Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:53:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Developer Diary: Volume III Book 2 Crafting Update 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Developer Diary: Volume III Book 2 Crafting Update  (Read 3842 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: September 01, 2010, 12:27:21 PM

« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:33:38 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:09 PM

Wow, that giant BUY BUY BUY button on the in-game UI sticks out like a sore thumb. Say what you want about STO's store, at least the in-game access was tastefully hidden behind a menu. I guess it's a good thing we have Lua UI mods now... I can get one that strips that sumbitch out.

I've got no quarrel with the store, so long as they don't poke me in the eye with it every time I need to look at the UI.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:11:50 PM

Agreed, someone contacted giant iconitious recently.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:48 PM

You can already reskin the LotRO interface.  As of now the store button is semi-protected according to the skinners but there's already a skin out that makes it a bit less garish.

E: Added image.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:36:20 PM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 02:17:33 PM

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 02:17:58 PM

Oh, I see it.

awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 06:36:41 AM

From the launcher this morning:

If you currently have active crafting consignment quests, please cancel or complete these quests before server maintenance begins on Tuesday, Sept 7.  These quests (available in Overhill, Silverdeep Mine, Combe Lumber Camp, or Duillond) will no longer be available once Volume III, Book 2 goes live.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 07:10:58 AM

Odd, I always thought those were an interesting quest type, if not highly underused by the players.

For those of you who haven’t done these (I’ll admit I just started myself) you essentially are paying an NPC to go off and farm materials for you, up to Artisian level.  You travel to the NPC and there will be a few different options for the different skill levels and based on your level you purchase the right one.  Using those items creates a new quest which is essentially a timer and at the end of the timer you return to the NPC and they present you with a key to a chest with the appropriate crafting ingredients.  There isn’t a ton of ingredients but usually a handful of the different types including chances for some of the crit items.  These can be pretty handy for leveling up alts or in augmenting your resource gathering at the lower levels.  They’re also nice for cases where you can’t gather resources for yourself.  Case in point, the Historian includes weapon-smithing but no prospecting, so these quests can help quite a bit.

Source of word that were better than any explanation I could write.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 07:27:10 AM

I've used the consignment quests a bit on my LM (tailor), since I couldn't be arsed to farm 200 more exceptional hides to master the artisan-master tailor levels. The concept was good, but the execution was... spotty.

Getting to the dudes who sold the contracts / gave out the stuff was a pain (no fast travel option, you had to fast travel to michel delving and then just use your mount... maybe take a 1s mount to hobbiton) and it was a lot of downtime/hassle to keep doing that while also doing your normal leveling / traveling / questing routine. The supple hides quest also only gave about ~15 hides total, and most of those were pristine (almost useless) with a few sturdy (useless). In the end, I just decided it was less of a hassle and more time/cost-efficient (!) to buy bulk hides from the AH instead.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:29:04 AM by Zetor »

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 07:28:38 AM

I found them pretty useful for rapidly leveling up my Scholar. It's too goddamned hard to find enough mats for the vocation otherwise.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:39:29 AM

With further reading it seems in beta they were "fixing" them, I half think this removal is just until they get the sorted out (meaning didn't make launch build or was cut for launch).

I always thought they were a great thing for casuals to use, but like other have stated, a bit rough in spots. Maybe we will see a new and improved version some time down the road, i would hate to see them gone forever.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Lord of the Rings Online  |  Topic: Developer Diary: Volume III Book 2 Crafting Update  
Jump to: