Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  (Read 1340842 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #875 on: February 08, 2013, 07:27:48 AM

We don't seem to have time to manage such things.  Even NiX has gotten too busy now that he's in high school.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #876 on: February 08, 2013, 07:42:04 AM

It's just not worth managing such things.
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #877 on: February 08, 2013, 08:21:23 AM

Oh I understand that, I just wondered if there was some site "out there" which might do it.  I'll do some googling when I finish out this week's homework, just wondering if someone else knew off the top of their head.

And wait, NIX is in high school?  wat

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #878 on: February 08, 2013, 08:25:08 AM

He is hoping the mustache will start growing in a couple years.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #879 on: February 08, 2013, 11:44:52 AM

Even NiX has gotten too busy now that he's in high school.
Yeg just won the Useless Gaming thread.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #880 on: February 09, 2013, 08:27:35 PM

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #881 on: February 11, 2013, 03:57:24 PM

Are we not talking about the Feb 20 Sony "change the way you play" announcement?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #882 on: February 11, 2013, 04:24:02 PM

You are an incredible manbeast Sky.  I don't care what everyone else says about you.  Thank you sir!

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #883 on: February 11, 2013, 06:39:35 PM

No, that's pretty much what they all say.

I was surprised to see that site still live, I used it over ten years ago pretty regularly.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #884 on: February 11, 2013, 07:38:09 PM

Are we not talking about the Feb 20 Sony "change the way you play" announcement?

Everyone thinks it'll be the PS4, I predict it'll be yet another skew on the PS3. Maybe the PS3 THIN!!!!!

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #885 on: February 11, 2013, 08:30:54 PM

A 4th PS3 model? They already have the super slim or whatever. A new Vita and/or a Vita price drop would be my guess if it's not the PS4.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #886 on: February 11, 2013, 08:59:18 PM

Playstation Fleshlight

Heard it here first folks!

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #887 on: February 12, 2013, 12:48:37 AM

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #888 on: February 12, 2013, 01:44:33 AM

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #889 on: February 12, 2013, 08:02:45 AM

Whatever Sony's announcement will be, it will be shitty.  A PS3.5 with fewer features perhaps, or some forced-upgrade shit, or the PS4 which would really be a PS3.5 anyway... hard to tell.

MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #890 on: February 12, 2013, 09:50:48 AM

Whatever Sony's announcement will be, it will be shitty.  A PS3.5 with fewer features perhaps, or some forced-upgrade shit, or the PS4 which would really be a PS3.5 anyway... hard to tell.

That's the rumor mill's best guess.  PS3.5
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #891 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:23 AM

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #892 on: February 12, 2013, 10:54:12 AM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #893 on: February 12, 2013, 07:10:03 PM

That's the rumor mill's best guess.  PS3.5
I literally have no idea why they would make a PS3.5; what would that even entail? There are already 3 different PS3 models (really more than 10 if you count different HDs and such), one of which is less than 6 months old; what could they possibly add to the system that would justify a new purchase outside of an actual new system? PS2 backwards compatibility again? At this point, why even bother? And what else do people wish their PS3 did that it doesn't do already? No, there won't be a PS3.5 because that'd be fucking stupid and we already got the closest thing to it with the super slim model. If this announcement isn't the PS4 it's going to be a huge disappointment.

What I've heard is that there's going to be a new 4G Vita coming out to replace the 3G with some minor redesigns on the system (including a possible HDMI out), and a price drop on memory cards. I'm not sure if that announcement is coming on the 20th or during E3 but I'm reasonably sure it's happening this year.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #894 on: February 13, 2013, 06:47:22 AM

You see, it probably would be called a PS4 but I'd wonder if it deserved the increment.  Version numbers became marketing tools quite a number of years ago.  I can't imagine any actual features which would require a purchase, so I'm betting on it being a manufacturing overhaul to save cash, coupled with some sort of Vita/PSN/DRM updates.  Also note the PS3 is basically open to pirates now, and a new machine would mitigate that going forward.

Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #895 on: February 13, 2013, 08:43:23 AM

The rumour mill here regarding the Sony announcement is completely different to somewhere so will be interesting to see which is true.

Generally assumed the announcement is the new PS4, running a completely different chip set that allows for much easier coding rather than the attrocious cell processor. Graphics power is supposed to be looking at 1080p at60fps (which makes sense given where pc graphics cards currently are compared to the current cnonsole generation).

Zero backwards compatibility due to the change in chipset, and headline launch games to include Killzone 4 in 2013. New console ships in Japan and USA this year, and Europe early next year. (Cause Sony hates its biggest market).
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #896 on: February 14, 2013, 01:28:47 AM

Jesse Schell: Releasing a demo harms your game sales

Article is mostly just a link to the original presentation, so no easy quoting. I'll sum it up a bit:

Average Sales for X-Box games:

no Demo, no Trailer: 100k
     Demo, no Trailer: 200k
     Demo,     Trailer: 250k
no Demo,      Trailer: 500k

'Wait, we spent all this money creating a demo and getting it out there and it cut our sales in half? Yes, that's exactly what happened to you.'

Reasoning: Marketing creates a wish, "an utopia" in the players mind, often this demand is often met by playing the demo, is there no demo the player has no choice but to by the game.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

Reply #897 on: February 14, 2013, 01:58:18 AM

I always thought that was because the demo showed what a bunch of bullshit they've been feeding you with the trailers.  So, no demo with trailer option really turns into get as many sales as possible before people find out.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #898 on: February 14, 2013, 02:58:22 AM

Seems a little like leaping to conclusions for me. The stuff they know is going to sell a million copies never needs a demo.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #899 on: February 14, 2013, 03:01:39 AM

Sort of related, but I found this talk by Dave Gilbert (developer of the Blackwell series, publisher of Gemini Rue / Resonance / Primordia) pretty interesting... could be worth a look if you're interested what it takes to make/market/publish a point-and-click retro adventure game nowadays and why throwing more money at an adventure game's graphical assets doesn't necessarily make everything better.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #900 on: February 14, 2013, 04:29:38 AM

I think a demo for a bad game just helps some people see it's bad. A great game, on the other hand, doesn't need a demo generally because word of mouth is such a strong selling force among gamers. The only time I can see a demo helping a game is a great game that comes from such an obscure source that the demo is needed to get it attention. I suppose you could say that Minecraft's alpha and early beta builds were sorta kinda an example of that.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #901 on: February 14, 2013, 06:26:31 AM

So lie till day 1 release = more sales?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #902 on: February 14, 2013, 07:42:29 AM

The problem with that strategy is that it usually only works once.  Usually.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #903 on: February 14, 2013, 09:14:36 AM

Ask DICE about the value of a demo.

If you have a fun game and can show it off in a limited form that makes people want more. Demo.

If not, probably better to skip the demo.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #904 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:50 PM

Seems a little like leaping to conclusions for me. The stuff they know is going to sell a million copies never needs a demo.

This. It's quite a stretch to take those numbers and reach that conclusion. In general though conventional wisdom is that you should have a demo if you need visibility, not if you already have it.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
BLUND
Terracotta Army

Reply #905 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49:15 PM

A demo of a bad game will lower sales.
A demo of a good game will raise sales.
There are way more bad games than good games.
Therefore, on average, demos will lower sales, but on an individual basis, the deciding factor is quality.

...or a COD logo.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #906 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:03 AM

So apparently Watch Dogs is coming out for 'all home consoles' this year according to some 'leaked' sales materials:

This was easily the highlight of E3 2012 for me, so here's hoping, anyway.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #907 on: February 27, 2013, 04:14:18 AM

Sqeenix trademarks the name 'Deus Ex: Human Defiance'

Not sure what this relates to, a game, a WiiU port, or possibly a movie, but it's something.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #908 on: February 27, 2013, 05:56:33 AM

I forgot I was going to do this, but I just tested ShadowHearts 2 in PCSX2 v1.0.0 and I'm happy to report that moving from a Radeon HD 4870 to a GTX 650 has eliminated all issues with the opening cinematics.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #909 on: February 27, 2013, 12:53:35 PM

Blizzard to show something new at PAX East.

As mentioned in the invite, this is a little something, different from what we’ve previously announced or talked about, and not a sequel, etc,
http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/yep-blizzard-is-showing-something-new-and-interesting-at-pax-east

Call of Duty Warcraft edition or mobile game imo.  Pick your poison wisely =p
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 155 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Useless gaming news & chatter  
Jump to: