Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:17:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992793 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3815 on: February 05, 2020, 12:27:27 PM

I was just reading the hot new thing is Brutalist Silence. At what point is it just designers trolling clients? https://www.dezeen.com/2020/02/04/brutalist-silence-co-working-office-interiors/

Awful.

Agreed, but makes working from home the other 20 days a month just that much more appealing.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3816 on: February 07, 2020, 05:57:15 AM

Starting a new gig in 2 weeks. I'm going to be the CFO of a franchisor with about 150 franchises in the US. It's a subsidiary of a company that's on the Nasdaq.

Private wealth was annoying and this is a much more casual culture, but they work hard which I like.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3817 on: February 07, 2020, 06:37:33 AM

Congrats! All the Accountants/CPAs I know fall into two camps, those who want steady work all year, and those who do nothing except 3+ months of tax crunch. Glad you're one of the former.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3818 on: February 07, 2020, 07:27:21 AM

Congrats! All the Accountants/CPAs I know fall into two camps, those who want steady work all year, and those who do nothing except 3+ months of tax crunch. Glad you're one of the former.

Thanks! Yeah I tried 5 years of the 3+ month tax work and then sit around. Drove me fucking nuts for the rest of the year because they wanted me to be in the office. Pointless.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3819 on: February 07, 2020, 11:02:05 AM

Friend of mine left a COO of Hooters to COO of Global Franchise Group. Oddly, their HQ is in Atlanta while nearly all the franchises are West Coast. This includes Hot Dog on a Stick, which I will find funny until the day I die.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3820 on: February 07, 2020, 12:41:39 PM

Being COO of Hooters seems like a job where you just get sued constantly or can't have a family because what woman wants to marry into that?

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3821 on: February 07, 2020, 06:29:44 PM

Hooters is very proudly a family oriented restaurant!

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3822 on: February 07, 2020, 08:21:44 PM

So, I'm job hunting online for the first time and it's awful. I've had to sign up for 5+ intermediary sites like Glassdoor, Indeed, LinkedIn, etc. just to submit resumes and applications. I put in for 7 different jobs, including three companies my current company does work for (and one direct competitor). I might drop off a resume in person at another direct competitor or two, too.

This was one of the most painful things about my layoff. Back in 1998, I worked putting my local newspaper's web site up, and one of the things we included was our job listings from the classifieds (back when that's how you looked for a job). I think at the time it was using an early iteration of Careerbuilder, which was fairly basic. The state of job web sites now is a fucking hate crime. Every site is designed with little to no UI knowledge or give-a-shit at all. Jobs are posted across multiple sites, and every 4th or 5th one requires you to sign up at yet ANOTHER fucking job site, all of which want to face fuck you with daily (sometimes multiple times a day) email alerts and even more annoying texting. 75% of the jobs never even send a response back. I got more responses from scammers trying to rope me into fraud via Google Hangouts than actual job interest. The other responses were all for shitty contract work by the same company staffed entirely by thick-accented Indian telemarketers who likely wanted to sell me into white slavery.

And after months of all that? The job I ended up getting I heard about because they had reached out to my former supervisor who also got laid off when they liquidated out department. He had just accepted another job and so turned me on to this opportunity. Those job sites are all literal cancer and I'd like to yeet them into the sun.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3823 on: February 08, 2020, 05:41:41 AM

Yeah job hunting was a fucking pain and I am still getting emails from one or two sites having unsubscribed half a dozen times. I kind of gave up expecting any response from most of the job roles, although it was annoying not getting responses from places that interviewed me.

Oh also the role I landed was one I got through attending a promotional 'career building' evening the company ran and their recruitment people reached out to me rather than any of the advertised roles. I found the more productive approach was going through corporate jobs pages and using the job searching sites to find company names rather than for applying for anything. Although some of the internal sites then redirected to glassdoor to apply through.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #3824 on: February 08, 2020, 09:06:49 AM

So I am leafing through Indeed and Glassdoor because networking into a CRO is pretty impossible for me. I try to hit a conference or two a year but the past 4 years I have been too busy, had a conflict at the time, or more often than not we have no funding for that stuff. Got a few hits and starting a second round of interviews with a company next week. My wife and I are trying our best to get the hell outta Pittsburgh for a multitude of reasons so utilizing all my local contacts does fuckall in terms of helping on that front. Luckily we are both working and my job specifically is pretty solid. Sadly the pay and advancement have ceased to exist and I am not going to be stuck at my meager salary for the rest of my career.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3825 on: February 08, 2020, 10:23:34 AM

Drupal still exists?  Maybe they can have you learn to make sites in Joomla! while they're at it.  why so serious?

Hey now!  Drupal 8 is THE enterprise open source CMS now.  Knowing it has done more for my pay than any other skill I have acquired in 30 years of IT work.

edit - all you guys bitching about internet job hunting must be 10x better at networking than I am.  Instead of the hell that is cold calling and pounding the pavement with a fistful of printed resumes,  I would rather post my resume to 5 or so sites, click an option that says yes i am looking for work, do a quick apply to 40 or 60 jobs then sit back and deal with the 15 calls a day from indian recruiters shocked that I dont want to drop everything and move 1k miles.  Maybe it is just that I now have way more experience than when i started but the last 3 jobs I have been hired for have been trivially easy to get.  The biggest downside is that it takes the recruiter phone spam about 6 months to die back down.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 11:09:53 AM by Salamok »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3826 on: February 08, 2020, 03:33:59 PM

Being willing to learn Drupal plus having 20+ years of experience designing web sites and over 10+ years of using CMS got me this job, so yeah, I'm fine with Drupal. It ain't my first choice but I can see some benefits of it.

Ease of use is not one of those benefits, though.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3827 on: February 10, 2020, 05:36:12 AM

Being COO of Hooters seems like a job where you just get sued constantly or can't have a family because what woman wants to marry into that?

Apparently neither one. Seems like it's mostly just regular restaurant nonsense.

If you guys don't want persisting recruiter spam, you need to use a separate email for job hunting. I'm still getting emails from resumes that I posted a decade ago. Or maybe they are skipping WAY down my experiences.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3828 on: February 10, 2020, 07:19:01 AM

So, I'm job hunting online for the first time and it's awful. I've had to sign up for 5+ intermediary sites like Glassdoor, Indeed, LinkedIn, etc. just to submit resumes and applications. I put in for 7 different jobs, including three companies my current company does work for (and one direct competitor). I might drop off a resume in person at another direct competitor or two, too.

This was one of the most painful things about my layoff. Back in 1998, I worked putting my local newspaper's web site up, and one of the things we included was our job listings from the classifieds (back when that's how you looked for a job). I think at the time it was using an early iteration of Careerbuilder, which was fairly basic. The state of job web sites now is a fucking hate crime. Every site is designed with little to no UI knowledge or give-a-shit at all. Jobs are posted across multiple sites, and every 4th or 5th one requires you to sign up at yet ANOTHER fucking job site, all of which want to face fuck you with daily (sometimes multiple times a day) email alerts and even more annoying texting. 75% of the jobs never even send a response back. I got more responses from scammers trying to rope me into fraud via Google Hangouts than actual job interest. The other responses were all for shitty contract work by the same company staffed entirely by thick-accented Indian telemarketers who likely wanted to sell me into white slavery.

And after months of all that? The job I ended up getting I heard about because they had reached out to my former supervisor who also got laid off when they liquidated out department. He had just accepted another job and so turned me on to this opportunity. Those job sites are all literal cancer and I'd like to yeet them into the sun.
Today I just did the whole song and dance for yet ANOTHER middleman site (Lensa), gave them all my info, uploaded a resume, only to find out that the job I was applying for was no longer listed. Mob They even sent me an automated followup email, asking why I hadn't applied to the job yet.  swamp poop

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3829 on: February 10, 2020, 08:39:57 PM

Lensa was the absolute, shitty shit shitty shit worst of ALL of them. It was bottom of the barrel, continually misled me about job titles in the subject line of emails that had nothing even remote to what the subject line said, and gave you seventeen kinds of link jumps and bullshit for just about every job. Lensa is actually digital fucking Coronavirus.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3830 on: February 11, 2020, 12:21:25 AM

A month ago i threw in my resignation, got 4 weeks left to go. I started my job with company receiving a benefit for 2 years, a year ago we discussed a raise, got half sum immediately was to get other later on if I took some extra parts. When it was time to get that raise they came to me and wanted to get another sort of benefit (due to a hearing disability) so that it would pay for my raise. It never happened but whole thing sapped my energy, killed my mood and never got a raise.

The other reason is because the place is a mess. The place made a huge investment that cost twice as much as the owners thought it would and place lost money every year since then. Revenue is going down the drain now because of how bad the place is run. Before I started two years ago there had been lots of people quitting around the same time. Recently one of the key persons was starting to return after being away due to burnout. At the return owners acted like the fucktards that caused the burnout in the first place and now union has stepped in. Another experienced person got another kid and not going to return, one just quit and went to a competitor (due to owners). The key person now is owners nephew but its his girlfriend that actually knows something, guy walks around in his costume trying to look important but reeks of sweat and don't really do anything. One of the owners handle his stress by drinking alcohol and hang around someone that is known for selling drugs.

At one point I actually thought of staying long enough so that I could watch the whole thing crumble from the inside but I already know what will happen, I just hope it doesn't happen fast enough so I can collect my last paycheck from them.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #3831 on: February 11, 2020, 10:03:31 AM

A month ago i threw in my resignation, got 4 weeks left to go. I started my job with company receiving a benefit for 2 years, a year ago we discussed a raise, got half sum immediately was to get other later on if I took some extra parts. When it was time to get that raise they came to me and wanted to get another sort of benefit (due to a hearing disability) so that it would pay for my raise. It never happened but whole thing sapped my energy, killed my mood and never got a raise.

The other reason is because the place is a mess. The place made a huge investment that cost twice as much as the owners thought it would and place lost money every year since then. Revenue is going down the drain now because of how bad the place is run. Before I started two years ago there had been lots of people quitting around the same time. Recently one of the key persons was starting to return after being away due to burnout. At the return owners acted like the fucktards that caused the burnout in the first place and now union has stepped in. Another experienced person got another kid and not going to return, one just quit and went to a competitor (due to owners). The key person now is owners nephew but its his girlfriend that actually knows something, guy walks around in his costume trying to look important but reeks of sweat and don't really do anything. One of the owners handle his stress by drinking alcohol and hang around someone that is known for selling drugs.

At one point I actually thought of staying long enough so that I could watch the whole thing crumble from the inside but I already know what will happen, I just hope it doesn't happen fast enough so I can collect my last paycheck from them.

"His costume?"

Clown? Star Trek uniform?

swamp poop

Anyway, sounds like a mess. Run while you can!
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3832 on: February 11, 2020, 12:44:14 PM

Hmmm, language stuff, i meant his blazer, but it still reeks. And I heard stuff and the place is going to become even worse soon so very glad I am quitting.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3833 on: February 11, 2020, 10:55:40 PM

Hah, I too read it like maybe you all worked at a Chuck E Cheese.  Which is still possible.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3834 on: February 12, 2020, 08:47:33 PM

I've found that most companies are run worse than a local Chuck E. Cheese so it's probably not one of those.  why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3835 on: February 14, 2020, 11:11:20 AM

Everyplace is terrible, except the one I'm in. I keep reading things about other people's jobs and I haven't heard anything I'd like to jump to. Of course, the bias is toward the complainers.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3836 on: February 17, 2020, 01:04:00 AM

Everyplace is terrible, except the one I'm in. I keep reading things about other people's jobs and I haven't heard anything I'd like to jump to. Of course, the bias is toward the complainers.

I dunno since you started weather.com has gone from 250 web requests on their first page load to over 500.  If someone asked me to build a home page that made 500+ requests i would run screaming from the room.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #3837 on: February 17, 2020, 06:36:42 AM

I've found that most companies are run worse than a local Chuck E. Cheese so it's probably not one of those.  why so serious?

you leave me out of this. i serve the finest reassembled pizza
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #3838 on: February 26, 2020, 08:45:49 AM

had a talk with my bosses today and they really want me to stay around, so I took my time to negotiate a deal with them. Given the economic situation and that both of them had just cut their pay by 100% it wasn't the right time to ask for money. I just made a deal so that I now essentially went down to to 35 hours of work instead of 40. My workload will mostly be the same but I told them that some of the stuff I have taken over recently should be taken care of someone that actually works with those sorts of things

It felt like an alright outcome of the whole thing especially since the alternative would be unemployment where I would have been cut out of unemployment money for 2.5 months. Will continue my work hunt but now I can focus on a true upgrade instead of being desperate.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3839 on: February 27, 2020, 07:36:33 AM

I dunno since you started weather.com has gone from 250 web requests on their first page load to over 500.  If someone asked me to build a home page that made 500+ requests i would run screaming from the room.

This is fine, as far as I can tell. Are they backend API requests or ads? Not a HTML developer. I don't work on the front end, it's full of software developers.

WU has a new support page.

None of that has any impact on my love of working here. If you think the current conditions are looking bad, let me know and I can probably get a met to look at it. Sometimes an ob station goes bad.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3840 on: February 27, 2020, 08:32:11 AM

My NWS gripe is the warning spam. I don't mind getting updated warnings, but half the time I can't suss out what changed from the previous 3 warnings for a storm.

Though the worst is currently the 4th hydrological forecast, which I've gotten multiple times a day since it was first released a week ago. Thanks!

I know it's not WU, just venting about a similar topic...
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3841 on: February 27, 2020, 02:55:02 PM

Had my annual comp review conversation today and got confirmation that once the big chunk of stock I got as a hiring incentive finishes vesting (at the end of the summer), it's not going to be replaced by an equally big chunk.  My boss appeared surprised when I pointed out to him that this meant that I was effectively going to be compensated less for this year's work than last year's, even though I got a 5% salary bump; he appeared even more surprised when I pulled up last year's comp letter and a graph I'd drawn (which I had handy in anticipation of having to explain this exact thing) to show him how far off the total numbers were.   awesome, for real

So I'm not in any rush, but I'm going to officially change my status to "open to possibilities" for when recruiters come knocking.  It might be that there's nothing better out there (even with the 25% hit I'll be taking I'm still ludicrously overpaid IMO), but now seems like a good time to start shopping around.  Impending world plague notwithstanding.  Seems much less scary after a mere three years here than it did after seventeen years at the last place.  Maybe I'll take a gamble on a startup this time around; having the mortgage paid off has vastly increased my risk tolerance from where it was four years ago.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3842 on: February 27, 2020, 07:37:18 PM

I'm surprised your boss was surprised given how much Millennials job hop (not that you are a Millennial).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3843 on: February 27, 2020, 08:12:48 PM

I'm surprised your boss was surprised given how much Millennials job hop (not that you are a Millennial).

Oh, I didn't quit on the spot, or give any direct indication that I was about to go and brush up my resume (I still have six months left till I'm fully vested, so unless I get a REALLY good offer I'm likely to stick around that long and take as much PTO as I can get away with since I can't cash it out and take it with me).  I just asked very directly if there was any plan to give me a refresh that'd keep my compensation roughly stable and made him give me confirmation that no, there is not.  It's pretty rare for people to stay here past four years, though, so I doubt anyone (except maybe the PHB) will be surprised when that time comes.

Mostly I'm just amazed that either he was unaware that he was presenting me with a pay cut, or he thought that if he acted unaware then maybe I wouldn't notice.  But it tells you something about him that I went into the conversation prepared for exactly that...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:15:27 PM by Samwise »

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3844 on: March 02, 2020, 09:06:21 AM

My NWS gripe is the warning spam. I don't mind getting updated warnings, but half the time I can't suss out what changed from the previous 3 warnings for a storm.

Now imagine writing a program to parse them and route to the correct smartphones.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3845 on: March 02, 2020, 09:58:25 AM

Now imagine writing a program to parse them and route to the correct smartphones.
Yup, that's why I didn't send a complaint about it :) I figure they got the first 3 right, so they'll figure it out.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3846 on: March 02, 2020, 10:28:56 AM

I'm most likely changing positions to work on a new product that is still somewhat in the concept phase. It would be working with cloud/container technology, so the experience would be valuable even if the product doesn't end up being anything. Current job has been notified of this possibility and have basically given me free reign to do whatever I want if I stay. Plus, they actually have a product that sells, and I've gotten financial rewards for working for them. The dev team is only in Houston, where the new product development team is in China. It's an interesting dilemma, although I'm leaning toward he new product as I will actually be learning something that isn't specifically tied to working at IBM.

And I have a interview next Monday for a non-IBM position as a SDET. It's more coding than I have done in my career, so I'm unsure if I will even pass this interview. Is it worth doing an interview even if you're confident that it doesn't have a great possibility of actually leading to anything? Good chance I don't even accept the job if I make it past this phase and the next. Job is in a locale that is no longer ideal due to a change in my wife's work.  undecided

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3847 on: March 02, 2020, 10:50:34 AM

Yup, that's why I didn't send a complaint about it :) I figure they got the first 3 right, so they'll figure it out.

Actually, they won't. NWS still hand-types severe weather alerts and inevitably typos occur. Storm ID typos are particularly annoying. Commercial entities such as mine do not alter the government alerts in any way, we simply pass them through, however we do need to parse them to handle correctly. Efforts by us and others to get the gubment to update their processes and systems have come to naught.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3848 on: March 02, 2020, 11:02:39 AM

I'm most likely changing positions to work on a new product that is still somewhat in the concept phase. It would be working with cloud/container technology, so the experience would be valuable even if the product doesn't end up being anything. Current job has been notified of this possibility and have basically given me free reign to do whatever I want if I stay. Plus, they actually have a product that sells, and I've gotten financial rewards for working for them. The dev team is only in Houston, where the new product development team is in China. It's an interesting dilemma, although I'm leaning toward he new product as I will actually be learning something that isn't specifically tied to working at IBM.

And I have a interview next Monday for a non-IBM position as a SDET. It's more coding than I have done in my career, so I'm unsure if I will even pass this interview. Is it worth doing an interview even if you're confident that it doesn't have a great possibility of actually leading to anything? Good chance I don't even accept the job if I make it past this phase and the next. Job is in a locale that is no longer ideal due to a change in my wife's work.  undecided

Interviews are always good practice in my opinion regardless of your profession.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3849 on: March 05, 2020, 06:58:41 PM

Interviews are always good practice in my opinion regardless of your profession.

I'll second this, where better to practice for an interview than for a job you are not sure you want.
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: