Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:38:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 116 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Job thread  (Read 992912 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: July 12, 2012, 09:55:43 AM

Both bosses I got along with well. This is really not a cut and dry decision, blah.

The one yesterday would be a more consistent schedule and would be supporting a much larger organization so it would give me better exposure to larger volume stuff.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #561 on: July 12, 2012, 10:55:54 AM

Which one is in the more stable department?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:56 AM

Which one is in the more stable department?

The one today in theory as it is effectively a contractor for the campus IT division that hires out people on contract to individual academic units so if the department decides to cut IT, I would be sent elsewhere. But the other dept is the largest department on campus in terms of total staff to support and has been short staffed for several months and is not likely to downsize in the foreseeable future.

In either case, as long as I do my job and not ruffle any feathers moving around between departments is somewhat easy, foot in the door and all that.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #563 on: July 12, 2012, 12:13:35 PM

So, I got first world problems. Just got another offer from another department on campus.
Did you say two openings?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #564 on: July 12, 2012, 12:20:02 PM

So, I got first world problems. Just got another offer from another department on campus.
Did you say two openings?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
The downside is that you'd have to move to Illinois and live in the Champaign area.  I'm fairly certain no job is worth it.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #565 on: July 12, 2012, 12:56:44 PM

C-U is fine. Well except for the whole you can see Bloomington on a clear day it is so damn flat.

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #566 on: July 12, 2012, 06:39:42 PM

My girlfriend is seriously starting to hate life while job hunting in the bay area...
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #567 on: July 13, 2012, 09:34:17 AM

Went with job 1, called the lady and she upped the offer to more than the other position and I felt the job was a better fit anyway.

I start July 30th. Think I might buy me one of those catleap monitors to celebrate.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: July 13, 2012, 10:32:44 AM

Congrats, Chimpy.  I know you've been looking for a long time.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #569 on: July 13, 2012, 11:08:52 AM

What does she do Selby? We have a couple open reqs.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #570 on: July 13, 2012, 01:39:01 PM

The owner of my company tried to convince me I was too laid back and should have a healthy amount of stress in my life.

The owner of your company is a wrongheaded douchebag, and you need to run away as soon as you can.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: July 13, 2012, 05:17:46 PM

What does she do Selby? We have a couple open reqs.
She's got a degree in psychology and has been a case manager for low income\mentally unstable people for the last 4-5 years.  She got laid off and relocated out here and everyone wants a master's in social work and 10+ years experience for the same job she had back east (and pays the same as back east).  She's currently working at a loan auditing firm that essentially outsourced itself to America from overseas to get American contracts, while paying their workers what the asian subcontinent feels is "too much" ($10/hr basically).  She's very bitter about it.  Lots of interviews, lots of "we'll get back to you" followed by silence or "we went with an internal candidate\someone with 20 more years experience" responses.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #572 on: July 15, 2012, 12:44:12 AM

Hm, well, unless that qualifies her to be a VP of HR (it might  why so serious?) I don't think we have anything matching.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #573 on: July 17, 2012, 09:03:55 PM

Going to look for another contractor.  You will have to go through Tek Systems.  Need an AIX expert.  Standard pay, weekend/evening work, free soda, and you get to work with me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: July 18, 2012, 07:32:26 AM

You are supposed to be pitching the job, not tanking the chances of someone applying for it Yeg!

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #575 on: July 18, 2012, 08:27:03 AM

We need a gameplay programmer (UE3), a backend programmer, a UI artist and two senior QA bods.

Also a lead designer but I've pitched for that so don't go breaking my heart.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: July 18, 2012, 12:24:49 PM

Tell them to pull my resume out for the QA position. tongue

Verbal Update:  Did a Terminal Services conversion which took 125 piece-of-junk workstations and made them decent thin clients using Thinstation in a 6-week period.  Migrated a remote office shortly afterwards, and spent last week moving a second office over.  Required extensive knowledge of Terminal Server, AD, GPO, DNS, DHCP, and Exchange.

kthnx

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #577 on: July 18, 2012, 12:57:33 PM

If you're still interested then you should reapply. I don't think they keep old CVs. Mention me in your cover letter if you do (goes for anyone here).

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #578 on: July 18, 2012, 01:23:36 PM

Dear Creative Director,

Please accept my attached CV for consideration for your open Lead Game Designer position. I'm totally way better than that Iain guy.

Cheers, Viin

- Viin
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #579 on: July 18, 2012, 03:47:18 PM

Today my boss tells me he is taking the early retirement package (that the general public might not know about).  Besides the fact that I will have had four managers inside of three years, this means I have no choice but to tell him that I need a title change before he leaves.  I have worked too hard on this project - and done too good of a job - to start over proving myself to someone new.

Also today, I attended a presentation just to congratulate my account on a milestone: no service misses for this month, the first time since the account opened in January 2010.  Additionally, my project (yeah, it's big and visible enough to be singled out) was "green" for the first time ever.

And... fucking Swype.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:33:30 PM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #580 on: July 18, 2012, 04:42:12 PM

Tomorrow is D day.  4% reduction in my line of business at management level and no one is protected.   ACK!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #581 on: July 18, 2012, 04:53:51 PM

swamp poop

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #582 on: July 18, 2012, 06:51:47 PM

Tomorrow is D day.  4% reduction in my line of business at management level and no one is protected.   ACK!
Rumours are going around of 10% at my job too.  No one knows when but it's been talked about for at least 3 weeks.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: July 19, 2012, 07:43:11 AM

A lot of shit is hitting the fan. Next year is when we find out if the county follows through on their promise to de-fund libraries completely. We're one more major public tax vote away from short-term stability, but the tea-tards are out in full force.

They fucking use our wifi.
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #584 on: July 19, 2012, 11:48:07 AM

Setup a filter on the wifi that redirects tea party websites to someplace fun  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #585 on: July 19, 2012, 11:57:09 AM

Setup a filter on the wifi that redirects tea party websites to someplace fun  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
See if they want a lemon party to go with their tea party?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #586 on: July 19, 2012, 11:59:31 AM

Sometimes it's difficult when you're on the high road.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: July 19, 2012, 12:05:35 PM

See if they want a lemon party to go with their tea party?

This times a million.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #588 on: July 19, 2012, 12:08:53 PM

Rumours are going around of 10% at my job too.  No one knows when but it's been talked about for at least 3 weeks.

Remember that the economists have said that the recession is over, right? 

I hope you guys aren't part of it and that everything comes out okay.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #589 on: July 19, 2012, 12:20:59 PM

Sometimes it's difficult when you're on the high road.

Serving all the public, even the douchebags, is not the easiest of jobs that is a fact.

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #590 on: July 19, 2012, 04:00:35 PM

I survived but it has been a brutal day.  Never, ever, ever seen one like this before (this would be my 5th one or so).

Now for the re-org.   swamp poop

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: July 19, 2012, 04:34:00 PM

You'd think 4%-management-only would be relatively "easy" as layoffs go. Our are always 10%-mostly-grunts.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #592 on: July 19, 2012, 05:03:53 PM

If you're still interested then you should reapply. I don't think they keep old CVs. Mention me in your cover letter if you do (goes for anyone here).
I'm interested, but I don't want to be moving too far away for a few years at this point in time.  After that I may want to get far away.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #593 on: July 19, 2012, 05:07:29 PM

You'd think 4%-management-only would be relatively "easy" as layoffs go. Our are always 10%-mostly-grunts.

Eventually senior management realizes that if they cut more grunts middle-management will have to do the work and has no idea how.  Plus they cost a lot more and you can't shift them to multiple part-timers to cover the same job as easily as the grunts. (No benefits to pay, yay!)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #594 on: July 19, 2012, 06:47:37 PM

I'm interested, but I don't want to be moving too far away for a few years at this point in time.  After that I may want to get far away.
I'm also dying to relocate to his region...but I decided to be the responsible man and stand behind my fiancee's wish to be near her elderly mother, especially as she got ill last year. Responsibility sucks in some ways, dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 116 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Job thread  
Jump to: