Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 02:09:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II  (Read 295665 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #525 on: August 17, 2010, 06:12:25 PM

In any event, I've been making a lot of mistakes myself today, but at least I'm to the point where I'm noticing what they are.  I'm not losing and thinking "well fuck, I don't know what I could've done."

I'm sort of drifting in and out of this thread, but didn't you say about a page back that you'd uninstalled and were done with this game forever?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: August 17, 2010, 07:08:01 PM

In any event, I've been making a lot of mistakes myself today, but at least I'm to the point where I'm noticing what they are.  I'm not losing and thinking "well fuck, I don't know what I could've done."

I'm sort of drifting in and out of this thread, but didn't you say about a page back that you'd uninstalled and were done with this game forever?

Yeah and then 2 posts later was like "Yeah.. I'll be back and I'm just raging right now" and deleted my other post because I didn't what to shit up the thread.   I've switched away from playing random since then and the game has been SO much better since.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: August 17, 2010, 08:02:08 PM

I'm seeing nothing but cheese now, especially against Protoss.  Cannon Rush,  2 Gate Stalkers, etc. 

On the plus side, I'm getting better at IDing and beating cheese, but I feel like Blizz kinda screwed up on this one.  The game shouldn't be about cheese as much as it is.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #528 on: August 17, 2010, 08:04:28 PM

I get the cannon rush part, but how is 2-gate stalkers cheese? Seems like a legit rush. That would be like raging against 2-rax marauders, right?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: August 17, 2010, 08:05:18 PM

I get the cannon rush part, but how is 2-gate stalkers cheese? Seems like a legit rush. That would be like raging against 2-rax marauders, right?

Because it's a guaranteed loss if the initial rush doesn't work.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #530 on: August 17, 2010, 08:10:41 PM

Because it's a guaranteed loss if the initial rush doesn't work.

swamp poop

-Rasix
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: August 17, 2010, 08:19:46 PM

Maybe it's a one gate.  I don't know.

All I know is that Zealots start showing up when I have 1 supply and 1 Barracks out and I usually die. 

I'm doing

10 Supply
12 Barrracks
13 gas.

And I'm already under Zealot attack and I'm losing more than I'm fighting it off.  When I do fight it off, I win.

So you tell me, what am I doing wrong?

Rasix

Reply #532 on: August 17, 2010, 08:22:45 PM

Post a replay.

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: August 17, 2010, 08:38:09 PM

Maybe it's a one gate.  I don't know.

All I know is that Zealots start showing up when I have 1 supply and 1 Barracks out and I usually die.  

I'm doing

10 Supply
12 Barrracks
13 gas.

And I'm already under Zealot attack and I'm losing more than I'm fighting it off.  When I do fight it off, I win.

So you tell me, what am I doing wrong?

Well 2 gate zealots is a lot different than 2 gate stalkers.  One is an all in, the other is a moderately early pressure into robo or stargate build.  

Also, cheese is a LOT more viable at lower levels than it is at higher levels (though its still somewhat viable later).  Newer players are much more susceptible to surprise, you aren't as familiar with the timings, and most often pure army size wins.    If I see some sort of 8 or 9 gate zealot rush coming I plop down a gateway immediately and depending on the map might throw down an extra pylon or even another building to totally wall off.  If they are going this, its ALL IN, all you need to do is tough it out to win, and you can lose a bit and still tough it out.  Time is their enemy, so just delay them.  You can often actually get away with getting a super early stalker out about the time 3-4 zealots are coming into your base, and start chronoboosting out a second one immediately.  With no charge upgrade your 2 stalkers sill kill pretty much any number of zealots if you micro them, and meanwhile you can keep pumping out more of them and eventually over whelm them, push out, kill the proxy, and win.  

As Terran if you see it coming FINISH YOUR WALL RIGHT AWAY, and bring over 3-4 scvs to repair your wall while marines build.  Then, shoot the zealots in the face.  The key of course is seeing it coming, and since these kind of all in rushes are really only viable on the small 1v1 maps, you can send out a very early scout if you are worried about it just wen playing those maps.

Of course, knowing its coming is the key to all of this, if the first time you suspect all in cheese is when its in your base, you actually lost the game 2 minutes ago.

EDIT: One last thing about why its more popular at lower levels generally:  Its takes less APM, less awareness, and less skill in general to pull off early cheese than it does to defend early cheese.  Most anyone has the APM to build 2 proxy gateways and spam out zealots, however it takes more to defend it.  However, a bronze level player who practices 2gating every game is going isn't going to be appreciably worse at it than a diamond player in terms of the timing.   Meanwhile, a diamond player defending it is going to be signficantly more likely to be able to deal with it than the bronze defender.   In other words: The meta game really isn't the same across all leagues.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:59:31 PM by Malakili »
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #534 on: August 17, 2010, 08:56:44 PM

I didn't save it.  I'll save the next one.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: August 17, 2010, 09:04:11 PM

I didn't save it.  I'll save the next one.

You're replays wil be saved by Battle.net (maybe indefinitely, maybe for a little while? I'm not sure), but as long as you played the game somewhat recently, it'll be there, and you can stil save it to your local drive.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: August 17, 2010, 09:19:44 PM

First thing I noticed is that I did double Barracks in order to pump out more Marines and still lost.

Rasix

Reply #537 on: August 17, 2010, 10:09:00 PM

The first thing I noticed is that you didn't scout and messed up your wall in.  One bunker or a non-botched wall-in shuts that down with at most 2 marines.  Your double barracks came after your ass was already toast.  

Your timing on everything just looked off (a lot of money doing nothing that early isn't good and a mistake I tend to make also)and your first marine was a little delayed.   The probe nearly sniping your SCV seemed to throw you off a lot.  

It was a cheeseyrush two gate that you didn't handle well.  It happens.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 10:11:33 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #538 on: August 17, 2010, 10:58:02 PM

zerg harassment: BANELING BOMBERS  ACK!

load up 4 banelings in an overlord - drop 2 on the left side and 2 on the right side of the worker line. POW. no workers.

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: August 17, 2010, 11:18:40 PM

IEM Starting today

More info in linky, there's plenty of streaming starting at ~15CET

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: August 18, 2010, 02:19:18 AM

awesome, for real

Nothing boring about the Nydus.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: August 18, 2010, 05:11:12 AM

This is getting so meta. Apparently everyone's now wised up to the medevac drop and builds defences against it. So what to do instead? Why, go 3 rax and go knocking on their front door. Goddamn Zerg and their Infestors though. I had no idea how to counter them.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: August 18, 2010, 05:33:32 AM

zerg harassment: BANELING BOMBERS  ACK!

load up 4 banelings in an overlord - drop 2 on the left side and 2 on the right side of the worker line. POW. no workers.

I remember seeing some really sweet zerg saturation bombing in...I think it wast the HDH but I can't remember who did it.  It was brilliant and I think more zerg players should try it.  You can even do it mid battle if your micro is up to it, and bomb the crap out of those pesky terran.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: August 18, 2010, 05:34:26 AM

This is getting so meta. Apparently everyone's now wised up to the medevac drop and builds defences against it. So what to do instead? Why, go 3 rax and go knocking on their front door. Goddamn Zerg and their Infestors though. I had no idea how to counter them.

What ability are you trying to counter?

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: August 18, 2010, 06:16:43 AM

The one where they shoot a gazillion infested marines at me.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: August 18, 2010, 06:22:58 AM

The one where they shoot a gazillion infested marines at me.

Infestors are made of paper, kill them.   If they do the infested marines spam and you can't dela with it, run away, they only last a little while and then the infestors are out of energy.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: August 18, 2010, 06:35:05 AM

Ohh, I thought they were permanent units. Not so scary anymore.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: August 18, 2010, 07:33:14 AM

Infested terrans are effectively immobile.

Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: August 18, 2010, 08:19:59 AM

everyone should watch WhiteRa vs TLO Game 2 from Group A of the IEM. Awesomest release game yet.

Rasix

Reply #549 on: August 18, 2010, 08:25:02 AM

everyone should watch WhiteRa vs TLO Game 2 from Group A of the IEM. Awesomest release game yet.

Is there VOD of it out there?  Yes, I'm being lazy.   

Better question: has WhiteRa managed to pull his head out of his ass yet?

-Rasix
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: August 18, 2010, 08:25:27 AM

When do replays go up? Livestream feed kinda sucks.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: August 18, 2010, 08:27:01 AM

Any link?

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: August 18, 2010, 08:30:41 AM

IEM Starting today

More info in linky, there's plenty of streaming starting at ~15CET

Goes to two feeds.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: August 18, 2010, 08:35:44 AM

there will be vods after, I think.

Madfrog vs TLO now, there will prolly be spoilers in commentary though. dApollo is doing a very decent job complementing Day9.

Rasix - Kinda, but no :)

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: August 18, 2010, 08:56:43 AM

Ah cheers, could we spoiler win/loss discussion too please?

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #555 on: August 18, 2010, 06:38:21 PM

Gotta watch till the very end (don't skip ahead on the last video).

HD Starcraft 2 TT1 v MasterAsia

1/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEV9niTmeOU

2/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aLBqeKd_lk

3/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_w7sh6NWY

4/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOY2ve7zHb4
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: August 18, 2010, 08:03:10 PM

Gotta watch till the very end (don't skip ahead on the last video).

HD Starcraft 2 TT1 v MasterAsia

1/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEV9niTmeOU

2/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aLBqeKd_lk

3/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww_w7sh6NWY

4/4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOY2ve7zHb4

That is goddamned hilarious, especially the last minute.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: August 18, 2010, 08:20:37 PM

I think the most interesting thing is the prospect of draw scenarios.  That was basically a draw, but they just decided to make it not a draw because it was a ladder game that didn't really matter in the long run.  I wonder how something like that plays out if a few thousand bucks is on the line.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #558 on: August 18, 2010, 11:10:20 PM

Blerg. Got posted to Gold and was running wild. Got bumped up to Platinum after just 10 games and am now getting curb stomped.  Can't seem to get units out fast enough so I definitely know where my game is falling down. I think I am going for multiple upgrades too early instead of getting units pumped out.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

Reply #559 on: August 18, 2010, 11:33:24 PM

Blerg. Got posted to Gold and was running wild. Got bumped up to Platinum after just 10 games and am now getting curb stomped.  Can't seem to get units out fast enough so I definitely know where my game is falling down. I think I am going for multiple upgrades too early instead of getting units pumped out.

Better than getting bumped from Silver to Plat. The ass kicking I've been receiving is just humbling.  Of course, that's resulted in less practicing, which has resulted in more ass kicking. 

/looks at his PS2 backlog.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 50 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II  
Jump to: