Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:37:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Official Comics Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Official Comics Thread  (Read 30901 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #70 on: February 10, 2005, 03:47:42 PM

WHY still noone has thought about opening a colossal online store selling digital volumes? I'd make them RICH.

The only time most people want to read digital copies of comics is when they're downloading them for free.  Besides, with the shape the comics industry is in I don't think anybody is going to get rich from selling comics.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #71 on: February 10, 2005, 04:13:13 PM

Heck, I'd buy 'em that way. I'm not really a collector so much as I am a reader. Part of the reason my renewed interest didn't last so long was because I was blowing way too much cash on TPB's. It's a ripoff. Buying them digitally would be much easier on my pocketbook.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #72 on: February 10, 2005, 08:36:44 PM

Heck, I'd buy 'em that way. I'm not really a collector so much as I am a reader. Part of the reason my renewed interest didn't last so long was because I was blowing way too much cash on TPB's. It's a ripoff. Buying them digitally would be much easier on my pocketbook.

That's assuming buying them digitally would be cheaper.  I was looking at amazon.com, comparing the costs of ebooks to paperbacks of the same book.  In some cases the e-book was slightly cheaper.  In the case of some Stephen King novels the ebooks actually cost a few dollars more than the paperback.  At most I'd say maybe you save a dollar or two, for a TPB you can't read in bed, on the couch, or wherever else you like to read them.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #73 on: February 11, 2005, 11:03:20 AM

To be fair to e-comics, though, these are pretty cool.

(At playboy.com, but work safe unless they're tracking you and will see "playboy.com" in your history.)

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
schild
Administrator

Reply #74 on: February 14, 2005, 02:38:35 AM

So, I just started reading Planetary on recommendation from the local comic book store freak owner.

It rocks. And Spider Jerusalem makes an appearance. Before he's Spider Jerusalem. I won't tell you all what volume it's in. The first 2 trades are out and the third is out in hardback form.
plangent
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: February 14, 2005, 11:29:28 AM

After reading the first five volumes, I want those glasses. I think they're the perfect accesory for a certain convention in a few months.

You're going to DragonCon?

Homo sum.  Humani nil a me alienum puto.
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: February 14, 2005, 11:30:23 AM

E3. I don't even know what Dragoncon is.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #77 on: February 14, 2005, 11:46:26 AM

It's the GenCon of the South. Held in Atlanta every August(?) and is the largest sci-fantasy/geek/closet furry convention this side of the Mississippi. I think.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #78 on: February 14, 2005, 11:54:52 AM

So we get our own little sub-forum?  Neat.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #79 on: February 14, 2005, 01:44:54 PM

It's the GenCon of the South. Held in Atlanta every August(?) and is the largest sci-fantasy/geek/closet furry convention this side of the Mississippi. I think.

Apparently, although I've never gone. So far conventions have never held my interest.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: February 14, 2005, 02:06:01 PM

Technically, GenCon is now on that side of the Mississippi, too. :)

Bruce
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #81 on: February 19, 2005, 02:54:14 PM

Didn't want to make a new topic just for this but it seems that Whedon and Cassaday have signed on for 24 more issues of Astonishing X-Men.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #82 on: February 21, 2005, 08:57:47 AM

Didn't want to make a new topic just for this but it seems that Whedon and Cassaday have signed on for 24 more issues of Astonishing X-Men.

This is all sorts of good news. They've done the best X-Men since Grant Morrison, and this comes from a longtime old skool X-Men fan. Claremont's current run makes me and baby jesus weep in our beer.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #83 on: March 29, 2005, 08:59:14 PM

To be fair to e-comics, though, these are pretty cool.

(At playboy.com, but work safe unless they're tracking you and will see "playboy.com" in your history.)

The best way I could see e-comics working is if the big publishers like Marvel, DC, and Dark Horse offered a flat subscription fee to read all their new comics each month.  Right now a lot of people torrent new comics the day they come out.  While I don't have too much of a problem with people downloading them, reading them, and then buying the ones they want (since comics are usually around $3 now for 32 pages of story, making them expensive to just try out on a whim) if these companies offered this instead there would be a decent chunk of money coming and new series would be able to find a lot more support.

Aside from that, the current Conan series has showed that a 25 cent first issues goes a long way to building support for a new series (and it doesn't hurt that it's Conan, with Kurt Busiek writing of course).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #84 on: July 14, 2005, 07:25:15 PM

Runaways Hardcover bitches!  Coming next month, all 18 issues of the first volume for about $23.
schild
Administrator

Reply #85 on: July 14, 2005, 07:27:39 PM

Ok, that I'll be buying.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #86 on: July 22, 2005, 06:46:26 PM

A few more deals I wanted to give a heads up on:

Green Lantern:  Rebirth Hardcover for $12.49 (50% off).  Ships October 12th.  I'm not really into Green Lantern too much, nor do I particularly care about Hal Jordan coming back, or getting into all the continuity.  Still, this is a pretty entertaining story with some great art, and at a really good price for a hardcover.

Runaways Vol. 4:  True Believers digest for $3.99 (also 50% off).  Shipping Sept. 28th, collecting the first 6 issues of the second volume.

Also available at dcbservice.com which I can't get links to (so just do a search):

Rising Stars Hardcover for $34.99 (orig. $69.99).  Collects all 24 issues (not sure if it has the 0 or 1/2 issues).  I didn't think the story lived up to the expectations set by the first story arc, but still decent stuff and maybe a better read for those who didn't wait years for the last 3 issues.

Walking Dead Vol. 1:  Days Gone Bye for $6.47 (orig. $9.95).  Collects the first 6 issues.  Already talked about how good it was in another topic.

Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: July 23, 2005, 10:54:48 AM

I didn't read the whole thread but I'd add Kabuki  to that list.  It's obvious in his earlier stuff that he's a big Moore/Miller/Claremont fanboy, but eventually IMO he found his own voice.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #88 on: July 23, 2005, 09:43:52 PM

Looks like dcbservice.com also has INVINCIBLE VOL 1 ULTIMATE COLLECTION Hardcover on sale for 50% at $17.47.  Collects the first 13 issues.  I'll try and review this one soon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Official Comics Thread  
Jump to: