Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:00:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer)  (Read 67777 times)
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #245 on: May 16, 2011, 06:24:05 PM

His goal production has come primarily against the portland timbers. It's  like 10 against them and 2 elsewhere for his career

The biggest goal came in the 2009 US Open Cup, the last time those two had played before this weekend.

You can guess at what time in the match the goal was scored  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
WayAbvPar

Reply #246 on: May 17, 2011, 09:01:42 AM

I remember it well!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #247 on: June 25, 2011, 04:56:05 PM

Gold Cup Finals BAYBEEE

I have no fucking idea which way this thing is going to go.

Meanwhile LA Galaxy are having to play a forward as  keeper for a half.

Holy Fuck, Adu is starting.

And at the half it's 2-2 and if I die from alcohol poisoning, I blame Bornstein.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:00:27 PM by sigil »
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #248 on: June 25, 2011, 07:44:23 PM

Fuck.  Heartbreak

And double Fuck.  Heartbreak Heartbreak
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 07:50:00 PM by ghost »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #249 on: June 25, 2011, 08:37:55 PM

Yep. Good game, but the USA has a real problem at defense. Where is Onyewu, injured? The fullback positions are a bit of a wreck. Even Cherundolo doesn't light the world on fire. A team with the kind of class and speed that Mexico has can just shred that back line, especially when it's at a 45 degree angle. On a positive note, Adu looked pretty damn good. Not sure about Agudelo - he seems to be too easy to muscle off the ball to play as a single striker. Jermaine Jones also does not thrill me. But I'm starting to warm to Dempsey.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #250 on: June 26, 2011, 05:39:25 AM

Yeah, but you don't get up 2-0 and blow it that bad.  Fuck, put in a couple of defensive minded midfielders at that point. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #251 on: June 26, 2011, 11:00:21 AM

You do if your fucking fullback can't figure out that he needs to play even with the centre backs in order to catch speedy forwards offsides. The amount of times the centre backs just got blown away by someone being played onside by either Jermaine Jones or one of the fullbacks was horrible. Tim Howard got left on an island way too many times. Jermaine Jones is supposed to be a defensive midfielder, I thought - he certainly played like one (badly). Another problem the US has is some of them are too timid when faced with a shot. They want to take too many touches when they should be shooting first time. Jones had a particularly bad example. Once they got down, they forgot about going out on the wings and tried to hammer through route 1. Playing Donovan up top really didn't help - he needs to be the one to knit the play from the midfield to the striker. Dempsey would have been a better choice up top.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #252 on: June 26, 2011, 07:06:11 PM

Yeah, that's the point:  our fullbacks suck ass.  You don't want to go into a prevent defense that early but it was probably our only hope of winning. 
WayAbvPar

Reply #253 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:51 AM

Cherundolo was probably the US's best player in the Gold Cup until he got hurt. Not sure he would have made much of a difference, but jesus fuck Bornstein is useless. Was nice to see Adu get some time and not piss it away...he looks like he might be useful going forward.

In other footballing news, got a call from a buddy Sunday morning- he had SUITE Sounders tickets and didn't realize they were for that day, and needed someone to go with him. Being a very loyal friend, I of course obliged. Wow. I really need to hit the lottery and buy suites for all my sporting events. What a great way to watch a game. Food and beverages everywhere, a great site line just over midfield, a parking pass, and a PRIVATE bathroom. Yes please.

Oh, and Seattle won, thanks in part to one of the sickest free kicks I have seen in recent memory from Tyson Wahl.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #254 on: June 27, 2011, 12:41:12 PM

I had completely forgotten about Freddy Adu.  That guy had a ton of pressure on him.  Glad to see he's coming through a little bit on the positive side. 
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #255 on: July 04, 2011, 01:31:08 PM

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #256 on: July 04, 2011, 03:09:34 PM

seriously, she held that ball for like two seconds.
WayAbvPar

Reply #257 on: July 04, 2011, 03:21:17 PM

I didn't realize Thierry Henry had family in Equatorial Guinea. LOLFIFA.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #258 on: July 05, 2011, 08:20:01 AM

WOW.  ACK!

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #259 on: July 10, 2011, 11:08:15 AM

Holy shit, your girls know how to play an exciting game.

Now kick out France.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #260 on: July 10, 2011, 11:09:55 AM

That match had me in tears. I've never seen a game like that. Amazing.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #261 on: July 10, 2011, 01:00:09 PM

That was fucking compelling.  And, of course, I had to take the kid to swim lessons during the second overtime period...... 
WayAbvPar

Reply #262 on: July 11, 2011, 08:42:27 AM

Very very cool. Seriously dramatic.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #263 on: July 11, 2011, 06:45:34 PM

and hey Seattle scored FIVE GOALS yesterday... hehehe
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #264 on: July 11, 2011, 08:29:03 PM

Heh, that was a fun second half game to watch (the Sounders/Timbers game that is).

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #265 on: July 12, 2011, 07:59:50 AM

That was fucking compelling.  And, of course, I had to take the kid to swim lessons during the second overtime period...... 

This is why you shouldn't have children.
WayAbvPar

Reply #266 on: July 12, 2011, 08:38:52 AM

and hey Seattle scored FIVE GOALS yesterday... hehehe

Heh. I was screaming and bitching about how fucking ridiculously lucky Portland was...then they scored on the PK and I didn't care any more  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #267 on: July 13, 2011, 10:07:30 AM

The US Women look terrible so far against France. They are just weathering the storm and can't do that forever. Unless they decide to attack, France is going to win.

EDIT: Different team in the last 20 minutes of the half. US 3-1!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:33:06 AM by Paelos »

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #268 on: July 13, 2011, 10:56:08 AM

The US Women look terrible so far against France. They are just weathering the storm and can't do that forever. Unless they decide to attack, France is going to win.

EDIT: Different team in the last 20 minutes of the half. US 3-1!

This was going to be my post almost verbatim - :D

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
WayAbvPar

Reply #269 on: July 13, 2011, 11:16:47 AM

Yay final! I have had a crush on Hope Solo for a decade or so now.  this guy looks legit

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #270 on: July 13, 2011, 11:20:31 AM

I really really want a picture of her holding the trophy with her arm around Harrison Ford.

Epic.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #271 on: July 13, 2011, 01:02:00 PM

Japan vs Sweden. Epic goals. Watch it.

ACK! Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? awesome, for real
 DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #272 on: July 17, 2011, 02:18:59 PM

Japan really out played them I think.  US was clearly physically dominant but they seem to rely on that to win, and they just made a lot of sloppy plays. 
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #273 on: July 17, 2011, 03:09:07 PM

Japan really out played them I think.  US was clearly physically dominant but they seem to rely on that to win, and they just made a lot of sloppy plays. 

The first Japan goal just made me cringe, no way that should've happened.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #274 on: July 17, 2011, 03:22:42 PM

Yep. Good game, but the USA has a real problem at defense. Where is Onyewu, injured? The fullback positions are a bit of a wreck.

I only caught extra time and the penalties, so I don't know what the rest of the game looked like, but hell yeah.  The US back 5 were a mess - Japan should have scored 3-4 times in the last 15 minutes. 
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #275 on: July 17, 2011, 03:42:11 PM

Japan has been extremely consistent throughout the tournament. They play their game. They don't get rattled. They were simply better and that's really been the story of them the whole tournament.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #276 on: July 17, 2011, 04:13:40 PM

Can we get someone to make a fucking penalty shot? I didn't watch any of the World Cup before this, so was this poor spot kick performance a new thing?

Good game otherwise.

EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #277 on: July 17, 2011, 04:29:39 PM

The US dominated the game with 27 shots, but only 6 were on goal and only 2 were converted.  It came back to bite them in the ass.  They went into the game with a plan to counter Japan's possession game and they executed it perfectly, playing beautiful possession football of their own.  It was quite possibly the best game the USA played the entire tournament.  Unfortunately, a defensive blunder by the US led to the first goal, and a lucky deflection off a set piece gave Japan the draw.  The PKs can't be explained.  They were 5 for 5 in the Brazil game, it just wasn't meant to be this time.   cry

most often known as Drevik
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #278 on: July 17, 2011, 04:53:45 PM

I attended a World Cup viewing party with my wife and her Japanese female friends.  A rather hostile atmosphere for US fans...  ACK!

But seriously, if the US couldn't win it, I am glad Japan did.  Good technical football, a great team attitude, and they are providing a shot in the arm to a country that really needs it. 

Overall, this was a great World Cup.  I enjoyed watching this more than the 2010 World Cup.  I hope it grows women's football.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
WayAbvPar

Reply #279 on: July 18, 2011, 09:06:16 AM

Agreed that if US couldn't win, glad Japan did. Dear god, the first Japan goal was such a gift.  Clearing the ball BACK THROUGH THE MIDDLE of the 6 yard box is really never never a good idea. I would rather have her try to kick it up over the bar or something. PKs were just fucking embarrassing.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer)  
Jump to: