Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992819 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3710 on: October 14, 2019, 01:27:44 PM

That 15K wasn't enough to match what I was going to make.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3711 on: October 14, 2019, 03:40:58 PM

That 15K wasn't enough to match what I was going to make.

Oh yeah, those things are always way too little too late.  My previous job gave me a $30k raise to try to hang on to me (and to his credit, my manager knew well before I started seriously looking that I was probably going to jump ship and he immediately went to go get as much money for me as he could rather than wait for me to give notice first), and that was a nice little bump, but I still ended up doubling my pay by going somewhere else.

I'm just more astonished by the "you should have told us you wanted more money."  What am I, a monk under a vow of poverty?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3712 on: October 14, 2019, 08:14:56 PM

Yeah, and this was after he just didn't have my end of year review where you normally have those type of conversations.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3713 on: October 14, 2019, 10:14:28 PM

The rule of thumb is to never stay for more money, usually money isn't the initial reason you decided to leave.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3714 on: October 15, 2019, 06:52:10 AM

I took the current job I'm in for less than what I was making, simply because the stress of the old job was insane and the owner was an idiot with his own finances thus putting pressure on everybody in the company.

That being said, while I'm not upset I made the decision since it wasn't about money, the current job is frankly boring. I need something between constant fires and heart attack, and common drudgery.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3715 on: October 23, 2019, 03:40:07 AM

Getting a little worried as it's been about 3 weeks of job hunting and about 40 jobs applied for. So far literally one has responded (to say I didn't make it to the interview stage), which is a little disheartening and has me questioning whether I've actually managed submissions for anything. A few of them had 'only successful candidates will be contacted' but I'm not sure if that means with the others they're also not going to contact anyone until the position is filled or I'm just getting aggressively filtered.

Did get a call from one inhouse recruiter yesterday based off a 'I'm open to a new job, here's my CV type submission', so might actually get a job interview finally. The position is starting in 2-3 weeks though so being immediately available might be a bonus for me.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3716 on: October 23, 2019, 06:06:13 AM

Are you networking or just online applying for jobs?  Because applying for me has been a complete waste of time.  Good jobs come from networking or recruiters.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3717 on: October 23, 2019, 08:50:01 AM

It's been primarily online applying, I've approached a couple of recruiters but I got the feeling that they're not doing much. That said having spent a few weeks tailoring CVs and writing cover letters I've got a better idea of what skills and experience I have and what kind of jobs I'm suitable for. Perhaps it's time to go after recruiters again.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3718 on: October 23, 2019, 09:27:36 AM

Don't give up, these things take time. Having been on both sides of the hiring process, it's a wonder anyone gets matched up with a position that both sides agree is a fit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3719 on: October 23, 2019, 02:18:23 PM

If you are worried go the recruiter/contract work route then continue to look for the position you really want.  To me it seems like networking isn't as important as it used to be.  IIRC my current position was just a random linkedin job posting followed by a 45 minute phone interview, I have been here over a year and I still have not met a single person at the company or anyone I work with.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3720 on: October 23, 2019, 03:52:46 PM

I would venture a guess that part of your woes, NowhereMan, is that you are in the UK and no one wants to really commit to anything until there is at least a modicum of clarity on what the fuck is happening with the whole Brexit debacle.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3721 on: October 24, 2019, 02:01:51 AM

That's probably part of it but there are certainly lots of places hiring. I'm guessing part of it is positions still have the hiring window open so they're not making any decisions but I'd have expected at least a few rejections by now rather than 1 out of 40. It's a mix of a few big companies and quite a few smaller operations, most of them seem to have pretty good reviews on Glass door. I've been applying for a mix of higher and lower positions as well so I was really expecting a few outright rejections as I didn't meet their required criteria. Having been on the other end I can only assume the hiring managers in these cases are being either lazy about communicating or keeping my CV to side without liking it enough to call for a interview unless the better candidates don't pan out.

Yeah plan now is probably to pick up something in project management ideally where I can get experience working with a slightly broader range of things. The advice to pick up a job that where I'm expecting to learn more rather than focusing on salary for the moment is foremost, I'm happy taking a good enough job for a year or so if it will leave me with a few decent projects in different areas to be able to put down.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3722 on: October 24, 2019, 07:00:04 AM

You could say the hiring managers are being lazy, because finding someone to fill a spot is a lot of work that no one has time for. Also reading resumes is possibly the most boring thing ever.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3723 on: October 24, 2019, 07:58:45 AM

Yup, I've been there and was 100% guilty of the same stuff I'm complaining about some of these people doing awesome, for real I guess the worry part was more not hearing anything from almost any of the jobs apart from 1 internal recruiter putting my CV forward and 1 rejection. That said I got a call for interview next week from another one just after posting that so maybe timelines have moved on and I'm about to get an avalanche of interviews/rejections.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3724 on: October 24, 2019, 08:29:36 AM

I seem to get a lot of comms after EOY, when budgets reset. Fall is for cost-cutting once execs find out how many people are over budget. Or so I've heard. :)

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3725 on: October 24, 2019, 10:09:24 AM

So this new job is interesting. And so is the new boss.

I basically can take on any job to build... anything with the backing of a giant company... like my own business. (Words of my boss) Could be a good opportunity for money making. I'm just sitting here waiting to be "trained" and have business brought to me to start.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3726 on: October 24, 2019, 11:30:56 AM

This December I'm going to get new certification, then either leverage that into a nice raise at my current company or move on. I've been here for 6.5 years which is the longest I've ever been at one job and this is the only company I've worked for in my current field, so the thought of leaving makes me anxious. On the other hand, I'd certainly make more money (even more than the raise I'd ask for) if I left while also having to work worse hours with a shittier commute. Ideally I get the raise and stay put for a couple more years, but we've had a slow year so it's possible they tell me to get fucked. I'm paying for the training and certification out of pocket though, so they can't hold that over my head.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3727 on: October 24, 2019, 05:58:54 PM

Having been on the other end I can only assume the hiring managers in these cases are being either lazy about communicating or keeping my CV to side without liking it enough to call for a interview unless the better candidates don't pan out.

In my most recent job hunting experiences, you don't actually get any communication other than if they want to interview and/or hire you. Even jobs where there was an interview for they don't have the courtesy to say "sorry we chose a different candidate" unless you contact them asking about the status.

Job hunting and modern dating are pretty similar in that vein. Lots of ghosting going on.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3728 on: October 26, 2019, 03:07:50 AM

In my most recent job hunting experiences, you don't actually get any communication other than if they want to interview and/or hire you. Even jobs where there was an interview for they don't have the courtesy to say "sorry we chose a different candidate" unless you contact them asking about the status.

Job hunting and modern dating are pretty similar in that vein. Lots of ghosting going on.
[/quote]

why so serious? Thought I was done with that shit when I stopped having to date people. On the positive side I went along to a 'what is strategy consulting' thing run by a small firm that was definitely aimed at graduate recruitment but the day was kind of interesting and I ended up with one of the senior consultants adding me on LinkedIn and telling me to let him know if I decide to apply. Which sounds positive and would mean working in well paid, albeit kind of stupid, industry. Definitely felt kind of out of place since most of their senior management were about my age and I'd be coming in with people 10-15 years younger than me.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3729 on: November 01, 2019, 08:00:17 AM

Look, I understand that passwords should be strong and hard to break, yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah.

But it SHOULD NOT take me three tries to update the one manual password request I have to do every 90 days.  If I can update every other password on my laptop using the Windows "change password" feature because of single sign-on, then WTF can't security get fucking SAP to work with that as well.  NOOOOO... I have to manually request a new password for that, which is fine.

Except.

The insanely long string of random characters can no longer be copypasta-ed out of Chrome so I have to type it in by hand.  And if I don't get said insanely long string of random characters entered right the first time, then I get an error.  And by that time, the browser session has expired, forcing me to request a new password - again.  It took me three tries just now and I had to resort to screencapping the temp password, retyping it into notepad to make sure I had it right, and then entering it into SAP before the browser session expired in order to get the prompt to put in the password I wanted to use in the first place!

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3730 on: November 01, 2019, 02:58:48 PM

Look, I understand that passwords should be strong and hard to break, yadda yadda yadda, blah blah blah.

But it SHOULD NOT take me three tries to update the one manual password request I have to do every 90 days.  If I can update every other password on my laptop using the Windows "change password" feature because of single sign-on, then WTF can't security get fucking SAP to work with that as well.  NOOOOO... I have to manually request a new password for that, which is fine.

Except.

The insanely long string of random characters can no longer be copypasta-ed out of Chrome so I have to type it in by hand.  And if I don't get said insanely long string of random characters entered right the first time, then I get an error.  And by that time, the browser session has expired, forcing me to request a new password - again.  It took me three tries just now and I had to resort to screencapping the temp password, retyping it into notepad to make sure I had it right, and then entering it into SAP before the browser session expired in order to get the prompt to put in the password I wanted to use in the first place!
The funnysad thing is that your workplace (or whoever set up the password policy / authentication) is actively going against best practices there -- forcing time-based password expiry and forbidding password copy-paste actually makes passwords WEAKER in the long run. You can even rub the NIST document in their faces if you want!  awesome, for real

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3731 on: November 01, 2019, 03:35:44 PM

I ran into the same thing - my new employer's IT staff is forcing 60 day password resets with never using any past password ever. Just so I can get email.

- Viin
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #3732 on: November 01, 2019, 04:05:15 PM

The fact that my employer is storing a history of my old passwords somewhere to check against bothers me, tbh.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3733 on: November 01, 2019, 05:30:37 PM

I mean, hopefully they're storing hashes of them rather than dumping them into a plain text file.   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3734 on: November 01, 2019, 07:59:47 PM

But it SHOULD NOT take me three tries to update the one manual password request I have to do every 90 days.  If I can update every other password on my laptop using the Windows "change password" feature because of single sign-on, then WTF can't security get fucking SAP to work with that as well.  NOOOOO... I have to manually request a new password for that, which is fine.

Except.

The insanely long string of random characters can no longer be copypasta-ed out of Chrome so I have to type it in by hand.  And if I don't get said insanely long string of random characters entered right the first time, then I get an error.  And by that time, the browser session has expired, forcing me to request a new password - again.  It took me three tries just now and I had to resort to screencapping the temp password, retyping it into notepad to make sure I had it right, and then entering it into SAP before the browser session expired in order to get the prompt to put in the password I wanted to use in the first place!
The funnysad thing is that your workplace (or whoever set up the password policy / authentication) is actively going against best practices there -- forcing time-based password expiry and forbidding password copy-paste actually makes passwords WEAKER in the long run. You can even rub the NIST document in their faces if you want!  awesome, for real

NIST may say that, but there are certain regulatory compliance things that still require 90 day password changes (PCI being the one that forces my organization to do changes on said 90 interval).

Of course, our password complexity and length requirements are set by the University which has a "once a year" reset (rather than our 90 day one) and they require a "can't be used in the last 3 years" which makes things more of a pain because sometimes I think I am using a different combination of random gobbledygook but it hits as being a previously used one.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3735 on: November 01, 2019, 10:13:00 PM

I mean, hopefully they're storing hashes of them rather than dumping them into a plain text file.   why so serious?

Whenever i see a password policy that prohibits characters, ignores case or mandates how short the password needs to be i cringe and think "well they are probably not storing a hash".
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3736 on: November 02, 2019, 09:48:16 AM

Whenever i see a password policy that prohibits characters, ignores case or mandates how short the password needs to be i cringe and think "well they are probably not storing a hash".

Or they're using an archaic/bespoke hashing function that truncates strings after a certain length.

(yes, that's a thing)

why so serious? why so serious? why so serious?

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3737 on: November 04, 2019, 12:21:22 PM

All of these scenarios are bad. Expiring passwords need to be taken out back and shot, though.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3738 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:14 AM

Welp, after 20 fucking years, the company that just bought my company last year has decided in their infinite wisdom to completely eliminate my division, throwing me and my 2 IRL buddies out of a job with no warning whatsoever. I get severance though I have to see what they want for it - something about transition blah de blah. I've already lined up one interview next Monday but ain't that some shit. Makes zero fucking sense - they are essentially capitulating on doing any sort of web work and their backstop seems to be some other division of the holding company that has been doing sites badly for years. Because business?

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3739 on: November 12, 2019, 11:12:14 PM

But it SHOULD NOT take me three tries to update the one manual password request I have to do every 90 days.  If I can update every other password on my laptop using the Windows "change password" feature because of single sign-on, then WTF can't security get fucking SAP to work with that as well.  NOOOOO... I have to manually request a new password for that, which is fine.

Except.

The insanely long string of random characters can no longer be copypasta-ed out of Chrome so I have to type it in by hand.  And if I don't get said insanely long string of random characters entered right the first time, then I get an error.  And by that time, the browser session has expired, forcing me to request a new password - again.  It took me three tries just now and I had to resort to screencapping the temp password, retyping it into notepad to make sure I had it right, and then entering it into SAP before the browser session expired in order to get the prompt to put in the password I wanted to use in the first place!
The funnysad thing is that your workplace (or whoever set up the password policy / authentication) is actively going against best practices there -- forcing time-based password expiry and forbidding password copy-paste actually makes passwords WEAKER in the long run. You can even rub the NIST document in their faces if you want!  awesome, for real

NIST may say that, but there are certain regulatory compliance things that still require 90 day password changes (PCI being the one that forces my organization to do changes on said 90 interval).

Of course, our password complexity and length requirements are set by the University which has a "once a year" reset (rather than our 90 day one) and they require a "can't be used in the last 3 years" which makes things more of a pain because sometimes I think I am using a different combination of random gobbledygook but it hits as being a previously used one.

NIST is just ahead of the game here.  Unfortunately, it is going to take years to convince the world of this, and even longer for big ass corporations like the ones I work for to actually change anything.  The regulators get their guidance from things like NIST and ISO best practices, but they cannot adapt easily or quickly to new practices.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3740 on: November 13, 2019, 03:17:08 AM

Welp, after 20 fucking years, the company that just bought my company last year has decided in their infinite wisdom to completely eliminate my division, throwing me and my 2 IRL buddies out of a job with no warning whatsoever. I get severance though I have to see what they want for it - something about transition blah de blah. I've already lined up one interview next Monday but ain't that some shit. Makes zero fucking sense - they are essentially capitulating on doing any sort of web work and their backstop seems to be some other division of the holding company that has been doing sites badly for years. Because business?

Sounds like a holding company level decision influenced by a exec there who knows their internal people and saw an 'obvious synergy' to produce a profitability increase for this year. I doubt any more thought went into it beyond this than that exec checking with the division manager if they think they can handle whatever work you're doing. Bing bong so simple.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3741 on: November 13, 2019, 05:11:01 AM

Doh, here's hoping you land on your feet.  Is it a situation where you have to earn all the severance you get, or is some of it coming your way even if you just cut ties?  I had the option a few years ago to have a slightly nicer severance by sticking around for three months of hell, and told the company to go fuck themselves.  But only because the base severance was pretty sweet.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3742 on: November 13, 2019, 06:15:20 AM

Sorry about the job thing, sort of. Lots of opportunity out there and so this is probably a good thing in the end.

As for "no warning whatsoever", I don't mean to sound like a dick but the warning was when your company was bought. Even though I stayed, I was on a hair trigger after IBM bought TWC. Ultimately it was IBM's commitment to keeping me that kept me here, but I've seen the buyout thing before and it is followed by head eliminations 99% of the time and I was actively interviewing.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3743 on: November 13, 2019, 06:32:24 AM

Tim Cook announces a MBP with an ESC key just after I get this 2019 broken in. Oh, well.

Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3744 on: November 13, 2019, 11:56:35 AM

I know it sucks to lose a long-term job.  Happened to me back in 2002.  My advice is jump right into the job search and don’t treat this a long term paid vacation, as you may be tempted to.

Work your network, likely someone you know has a line on a job for you.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: