Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:50:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992917 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #595 on: July 20, 2012, 07:13:15 AM

It's not the being responsible bit that sucks, leaving right now would probably amplify it, but what do you do when the situation sucks regardless?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #596 on: July 20, 2012, 07:41:21 AM

Well, we're one big budget hit from forcing my hand on the situation. It's just weird realizing I've hit an age where I can't just pick up and move thousands of miles away 'just because'. I used to be so very gypsy.

If you don't have family tying you down, I'd say do it while you can :) The gypsy life slowed down my financial goals, but those are always uncertain and I really value the years I moved around and met new people all the time.

That's if mean old Iain isn't shredding your resume!  ACK!
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #597 on: July 20, 2012, 08:22:07 AM

My advice in general to people considering moving abroad to work is to do it. It opens your mind in a lot of ways and changes your outlook profoundly. Even if you have family then figure out a way to make it work, things are inevitably simpler than they appear at first and a decent company hiring foreign workers will assist you with relocating dependants and partners.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #598 on: July 20, 2012, 08:50:12 AM

It's not the being responsible bit that sucks, leaving right now would probably amplify it, but what do you do when the situation sucks regardless?

You realize that your chances of finding a cute woman with a gypsy accent are significantly improved in Europe, decide to do something for yourself for once and move.

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #599 on: July 20, 2012, 09:41:11 AM

Heh.  That can wait a few years.

Being with dad and making sure mom is taken care of is more important right now.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #600 on: July 20, 2012, 09:49:39 AM

Being with dad and making sure mom is taken care of is more important right now.
Yep, this. My mother would be fine, we have lots of family in the area. But my fiancee is an only child and they have no other family at all, so she's the sole (well, along with me) caretaker and her mom is in her 80s.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #601 on: July 20, 2012, 01:31:37 PM

That's if mean old Iain isn't shredding your resume!  ACK!

Red Panda high 5!

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #602 on: July 21, 2012, 12:01:07 PM

I survived but it has been a brutal day.  Never, ever, ever seen one like this before (this would be my 5th one or so).

Now for the re-org.   swamp poop

Power vacuum?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #603 on: July 25, 2012, 01:01:13 PM

I'm interested, but I don't want to be moving too far away for a few years at this point in time.  After that I may want to get far away.
I'm also dying to relocate to his region...but I decided to be the responsible man and stand behind my fiancee's wish to be near her elderly mother, especially as she got ill last year. Responsibility sucks in some ways, dammit.

Don't miss good long term opportunities over short term issues.  I know it is not an easy thing to try and think past the death of an in-law without your spouse calling you heartless or worse, but you are in the middle of your life while your in-law is at the end of hers. 

But I don't know your situation, obviously.

I have never played WoW.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #604 on: August 03, 2012, 04:43:22 PM

Yep, this. My mother would be fine, we have lots of family in the area. But my fiancee is an only child and they have no other family at all, so she's the sole (well, along with me) caretaker and her mom is in her 80s.

No parents to speak of here, which is why I just took a job on the other side of Canada.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: August 03, 2012, 06:15:04 PM

Don't miss good long term opportunities over short term issues.  I know it is not an easy thing to try and think past the death of an in-law without your spouse calling you heartless or worse, but you are in the middle of your life while your in-law is at the end of hers. 

That's pretty heartless. I'm not going to abandon my mother-in-law to fend for herself.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #606 on: August 03, 2012, 06:45:53 PM

That's pretty heartless. I'm not going to abandon my mother-in-law to fend for herself.

This is similar to my situation.  When my Dad passed my aunt and I moved back home to take care of my Mom.  I've been out of work now a couple of years, and it sucks, but I can't really abandon my Mom to move someplace else for a job.  It wouldn't be so bad if she was a bit healthier but she's been slowly declining and her memory has been getting worse and worse.  Right now it's to the point where she can't even keep track of what day it is anymore.  Also family is family and it's bad enough I have other relatives that still try to leech off of her.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #607 on: August 03, 2012, 07:11:39 PM

More importantly, would you abandon your mother or father?  If not, then why are you asking your spouse to abandon theirs?

I'm glad I didn't move away prior to my dad's death in '08.   I would have regretted it when he took a very unexpected downturn due to an infection and died inside of a month.  As it is I feel bad that I didn't go to the hospital for two days after he was admitted just because it was 2 hours away.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #608 on: August 08, 2012, 08:42:28 PM

Wife has decided to urge me to find employment at another company due to rampant swamp poop at my current one.  So, anyone need a team lead with strong AIX/TSM/ksh and varying degrees of EMC/Oracle/DB2/SAP BASIS/leeenux/unix_is_unix_how_hard_can_it_be? why so serious?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #609 on: August 09, 2012, 07:27:57 AM

Wife has decided to urge me to find employment at another company due to rampant swamp poop at my current one.  So, anyone need a team lead with strong AIX/TSM/ksh and varying degrees of EMC/Oracle/DB2/SAP BASIS/leeenux/unix_is_unix_how_hard_can_it_be? why so serious?

What happened to your soon to be retiring boss who was dragging you a few rungs up on the corporate ladder on his way out?  If it were me and it still looked like this was going to happen I think I would tough it out for 6 months so I could plan a sideways exit based on the newer position.  Normally this makes the guy who just elevated you look bad but he will be retired so I doubt he gives a crap.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #610 on: August 09, 2012, 07:38:04 AM

How masochistic are you?  How much do you hate your family? evil

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #611 on: August 09, 2012, 08:34:12 AM

What happened to your soon to be retiring boss who was dragging you a few rungs up on the corporate ladder on his way out?  If it were me and it still looked like this was going to happen I think I would tough it out for 6 months so I could plan a sideways exit based on the newer position.  Normally this makes the guy who just elevated you look bad but he will be retired so I doubt he gives a crap.

Oh, this hasn't gone away, however the depth of swamp poop has increased so I'm just keeping my options open.  I'm now a Team Lead, next step is to socialize my name out so I can start moving around to other accounts.  The main issue right now is that the services division head was sacked and replaced with someone from finance.  That's never good.  My account team executive was already replaced by someone from finance, which was bad enough but when the entire services division gets a beancounter as lead I need to devise a Plan B and possibly Plan C.

How masochistic are you?  How much do you hate your family? evil

This depends entirely on the salary and if I can work remotely.

Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #612 on: August 09, 2012, 10:45:11 AM

The main issue right now is that the services division head was sacked and replaced with someone from finance.  That's never good.  My account team executive was already replaced by someone from finance, which was bad enough but when the entire services division gets a beancounter as lead I need to devise a Plan B and possibly Plan C.
It could be worse, they could have replaced him with someone from sales...
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #613 on: August 09, 2012, 11:34:03 AM

It could be worse, yes, which is why I'm still here.  Also, I'm scheduled for Suse training next month.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #614 on: August 09, 2012, 12:54:10 PM

This depends entirely on the salary and if I can work remotely.
Peanuts.  You can work remotely after you go home from your 8 to 10-hour day.

ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: August 09, 2012, 04:05:13 PM

Just got offered an entry-level network tech position at a small hosting company. Full time, benefits, way better than my lazy ass deserves. Turned my day from kind of stressful to awesome in a heartbeat.

Now I just have to move out of my buddy's spare room and I'll be like a real grown-up.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #616 on: August 09, 2012, 04:17:10 PM

The main issue right now is that the services division head was sacked and replaced with someone from finance.  That's never good.  My account team executive was already replaced by someone from finance, which was bad enough but when the entire services division gets a beancounter as lead I need to devise a Plan B and possibly Plan C.
I swear it's like the damn MBAs are taking over everything and subjecting us all to their masochistic love of spreadsheets and account balances.  Something that an accountant in a department used to do is now forced on everyone to do individually and there's hell to pay if you don't already know and love the bean counting ways.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #617 on: August 09, 2012, 05:56:05 PM

Recessions mean that everything comes under harder financial scrutiny.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #618 on: August 09, 2012, 06:13:06 PM

Recessions Alumni services for business schools mean that everything comes under harder financial scrutiny.
FTFY.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #619 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:59 PM

The main issue right now is that the services division head was sacked and replaced with someone from finance.

Our IT department was fairly recently moved to report to the CFO instead of the VP of Ops (we haven't had a CIO since the last one retired) and it has actually been a pretty huge improvement. I am as surprised as anyone.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #620 on: August 09, 2012, 06:46:17 PM

My advice in general to people considering moving abroad to work is to do it. It opens your mind in a lot of ways and changes your outlook profoundly. Even if you have family then figure out a way to make it work, things are inevitably simpler than they appear at first and a decent company hiring foreign workers will assist you with relocating dependants and partners.
Or join the Foreign Service like I just did, and they'll send you all over the place while paying for all your housing and bills!  You also get the advantage of serving your country instead of random evil corporation!  Anybody here who is even decently computer savy (getting through the interview process is more a matter of how good at writing and interviews you are, rather than what you know walking in the door.  They train you for everything else.) could get in as a computer tech (an IMS or IMTS).  I mean, hell, I got in somehow.  Also, age doesn't matter in the slightest.  My new recruit class through orientation ranged from a 24 year old to a 55 year old who's been in the IT industry for 30 years.

Though of course you don't have a whole lot of say in where you go (though you get decent control on your first time out).  When we had our Flag Day (ceremony where they finally announce where each of us are going and hand us the flag), there was sort of a funny Russian roulette of 6 possible places I was going to end up:  Ho Chi Mihn City, Bangkok, Kathmandu, Warsaw, New Delhi, or Lagos (Nigeria).   why so serious?

But I lived.  They're sending me to Poland!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:47:54 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #621 on: August 09, 2012, 06:57:02 PM

Congratulations on the job Ezrast.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #622 on: August 09, 2012, 07:32:11 PM

Yes, congratulations ezrast.  I've added your handle to my Firefox dictionary as a token of respect.

I don't know why anyone would work for peanuts when they could just get two $45/hr admin contracts and work both at the same time, remotely.  If you're conservative, just keep your main job and take on a remote contract and slop your way through it in the evenings.

As for the change in leadership, I suppose it can't be too bad as long as I survive the process.  Change is opportunity, of course, so I need to figure out some way to capitalize on it.  Fortunately, I'm a thousand times more mercenary than I was two years ago.  This doesn't mean that I abandoned my pride in my work, just that I am not going to (intentionally) be a lackey that is stuck in a rut.  Finishing this project on time and under budget will be a Big Deal that I can use to mobilize myself.  Either within HP or elsewhere.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #623 on: August 11, 2012, 02:45:08 PM

Or join the Foreign Service like I just did, and they'll send you all over the place while paying for all your housing and bills!  You also get the advantage of serving your country instead of random evil corporation!

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #624 on: August 12, 2012, 11:29:42 AM

Or join the Foreign Service like I just did, and they'll send you all over the place while paying for all your housing and bills!  You also get the advantage of serving your country instead of random evil corporation!
Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
I suppose a known evil corporation is better than a random one.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #625 on: August 21, 2012, 12:26:20 PM

Whelp, I just survived my fourth round of layoffs at Funcom in 4 years. Yay, me.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: August 21, 2012, 01:06:46 PM

Yay! \o/

cmlancas
Terracotta Army

Reply #627 on: August 22, 2012, 05:20:09 AM

I'm an instructional designer with five years experience and an M.Ed. (currently working on a PhD.) and would love to get the hell out of the podunk central Florida town I currently work in.  We value timeliness over quality, and it's so much  swamp poop at once that I'm dying to get out.

Anyone have training departments or something hiring for not terrible pay?  I love being on f13 all day, but I want to...you know, work and stuff too.

f13 Street Cred of the week:
I can't promise anything other than trauma and tragedy. -- schild
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: August 22, 2012, 05:28:56 AM

I'm an instructional designer with five years experience and an M.Ed. (currently working on a PhD.) and would love to get the hell out of the podunk central Florida town I currently work in.  We value timeliness over quality, and it's so much  swamp poop at once that I'm dying to get out.

Anyone have training departments or something hiring for not terrible pay?  I love being on f13 all day, but I want to...you know, work and stuff too.

http://jobs.apple.com/index.ajs?BID=1&method=mExternal.showJob&RID=118606&CurrentPage=1

"5+ years instructional design experience creating innovative sales and technical training solutions within high-tech companies"
"MA in instructional design, related discipline or equivalent work experience"

Seems to fit (well enough) your qualifications.

No offense but go to each of the fortune 500 companies home page.  Click 'Jobs' o the equivalent.  Click search.  Enter "Instructional Designer".  Press enter.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #629 on: August 22, 2012, 06:57:55 AM

I don't know why anyone would work for peanuts when they could just get two $45/hr admin contracts and work both at the same time, remotely.  If you're conservative, just keep your main job and take on a remote contract and slop your way through it in the evenings.
Maybe we don't know where to look to find such things!

*goes back to counting his peanuts*
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: