Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:02:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992830 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #35 on: December 13, 2010, 04:57:19 PM

Rather than write "familiar," I always use "proficient."

Minor, but it sounds better.

That pisses me off.  "Knowledgeable" maybe - but claim you are proficient and you AREN'T I will not only slash your name from my list but will let some other people know not to hire you.

RAR!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: December 13, 2010, 05:25:01 PM

I'm not saying fib on your resume! I can't help it if you attract loads of choades into your interview rape dungeon.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 13, 2010, 05:32:55 PM

I'm not saying fib on your resume! I can't help it if you attract loads of choades into your interview rape dungeon.

Claiming proficiency in the case of the level of experience that Lantyssa mentioned in those systems would constitute fibbing though.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #38 on: December 13, 2010, 08:41:49 PM

Totally agree with Cheddar. We catch you using 'proficient' when what you really meant was you once sat in a seminar about it, we peg you to the wall like a butterfly.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #39 on: December 15, 2010, 12:52:59 PM

My company is hiring for people with PeopleSoft/HRIS experience. Priority is for Consultants and Business Analysts, but we're very much short staffed and expanding fast. We're located in Mississauga, ON (403/Hurontario). You can read up on the company here.

I don't have job descriptions because we're in the process of revamping all of ours, but the company works on the premise that anyone with a little bit of exposure can learn to be an expert.

If you're interested, send me a PM.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:54:57 PM by NiX »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #40 on: December 20, 2010, 04:04:21 PM

We are hiring in the Hampton Roads area for Consumer Sales.

https://www22.verizon.com/about/careers/openings/HJOBP000000003271835.html?sp=0

fyi - Training will be in Virginia Beach with the entire center being moved to Hampton by April.  Full benefits, good pay, etc etc.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #41 on: December 20, 2010, 09:09:26 PM

Link doesn't work for me Cheddar.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 03:33:33 PM

Link doesn't work for me Cheddar.

Try verizon.com/fiberjobs and search for your state.  We have a ton of positions opening across our footprint.

FYI - when something DOES post make sure you apply within 24 hours.  Jobs with Verizon go QUICK.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 09:35:56 AM

Dropbox are hiring and the list of benefits are funny.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 12:00:24 PM

One extra gig of space?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 02:08:14 PM

That's not that unusual for startup jobs here in the SF Bay Area. The company I work for has similar "benefits" (no arcade DDR machine though).

Google, which of course is not a startup anymore, has really ridiculous "benefits".

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/googleplex2.htm
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/googleplex3.htm

But even with all that they are losing people to companies like Facebook.

Competition for top notch engineers is really fierce right now here.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 02:11:41 PM

Why is was this in Serious Business?
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 03:37:26 PM

That's not that unusual for startup jobs here in the SF Bay Area. The company I work for has similar "benefits" (no arcade DDR machine though).

Google, which of course is not a startup anymore, has really ridiculous "benefits".

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/googleplex2.htm
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/googleplex3.htm

But even with all that they are losing people to companies like Facebook.

Competition for top notch engineers is really fierce right now here.

Google's a big place, and while it's far less broken than most companies of its size and generally a great place to work, a tiny startup it is not.

I kinda scratch my head at the folks leaving to work for Facebook -- I could certainly see going to throw the dice at another startup at some point, but Facebook would not be a place I'd leave for.  Yuck.

Competition for great engineers is always fierce -- even well after the dot com bubble burst when people were leaving the bay area and traffic seemed to be getting better, hiring really good engineers was hard to do.  The good people tend to not have trouble finding jobs.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:30 PM

I kinda scratch my head at the folks leaving to work for Facebook -- I could certainly see going to throw the dice at another startup at some point, but Facebook would not be a place I'd leave for.  Yuck.
It's pre-IPO and Goggle's stock isn't going up like it did in its early years post-IPO.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 02:20:26 AM

And from what I've heard through the grapevine, the people moving are getting a *lot* of options.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 02:37:47 AM

Someone obviously took the name at face value.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 06:47:11 AM

Because this was made to remove the job hunt discussion from Useless Conversation.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 02:06:02 PM

And from what I've heard through the grapevine, the people moving are getting a *lot* of options.

I'm sure they are, but FB isn't small either.  I may be completely wrong, but I'm not convinced they're going to magically go public for a gazillion dollars and make everybody multi-millionaires.  Of course when I look back at the kind of total nonsense that made people money during the dotcom boom, who knows. ^^
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 05:03:47 PM

I'm sure they are, but FB isn't small either.  I may be completely wrong, but I'm not convinced they're going to magically go public for a gazillion dollars and make everybody multi-millionaires.  Of course when I look back at the kind of total nonsense that made people money during the dotcom boom, who knows. ^^

They were valued at $50 billion recently. There stock is trading at $25 per share right now putting them at an even higher valuation. (something like $257 billion at a $25 per share price IIRC)
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 05:10:04 PM

Yup.  Aware of that.  I think it's silly.  From what I know of how their technology works and how social networks have risen and fallen in the past, I fundamentally do not believe they are as unstoppable/undisplacable as the people who value them at $50B do. 

Might be I'm totally wrong and unable to embrace the future of the Internet which is like buttons and friends lists and absolutely no meaningful privacy control.  I've been wrong before.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #55 on: January 04, 2011, 06:16:11 AM

I do think you over-value privacy. Not personally, of course. But the sheep will willingly give up all their privacy for some stupid shiny.

Having an early gmail (my first initial + last name), I'm inundated with shit from everyone in THE WORLD with my initial + last name signing up for all kinds of shit. Maybe working in telemarketing when I was a kid lifted the curtain on this shit, pre-internet, for me. Who doesn't have a dozen emails and layers of obfuscation to at least attempt to stymie the non-stop assault of capitalism?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #56 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:07 AM

Facebook is going to make a fucking mint for the people that jumped ship when it goes public. Its realistic longterm viability is kinda meh, but that initial IPO is gonna be nuts. GS wouldn't be backing it and structuring it to milk the shit out to its HNW clients if it wasn't.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 25, 2011, 07:27:42 AM

Any IT people in or around Houston looking for work?

Need a new IT assistant.  Desktop/server support, security administration, some clerical duties.  No travel, 8-5, 2003/XP shop.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: February 25, 2011, 09:39:54 AM

I'll PM you.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 25, 2011, 11:14:59 AM

Tempted, but if I can't get the fiancee to bite on San Antonio I doubt she'll go for Houston :)
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 25, 2011, 12:04:10 PM

I know of NOC openings in both Dulles, VA  and in Georgetown.  Ping me if interested and I'll pass your info on to the appropriate people.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #61 on: February 26, 2011, 02:23:20 PM

Anyone here know anything about Roanoke?  Big opportunity coming up for me - but its a huge move.  Looks nice on the interwebs.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #62 on: February 26, 2011, 05:08:53 PM

Amazon is hiring++.  Jobs in EU, CDN (new dev center in TO opening), and US West Coast.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 27, 2011, 04:22:43 AM

Yeah, what's up with that ?  Tons of positions in the UK also...

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: February 27, 2011, 03:34:37 PM

Anyone here know anything about Roanoke?  Big opportunity coming up for me - but its a huge move.  Looks nice on the interwebs.

Yes! Awesome place. 100k population so big enough for most everything you need while maintaining a small town/mountain town feel. The economy weathered the recent downturn fairly well from what I have been told.
Its especially nice if you are into the outdoors at all (close to skiing, the Appalachian Trail, Blueridge Mountains, etc etc), if you are more into a thriving opera company and symphony not so much. I dont know anything about the local school system if you have kids.

Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #65 on: February 27, 2011, 06:15:44 PM

Most of the positions in Seattle are Kindle related, so I think they may be gearing up for a new Kindle launch, which is rather cool. I'm hoping for color, or maybe some enhanced tablet like functionality.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: February 28, 2011, 05:23:19 AM

Rumor has it that the Kindle's going to be free to anyone with a Prime account, so I'm guessing that might be it.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: February 28, 2011, 10:35:29 AM

Growth.  Not just Kindle.  Lots of dev centers around the world and new distribution centers opening for all ranges of skill (technical or otherwise).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: February 28, 2011, 11:26:58 AM

Eh, I didn't see much for my level of skill without a pretty big move backward or out of IT. Also it's another HR department with a hard-on for degrees. Whee.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: February 28, 2011, 12:18:57 PM

Eh, I didn't see much for my level of skill without a pretty big move backward or out of IT. Also it's another HR department with a hard-on for degrees. Whee.

FWIW I agree.  But if you have relevant experience some recruiters might still call. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: