Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 31, 2024, 06:20:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Arche Age 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arche Age  (Read 307297 times)
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: July 06, 2014, 05:42:02 PM

You don't get 5000 labor per day. Right now in alpha they are giving double the normal labor regeneration rate. In release you will only get 2880 labor per day. That's only if you can stay logged in the entire 24 hours. A player that can only log in for 4 hours per day will only get around 1680 labor. I burned through 3500 labor last in about 40 minutes of mining.  
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #386 on: July 07, 2014, 02:24:53 AM

Honestly, this kind of info could kill the game for me before it's even released, and I *am* their target audience. I understand TRION can only do so much, but I really hope they'll find a way to turn this around.

I mean, the way you describe labour points they are exactly like energy and that kind of shit in Facebook games, am I wrong? Cause I don't want to even glance at a game with such a mechanic.

Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #387 on: July 07, 2014, 02:35:59 AM

If I don't want to personally touch crafting in the slightest, I don't have to, right?
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: July 07, 2014, 03:42:10 AM

If I don't want to personally touch crafting in the slightest, I don't have to, right?

You will have to do something to generate gold at some point. PVE does not pay very well unless you get lucky with drops. A mob kill gives very little money. Instead you get a "coin purse" every few kills. There are 5 grades of coin purses i think (1 labor point to open the lowest and 5 for the highest) one. The low level one gave about 3-5 siver before the patch and the highest one gave around 30 - 35 silver. After the patch they drop a little more frequently (like 1 in 3 instead of 1 in 5) but they max out at like 4-7 silver for the top end coin purse.  They also added some sort of chest drop (at least on the hard to kill mobs in diamond shore) thats like a 1 in 30 drop that gives around 2 gold for 100 labor.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:59:51 AM by LC »
Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: July 07, 2014, 03:57:44 AM

It's not that bad Falc. The mechanic is labour points generated by time but unless all you want to do is craft there's lots to do when you have no labour. I almost never run out and I mine/farm/craft a moderate amount. If all you want to do is craft then yeah you're going to run out of labour really fast.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #390 on: July 07, 2014, 04:00:48 AM

Once you run out of labor the only activity to do is PvP. Everything else costs labor. You can PvE but every drop I've gotten after the patch requires labor to "open" before it can be sold or used.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:03:44 AM by LC »
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #391 on: July 07, 2014, 04:25:55 AM

Once you run out of labor the only activity to do is PvP. Everything else costs labor. You can PvE but every drop I've gotten after the patch requires labor to "open" before it can be sold or used.

Just want to highlight this. Since the patch, mobs very rarely drop loot directly. Instead, they drop a "coinpurse" which contains the loot, but it costs labour to open this coinpurse.... You can run out of labour just farming mobs and opening coin purses.

Other things are affected too. For example, the only way to get the plans needed to make boats or houses is by transporting trade goods over the ocean (NPC traders give you a special currency needed to buy the plans). That's cool because going on a voyage with your friends is fun - but you need labour points to do it. In a sense this is "crafting" because you craft the trade packs, but it's not like other games where crafting is just for people who enjoy making swords.

There are certain mounts and battle pets in the game that you can only obtain by breeding livestock, which takes labour points.

A mechanism has gone in to the game to allow you to upgrade weapons and armour, which is cool. But it takes labour points.

And then there's traditional MMO crafting too, which some people enjoy - mining, making armour and so on. But you can use up your labour points just grinding mobs in a group and opening coin purses so tough luck if you want to do this.

Note that you have a maximum 5,000 labour points which regenerate over time, but that doesn't mean you have 5,000 every time you log in. They take longer than a day to regenerate.

Where the labour costs might have no impact on you is when you are levelling. You can do the quests to get from 1 to 50 happily enough, but that's more of an introduction to the game than anything else.

Honestly, this kind of info could kill the game for me before it's even released, and I *am* their target audience. I understand TRION can only do so much, but I really hope they'll find a way to turn this around.

I mean, the way you describe labour points they are exactly like energy and that kind of shit in Facebook games, am I wrong? Cause I don't want to even glance at a game with such a mechanic.

Pre-patch, labour points were not a problem because the amount of points required to do stuff was much lower. So they did act to limit your activities, but you had to be a really dedicated crafter (or gatherer) to use them all up and it was actually quite a cool mechanic as you had to think a bit about how to use them (also, before the patch, mobs dropped loot directly and didn't just drop loads of coin purses). What's changed is that you can now run out of points very quickly.

There are two possibilities here. i) Trion rebalances this or ii) the idea is to sell "labor point restore potions" in the cash-shop. This may sound like scaremongering but actually it's what's happened in other regions.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: July 07, 2014, 05:27:59 AM

ii) the idea is to sell "labor point restore potions" in the cash-shop. This may sound like scaremongering but actually it's what's happened in other regions.

It's not scaremongering because they have already confirmed that they are selling labor potions in the cash shop.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #393 on: July 07, 2014, 09:49:01 AM

Just want to highlight this. Since the patch, mobs very rarely drop loot directly. Instead, they drop a "coinpurse" which contains the loot, but it costs labour to open this coinpurse.... You can run out of labour just farming mobs and opening coin purses.

I love PVP, but this part sounds like a continual dick punch.

WayAbvPar

Reply #394 on: July 07, 2014, 09:53:53 AM

Ugh.

OTOH, it will make being a casual player more inviting. What, out of labor? Time to fuck off to another game.

And then one of those times it will be permanent.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: July 07, 2014, 09:59:03 AM

This is not a game for a casual player. Unless you love getting your dick punched, as Haemish said.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: July 07, 2014, 12:37:04 PM

Depends, do you mean casual as someone who avoids all PVP?
WayAbvPar

Reply #397 on: July 07, 2014, 12:50:03 PM

I mean someone who only plays an hour or two a day.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: July 07, 2014, 12:59:44 PM

Is there a subscription option for infinite labor? Also is this game full on PVP or are there safe zones? Specifically I don't want to be crafting and get ganked.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #399 on: July 07, 2014, 01:14:44 PM

I mean someone who only plays an hour or two a day.

Depends on what you want to do in the game. Do you want to carebear and build homes and farm? You can do that. You can run trade routes for gold in all the safe areas, then use the gold from those and your farm to buy plans on the AH for houses/ships/etc. that are bought from gilda stars.

I have no idea how it'll take, but it's easily doable assuming you aren't on a ghosttown of a server.

Outside that, you can get into PVP skirmishes on land or a boat if PVP is your thing. There are dungeons and shit too that I think can be done.

LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: July 07, 2014, 04:40:19 PM

Is there a subscription option for infinite labor? Also is this game full on PVP or are there safe zones? Specifically I don't want to be crafting and get ganked.

I think we are mostly talking about subscribers. Free players don't get to own land and their labor only regens when they are online. They get 5 LP per 5 minutes they are logged in, or 1 LP per minute. So 4 hours of game time will get you just enough mine 24  mining nodes or open 2.4 of the chests that drop during pve.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #401 on: July 07, 2014, 04:56:55 PM

I think we are mostly talking about subscribers. Free players don't get to own land and their labor only regens when they are online. They get 5 LP per 5 minutes they are logged in, or 1 LP per minute. So 4 hours of game time will get you just enough mine 24  mining nodes or open 2.4 of the chests that drop during pve.

I'm just sort of skimming this thread because my brother pointed me at this game based on my love of Minethings and it sounded interesting.  It sounds like they've completely missed the positive part of "labor points" (energy points, whatever) if you only regenerate them while logged in.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #402 on: July 07, 2014, 05:21:41 PM

Oh so the labor rates you were posting are for subscribers? That's...kind of awful.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #403 on: July 07, 2014, 05:33:19 PM

headache

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: July 07, 2014, 05:36:46 PM

Hopefully Trion will alter that to be more friendly to a western audience, otherwise that pretty much kill any interest I had in the game.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #405 on: July 07, 2014, 05:53:48 PM

I'm just sort of skimming this thread because my brother pointed me at this game based on my love of Minethings and it sounded interesting.  It sounds like they've completely missed the positive part of "labor points" (energy points, whatever) if you only regenerate them while logged in.

I think they were originally intended to keep players from building 10 farms and flooding the market with cheap materials. Now they just seem to be bait for wallet fishing.
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: July 08, 2014, 03:43:37 AM

Labour points do regenerate when you are offline too, but at half the speed.

I should say that it's *possible* Trion will fix this. While they can't modify the game themselves, they do seem to be able to get XL Games to make special North American patches for them. And while we don't have a release date for the game yet, it looks like it won't be out for at least a couple of months. So perhaps it's too soon to write off the game entirely! Or perhaps I'm being wildly optimistic.

Labor points worked as a mechanism before the patch, when 90% of players could do what they wanted (and most of us are pretty hardcore, remember most alpha players paid $150 to get in) and never run out. In the past, labor became an issue if you were trying to build a large house or large boat - which you don't do often - and you'd have to either build it over a period of a couple of days or ask friends to help you build it, but that actually added to the game. Alternatively, you had to really do nothing but crafting or gathering for hours on end to be in danger of running out.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: July 08, 2014, 08:06:44 AM

You will have to do something to generate gold at some point. PVE does not pay very well unless you get lucky with drops. A mob kill gives very little money. Instead you get a "coin purse" every few kills. There are 5 grades of coin purses i think (1 labor point to open the lowest and 5 for the highest) one. The low level one gave about 3-5 siver before the patch and the highest one gave around 30 - 35 silver. After the patch they drop a little more frequently (like 1 in 3 instead of 1 in 5) but they max out at like 4-7 silver for the top end coin purse.  They also added some sort of chest drop (at least on the hard to kill mobs in diamond shore) thats like a 1 in 30 drop that gives around 2 gold for 100 labor.  

For gold, I'm happy to just PayPal some farmer and get what I need assuming the prices aren't exorbitant. I just want to get my gear PvP-competitive and not think about it again.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:42 AM

I don't know about 1.2 but labor is never an issue unless you really try hard to spend it.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: July 08, 2014, 11:23:45 AM

I don't know about 1.2 but labor is never an issue unless you really try hard to spend it.

Donny, you're out of your element.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #410 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:03 PM

I think I found the problem.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #411 on: July 08, 2014, 03:01:17 PM

So 4 hours of game time will get you just enough mine 24  mining nodes or open 2.4 of the chests that drop during pve.

Ok, so fuck that.

Njal
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: July 08, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

So 4 hours of game time will get you just enough mine 24  mining nodes or open 2.4 of the chests that drop during pve.

Ok, so fuck that.

Dunno where he gets that from the most I've seen a pouch cost is 15 and that was in an instance. Most cost 5 labour and labour does regen offline, even for non subscribers.
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: July 08, 2014, 05:46:41 PM

The boxes you get in Diamond Shores (highest level mobs in game) cost 100 labor to open. If you want to go up there I can portal you on alpha.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #414 on: July 08, 2014, 08:04:15 PM

This whole labor point thing is retarded.

Regardless of how likely you are to actually spend all your labor points or not, it still means every action you do in the game (even looting apparently lol) you have to question if it's worth doing that action to spend labor points.  And if you spend labor points on a chest and it gives you shit you are going to be pissed.

It's a whole system that forces you to micromanage and pull you out of the game, which is just failboat written all over it.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #415 on: July 09, 2014, 12:22:44 AM

I bet you can buy china labor to open your pouches for you.  why so serious?
Standing afk just to open pouches. FFS. 2014 MMO.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: July 09, 2014, 01:07:54 AM

The price of china farmer gold has doubled since 1.2 patch. Before the patch 100g was $10 - $12, now its $20 - $25 per 100g.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #417 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:42 AM

While this is an immense bummer, as Archeage is the only MMORPG I was looking forward to, I am happy that for once they screwed it before I could even buy it, instead of getting me hooked to the game and mutate it into a tentacle money-greedy monster while I am at it.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: July 09, 2014, 07:34:38 AM

While this is an immense bummer, as Archeage is the only MMORPG I was looking forward to, I am happy that for once they screwed it before I could even buy it, instead of getting me hooked to the game and mutate it into a tentacle money-greedy monster while I am at it.

Yes.

I am talked out of most MMOs these days by the time they actually get to market because of idiotic design choices.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: July 09, 2014, 09:48:49 AM

Out of curiosity, what other games specifically have actually mutated like that after release (in a given market)? That Russian one that was still in beta outside Russia when it went full-bore greedy grabby is the closest I can think of.

No offense, but I think you are better known for your joyful exuberance than for rational analysis (much less cynical deconstruction) during the early stages of a game. Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Arche Age  
Jump to: