Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:17:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1341231 times)
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #1610 on: March 25, 2014, 03:40:44 PM

Facebook is the new myspace.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #1611 on: March 25, 2014, 04:26:18 PM

And suddenly, I lost all interest in Oculus Rift, as a user and as a developer.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1612 on: March 25, 2014, 04:36:18 PM

And suddenly, I lost all interest in Oculus Rift, as a user...

+1.  Sony Morpheus all the way now  why so serious?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1613 on: March 25, 2014, 05:09:21 PM

Notch tweeted a bit ago that he was in talks to bring MC to the Rift and just pulled the deal on this announcement. 

I was going to be a late adopter to this technology prior to this; I might never touch it now. 
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1614 on: March 25, 2014, 05:15:06 PM

I just don't understand the valuation or the rationale at all. This is at its core a gaming peripheral, I don't see how it fits into Facebook's business. I can understand why they bought instagram, even though the $1bn they paid for that still seems mad; but at least that fit neatly into their ecosystem. I don't see how they expect oculus to work for them, it's just an all around strange decision.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1615 on: March 25, 2014, 05:26:30 PM

The theory being proposed is that Zuck wants to turn FB into the new Google: buying up various off-center techs and firms in order to diversify and stay afloat.  He's seen the writing on the wall left behind by MySpace, and he doesn't want history to repeat.

The sad part is that his strategy just might work, as long as he sticks to his word that nothing "bad" is going to happen/be changed as a result of the acquisition.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1616 on: March 25, 2014, 05:30:15 PM

I have a small-time investor of a coworker that's going gaga over this news.  He was quick to point out Notch's hypocrisy in saying that while he may not like FB, he still has a FB page of his own up and active; haters may hate, but they don't "have the balls to delete their account."

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1617 on: March 25, 2014, 05:39:54 PM

I'm not sure I really understand Notch's objection anyway. It's a piece of hardware, it will be good or it won't be good; I'm not sure why the deal would live or die on who ultimately writes the checks to the people who make it. Facebook doesn't strike me as particularly more or less evil than other companies he's partnered with already.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1618 on: March 25, 2014, 06:13:24 PM

Fucking lol how owned do the people who contributed to the kickstarter must feel?

Donated money to get the product off the ground and the company turns around and takes a payout of TWO BILLION earth dollars from the devil. Zach Braff sold his kickstarter movie for millions at Sundance btw.

Also $400 million of the 2 Bil is cash, the rest is what will likely be completely worthless facebook stock.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #1619 on: March 25, 2014, 06:29:07 PM

Even $400M seems like an optimistic valuation of the company; I'm sure they're not too heartbroken that the Zuc has decided to throw wads of cash at them.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1620 on: March 25, 2014, 06:41:43 PM

Of course not, they can just treat it like a fun sidejob now and fuck off with a shitzillion dollars when they get bored.

Zuck could've spent like $50 million and made a better VR set but nah fuck it Dotcom Bust 2.0 Google mentality bitches, even though facebook doesn't have the actual liquidity or uh a revenue model like google

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1621 on: March 25, 2014, 07:16:50 PM

Just found this on NeoGaf  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1622 on: March 25, 2014, 09:04:46 PM

A company whose service I don't use bought a company whose product I'm not interested in for an amount of money I could put to far better use.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I see Oculus and all other facehelmet VR systems as the equivalent of 3DTVs; fine for wealthy young gearheads with no children, but destined to fade into obscurity as people get older and realize, "hey, this is actually absurdly impractical if there's anyone else in the room."

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #1623 on: March 26, 2014, 12:14:09 AM

The sad part is that his strategy just might work, as long as he sticks to his word that nothing "bad" is going to happen/be changed as a result of the acquisition.

That's the same guy who said "privacy is dead" because social norms have chagned and later buys up all the houses around his mansion to safeguard his privacy.

Obviously he was only referring to common plebs. Fuck that guy.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1624 on: March 26, 2014, 03:41:31 AM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1625 on: March 26, 2014, 06:53:22 AM

Notch tweeted a bit ago that he was in talks to bring MC to the Rift and just pulled the deal on this announcement. 

I was going to be a late adopter to this technology prior to this; I might never touch it now. 
If anything could make that interesting, it's minecraft! Wow.

But yeah, facebook has already myspaced itself, but they myspaces HARDER. Not only is dad and grandpa on the network and loving it...they shot themselves by trying to cut the 'free' promotion of business. When they removed the feature to receive all of a page's updates, that was the actual death knell because even dad and grandpa want to see what the fuck grandma is saying and not just the fraction of what grandma is saying that facebook deems interesting. And that the reasoning is to drive advertising when they piss away money on the oculus rift? Ye gods.

I never went in for facebook until I started painting and I use it as an artist network. I miss way over half of most people's posts. I'd be pissed if I was using it as my primary social network.

Also, not saving the setting of 'most recent' and continuing to try and optimize the order posts come in is a daily annoyance. You should probably avoid annoying your users daily.

The market is ripe for a new tech that doesn't want to insert its ego.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1626 on: March 26, 2014, 08:38:06 AM

I worded it poorly.  I have no intention of playing MC on the Oculus.  Rather, I quit using FB almost a year ago and I'd rather not support them any further than I have to. 
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1627 on: March 26, 2014, 08:44:57 AM

The problem is that those companies have the tech first and are then desperately looking for an application and business model to go with it.

Facebook has no business case, Twitter has no business case, Google has no business case, Yahoo has no business case. All they have is lots of stupid venture capital money and no clue how to really make money except with advertising and user profiling.

Google makes over 90% of its revenue via advertising and profiling related services, Twitter makes over 90% of its meager non-VC-related revenue from advertising and related services and its the same for Facebook. That works as long as you are quasi monopolist because you monopolize eyeballs, it falls down as soon as you lose those eyeballs.

They all pretty much buy everything that moves to get to a business case once the stupid money runs out. The biggest threat to both Google and Facebook is people leaving, because they don't make money from service fees or subscriptions or by selling products, they make money via advertising. Twitter hopes that it can survive on VC infusions until another company buys them and only God knows how Yahoo makes any money at all.

For their current 'business' to make any sense they have to be virtually everyhwere, any place,at any time. That's why Google wants to be on every device, that's why Facebook integrates or buys every service that is even remotely popular. Only it doesn't work. Googles advertising revenue is falling year over year despite that, facebook is bleeding users and both overextend themselvs with acquisitions and failed tech projects.

That's why Google buys companies like Boston Dynamics and Facebook buys Oculus (it will not be the last acquisition in that space): To have lots of 'old economy' businesses once they are no longer relevant as a targeted advertising platform. Which will happen sooner rather than later.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1628 on: March 26, 2014, 08:47:54 AM

even though facebook doesn't have the actual liquidity or uh a revenue model like google

Yes they do, and I think they made north of a billion for Q1 2013 with a net of 200+ million. Mostly through web/mobile ads. I'm too lazy to look up actual numbers, so I could be totally wrong.

Either way, fuck Facebook.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1629 on: March 26, 2014, 08:58:09 AM

even though facebook doesn't have the actual liquidity or uh a revenue model like google

Yes they do, and I think they made north of a billion for Q1 2013 with a net of 200+ million. Mostly through web/mobile ads. I'm too lazy to look up actual numbers, so I could be totally wrong.

You aren't wrong. Their cash flow is frankly absurd, and they are pulling in massive income marks in the last year alone. The major issue with them is how they are spending that cash, putting it into other large scale investment properties. Right now you have a company with essentially $11B in cash and short-term, and they are sitting on it or putting it into odd things. Were I an investor, I'd want to start seeing some return of that cash in the next 2 years.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1630 on: March 26, 2014, 09:12:05 AM

Facebook is nothing but a data gathering tool for the marketing industry. 

Fuck Facebook, indeed.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1631 on: March 26, 2014, 10:15:29 AM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
schild
Administrator

Reply #1632 on: March 26, 2014, 10:24:56 AM

Raph's entire thought process there relies on bullshit we don't have good tech for yet and Oculus isn't that good tech.

Oculus doesn't open up anything really, except to thrust Facebook into a market for which their current shit has no immediate or obvious use.

Basically, shit bought other shit because the other shit will let them look like shit with more breadth to shitty investors. Shit all around. Shit shit shit.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #1633 on: March 26, 2014, 10:45:50 AM

Zuckerburg must've been in a serious purple haze when he made this call...

I really cannot fathom what widespread usage he expects out of this... It's a pretty cool high end gaming toy for something like a flight game or FPS, but nobody besides hardcore gamers are going to drop hundreds of dollars on it.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1634 on: March 26, 2014, 10:56:21 AM

Google pulled like $13.5-$14 billion in Q3 of last year. Google of all places spending $2 billion on the Rift would still be stupid.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1635 on: March 26, 2014, 11:00:19 AM

Facebook is nothing but a data gathering tool for the marketing advertising industry. 

Fuck Facebook, indeed.
FIFY. Companies like Google and Facebook exist to sell advertising space. I.e. Google is not a "search" company -- they are an ad space company. Search is just something that helps them sell ad space.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1636 on: March 26, 2014, 11:24:33 AM

Facebook is nothing but a data gathering tool for the marketing advertising industry. 

Fuck Facebook, indeed.
FIFY. Companies like Google and Facebook exist to sell advertising space. I.e. Google is not a "search" company -- they are an ad space company. Search is just something that helps them sell ad space.

Clear Channel?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1637 on: March 26, 2014, 02:37:11 PM

I really cannot fathom what widespread usage he expects out of this... It's a pretty cool high end gaming toy for something like a flight game or FPS, but nobody besides hardcore gamers are going to drop hundreds of dollars on it.

He took the same drugs eBay execs were on when they bought Skype.

Also I'm already sick of "presence" and OR and Facebook are the literal opposites of it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #1638 on: March 26, 2014, 03:24:49 PM

I thought Microsoft bought Skype?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1639 on: March 26, 2014, 03:26:43 PM

From eBay after eBay realized they had no idea what they were going to do with Skype.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #1640 on: March 26, 2014, 03:43:43 PM

Raph's entire thought process there relies on bullshit we don't have good tech for yet and Oculus isn't that good tech.

Oculus doesn't open up anything really, except to thrust Facebook into a market for which their current shit has no immediate or obvious use.

Basically, shit bought other shit because the other shit will let them look like shit with more breadth to shitty investors. Shit all around. Shit shit shit.

Dude, you are not paying enough attention.

Beacons got installed in all Apple stores last month, and push ads with opt-out to all phones that come near. Trial is moving to Macy's next.

Google bought Nest for a reason. They've had the indoor mapping project going for a while now, and it works. Plus there's the new project that 3d scans everything in a room. Did you miss that video?

We're already geofencing and annotating everything. Why else do you think Google bought Zagat? What do you think Yelp is? What do you think your FB profile is?

Like I said, the clunky headset is a ways from getting fixed. But the client isn't the part that matters.

Do I think that this acquisition is the right path to the Metaverse? No. But to think that the AR-world isn't hurtling headlong towards you is to bury your head in the sand. VR will be a small subset of this new networked environment, for the purposes primarily of entertainment, with strong verticals in training & education and a minor one in telepresence.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #1641 on: March 26, 2014, 04:40:05 PM

If being trolled by Schild is what's getting you to post again then more power to him.
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #1642 on: March 26, 2014, 05:02:52 PM

I post all the time. Check the guitar & fish tank threads.  why so serious?
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1643 on: March 26, 2014, 07:14:33 PM

I see battery tech being the big barrier to the real gee-whiz Shadowrun AR stuff. Google Glass/Oculus/etc will get smaller/better but powering all of this for any length of time is pretty much hitting its limit with current battery tech. I haven't looked at it in a while but last time I checked is there any real game-changers coming down the pipe in that area?

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1644 on: March 26, 2014, 09:13:36 PM

Today was a bad day to be a copyright troll.

King's stock price dropped a whopping 15.56%, making it the worst first day performance of any IPO in US history.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/133280-King-Faces-Worst-First-Day-in-US-Trading-History-Stock-Drops-15

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: