Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992877 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3430 on: August 30, 2018, 12:47:46 PM

I think Watson Media & Weather (new name again) is making money now, so that might be an option.

Recent IBM kool-aid says that IBMers move around a lot inside the corp.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WayAbvPar

Reply #3431 on: August 31, 2018, 12:01:46 AM

Getting a lot of interest in paying me to be a PC tech (for peanuts), but my lack of experience is really killing my networking prospects. The few I have had nibbles on pay less than I could make as a shift manager in a fast food place. Planning to take the ICND-2 in the next week or so; hopefully that will help a bit. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and take something reasonably awful just to A) get some recent work experience on my resume, and B) get some money coming in. 401(k) cash is just about gone; would have to sell some holdings to get more out.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3432 on: August 31, 2018, 06:51:32 AM

Get a basic AWS cert and fake it `til ya make it.

We had one of these and only let him go because he stopped coming to work. Wizard needs employees badly.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3433 on: August 31, 2018, 09:42:56 AM

The Seattle entry IT job prospects are somewhat dismal in my experience. My short background is was in IT in the mid 90s with some certs, left for school, had a kid, worked at a library, then went back to school for my degree in Web Dev (application focus) and graduated in 2015. I've since realized that I want to be back in IT but the only jobs that I'm qualified for pay super low (for peanuts, as mentioned). Or they're in Redmond/Bellevue which is more of a commute than I want. 

In the 90s all you had to do was go work in customer service at a tech company and within months shift to the tech support teams and they would pay for pretty much any certs needed. Now I'm looking at needing to pay out of pocket for them, which I'm already paying my damn student loans. Fuck me for being so indecisive, but I hate doing the same thing every year after year.

In essence I'm trying to find the path to sysadmin without going to school for it.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3434 on: August 31, 2018, 10:14:29 AM

I still think it would be better and easier to get an AWS/Azure/GCE cert and forget about all your admin knowledge.  No reason to keep those troubleshooting skills up when the actual answer is to shoot it in the head and spin up a new one.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3435 on: August 31, 2018, 10:25:32 AM

I think Watson Media & Weather (new name again) is making money now, so that might be an option.

Recent IBM kool-aid says that IBMers move around a lot inside the corp.

I don't think anyone does remote hires anymore. Weather & Media sounds like it could be fun. No relevant certs, but I do know the ways of "eh, it's a VM, just give up and spin a new one".

Heh, at least I did get a raise this year, and my new manager, although new to management, is a friend. Not sure if he's any good as a manager, but at least he'll probably stay well out of my way.

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3436 on: August 31, 2018, 10:43:32 AM

I still think it would be better and easier to get an AWS/Azure/GCE cert and forget about all your admin knowledge.  No reason to keep those troubleshooting skills up when the actual answer is to shoot it in the head and spin up a new one.

On the AWS front, go to udemy.com and search for “a cloud guru” and buy their “AWS certified solutions  architect associate” course. It is almost always on sale for less than $15 and it is kept up to date with the current state of AWS. It is designed to be useful for people with zero experience in AWS. The exam is like $125 from Amazon.

He also has the Developer and Sysops associate exeam prep classes as well.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #3437 on: August 31, 2018, 11:00:48 AM

None of this advice applies to Seattle though.  There are too many ex-amazon people here that actually know how to do it all.  Faking it isn’t really an option if you want to be paid well.  From what I’ve seen, the only ones who get away with it are web devs before it gets shifted over to someone with actual devops experience to fix all the mistakes and do it right.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3438 on: September 04, 2018, 07:53:23 AM

I assumed that there must be some lower-level positions in Seattle outside the Amazon Biodome.

We (Weather) do have remote people, with a recent-internally-hired devops guy coming from Emptoris (IBM) while living in Nashua, NH.  That is only 40 minutes away from our Andover office, though.

Interviewing another internal candidate tomorrow.  Paper says he a learner, which is pretty important when your technology seems to shift quarterly.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3439 on: September 04, 2018, 08:29:42 AM

Man. Having visited Nashua, I'd be hesitant to hire people willing to live there.
WayAbvPar

Reply #3440 on: September 07, 2018, 02:59:39 PM

Weaseled my way past the ICND-2- officially a CCNA now. Someone hire me before I have to take another goddamned test, please.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3441 on: September 07, 2018, 06:59:50 PM

schild could probably hire you to be a artwork/furniture sherpa in his house  why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3442 on: September 07, 2018, 08:13:01 PM

i throw out my own back hiking up the stairs tyvm
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3443 on: September 10, 2018, 10:12:51 AM

Florence means no important work this week.  Luckily (?) I'm working on random new tech solutions in PoC states.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3444 on: September 24, 2018, 12:40:48 PM

DevOps Engineer position is now external.  Will send referrals to those interested.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3445 on: October 17, 2018, 05:55:54 AM

Considering crafting an email filter to dump all these job offers.

Related: We still need a DevOps engineer.  It's fun, I promise.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3446 on: October 22, 2018, 11:30:24 AM

I forgot about this thread.

I got a new and started on Oct 1.

I work for a robotics company now. It's fun.

More Money
Work from home (again).
Slightly less or more travel depending on demand rather than set schedule.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3447 on: October 22, 2018, 02:12:25 PM

How do you work from home with a robotics company? Unless you do spreadsheets? (Congrats btw!)

- Viin
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3448 on: October 22, 2018, 04:23:40 PM

After seeing those Boston Dynamics videos, I'd say working from home is the only safe way to work with robotics.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3449 on: October 23, 2018, 05:34:09 AM

How do you work from home with a robotics company? Unless you do spreadsheets? (Congrats btw!)

I'm a sales manager for the east coast. I essentially head up individual sales cycles or bridge the gap between independent sales teams and engineering in the field.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3450 on: October 24, 2018, 02:24:27 AM

But do you have a robot dog sidekick that helps you out in the field?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
WayAbvPar

Reply #3451 on: October 24, 2018, 02:35:07 PM

Well, I got a job!

As a tutor...for $12/hr. Professor talked me into it. I suppose it will look good on my resume?

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #3452 on: October 24, 2018, 03:55:30 PM

Congrats? What a terrible job.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3453 on: October 25, 2018, 08:56:35 AM

My models get north of $15/hr depending on the gig. The challenge is to hustle enough to stack the hours high enough.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3454 on: October 26, 2018, 12:14:05 PM

I'm pretty sure being a model is more rewarding than teaching.

You learn you some devops so we can hire you.  This job market is banaynays.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3455 on: November 13, 2018, 02:38:36 PM

I'm now reporting up through to the new president of the AMS, so that's pretty cool.  Beats the fuck out of reporting to some IT asshole.

I do realize other people have to actually work in their jobs, but I really hate computers so much now.  Maybe I can get into funerary services.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3456 on: November 13, 2018, 02:58:06 PM

I really hate computers so much now. 

Somewhere in the 15 layers of abstraction they disappeared all the fun stuff.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #3457 on: November 14, 2018, 06:21:16 AM

I really, really, REALLY loathe writing self-assessments for work.  I haven't had to do one in so long and my loathing has possibly gotten worse.  And or course I've been busy enough at work that I couldn't write up the damn thing here, had to do it at home Monday might.

OTOH, this isn't the formal review, just the start of the process so I wrote up my stuff, my manager (who's new to managing employees, he's managed contractors for years) wrote up his stuff, and we went over both.  He'd gotten feedback from peers and it was... good to read.  I don't know who said what but it did surprise me because they praised stuff that I just consider part of what I'm supposed to do, nothing special.  Heart

Anyways, have to update a few other things and then send to him before he uploads to our HR site for this stuff.  The praise aside, this is still an annoying process to go through.  I just not good at it.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3458 on: November 14, 2018, 03:58:53 PM

I block off that time on my calendar, usually carve out two entire hours for it. Some managers complain about my process, and every time they do I wait until the last day and block off two hours there, too. I’m not doing crapass busy paperwork without being paid for it and I’m not doing it in my off hours either.  HR can go fuck itself. Any HR department serves the needs of the company not the employee, so fuck them and I don’t go to them for anything.

I like to work, actually. I do not like the bullshit of working though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3459 on: November 15, 2018, 07:55:37 AM

HR is now the anti-liability department. Source - our Director just wrapped up an HR master's program.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3460 on: November 15, 2018, 01:37:36 PM

HR is now the anti-liability department. Source - our Director just wrapped up an HR master's program.

It always has been, I am not sure why anyone ever thinks that HR is there for the benefit of the employees.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3461 on: November 15, 2018, 03:33:45 PM

Taking company actions to Twitter is more likely to get traction than going to HR.

HR is where you go if you are looking for a murder/suicide.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3462 on: November 20, 2018, 07:36:15 AM

I like self-assessments. I do a GREAT job on EVERYTHING.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3463 on: November 20, 2018, 07:37:23 AM

Also we have a new backfill for a vendor management position.  Does not look fun to me but ....

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #3464 on: November 20, 2018, 09:38:51 AM

Vendor management is MY FAVORITE THO

They're so honest, straightforward, and reliable.
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: