Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:34:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II  (Read 291449 times)
Luxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: July 28, 2010, 02:07:56 PM

Up and running annndd....no support for my resolution it looks like.   Heartbreak Have to play it like everyone else on one monitor.
Apparently playing it on anything wider than 1920*1200 is cheating or something according to a blue forum post. I fail to see how that works in single player
It works at 2560 x 1440 and I would assume it works at 2560 x 1600 too. It doesn't work at less than 1024 x 720.

Yeah but it doesnt work at 5760*1200 as that would make me some sort of mustache-twirling uber cheat. I assume it's going to work at most 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #71 on: July 28, 2010, 02:25:02 PM

Skimmed thread.  I gather the plot sucks but the game is passable.  Buy?

I got it for free, so my view is skewed. Still, if you like multiplayer at all, cinematics with good flavor, cool music, good options, achievements, shitton of polish, yadda yadda. Buy it. If you are looking for a whole bunch of changes in the gameplay, that ain't there. It's faster and prettier.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #72 on: July 28, 2010, 02:34:38 PM

It's well done.  Single player RTS is a bit lame, but it's a good diversion before I go crazy on the multiplayer. 

I'll let all of the psychos grind out their placement matches first.  I don't care where I get placed though, really.  Which is good, since this single player part is teaching me all of the wrong hotkeys.

-Rasix
schpain
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 03:39:28 PM

Forgiving the immersion breakers I'm loving the feel of the campaign. About 15 missions in by now and the story has opened up nicely. The extra units and map effects make me excited because the community will create some amazing content (omg dota 2.0)

*Should be working*
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: July 28, 2010, 03:57:52 PM

I don't know if constantly being shut in a mech suit could be called the least offensive part of his background. He would have to smell like old shrimp stuffed with bad cheese.

Rash and hygeine issues. The dude would probably get some kind of infection and be sick all the time.

Maybe the crotch comes off so he can shit, and they just hose his ass down once a week.  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #75 on: July 28, 2010, 04:09:08 PM

Maybe they attach hose to top of the suit once a week and rinse the insides down or something.

On the other hand, who is to say the other Terrans bathe any more often Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: July 28, 2010, 04:33:14 PM

Does anyone know if the game passes are region-locked?

The single player is good fun, and there's more than just the campaign. I'm satisfied with it, and like Rasix I'm just letting BNet settle down a bit before I place and start doing multiplayer.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #77 on: July 28, 2010, 10:36:40 PM

I expect to not bother with MP.  I will pick it up eventually.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: July 29, 2010, 04:40:39 AM

Done, there are some pretty cool missions down the road. Did it all on normal, I'll go back now to get the kerrigan portrait (all on brutal). Took me about, I don't know - 12-13 hours, I was rushing through it anyway. Story was cool to me, but unless you were 14 when the original starcraft came out and you have some serious nostalgia going on don't get it for the story :)

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: July 29, 2010, 05:42:34 AM

Mission achievements are addicting. Damnit. I just last night thought of a way to get the red lobster one in a really messy manner.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: July 29, 2010, 05:58:08 AM

It runs at 2560 x 1600. Even with a GTX-295 I had to drop the settings to medium to get the screen to pan smoothly. But it still ooks good.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: July 29, 2010, 06:15:11 AM

god. Brutal is... well... brutal :) Almost failed the third mission  ACK!

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #82 on: July 29, 2010, 07:18:04 AM

Got it last night. Digital download, because F physical media.

I'm finding brutal about the right difficulty. Am maybe 9 missions in. I just finished the floor is lava one. I'm doing it once on brutal and then immediately again on hard to get any achievements I missed. Medic+Marine has seen me through everything so far and I expect it, along with viking+siege tank, to take me through the entire game.

Medics are incredibly awesome and it's a crime that the entire single player game is based around it; people are going to be bitter as hell when they play multiplayer and don't have them. They even automatically move out of fire if they're being attacked!

Mercs seem pretty useless, I forget I have them. I've upgraded medic, marine, and golliath so far but still have 200k banked for things that come next.
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: July 29, 2010, 07:36:44 AM

Some of the mercs are useful just due to the instant build times. They make for useful "huh, I need 3 vikings like.. Now" counters.

edit: the other hard achievement I was having issues with was The Best Offense, which I think just requires me to be WAY more aggressive than I normally am, combined with a lot of base micro to tell my idiot marines to kill roaches first.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:08:09 AM by kildorn »
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: July 29, 2010, 09:45:59 AM

Yegolev, if you're not interested in the MP, do what I'm doing and wait for them to kick the two expansions out first, and get the cheaper battlechest version a few months after that you know will be coming with all 3.
Register
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: July 29, 2010, 10:05:22 AM

Yegolev, if you're not interested in the MP, do what I'm doing and wait for them to kick the two expansions out first, and get the cheaper battlechest version a few months after that you know will be coming with all 3.

Will be a good 3-4 years wait though. Hope you are moderately patient.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: July 29, 2010, 10:13:22 AM

It's taken them just shy of 12 years to get the sequel out.  I think I can wait a few more at this point pretty easily, especially since the multiplayer doesn't really do anything for me anymore.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #87 on: July 29, 2010, 11:10:08 AM

Weren't you just saying you need more 20 hour games?  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: July 29, 2010, 11:13:27 AM

RPGs.  And it's because I'm mired in 40+ hour ones right now.  None of which is Starcraft.  My point here was mostly that if you're (and by you're, I mean Yegolev) only interested in the single player campaign, you might as well wait for all 3 to come out, and get the slightly discounted package that past blizzard history has shown will be coming.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:15:56 AM by Ard »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #89 on: July 29, 2010, 11:29:54 AM

Are there any efficient counters that don't require lots of micro to massed Void Rays?
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 29, 2010, 11:33:34 AM

Are there any efficient counters that don't require lots of micro to massed Void Rays?

Even with micro, they're a pain in my ass (campaign at least)

Stalled at mission 7 for trying the hard achievements. Mass void rays sitting behind cannon emplacements and required rushing to make the achievement, woo!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 29, 2010, 11:34:50 AM

Walked into a Gameshop today and they already had "buy 2 Get 3" stickers on them  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'll probably  buy it eventually when I don't have to pay full price 3 times for the 3 campaigns.

Hic sunt dracones.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: July 29, 2010, 11:38:12 AM

Vikings do good in big numbers, just single target the voidrays - press shift and spam right click :)

'specially in the campaign. Vikings are ridiculous - 11 range and splash  ACK!

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #93 on: July 29, 2010, 11:40:40 AM

Is there a way to hide my status from other people on the SC II Battle.net? I.e. somebody has added me as a friend but I don't want them to see if I'm online/away/available, etc.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: July 29, 2010, 11:51:42 AM

Based on watching tournament matches mass marines can do well, especially if you can take them out before too many get fully charged. Alternatively just keep sending wave after wave of infantry at them.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: July 29, 2010, 11:59:32 AM

EMP?
Rasix

Reply #96 on: July 29, 2010, 12:15:06 PM

Like Wolf said, you can upgrade your vikings into ridiculous killing machines.

-Rasix
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #97 on: July 29, 2010, 12:58:17 PM

Does the physical copy come with a cool instruction/story manual, or anything else?  I'm tempted to hold off and buy a physical copy just for nostalgia sakes (I've got my physical CD's of every Blizzard game made so far) since I can just register the key and download it online anyways.  However, if all your getting is a CD and a cheap instruction manual with no cool artwork or anything, guess I shouldn't bother.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #98 on: July 29, 2010, 01:00:25 PM

The CE comes with lots of cool stuff, the regular edition does not.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: July 29, 2010, 01:08:24 PM

Does the physical copy come with a cool instruction/story manual, or anything else?  I'm tempted to hold off and buy a physical copy just for nostalgia sakes (I've got my physical CD's of every Blizzard game made so far) since I can just register the key and download it online anyways.  However, if all your getting is a CD and a cheap instruction manual with no cool artwork or anything, guess I shouldn't bother.

Regular edition has a manual in the box (9 pages of back story, 2 on how to play the game and no keyboard reference), cardboard dvd sleeve, box front folds out twice to a four time the size game highlights and a few time limited buddy cards.

The manual stood out as completely shoddy for the lack of any information on how to play the game vs covering the whole game buildup which is redone by the installer and cut-scenes.
Rasix

Reply #100 on: July 29, 2010, 01:10:30 PM

Btw, post your character name + numerical code here if you'd like to friend up with other f13 people.  This isn't the Read ID nonsense, so don't be timid.

-Rasix
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: July 29, 2010, 01:10:52 PM

Does the physical copy come with a cool instruction/story manual, or anything else?  I'm tempted to hold off and buy a physical copy just for nostalgia sakes (I've got my physical CD's of every Blizzard game made so far) since I can just register the key and download it online anyways.  However, if all your getting is a CD and a cheap instruction manual with no cool artwork or anything, guess I shouldn't bother.

Off the top of my head, here's a run down of list of things in the CE:

2gb Flash drive with SC1 & Brood Wars (the drive itself is awesome, it's in the form of Raynor's dog tags. The only downside is that it's a small capacity. Art Book
Soundtrack
Game DVD
A 'Making of..' DvD
A SC2 Comic
Some bnet exclusives, avatars etc.
Game trial passes for WoW and SC2 (2 each)

Additionally, I found a $20 off coupon and free shipping coupon, that were able to be used together, for gamestop.com (only reason I ordered there, since CE for $80 is okay and was cheaper than Amazon when I ordered) and the package came with a code for 20% off EVGA products. That EVGA part may not sound that great, but I was thinking of picking up a gtx 480 and this drops that price from $500 down to $400 ($370 after mail in rebate). The CE has now paid for itself and then some.

Though, even without that EVGA code, I'd still have only paid $20 more (due to coupon codes) than a regular edition and would still be happy with this purchase

The regular edition, as Trippy states, does not come with cool stuff.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: July 29, 2010, 01:12:12 PM

2gb Flash drive with SC1 & Brood Wars (the drive itself is awesome, it's in the form of Raynor's dog tags. The only downside is that it's a small capacity.

You forgot the major feature when you plug it in, it glows  awesome, for real
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #103 on: July 29, 2010, 01:13:23 PM

Will be a good 3-4 years wait though. Hope you are moderately patient.

I am not patient, really, however I spend all my time working right now.  I'll take Ard's suggestion since I am sure I can buy The StarCraft Chest at any store for the next ten years.  Some people are patient, others have patience thrust upon them.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: July 29, 2010, 01:17:46 PM

2gb Flash drive with SC1 & Brood Wars (the drive itself is awesome, it's in the form of Raynor's dog tags. The only downside is that it's a small capacity.

You forgot the major feature when you plug it in, it glows  awesome, for real

True, my bad. It is even more awesome than I described.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II  
Jump to: