Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1341006 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #945 on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:58 PM

How will they mess this one up?
Maybe they could give that license to Cyanide?
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #946 on: March 19, 2013, 06:56:00 PM

How will they mess this one up?
Maybe they could give that license to Cyanide?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #947 on: March 19, 2013, 06:58:54 PM

The 40k game is going to be "simultaneous release on iPad and PC" so I don't expect it to be tremendously complex.

EDIT: On the other hand I just realized who Slitherine is. Hmmm. Almost makes me wonder if it will be a strategic-level 40k game rather than unit-level, I don't think we've seen one of those ever?

While Slitherine's products haven't really amazed me so far, they atleast know how to make a proper turn based strategy game. I just hope they won't water it down too much to appeal to the main stream (and to make it work on ipad). I wish someone (like Paradox) would make a game like HoI2 that is either fantasy or scifi (with somewhat random events to replace the historical ww2 stuff)

Meh, if Paradox is doing it, you can be sure they're going to go with stripped down vanillas and then throwing 'minor features packs' at it for $10.00 every quarter year basis...
I'm kinda annoyed they did that, but I bought them at sales price that totals around $10-20, which is pretty good for a 100-hr game.

But the DLC policy is definitely driving me away from Day 1 purchase.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #948 on: March 20, 2013, 11:03:06 AM

The 40k game is going to be "simultaneous release on iPad and PC" so I don't expect it to be tremendously complex.

EDIT: On the other hand I just realized who Slitherine is. Hmmm. Almost makes me wonder if it will be a strategic-level 40k game rather than unit-level, I don't think we've seen one of those ever?

While Slitherine's products haven't really amazed me so far, they atleast know how to make a proper turn based strategy game. I just hope they won't water it down too much to appeal to the main stream (and to make it work on ipad). I wish someone (like Paradox) would make a game like HoI2 that is either fantasy or scifi (with somewhat random events to replace the historical ww2 stuff)

Meh, if Paradox is doing it, you can be sure they're going to go with stripped down vanillas and then throwing 'minor features packs' at it for $10.00 every quarter year basis...
I'm kinda annoyed they did that, but I bought them at sales price that totals around $10-20, which is pretty good for a 100-hr game.

Head scratch

I don't know where you're getting Paradox into the mix. Slitherine self-publishes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #949 on: March 20, 2013, 12:09:31 PM

Head scratch

I don't know where you're getting Paradox into the mix. Slitherine self-publishes.

I'm guessing in the quote he was responding to. Just a hunch. why so serious?
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #950 on: March 21, 2013, 10:35:10 AM

M&M X announcement trailer

I think I might actually be looking forward to this if they actually stick to the "old-school" (and make a proper pc game)  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #951 on: March 21, 2013, 11:26:18 AM

First-person and  turn-based? ...from Ubisoft ?

Cautiously optimistic.

Edit: This is apparently being developed by the German Limbic Entertainment, whose only titles I recognize (in a very small catalog) are the two expasnions for Heroes of Might & Magic VI. Were those any good?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 11:30:25 AM by koro »
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #952 on: March 22, 2013, 07:48:20 AM

The new speculation regarding Blizzard is that it's an online interpretation of the WoW TCG.  I might actually bite at that.

HOLY SHIT.  INTERNET RUMORS ARE TRUE!

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #953 on: March 22, 2013, 08:07:03 AM

I don't know, it specifically says that it is for everyone.  I don't usually like games that are made for everyone.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #954 on: March 22, 2013, 08:17:09 AM

This is not the WoW TCG. It's not even an interpretation of it as far as I can tell. I don't understand why they're doing this.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #955 on: March 22, 2013, 08:18:45 AM

Micro-transactions for booster packs.

i.e. lots and lots of money from mobile gamers.
schild
Administrator

Reply #956 on: March 22, 2013, 08:19:48 AM

Sure, but they could've done that by just translating the generally accepted as "this is the only alternative to Magic" to mobile platforms. They wouldn't even have to do card design if they'd just done the WoW TCG.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #957 on: March 28, 2013, 02:38:17 PM

Chinese copyright infringement game of the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjrjZc5tfRI
Project Tank!

(It's totally not World of Tanks in a browser, nosirree!)

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #958 on: April 01, 2013, 04:59:58 PM

So...is this like the first year that Blizzard didn't actually do something for April Fool's Day?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #959 on: April 02, 2013, 06:19:27 AM

No one gives half a turd about their shenanigans.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #960 on: April 02, 2013, 07:12:36 AM

So...is this like the first year that Blizzard didn't actually do something for April Fool's Day?

They did a Starcraft 2 joke, but really only people who participated in HotS beta or followed the balance patches would get it. 

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/9369235/Situation_Report_--_April_1_2013-3_31_2013

It was actually accompanied by your worker units having a chance to spawn as little mini warhounds in multiplayer games (they had the normal stats of workers, they just changed the model).

Kind of weak.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #961 on: April 02, 2013, 09:43:23 AM

The last year has been the joke.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #962 on: April 04, 2013, 07:23:55 AM

So is Zynga dipping it's toe into online gambling of any significance.  Part of me thinks this will be hugely profitable but then again it isn't something many others aren't already doing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #963 on: April 05, 2013, 06:34:00 AM

Not shocking.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #964 on: April 05, 2013, 07:39:22 AM

Is that the company where people figured out they were manipulating the cards dealt in their non gambling rmt version of poker so that you had to buy more chips?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #965 on: April 05, 2013, 01:46:56 PM

http://www.ea.com/news/we-can-do-better?websso=1

Good job Consumerist, your stupid fucking poll's given EA the room to thump its chest and not look completely unsympathetic doing so.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #966 on: April 05, 2013, 01:48:24 PM

That poll is so  swamp poop. Good job internet people.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #967 on: April 05, 2013, 01:50:59 PM

I guess the creative director at Microsoft Studios does not get why anyone would mind having an 'always on' console. He tweeted some stupid comments, some people called him on it and now he has marked everything private. Apparently the whole SimCity debacle was no big deal to him.

Forbes
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #968 on: April 06, 2013, 11:53:49 AM

Microsoft PR attempts to calm people down, without actually addressing the always-on issue:

“We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.  We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.”

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #969 on: April 06, 2013, 04:40:48 PM

Microsoft PR attempts to calm people down, without actually addressing the always-on issue:

“We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers.  We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter.”

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

I posted the twitter exchange in the funny pic thread.

Would love to be in the room when Balmer gives this guy a good dressing down... Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #970 on: April 06, 2013, 07:23:52 PM

Enh, Balmer wouldn't scare me right now.  If he tried, I'd just start repeating, "Windows 8" over and over.

calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #971 on: April 08, 2013, 04:10:58 AM

Interview with Paul Thurott about the new Xbox. Youtube (starting 54m44s)

Some highlights:

• With Xbox720 introduction a new Xbox360, codename 'Stingray' will launched. Pricepoint 99$.
  • Due to this Thurott speculates the 720 wont be downward compatible.
  • Price will be in the range of 500$ or 300$ plus subscription.
  • Always on requirement confirmed.
  • Presentation will be on 21st May (originally planed 24th April).
  • MS sees Apple as their main competition, not Sony or Nintendo.
  • Market for 'people who always buy next Gears of War, Halo, COD & sit with controller in front of TV at night is finite' 'Market for little mobile games, facebook games is billions'
  • 'Hardcore gamer types will always buy what they release, but mass market won't spend 500 bucks on a device that sits in your living room' thus:
  • Multimedia-only version (non-gaming device, codename 'Yuma') of the Xbox already in planning.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:12:33 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #972 on: April 08, 2013, 06:17:58 AM

Interview with Paul Thurott about the new Xbox. Youtube (starting 54m44s)

Some highlights:

• With Xbox720 introduction a new Xbox360, codename 'Stingray' will launched. Pricepoint 99$.
  • Due to this Thurott speculates the 720 wont be downward compatible.
  • Price will be in the range of 500$ or 300$ plus subscription.
  • Always on requirement confirmed.
  • Presentation will be on 21st May (originally planed 24th April).
  • MS sees Apple as their main competition, not Sony or Nintendo.
  • Market for 'people who always buy next Gears of War, Halo, COD & sit with controller in front of TV at night is finite' 'Market for little mobile games, facebook games is billions'
  • 'Hardcore gamer types will always buy what they release, but mass market won't spend 500 bucks on a device that sits in your living room' thus:
  • Multimedia-only version (non-gaming device, codename 'Yuma') of the Xbox already in planning.

I am not a fan of the direction console gaming is headed. Does any of this seem like a good idea?
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #973 on: April 08, 2013, 06:44:20 AM

Yes, because the PS3 at a $500 price point did so well, too.

Popcorn

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #974 on: April 08, 2013, 06:48:57 AM

They are really not making the case for me switching from the 360.

Looks like what they really want to do is leverage the Xbox name into an AppleTV competitor.

Which sounds like a good way to piss off their customers (increase the cost of the box, add value in areas the base customer doesn't really care for, and not in areas they do) and try to sell it to an entirely DIFFERENT customer base.

About the only bright side there is the new, cheaper 360 seems to be entirely hedging their bet.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #975 on: April 08, 2013, 07:10:53 AM

Console gaming is dead, long live pc gaming!
Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #976 on: April 08, 2013, 07:28:56 AM

Doesn't it just seem like they are going to end up with a watered down product? When you try to do everything, you end up doing none of it very well.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #977 on: April 08, 2013, 07:55:21 AM

Always online for a console is complete bollocks. That's one of the few features of a console that has always been a selling point away from the PC.

Also, what metric is telling these people that Facebook and mobile games are the future? I hope they aren't using Zynga as an example since the execs are now getting sued over their bullshit sales we called out almost a year ago

They should win that suit, and Zynga should be bankrupt soon. They have been pushing heavy losses for 2 years in a row, with no signs of recovery.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #978 on: April 08, 2013, 08:32:37 AM

This is such an opportunity for Sony. No online requirement, allow used games and the nextbox is out of the game for a generation.

Mithas
Terracotta Army

Reply #979 on: April 08, 2013, 08:34:14 AM

This is such an opportunity for Sony. No online requirement, allow used games and the nextbox is out of the game for a generation.

I don't have faith in them. I would assume they will just follow suit.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: