Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:50:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992916 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3150 on: August 04, 2017, 05:56:05 AM

I would not require you to move here.  Can't help you with #2, but Weather is a special place.

Really, though, we are already acutely aware of the fact that people do not want to work for IBM.  Then there is the trend of people who want huge sums of money but do not know enough.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 05:57:47 AM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3151 on: August 04, 2017, 07:33:22 AM

I do not want to read any more resumes.

This is just a whine.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3152 on: August 04, 2017, 09:22:07 AM

Shit, if you don't have to live in Atlanta, what's the job?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3153 on: August 04, 2017, 11:18:28 AM

Doing stuff with your butt (aka 'teh cloud') awesome, for real

But seriously, I think it's this job:

http://ibm.biz/BdH3av

Edit: Crap the link doesn't work properly, fucking JS, it's the DevOps position
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 06:47:43 PM by Trippy »
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3154 on: August 04, 2017, 06:30:35 PM

Would you consider someone in AUS?

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3155 on: August 06, 2017, 11:04:52 AM

That Brassring site is not doing what I want.  It is, however, the DevOps job.  Two are external, a third is still internal.

Since I'm not the hiring manager, I can't confirm we would hire a 100% remote.  I am fine with it (even though I'd prefer someone that I can stare in the eyes), provided we can properly collaborate.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3156 on: August 06, 2017, 11:05:13 AM

Let me ask around.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3157 on: August 07, 2017, 02:31:31 PM

Do any of you want to get a job here?  Of course you do.  I need some fucking help.

Pretty sure I'd be more hindrance than help. At least I'm cheaper!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #3158 on: August 07, 2017, 05:22:16 PM

I am currently looking, but i'm more dev, other than configuring linux webservers the old fashioned way all my ops is old school precloud stuff.

edit - I wish they would hire me to redo that brassring site, I have filled out 1 or 2 apps and it is fucking horrendous.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3159 on: August 08, 2017, 01:19:12 PM

I would not require you to move here.  Can't help you with #2, but Weather is a special place.

Really, though, we are already acutely aware of the fact that people do not want to work for IBM.  Then there is the trend of people who want huge sums of money but do not know enough.

I'm pretty sure my company is doing the entire paintwork and wallcovering on your office building.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3160 on: August 09, 2017, 01:51:58 PM

This seems like a fun job. Easy to qualify for, they don't have many requirements except total control of everything about you.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ofc/6256376954.html
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3161 on: August 09, 2017, 02:12:12 PM

I think I'd want to interview for that job just for the opportunity to punch those dickbags directly in the junk.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3162 on: August 09, 2017, 02:36:37 PM

I'm pretty sure that ad is going to end up in a historian's book in 2150 where they talk about how it was a great symbol of the peak moment of the Second Gilded Age or something of that sort.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3163 on: August 10, 2017, 04:59:15 AM

I'm pretty sure my company is doing the entire paintwork and wallcovering on your office building.

1. This means you are subbed by Skanska.  Sorry.
2. Are you a painter now?

We decided the time difference would inhibit collaboration beyond tolerances.  I suppose I could clarify that I don't need someone to work from an office so much as I need someone with whom I can closely collaborate.  We can do this at the corporate office or at the Krispy Kreme.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3164 on: August 10, 2017, 06:58:46 AM

1. This means you are subbed by Skanska.  Sorry.
2. Are you a painter now?

I'm the CFO of a painting company now. And yes we do stuff for Skanska as one of many. They aren't that bad actually compared to some of the others.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3165 on: August 11, 2017, 06:49:46 PM

I'm thinking of getting an MBA. Not to get a job, but to help with my job and the business (family owned).

Anyone got any advice on why this might be a good or bad idea.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3166 on: August 11, 2017, 07:37:14 PM

I dont see why it would help you with your family business.

What is your family business anyway?
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3167 on: August 11, 2017, 08:21:56 PM

It really depends on what skill set you feel you need that you don't have. If it's finance and accounting, there are simpler ways to get that from an educational institution than an MBA.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3168 on: August 12, 2017, 01:28:15 AM

It really depends on what skill set you feel you need that you don't have. If it's finance and accounting, there are simpler ways to get that from an educational institution than an MBA.

We're a manufacturer of decent size (100ish employees).

It's a small business that has become decently sized but still operates mostly as a small business. There's a lot of change that needs to take place and will take place, and while I and others have a lot of learning on the job we are not really that engaged with external practices and philosophies.

I'd rather not have to learn too many swimming lessons in the deep end at the same time.

I'm fairly convinced it'll be worth it and have investigated it a lot, but you never really know...

(It's also something useful to put on the CV if I leave the business, as it's difficult to capture my work and experience in the business in typical terms).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 01:33:12 AM by lamaros »
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3169 on: August 12, 2017, 07:25:07 AM

The MBA might help you plan out the future of the company, yes--and give you some sense of how to handle growth.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #3170 on: August 15, 2017, 01:24:45 PM

Not sure if MBA would be overkill, but I think that would be the argument against it.  I think everyone could use a minor in business.  Hindsight, yo.

I was once again watching The Simpsons episode "You Only Move Twice" and the part where Smithers bemoans the fact that he can't walk down the street without being offered a job is now differently funny.  I kinda wish these people would leave me alone, but then I might really wish they are hounding me at a later date.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3171 on: August 15, 2017, 02:46:23 PM

I have an MBA.  In your case, you might benefit more from an Exec MBA where there's other people also in the class with full-time jobs.  There's a lot of use case studies with MBA courses, and AFAIK Exec MBA programs sometimes use student's real world situations.  That might be more useful to you than a canned B.Comm degree or a regular full-time MBA.  An Exec MBA is usually the same degree'ish, just knocked out faster and at night/weekends.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3172 on: August 15, 2017, 05:04:22 PM

Cheers for the comments all.

The MBA might help you plan out the future of the company, yes--and give you some sense of how to handle growth.

Not sure if MBA would be overkill, but I think that would be the argument against it.  I think everyone could use a minor in business.  Hindsight, yo.

Yeah, my tertiary studies to date have been in humanities (BAHons in English w/ Philosophy) and Publishing. My work experience and life growing up with the business has exposed me to a lot and I'm fairly widely read, but it still feels a bit insular. If I had more of a commerce background I think the MBA would be less appealing.

I have an MBA.  In your case, you might benefit more from an Exec MBA where there's other people also in the class with full-time jobs.  There's a lot of use case studies with MBA courses, and AFAIK Exec MBA programs sometimes use student's real world situations.  That might be more useful to you than a canned B.Comm degree or a regular full-time MBA.  An Exec MBA is usually the same degree'ish, just knocked out faster and at night/weekends.

Yeah I've looked at some exec programs too. Melbourne Business School (what I'm leaning towards) offers that too, though that is more intensive in the application process and wouldn't start for another year.

I'm looking at doing part-time rather than full-time MBA, so the course will still have a cohort that mostly works full time. I think the part-time will give a similar situation with exposure there, just with younger and less experienced students. Plus the exec MBA is 30k more and makes you feel special by having an overseas module...
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3173 on: August 15, 2017, 07:15:18 PM

I have a similar background and I did my MBA part-time over 3 years.  It sucked working full time and going to school and I finally went full time to finish a semester.  Was worth it though.  At least for the credential.  Biz school has a ton of mandatory group work.  So beware of shitty groups with non English speakers.  Good luck $
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3174 on: August 15, 2017, 07:53:31 PM

I have a similar background and I did my MBA part-time over 3 years.  It sucked working full time and going to school and I finally went full time to finish a semester.  Was worth it though.  At least for the credential.  Biz school has a ton of mandatory group work.  So beware of shitty groups with non English speakers.  Good luck $

Nice to hear, and thanks.

I did my publishing masters full time while working full time, so hopefully I've learned some lessons to help handle the MBA. By all reports part-time MBA is far more intensive than full time MPub though. Thankfully my work will be pretty understanding and flexible.

MBS requires an English language degree or passing an English language test, so hopefully that cuts down on the terrible group work situations!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3175 on: August 16, 2017, 10:37:28 AM

An MBA won't help you run a family business. I say this as somebody that runs a family business and has been a CPA consultant to family businesses most of my career.

Most family businesses fail in two key areas:

1 - Their accounting practices and departments are a complete mess and run by somebody with little to no actual accounting experience or training
2 - They are change averse. Their decision-making core is based on outdated methods and little no respect for constantly changing or evolving technology.

My suggestion would be to get to a continuing education training area that focuses on both accounting training, and also leadership training rather than going a full blown MBA. You don't have to have a finance component to understand a small business, most of the time marketing techniques are a waste of time, and what they call management training is absolutely pointless compared to leadership training.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3176 on: August 16, 2017, 05:39:55 PM

I think that's pretty good advice. Management training in most MBA programs is very aggressively targeted at the guy who is a middle manager in a very large corporation. Also many programs talk a big line on entrepreneurship but almost all of those are about a) generating truly dumb, imitative ideas for bad apps that might have a vague chance of attracting enough venture money to get the founders paid off before the dumb idea justifiably sinks beneath the waves; b) how to stab the other guys in the back if you happen to get lucky. They're really not focused on taking a local firm regional, or a regional firm to a larger region.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #3177 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:00 PM

An MBA won't help you run a family business. I say this as somebody that runs a family business and has been a CPA consultant to family businesses most of my career.

1 - Their accounting practices and departments are a complete mess and run by somebody with little to no actual accounting experience or training
2 - They are change averse. Their decision-making core is based on outdated methods and little no respect for constantly changing or evolving technology.

My suggestion would be to get to a continuing education training area that focuses on both accounting training, and also leadership training rather than going a full blown MBA. You don't have to have a finance component to understand a small business, most of the time marketing techniques are a waste of time, and what they call management training is absolutely pointless compared to leadership training.

I appreciate the advice. What would you call a family business in this sense? How do you define it?

We are a family business insofar that it is privately owned by my parents, and a couple of the children have roles within the business. But we employ several people with formal accounting training and experience.

I think that's pretty good advice. Management training in most MBA programs is very aggressively targeted at the guy who is a middle manager in a very large corporation. Also many programs talk a big line on entrepreneurship but almost all of those are about a) generating truly dumb, imitative ideas for bad apps that might have a vague chance of attracting enough venture money to get the founders paid off before the dumb idea justifiably sinks beneath the waves; b) how to stab the other guys in the back if you happen to get lucky. They're really not focused on taking a local firm regional, or a regional firm to a larger region.

I certainly get the sense that MBA programs are targeted at middle-managers in larger firms. Though I would have thought the idea was that these middle managers or executives take the MBA because they want to move to executive and director/boardroom roles? Your A & B aren't the sense I got from the local program, though maybe there is a bit of difference in approach USA to AUS. Entrepreneurship studies seems to be off in another direction to a MBA here.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #3178 on: August 17, 2017, 06:22:02 AM

I appreciate the advice. What would you call a family business in this sense? How do you define it?

We are a family business insofar that it is privately owned by my parents, and a couple of the children have roles within the business. But we employ several people with formal accounting training and experience.

Privately held, less than 200 employees, typically less than $100M in revenues, decision-making core tends to be 75% or more same family, typically not a ton of accounting separation of duties or controls

If you have good accounting staff that's a great start. Even better if you have a head of the accounting function that's not a family member.

How are you at change? Do you have good technology? Do you have regular metrics of the marketplace? Right-sizing overhead? Budget projections and forecasting? Contract and recurring expense reviews? Product line analysis? Etc.

pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #3179 on: August 17, 2017, 04:12:46 PM

I certainly get the sense that MBA programs are targeted at middle-managers in larger firms. Though I would have thought the idea was that these middle managers or executives take the MBA because they want to move to executive and director/boardroom roles? Your A & B aren't the sense I got from the local program, though maybe there is a bit of difference in approach USA to AUS. Entrepreneurship studies seems to be off in another direction to a MBA here.

I've worked in several medium-large companies in Aus (Comm Bank, health insurers, right now a super fund) and have thought about a MBA for 10 years.  I have a grad cert in business studies, but never went the full MBA route.  A few points I found

* MBAs are best suited for middle managers (company size irrelevant) who want to take the next step.  Thats because they give you a broad knowledge in areas you dont know (IT, marketing, finance, operations, corporate governance) and probably more importantly they push the strategic thinking stuff that execs and leaders need to do, that middle managers don't. 
* They are a big commitment.  I did my grad cert when I was childless - I really doubt I could do it today with kids.
* Don't do it full time - you'll be stuck with clueless 22 year old foreign students and useless group work.  You want the experience of other managers in other companies and industries - part time or evening will have a better chance of that (as well as looking at mobs like MGSM - not sure which of the melbourne schools are equivalent).
* Stating the obvious here - but be really clear what you want it for.  I have family members in a family business who have zero tertiary quals, they have been fortunate to be mentored by other business people (I still reckon they're being buttered up for a buyout...).  Do you want to set the strategy for next 5-15 years?  Do you want to rejig the business?  Do you just want to fill in gaps in your knowledge?  That will drive what you need to do, and if a MBA is worth it.  They are not cheap, so you have to make sure its worth the return on investment (both time and money).

Good luck!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #3180 on: August 18, 2017, 02:45:18 PM

Right. What I meant was:

a) MBAs target the middle manager who would like to move to executive, and focus on the skill sets that are believed to be required for that. A certain amount of that involves being able to speak new forms of bullshit, but there's also some solid stuff.

b) Some MBA programs also target young graduates of elite colleges and universities who would like to position themselves as "entrepreneurs" who will be fishing for venture capital. Different curriculum and outlook and not very useful to someone trying to think in new ways about a family-held company. Wharton and Harvard MBA are like this.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3181 on: September 07, 2017, 11:52:40 AM

Amazon is looking for a place to build a second HQ in North America, 50k jobs, $5 billion in construction and operation:

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon-build-second-hq-outside-seattle-seeks-proposals-cities-5b-campus-50k-jobs/

Edit: Amazon's page:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/?node=17044620011
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:35:51 PM by Trippy »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #3182 on: September 07, 2017, 12:47:22 PM

I bet Detroit would let them have all of downtown tax free for eternity.

Though I guess the 1million residents thing would keep them out.

Considering how much Rahm has been giving away to get other major companies to move their HQs to Chicago, they are likely a top contender (and they won't even have to piss off other parts of Illinois to do it this time like with Caterpillar or McDonalds)

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #3183 on: September 07, 2017, 02:23:26 PM

Too hard to get the people they need there in Detroit. There's only a handful of cities/areas in NA that could attract that many highly-skilled tech workers in a reasonable amount of time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:24:57 PM by Trippy »
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3184 on: September 07, 2017, 02:32:32 PM

My guess is Delaware or South Dakota due to the favorable corporate laws in both states. 

Delaware would have the whole NE to draw employees from while many tech workers from Minnesota would be happy to move to SD with its lack of an income tax.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: