Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:53:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer) 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer)  (Read 68408 times)
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #105 on: January 07, 2011, 12:48:00 PM

Gerrard and Lampard (though his bandwagon is pretty empty these days) are both not tier 1 stars and only in England because they are English have people ever thought they were but that is true of essentially every modern English player.

I would really like to see Arsenal win it, they have consistently played the most attractive and entertaining football in England basically every year (except when United had Ronaldo and they were just carving people up) and never get rewarded for it because half their team is so damn brittle and they must have the worst team doctors in all of professional sports.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: January 07, 2011, 07:12:33 PM

I disagree with what you said about Gerrard. He's on more than he's off. Unfortunately, when he's off (or off the pitch), he's the entire axis of their attack and it's very rare that anyone takes up his slack.

I'm going on the handful of full Liverpool matches I've managed to snooze through for the last few seasons and his performances at the World Cup. In all those games I've seen him unsuccessfully attempt hollywood passes and long range shots for the course of 90 minutes (then I watch highlights of him and he looks like Roy of the bloody Rovers). For all his flair he never just plays the simple stuff in the way Lampard will, maybe he doesn't trust the team around him or maybe his ego has gotten the better of him. Seen this happen to others who haven't been managed properly, post Mourinho Deco being the first that comes to mind.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #107 on: January 07, 2011, 11:29:02 PM

You are both wrong about Gerrard. He has at times single-handedly carried the entire Liverpool team, especially the last two seasons. England's problems are too many stars who do not gel well with others, which makes them all look like fools. Since Benitez ran off Xabi Alonso before the 09/10 season, Gerrard has absolutely not trusted anyone on that team not named Fernando Torres, which is why his performances are either "I will win this fucking thing by myself, you cunts" or "fuck this, why didn't I go to Chelsea when I had the chance, at least I wouldn't be playing with fuckfaces like Jermaine Goddamn Pennant."

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #108 on: January 08, 2011, 10:28:18 AM

Well fuck. Seven months?

Hodgson's out at Liverpool. Daglish is in. Not really that surprised, just disappointed. I really don't think it was Hodgson so much as the shitty state of the locker room that put them in this position. He never even really got the chance to shape the team into what he wanted, and was saddled with fuckheads like Lucas in key positions. We'll see how well Daglish can do with them. My guess? Not that much better.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: January 08, 2011, 12:15:56 PM

Yeh I don't think he was given enough time, but you need a certain temperament to manage a near unmanageable. team. Hodgson wasnt it apparently.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #110 on: January 08, 2011, 09:51:54 PM

You have to applaud Hodgson for not running on the pitch and choking the shit out of half that team every game.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: January 08, 2011, 10:04:46 PM

No matter how bad the results are under Dalglish fans won't turn against him.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #112 on: January 09, 2011, 07:29:58 PM

It is physically painful to watch Liverpool these days. I made it through half the game before I had to just fast-forward to the end. I thought the Gerrard red card was harsh but letter of the law, but that penalty was fucking clownshoes. Berbatov took Ronaldo's Diving Boots today.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: January 10, 2011, 01:30:12 PM

I really don't think the Hodgson thing was ever going anywhere. I was in favour of hiring him as the best of a bad lot, but it really hasn't worked out and clearly wasn't ever going to. It is the only time I've ever seen Liverpool fans really turn on a manager, and it wasn't really his fault - but getting rid of him was the only possible fix.

As for the Daglish hiring, although the guy is clearly a legend I'm not sure this is such a great idea. It seems a lot like something Newcastle would do.

I'm sure he'll have us finish 8th instead of 15th or whatever, but the problem is going to come at the end of the season, there is no way anyone worth having is going to be stupid enough to want to follow Kenny Daglish without an Abu Dhabi transfer budget (which we will not ever have). The guy literally cannot be fired and this is not a healthy position for us to be in when he hasn't been a football manager for a decade and hasn't been successful football manager for 15 years.

Barring the Scottish League Cup (which doesn't fucking count) Kenny Daglish's last trophy was in the pre-UO era. There are posters on this forum who were not yet born.

Also that Damian Collonnionioi director of football guy might as well get out - because that shit clearly isn't going to work now.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: January 10, 2011, 02:56:06 PM

his son has won more trophies than him in the past ten years :D
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: January 12, 2011, 04:16:16 AM

There are people who were born after UO on this board? Who?!
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: January 16, 2011, 06:54:13 AM

That 45 minute supports my Gerrard theory, Liverpool's best team performance for a few months.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: January 25, 2011, 11:52:08 PM

Berbatov sensational this season, my belief in him nearly faltered end of last season, but still two fingers to all you soccer hacks.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #118 on: January 31, 2011, 10:55:42 AM

Fuck me, what the goddamn holy monkey fuck is going on in England? Andy Carroll to Liverpool for 35 million pounds AFTER they bought Suarez for 22.5 million, then Torres maybe going to Chelsea for 50 million AND Charlie Adam for a rumored 14 million to Liverpool? Jesus fucking Christ, you'd think Liverpool were in a title race. Carroll is good but do they really need a guy who has been hurt and had run-ins with the law in his first year in the Prem? And they shipped Konchesky off to Nottingham Forest on loan. Ummm, that leaves Aurellio as the only natural left back, which means Johnson will be playing that spot a lot. I'll be glad to finally have strikers but holy shit that's crazy money for an unproven guy.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: February 01, 2011, 08:49:31 AM

I would rather have Carroll and Suarez than an injury prone superstar in Torres, but yeh 35m for Carroll is insane considering how much Barca payed for Villa. All the same it's slighlty similar a coup to how he landed Shearer for BB way back when, if he proves as valuable it's a snip.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #120 on: February 01, 2011, 10:00:53 AM

Yeah, I'm not that sad to see Torres go based on the crazy amount of injuries he's had over the years. His little dig at Liverpool about how he's finally at a top class club means he can fuck right off personally. It really sucks that after all these years when they finally get him some goddamn cover in the form of Suarez, he ups and decides to leave 3 days before the window is closed.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: February 01, 2011, 07:22:55 PM

Spurs had reached agreement with Blackpool over Charlie Adam, but couldn't get the contract signed before midnight.  awesome, for real

Also, the featured player on the Newcastle United Team Calendar for February. You already know who it is  awesome, for real awesome, for real awesome, for real DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: February 02, 2011, 02:12:45 AM

Craziest end to a transfer window in a long while. I put it down to Dalglish, he got got big cajones.

voblat
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: February 04, 2011, 04:07:55 AM

I would rather have Carroll and Suarez than an injury prone superstar in Torres, but yeh 35m for Carroll is insane considering how much Barca payed for Villa. All the same it's slighlty similar a coup to how he landed Shearer for BB way back when, if he proves as valuable it's a snip.

I think the price involved is causing everyone to look at it too closely.

Chelsea inflated the prices, if it had been £30 million for Torres and £15 million for Carroll, I doubt anyone would have queried the move, same price difference between the two, there was just a 20 million Chelsea tax added onto the money movement.

Torres hasnt been good for nearly two years, including the world cup, so there is more than 'didnt want to be at liverpool' involved in my view.

I think Liverpool got the better deal long term.

Also sad to see Gary Neville retire, hes a pantomime hate figure for everyone but Man Utd fans obviously, but I still think there has never been a full back better at crossing the ball in the game, and I doubt Beckham would be quite where he is now without him. Beckham's legend at Man utd is bullt largely on Neville's sweat.

Fan of the club, playing his whole career at that club , once Carragher, Giggs and Scholes follow suit, I doubt we will see that again.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: February 04, 2011, 04:51:18 AM

I can appreciate Neville, but I've never loved him. He's been done for about 2-3 years now and it is good to see him know it's time to move on.

People talk about the crazy transfer money, but it's really just Chelsea money getting spent, and spent again mostly.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: February 05, 2011, 01:55:57 PM

I think the price involved is causing everyone to look at it too closely.

For sure it's a bit of a gamble, but personally I think Carroll is top quality just needs to stay out of trouble and concentrate on achieving his full potential.

Also sad to see Gary Neville retire, hes a pantomime hate figure for everyone but Man Utd fans obviously.

He irritates Man United fans too with his antics and sloppy defending. Glad he's stepped down he's a liability on the pitch in the last couple of years, the way he was in his early days.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: February 05, 2011, 02:01:04 PM

Also what a day...  Facepalm

Hope Liverpool nail Chelsea tomorrow.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #127 on: February 05, 2011, 08:02:05 PM

I decided against Tivo'ing the Wolves/United game because I didn't think it'd be close.

Fuck. I would have loved to have seen that.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: February 06, 2011, 11:10:41 AM

Carragher was vintage Carragher, got a foot on everything.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #129 on: February 06, 2011, 11:51:51 AM

It was good to see him back. That was a great performance by Liverpool. I would have liked to have seen Suarez get some minutes but hey a win's a win.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #130 on: February 12, 2011, 06:29:22 PM

Wow.  Rooney owns Machester City.  This is a spectacular goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4WV4rPkWZM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #131 on: February 13, 2011, 12:31:28 AM

Yeah, I watched that game and had to pause it to show my wife. That was just goddamn incredible.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: February 13, 2011, 08:03:16 AM

We had to sit through 75 minutes of dredge to witness why they call it the beautiful game. Harkens me back to Hornby's fever pitch especially as Rooney couldnt even execute a 3 yard pass for most of the game.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: February 13, 2011, 12:14:22 PM

A beautiful shot.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: February 15, 2011, 06:14:53 PM

What a glorious game (yeah I know it was a brawl) for Spurs. Spurs showed much composure in the face of that.

And of all the people for Gattuso to go all red mist on, Joe Jordan?  Rofl Waffle
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: February 16, 2011, 02:41:51 AM

Spurs doing good in Europe, I like fairytale stories Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #136 on: February 16, 2011, 11:32:34 AM

Charlie Davies staying with DC United for the season.

Good for him.  That car wreck was pretty bad.  He's lucky to be alive. 
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: February 16, 2011, 09:09:51 PM

Someone asked Coach Ben Olsen if Davies was to have a curfew awesome, for real
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #138 on: February 22, 2011, 08:47:34 PM

Oh you Spurs.  awesome, for real

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #139 on: February 27, 2011, 08:25:46 PM

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer)  
Jump to: