Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:01:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992870 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3325 on: January 03, 2018, 01:45:14 PM

That's awesome.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3326 on: January 18, 2018, 10:42:55 AM

Amazon is looking for a place to build a second HQ in North America, 50k jobs, $5 billion in construction and operation:

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon-build-second-hq-outside-seattle-seeks-proposals-cities-5b-campus-50k-jobs/

Edit: Amazon's page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011
The 238 submissions have been narrowed down to 20 for the next phase:

- Atlanta, GA
- Austin, TX
- Boston, MA
- Chicago, IL
- Columbus, OH
- Dallas, TX
- Denver, CO
- Indianapolis, IN
- Los Angeles, CA
- Miami, FL
- Montgomery County, MD
- Nashville, TN
- Newark, NJ
- New York City, NY
- Northern Virginia, VA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Raleigh, NC
- Toronto, ON
- Washington D.C.

Toronto is the only non-US city and Los Angeles is the only West coast city being considered further.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3327 on: January 18, 2018, 10:58:52 AM

and just over half of the remaining 20 are a laugh

I mean, comeon. Newark? Miami? NYC? Gtfo.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3328 on: January 18, 2018, 11:03:52 AM

Newark the actual city is, of course, a joke but there are areas north of Newark like around Woodcliff Lake where companies like Sony and BMW USA have HQs that are actually quite nice.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3329 on: January 18, 2018, 11:08:14 AM

Outside of Newark isn't bad. Also if they want to add warehousing (more warehousing) there is plenty of infrastructure.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3330 on: January 18, 2018, 01:26:42 PM

Any part of newark is a joke. No one who wants to work in that burnout culture with any measure of talent wants to live in Jersey. Anywhere.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #3331 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:00 PM

Plus NJ is no. 3 in tax burden, only behind NY and CT. That state is fucked.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #3332 on: January 18, 2018, 09:23:15 PM

I'm hoping they don't come to the DC area - it's already jam-packed here, and putting Amazon HQ here would make real estate shoot through the roof. It would become nigh-unlivable for many people on human incomes.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3333 on: January 18, 2018, 09:49:56 PM

I really doubt they go to DC, there's not enough room. While I wouldn't mind them coming to Denver, I don't really think we should drop our pants to get them here.

- Viin
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3334 on: January 19, 2018, 08:22:39 AM

Columbus is a solid bet, Raleigh too. Both have good tech foundations and good schools to feed from. The only problem with Columbus is the infrastructure will be a hurdle. Visiting family there over the past year and east side traffic is worse than Seattle, which is really fucking saying something.

I got a rejection today on a job I really wanted. Back to the board, dammit!
schild
Administrator

Reply #3335 on: January 19, 2018, 08:59:41 AM

They really need to go somewhere young people want to live. They can't magically make Columbus something other than milquetoast garbage. As for NC. It's not a democracy. NOVA is more likely.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3336 on: January 19, 2018, 09:55:30 AM

I'm amazed that Toronto is still in the running. We didn't offer them tax breaks or anything. Of course we do have access to all that foreign talent that's afraid to keep living in the US. awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #3337 on: January 19, 2018, 09:59:36 AM

I'm amazed that Toronto is still in the running. We didn't offer them tax breaks or anything. Of course we do have access to all that foreign talent that's afraid to keep living in the US. awesome, for real

Neither did we.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3338 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:37 AM

They really need to go somewhere young people want to live. They can't magically make Columbus something other than milquetoast garbage. As for NC. It's not a democracy. NOVA is more likely.
And Amazon is already very familiar with Northern Viriginia -- their main East Coast AWS data centers (us-east-1) are in Loudoun County (Ashburn, primarily).
schild
Administrator

Reply #3339 on: January 19, 2018, 10:44:47 AM

And Amazon is already very familiar with Northern Viriginia -- their main East Coast AWS data centers (us-east-1) are in Loudoun County (Ashburn, primarily).

I'm aware. It's the only reason anyone would tread into that shithole. NOVA blows.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3340 on: January 19, 2018, 10:56:31 AM

There are parts that are decent. My cousin used to life near George Mason University and that was a nice area with easy access to the Metro (University run bus service with a bus stop near my cousin's townhouse).
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3341 on: January 19, 2018, 11:11:20 AM

They really need to go somewhere young people want to live.

I disagree with this, after talking to MANY tech workers in SF who don't actually want to live here but moved here for the jobs.  I'm an ardent supporter of the idea that someone should build the next big tech hub somewhere in flyover country and get all those people to follow them there.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3342 on: January 19, 2018, 01:44:13 PM

Difficult to muster shits about an obvious attempt to fish for favors.  But that's why Bezos is rich.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3343 on: January 19, 2018, 01:51:30 PM

I disagree with this, after talking to MANY tech workers in SF who don't actually want to live here but moved here for the jobs.  I'm an ardent supporter of the idea that someone should build the next big tech hub somewhere in flyover country and get all those people to follow them there.
And I've talked with many tech workers who *want* to live in SF, and not because of the jobs. In fact our company moved from Palo Alto to SF because more and more people who worked in the company lived in the City.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3344 on: January 19, 2018, 01:57:21 PM

And I've talked with many tech workers who *want* to live in SF, and not because of the jobs. In fact our company moved from Palo Alto to SF because more and more people who worked in the company lived in the City.

Well yes (I myself am a tech worker who lives in SF by choice)-- but I submit that there is a nonzero number of people who would get out of SF if given good job opportunities elsewhere.  There's also going to be a very large number of qualified people who haven't moved to SF because the rents are too high or the politics are too liberal or whatever, but they'd move to Bumfuck, North Dakota in a heartbeat if they could earn $200k a year there.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3345 on: January 19, 2018, 02:02:44 PM

$200k in ND?  Sure, let's talk. awesome, for real

I only know/knew older tech workers in the SF area and I don't know why they stay.  I sort of do, though: it's home.  When you're 50+ in Mtn View and can't find a job, though?

Let me edit that to say I know a guy who works at LinkedIn but lives in an ATL suburb.  He flies into SF once a month or so but works remotely.  He also worries constantly that the young bucks are going to eat his lunch.  Tough market, I gather.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:04:48 PM by Yegolev »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3346 on: January 19, 2018, 02:20:00 PM

I only know/knew older tech workers in the SF area and I don't know why they stay.  I sort of do, though: it's home.  When you're 50+ in Mtn View and can't find a job, though?

On-topic for the job thread: SF is home to me, and I'd love to switch careers but tech is the only thing I know how to do that pays the rent in a city full of other tech people.  I'm rooting for the gold rush to either move elsewhere or collapse so that there will be other options available that don't require me to be the one who moves.

OTOH I'm getting pretty close to paying off the house so maybe I'll get my dream of tending bar regardless.   awesome, for real

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3347 on: January 19, 2018, 02:25:43 PM

Shit, how much does bartending pay in SF?

Atlanta already has a movie industry so I'm kinda rooting against Amazon moving here.  I already get emails that announce obscene salaries for jobs if you can even do a "Hello World" in Python.  Mixed feelings on that front.

I'm looking into a consulting job for a company that only has clients in the ATL. It sounds pretty awesome, to be honest. Sounds weird to say that it takes a high bar to lure me from Weather at IBM, but I'll be honest: no small amount of drive comes from being forced to use Lotus Notes.

schild
Administrator

Reply #3348 on: January 19, 2018, 03:07:21 PM

I disagree with this, after talking to MANY tech workers in SF who don't actually want to live here but moved here for the jobs.  I'm an ardent supporter of the idea that someone should build the next big tech hub somewhere in flyover country and get all those people to follow them there.

Well yes (I myself am a tech worker who lives in SF by choice)-- but I submit that there is a nonzero number of people who would get out of SF if given good job opportunities elsewhere.  There's also going to be a very large number of qualified people who haven't moved to SF because the rents are too high or the politics are too liberal or whatever, but they'd move to Bumfuck, North Dakota in a heartbeat if they could earn $200k a year there.
Elsewhere is other not shitty places. Not fucking Newark.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3349 on: January 19, 2018, 03:19:08 PM

other not shitty places

Does not compute.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #3350 on: January 19, 2018, 09:58:42 PM

I’m mainly surprised at the lack of mass housing development in and around the Bay Area considering how high the housing/land costs have been for so long.  Except for the old core areas of SF along the top half of the peninsula, the Bay Area should look like fucking Hong Kong by now.  It would solve a lot of issues, and it bugs me to no end that it does not.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3351 on: January 19, 2018, 11:08:42 PM

Communities have too much influence over housing development in California and Prop 13 is a massive disincentive to building new housing because of how much it limits the taxes cities can get from housing. I.e. it makes much more financial sense for cities to zone for commercial or industrial usage rather than residential usage.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3352 on: January 30, 2018, 10:20:14 AM

I've had more recruiters knock on my door in the last three weeks than the last three months.

Talked to one and a job that seems to match up well with me. And I'm not looking for a job either.

I asked for a number that is 50% more than what I'm making before handing over my resume. They said sure.  awesome, for real

We'll see where this goes.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3353 on: January 30, 2018, 10:26:30 AM

The thing is, let's say Amazon picks a place where the cost of living is low for that reason, and brings its employees at nationally competitive salaries to there. Well, the cost of living is about to spike in that place. So they might as well pick a place that their potential employees will like regardless of the cost of living. Denver, Boston, Chicago, Austin, Toronto are all probably plausible choices in that regard. Pittsburg isn't bad and they'd probably make all sorts of sweetheart deals to land them.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #3354 on: January 30, 2018, 02:33:50 PM

Toronto's housing prices have been going crazy for the last few years, That might be a mark against us. But then we're probably dirt cheap compared to the Bay Area.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3355 on: February 23, 2018, 02:33:04 PM

So here's a job-related question for the board: suppose you were no longer motivated by salary and thinking about a career change, as in you could be pretty comfortable indefinitely on minimum wage as long as there were medical benefits (sadly the largest obstacle to early retirement in this godforsaken country).  What would your ideal job be? 

For some reason all of my "where I'll work when I'm ready to take it easier for a while" fantasies involve either bars or bookstores.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3356 on: February 23, 2018, 02:36:07 PM

What would your ideal job be? 

Ski patrol in the winter, river guide in the summer.

I've considered going back to guiding and survival training, but people can be annoying babies when they don't get food every 4h.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #3357 on: February 23, 2018, 02:38:35 PM

Budtender. I’m currently trying to find work in the tech angle on that industry now.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3358 on: February 23, 2018, 02:47:25 PM

If I knew the answer to that I'd be doing it already. I've never been motivated by money.

Rewarding full time work is difficult. I tend to be interested in different things very regulary, and when the initial excitement burns out being stuck sucks.

Ive settled on the idea that as long as the job is challenging enough that will be enough.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3359 on: February 23, 2018, 03:22:57 PM

If I knew the answer to that I'd be doing it already. I've never been motivated by money.

Rewarding full time work is difficult. I tend to be interested in different things very regulary, and when the initial excitement burns out being stuck sucks.

Ive settled on the idea that as long as the job is challenging enough that will be enough.

Well said.  Right there with you.  Still need $ unfortunately, but agreed in principle.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: