Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340989 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #1155 on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:15 PM

Correct.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #1156 on: July 30, 2013, 03:08:38 AM

Realms of Arkania was just released on steam as a total pile of crap that has pretty much everything broken or unfinished  ACK!
(guess it's my own fault for thinking they'd manage to do a graphically updated version of the old game and not totally muck the release)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1157 on: July 30, 2013, 04:44:24 AM

Yes. Some might argue that Phil deserves what he gets since he threatened his ex-partner with violence as shown in the movie, if I remember correctly. However gamers are really broken when it comes to this sort of stuff. Penny Arcade has more here:

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/swimming-in-a-sea-of-shit-the-internets-war-against-creatives
Please don't ever quote Ken Buchera pieces like they're insightful or informative or well written thanks.

Also I could give a shit if a 1000 people threaten me over the internet because so far how many devs have gotten home invaded, shot, stabbed, or had a fucking pie thrown at them after they said a dumb thing and got twitter hate? Zero? I'm pretty willing to bet zero.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:49:05 AM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #1158 on: July 30, 2013, 05:47:46 AM

I don't know if any game has been canceled because of threats, but if that were ever the case I think it should be respected.

A threat is a threat. It's bad for everyone, except eventually you Fabricated, but if you have any kind of anxiety disorder it can cripple your life no matter how real it is.
I don't like this Fish guy one bit, but threats are just disgusting and no one should question how the victim of it chooses to cope.

In fact, the point of a threat is seldom to physically harm someone, it is to inflict psychological harm and emotional distress.

Do not blame victims of violence and cowardice.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1159 on: July 30, 2013, 05:53:58 AM

I'm not victim blaming; I'm just saying that if you're going to be made neurotic by twitter threats or assholes on the internet in general you're going to have a very miserable life if you have any contact with the public at large.

Maybe it's just because I grew up with this shit. I've had idiots threatening to kill me online since I started playing counterstrike and TFC. Hell, I got a death threat or two over the phone every month when I worked for my county government as a record keeper when I'd have to dig up divorce decrees for disturbed individuals. You kinda get over it.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1160 on: July 30, 2013, 11:39:57 AM

I think there's a really good chance that this is some kind of stunt in any case. Note the Andy Kaufman twitter avatar.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1161 on: July 30, 2013, 11:40:41 AM

It's a shitty stunt when the guy performing it is sort of a shitheel bitch and there's ample video of him behaving like a shitheel bitch.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1162 on: July 30, 2013, 11:42:06 AM

Shitheel bitches often see themselves in Kaufman.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1163 on: July 30, 2013, 11:42:25 AM

I feel like someone should inform them that's not how it works.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1164 on: July 30, 2013, 11:46:14 AM

If Fish wants to do the equivalent of wrestling women and being a heel in the Video Game industry he has a lot to learn, because there are a lot of people better at it than him.

Also seriously someone tell Cliffy B to fuck off of the internet and never speak again.

schild
Administrator

Reply #1165 on: July 30, 2013, 01:05:59 PM

Cliffy B is still alive?
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1166 on: July 30, 2013, 02:06:07 PM

I'm not victim blaming; I'm just saying that if you're going to be made neurotic by twitter threats or assholes on the internet in general you're going to have a very miserable life if you have any contact with the public at large.

I don't know about that, people over the internet - especially in the gaming sphere - act like raving jackholes in a way that doesn't happen in real life often.  You can't go up to your secretary, call her an ugly cunt, say you're going to rape her daughter and that you hope she dies, and then go back to your office without expecting some serious talks with HR in your immediate future.  I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to be insulted and I can certainly empathize with someone who just decided to not deal with that level of shit.

Yes, there are some jobs where you have to deal with complete dickbags in which this kind of environment is normal, and yes, if you can't take the occasional jab without breaking down you're probably going to have trouble dealing with people.  But I don't think it follows that it's normal or excusable to act like that, or that normal people should be expected to just put up with it.

(I suppose this is less in line with the whole Fish thing, which I think has a history I don't know much about, and more to do with the general atmosphere of WTF that's been sloshed in to the same bucket in a lot of news stories and podcasts, like the CoD patch notes that resulted in the community rep getting death threats for making balance changes)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #1167 on: July 30, 2013, 02:48:05 PM

Or, you know, just not have a Twitter account. I honestly don't see why that's not an option for these jackholes instead of just cancelling the game. How often do you have to deal with the raving nutjobs if you aren't on twitter or forums?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1168 on: July 30, 2013, 03:32:57 PM

Social media is, generally speaking, a net marketing plus, even with the troll population.

KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1169 on: July 30, 2013, 03:44:26 PM

It's posted on the Polytron website so unless it's an elaborate hoax it's true.

I'm not too sad about it, although I seem to be the only one that didn't find Fez that amazing (though it could be indie platformer fatigue). 
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1170 on: July 30, 2013, 04:16:10 PM

Social media is, generally speaking, a net marketing plus, even with the troll population.

Based on what exactly? How is the head of the company being on Twitter do anything but open you up for the scenario we see here, or them saying something even dumber off the cuff and damaging the brand?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1171 on: July 30, 2013, 04:58:00 PM

This is a bit of a special case, because he's Phil Fish and odds are he's trolling everyone to start with. A counter-example would be how much goodwill Mark Rosewater's blog and twitter account generate for Magic. When done right it's a big enough positive that almost everyone will try to do it.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1172 on: July 30, 2013, 06:01:48 PM

This. You can't be an indie without a social presence and it is a HUGE audience builder for someone who is never going to get an audience otherwise.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1173 on: July 30, 2013, 08:17:58 PM

I don't know about that, people over the internet - especially in the gaming sphere - act like raving jackholes in a way that doesn't happen in real life often.  You can't go up to your secretary, call her an ugly cunt, say you're going to rape her daughter and that you hope she dies, and then go back to your office without expecting some serious talks with HR in your immediate future.  I don't think it's unreasonable to not want to be insulted and I can certainly empathize with someone who just decided to not deal with that level of shit.

Internet hate is easy to propagate but also easy to ignore.

Look, if you are in any way a public figure someone somewhere is going to say a mean thing about you. Using that as an excuse to quit, to claim that there is some sort of war against "creatives" (is this war more or less hard fought than the war against Christmas?) or whatever the fuck is pathetic and lazy.

Ben Kuchera is an asshole and a bully. Phil Fish is an asshole and a bully. These are two of the last guys who should be complaining about mean people. "Asshole's feelings hurt by other assholes." Who cares? Ben Kuchera went on a Twitter tirade a while back about how someone should become broke and penniless for writing an article an emulation. Now I'm supposed to feel sorry for him and his friends?

That's not to say assholes making threats are in the right, but at the end of the day I find it hard to care, especially when the people complaining about them are doing the same things themselves.

"Phil Fish upset other people on internet acting like Phil Fish."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:26:55 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1174 on: July 30, 2013, 08:38:26 PM

I just want to say I fully support Fab's pie-throwing mafia initiative.

Should probably also pack a squirting flower just to be safe.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1175 on: August 12, 2013, 07:25:01 PM

Stardock is pleased to announce that it has secured Atari's rights to the classic franchise, Star Control with the intent to develop a new Star Control game. Development on the new game would begin this Fall with a release date to be determined later.

"We would be looking at Star Control 2 as a major source of inspiration," said Brad Wardell, President & CEO of Stardock.

Welp.

Edit: Oh, I guess this happened in late July.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:27:10 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #1176 on: August 12, 2013, 08:04:46 PM

Star Control... Brad Wardell, President & CEO of Stardock.

SOME *CAMPERS* ARE NOT SO GOOD FOR *GAMES*
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #1177 on: August 13, 2013, 11:35:21 AM

Whoa, that is out of left field. I was under the impression that the rights to Star Control were, like, irretrievably fragmented between multiple defunct companies. Atari's just been sitting on them? I guess it's a cult-y enough classic that there isn't a ton of marketing value to be gained there but it's still strange that that corpse has gone relatively unhumped until now.

I should get around to finishing SC2.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1178 on: August 13, 2013, 11:56:39 AM

There's a bunch of stuff they don't have control over still I believe - I'm pretty sure that the only thing Stardock actually bought was the name and maybe the new stuff from SC 3.

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #1179 on: August 15, 2013, 11:11:15 AM

All they need is the name.  What other value is there?

I have never played WoW.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1180 on: August 16, 2013, 07:53:14 AM

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #1181 on: August 16, 2013, 09:16:23 AM

So why do people hate her?  Does she write legitimately awful stories destroying beloved characters or is this just an over-reaction from the Tali Sweat Gang?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1182 on: August 16, 2013, 09:24:40 AM

This xbox thingy where they give you 2 games free every month is getting good.  I just got Dead Rising 2 and that thingy what goes with it, which I have but haven't played on the PC.  I'd probably like it better on the xbox anyway.  Last time I got Crackdown, dunno what that is yet and before that, Assassin's Creed 2 - which I have for PC and hardly played too.   I noticed, however, that there's all these Dungeon and Dragon games that I've never heard of... what are they?  Like little campaigns from the olden days?  Or are they full sized rpg games?  Maybe this is why I like the 360 so much.  The first and sixteenth of every month is like xmas.  They've also announced Diablo 3 for the xbox.  I don't know if it's ready or not.  I do know how much everyone loved it.  :p  Including me... I think I played it for several hours before giving it away.  I don't think I'll be buying that one for the 360!

I'm so glad everyone here using the name 360.  I keep forgetting which letter gets capitalised.

You can call me Chuck.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1183 on: August 16, 2013, 09:39:39 AM

The Capcom D&D games are old arcade games, basically fantasy versions of Final Fight.

There are also some vaguely Diablo-style D&D games on XBLA I think. Not sure if those are actually D&D games officially or not.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #1184 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:49 AM

The US government really needs to get off their asses about this stuff. There needs to be serious repercussions to people who make death threats on the internet, in any form.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1185 on: August 16, 2013, 10:03:03 AM

All they need is the name.  What other value is there?
The races and the ships.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1186 on: August 16, 2013, 10:04:09 AM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #1187 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:07 AM

A writer everyone hates quit their job to write.

I uh, what?
schild
Administrator

Reply #1188 on: August 16, 2013, 10:12:04 AM

(ASSUME ANY LINK TO ED IS NSFW) https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Jennifer_Hepler

lol
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1189 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:11 AM

The US government really needs to get off their asses about this stuff. There needs to be serious repercussions to people who make death threats on the internet, in any form.

Threats of any kind should be harshly dealt with by the law.  General douchbaggery should not, though some countries (like the UK) are prosecuting people for being dicks online.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: