Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer)  (Read 67796 times)
Bokonon
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: November 21, 2010, 05:28:08 PM

Shoot me now. I thought Fulham were past relegation battles for the time being...
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: November 24, 2010, 06:24:19 PM

Spurs are in to the eliminations. I'm expecting the world to end any day now
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 25, 2010, 06:44:32 AM

As I said in last years thread Spurs have one hell of a squad & Gareth Bale really reminds me of Lee Sharpe, exciting to watch.

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #73 on: November 25, 2010, 10:58:55 PM

Spurs are in to the eliminations. I'm expecting the world to end any day now

Bremen has been terrible since shortly after they played Spurs the first time. Lots of injuries, their defense has been horribly porous and no offense to speak of. I think their last two Bundesliga games I've watched they've been beaten like 6-0 and 5-1.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 26, 2010, 05:01:25 AM

Bremen were surprisingly poor but to be fair Spurs are also missing Woodgate, King and Dawson (not that two of them are any surprise).

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: November 26, 2010, 06:33:27 AM

Dawson's back to full training !

Spurs needs, IMO, would be:

world class finisher, (and good luck with that one...)
finding a replacement for BAE  (passes from him going forward scare the piss out of me every time and rightly so and his defending scares me too)

everything else I'm  happy with, hell even gomes can stay.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: November 26, 2010, 07:18:38 AM

world class finisher, (and good luck with that one...)
finding a replacement for BAE  (passes from him going forward scare the piss out of me every time and rightly so and his defending scares me too)

Defoe on form is this, he's probably the most clinical finisher in the Premiership. But he loses his nerve too easily.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 28, 2010, 03:02:39 PM

Observations from todays win:

Sometimes when Spurs score it can just take your breath away.

It's the goals they give up that make you want to scream.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #78 on: November 28, 2010, 05:19:33 PM

Liverpool should have been 3 or 4 goals to the good by the end of the first half. Maxi walked past an absolute sitter, and Torres failed to pull the trigger on two or three other opportunities. Kuyt had at least 1 or 2 pullback passes that he missed someone with an easy road to score. Of course, Defoe missing the penalty made up for that. Liverpool has a real problem with finishing, and now they are without Carragher for a little while. Spurs won and they should have.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: November 28, 2010, 05:32:22 PM

United top of the PL & Berbatov top scorer, I'm feeling pretty smug right about now.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #80 on: November 29, 2010, 01:52:47 PM

Holy hell is Barca beating Real Madrid like a rented burro.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #81 on: December 01, 2010, 07:25:51 AM

Watching Barca play is like watching art.  Their midfield is just brilliant and they probably have the best talent on the planet right now (and not just Messi).

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: December 01, 2010, 04:05:38 PM

We may not win the bid because of vote sharing and bribes, but god damn if that bid presentation by the US didn't make me proud to be an American.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: December 02, 2010, 09:05:50 AM

Russia to host in 2018, Qatar to host in 2022

Ohhhhh, I see.

Russia was a fair shout I guess, although I look forward to the inevitable corruption that will come with the event. Qatar is shameless money grabbing though. A country with a population of 1.6 million, with only a single stadium over 50,000, who have never qualified for the world cup (not surprising when you have talent like this) where alcohol is illegal and the daily temperatures are around 106 during summer. Yeah, none of this screams "great venue" to me. Also some joker edited the team's wiki page to say 2006 Did Not Qualify; 2010 Did Not Qualify; 2014 Will Not Qualify; 2018 Will Not Qualify; 2022 Qualified"  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
WayAbvPar

Reply #84 on: December 02, 2010, 09:06:59 AM

Is there anyone on the planet more corrupt and incompetent as Sepp Blatter?

FUCK QATAR.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: December 02, 2010, 09:09:09 AM

Sure

Also

Is there anyone on the planet more corrupt and incompetent as Sepp Blatter?

FUCK QATAR.

This

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #86 on: December 02, 2010, 10:08:56 AM

I've given up on the World Cup. They show no desire to fix what's wrong with the system.

EDIT: You know what, the more I think about this. I'm actively rooting for the Qatar idea to fall flat on it's face, or for information to come out about bribes that jerks the games away from them. They turn down the US who set attendence records and has more major sporting stadiums than anyone in the world? They turn down England who boasts the one of the most rabid football populaces in the world?

Fuckers are worse than the BCS
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 08:41:49 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: December 03, 2010, 10:58:37 PM

So I was perusing the ESPN3 replay thing and saw this event on there. Decided to watch the announcement. All I could think of after he read off the winner of the first group was "I wonder how much Putin's cronies paid FIFA off for this?" Then the Qatar announcement came off and it was like..wtf.

I know the US and Japan/SK all recently hosted the cup, but come on.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #88 on: December 03, 2010, 11:02:47 PM

Teams should just boycott it. Why the hell would you play in 100+ degree heat with a target on your back.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #89 on: December 04, 2010, 04:51:15 AM

Teams should just boycott it. Why the hell would you play in 100+ degree heat with a target on your back.

Will Qatar still be around in 2022? I mean there is still time to set up an alternate site right?  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #90 on: December 04, 2010, 09:01:54 AM

But, but, they will have A/C there! That will solve everything!  Ohhhhh, I see.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: December 04, 2010, 09:17:46 AM

But they'll be playing in fabulous constructed "portable" stadiums with A/C and that will be deconstructed and rebuilt in developing nations. Win win win.

I originally thought of the illegality of alcohol but my army friends inform me that alcohol is legal in Qatar, at least when they spent time there. Other reports state that it's still illegal in public, part of the Sharia law fabric of society there.

I do wonder if the onerous grope and X-ray scan measures, along with tightening travel restrictions served as an impediment to awarding U.S.. Of course, anything can happen in 12 years…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: December 04, 2010, 12:24:49 PM

Hey the Stadium model and AC units model was designed in Ireland so you know it has the mark of quality!

*sobs*

Hic sunt dracones.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: December 04, 2010, 07:17:13 PM

There are unconfrimed reports that no one from CONCACAF voted for the US bid. that would include Chuck Blazer, US rep.

Even if he did it's pretty clear the other two did not.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: December 17, 2010, 03:30:45 PM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #95 on: December 17, 2010, 05:19:11 PM

Damnit, I miss Special1TV.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: December 17, 2010, 06:04:06 PM

um haem. it's on bbc 3 with weekly update on youtube for us yanks.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #97 on: December 17, 2010, 11:16:04 PM

Yeah, but it's not on Setanta Sports where I used to watch it.  Ohhhhh, I see.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #98 on: December 24, 2010, 08:43:16 AM

Six Months is Enough

So Inter Milan's lackluster form has caused Rafa Benitez to lose his job again. Or it could that he pulled mediocrity out of a championship team and then publicly bitched that he'd need to buy a lot of new players in January to win. Whatever. He's a cocksucker and I revel in his failure. Mourinho took that same core and won a goddamn treble, you arrogant fuck.

sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: December 26, 2010, 06:13:34 PM

Spurs should have Xanax as a sponsor, I swear to God.
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: December 27, 2010, 07:03:27 AM

Defoes' sending off was wrong, result was correct though.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #101 on: January 06, 2011, 09:33:28 AM

1 step forward, 3 retard's stumble steps backward for Liverpool. They played a good half against Bolton and probably didn't deserve to win that game at the weekend. But last night's performance against Blackburn was fucking awful. Awesomely awful. Joe Cole actually had a decent game. But the fucking defense was terribad. Skrtel looks completely fucking lost and Glenn Johnson has about one good defensive play in him per game. You can never tell these days what type of performance you'll get out of Torres. Maxi disappeared again and Lucas was useless as usual. I can't even pinpoint what the fuck is wrong with this team anymore. It's like they'll play their asses off for about 15 minutes, then totally switch off, looking completely disinterested in what they are doing. I'm even starting to doubt Hodgson - I mean, he can't seem to get this team to perform on a regular basis especially on the road. But shitcanning him may not do anything either, especially if his replacement is still stuck with the same bunch of donkey-legged fucktards like Skrtel. This team needs a serious overhaul. Either sell a bunch of players for less than market value and buy your ass off, or sell them off and play a shitload of youngsters like Martin Kelly and Pacheco. This team ain't qualifying for Europe as it is.

Also, LOL Chelsea.

WayAbvPar

Reply #102 on: January 06, 2011, 09:39:16 AM

Also, LOL Chelsea.

This, 100000000000x.  awesome, for real

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: January 07, 2011, 03:58:50 AM

1 step forward It's like they'll play their asses off for about 15 minutes, then totally switch off.

That would be the Steven Gerrard influence. If I supported Liverpool he would drive me nuts more than anyone, he looks brilliant when it comes off,  but 99% of the time his passing and shooting is clownshoes. Sure would be fine if he wasn't captain and your star player. The defensive performance against Blackburn was atrocious.

Only team deserving to win EPL this year would be Arsenal, United could stumble to victory with their worst midfield since McClair, Phelan (the latter being their current assistant manager).

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #104 on: January 07, 2011, 08:22:48 AM

I disagree with what you said about Gerrard. He's on more than he's off. Unfortunately, when he's off (or off the pitch), he's the entire axis of their attack and it's very rare that anyone takes up his slack.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010/11 Football (soccer)  
Jump to: