Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:38:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50 Go Down Print
Author Topic: StarCraft II  (Read 293810 times)
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: July 31, 2010, 12:09:46 AM

I'm having some serious graphical issues.  Game freezes every few minutes for about 10-20m seconds.  This occurs during gameplay and cut scenes.  Windows 7 is updated, I downloaded latest drivers and followed the advice in the Game Informer article mentioned earlier.  Probably going to shelve this until I can find out how to fix it.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #141 on: July 31, 2010, 07:11:04 AM

I'm having some serious graphical issues.  Game freezes every few minutes for about 10-20m seconds.  This occurs during gameplay and cut scenes.  Windows 7 is updated, I downloaded latest drivers and followed the advice in the Game Informer article mentioned earlier.  Probably going to shelve this until I can find out how to fix it.

You could try defragging your HD, and putting all the settings on low. Beyond that, no real suggestions :(
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #142 on: July 31, 2010, 10:57:41 AM

It's funny that the expert challenges are the easiest ones by far.

-Rasix
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: July 31, 2010, 01:27:06 PM

One other thing Starcraft brings is three races that play very differently, and yet are relativley balanced. Most other RTSes have units that are simply reskins of identical units.

Starcraft 1 brought that, which at the time was pretty amazing. A decade later the same 3 races with the same mechanics is substantially less amazing. Dawn of War has 10 or 12 relatively balanced races with unique units and some unique mechanics.

I honestly believe that Starcraft 2 will be largely forgotten by history and quickly fall off of "best of" lists. It's basically SC1 with a graphical upgrade and some UI improvements. It's going to get high review scores because of the way reviews work - for hyped games the score starts at 100 and then points are subtracted for "objective" flaws. SC2 has very few objective flaws like low production values or technical issues. Reviewers will rarely dock "major" games for being rehashes, though they'll rip into minor releases for the same thing. The fact that the game is samey and uninspired isn't going to hurt its metacritic. But where it will hurt is when people look back and remember how awesome SC1 was and how comparatively tame SC2 was.

Bah humbug I say!

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: July 31, 2010, 02:13:10 PM

Are you playing it?  Do you like it?  I still haven't bought it and I'm on the fence of whether to buy it soon, or just let it sit for awhile.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #145 on: July 31, 2010, 04:34:48 PM

I'm playing it, I like it. The campaign (novelty lore aside) is well done and offers a variety of missions with different paces, settings, challenges and difficultes. The challenge modes are fun and add a new type of gameplay, and I hope they add more of these in the future. Multiplayer, despite the doomcrying, is incredibly well balanced and runs well. There's also the whole other world of custom maps, and given the track record with WC3, it is likely that there will be plenty of interesting avenues of novel gameplay that will emerge there over time. Like all Blizzard products, it is incredibly well polished and well done. When you have a fun format that works well there's really no need to reinvent the wheel. The argument that it is just Starcraft with new graphics is fairly poor, you could make the same (flawed) case about plenty of games, such as Doom 2 or the Civilisation series, or pretty much any Nintendo game. The reality is that SC2 is a complete rebuild of the original that preserves a lot of what worked and made Starcraft and interesting and fun game, while adding a lot more. Ultimately it's good fun, it offers content in manageable chunks and it's worth playing. Imho.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: July 31, 2010, 04:54:15 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #147 on: July 31, 2010, 06:06:11 PM

I swear the voice of that lab rat guy, Stettman, is the voice of the nerdy kid main character (Kevin) from the Adult Swim cartoon Mission Hill. Everytime I hear him all I can picture is that gawky kid doing his nerd squawk.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #148 on: July 31, 2010, 07:57:16 PM

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #149 on: July 31, 2010, 10:50:18 PM

Avoiding all the news and discussions during blizzard's long production cycle might have come back to haunt me.  I'm starting to get the feeling that I don't get to play as the zerg or protoss.  I don't, do I?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: July 31, 2010, 10:54:25 PM

You do for the low low price of $120 more.  awesome, for real

There is a small Protoss mini-campaign. No zerg.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rasix

Reply #151 on: July 31, 2010, 11:32:59 PM

Avoiding all the news and discussions during blizzard's long production cycle might have come back to haunt me.  I'm starting to get the feeling that I don't get to play as the zerg or protoss.  I don't, do I?

Multiplayer, vs. AI, challenges, and a brief portion of the campaign (protoss, as mentioned).

-Rasix
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: July 31, 2010, 11:39:28 PM

I read a post like K9's and I think I want to buy it.  I read a post like Margalis' and I don't want to buy it anymore.  Gah.  How about co-op vs. AI, anyone playing that?  Can the AI put up a good/fun fight?
Rasix

Reply #153 on: July 31, 2010, 11:47:29 PM

Why would you take the word of someone that's just trolling the thread over someone that's actually playing and enjoying the game?

-Rasix
lesion

Reply #154 on: August 01, 2010, 12:09:11 AM

I swear the voice of that lab rat guy, Stettman, is the voice of the nerdy kid main character (Kevin) from the Adult Swim cartoon Mission Hill.
You got it. It's Scott Menville.

steam|a grue \[T]/
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #155 on: August 01, 2010, 12:26:43 AM

I've got the game and I'm enjoying it. Jim Raynor must have spent the entire game development time working out though. I don't remember him being a super-mutant in Starcraft 1.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #156 on: August 01, 2010, 12:53:55 AM

Why would you take the word of someone that's just trolling the thread over someone that's actually playing and enjoying the game?

So now giving your opinion of the game is "trolling." Blizzard fanboys are too funny.

I read a post like K9's and I think I want to buy it.  I read a post like Margalis' and I don't want to buy it anymore.  Gah.  How about co-op vs. AI, anyone playing that?  Can the AI put up a good/fun fight?

If you want a shinier version of SC1 you should buy it. I'm not saying it's a bad game, just that it's super conservative. The AI is pretty decent, the hardest difficulty is probably hard for most players. Also I do agree that the single player is more varied than SC1, so if you're into the single player it's probably a good purchase. (As long as you don't mind buying two more games to complete the story...) Hell the multiplayer is good too, there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

I'm watching some SC2 tournament vids right now, I'm hardly a hater. It's just not the landmark game that SC1 was.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:59:44 AM by Margalis »

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: August 01, 2010, 03:46:49 AM

I've got the game and I'm enjoying it. Jim Raynor must have spent the entire game development time working out though. I don't remember him being a super-mutant in Starcraft 1.
I cant actually recall seeing a body shot of him anywhere in the first game. As a character on the field, he was always either in a Vulture, or in a Battlecruiser i think, and other then that, all you ever saw was his face in the comm screens.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: August 01, 2010, 03:54:14 AM

Hmm now that you mention it you're probably right. Still, I found his freakish build a little jarring.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #159 on: August 01, 2010, 05:10:02 AM

As has been mentioned, unless you're into multiplayer or want the WoW pet it's not worth buying for Single Player.  That's all I'm after because I suck at RTS (mainly because I hate micromanaging what I feel should be guys able to think on their own two feet.)  and use cheats to finish.    As such I'm waiting 2-3 years for the battle chest.   Hell I waited 5 years to buy SC1, why should this be different.  awesome, for real

From the little I played in Beta, it looked like it could be fun for RTS-types, FWIW.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #160 on: August 01, 2010, 06:57:57 AM

Hmm now that you mention it you're probably right. Still, I found his freakish build a little jarring.

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE in the starcraft universe is juicin'.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #161 on: August 01, 2010, 07:52:44 AM

Oh God, the story is so BAD.

swamp poop

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #162 on: August 01, 2010, 08:22:54 AM

swamp poop

Finally. Let it all out.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #163 on: August 01, 2010, 08:40:37 AM

I've heard rumors, but I didn't want to stomp all over the euphoria.  Dish!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #164 on: August 01, 2010, 08:45:35 AM

swamp poop

Yea, pretty much. Plot is really Blizzard's blind spot.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #165 on: August 01, 2010, 08:51:03 AM

I think there's one chap at Blizzard who writes story.  Sure, he looks great, but the picture in his attic is a fucking MESS.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #166 on: August 01, 2010, 09:02:21 AM

Finished it on hard just now and I don't think it was worth the money or time, really.

Looks and feels like they're setting it up for a MMO to me. Anyone else get that vibe?

Oh well. I guess I'll go back and do some of the earlier missions for fun if I can be bothered. Maybe I'm just over this type of RTS, but I find the 'epic' ending missions with massive enemy bases and heaps of units really boring and unimaginative and unfun.
lesion

Reply #167 on: August 01, 2010, 09:22:28 AM

I think I'd feel better about myself if the game cost $10 less.

steam|a grue \[T]/
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #168 on: August 01, 2010, 10:06:08 AM

I dished out the big bucks for a CE. I feel a bit stupid, but at least the art book is good. And the USB stick, it's got SC1 and Brood War preinstalled.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #169 on: August 01, 2010, 10:16:31 AM

I was given it as a leaving gift.  If it was just the Single Player, I'd STILL feel I'd paid too much.

As it is, who cares. 

(So Bad.  SUCH A BAD STORY.)

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #170 on: August 01, 2010, 11:01:42 AM

I was given it as a leaving gift.  If it was just the Single Player, I'd STILL feel I'd paid too much.

As it is, who cares. 

(So Bad.  SUCH A BAD STORY.)

Yes, I concur since mine was also free. It's been a fun single player, some decent multi-player but I would never have paid $60 for the game. The fact that they are releasing them all for that amount of money is simply ridiculous. I just don't see how they will convince anybody who isn't a raving lunatic to buy the other two parts at full price.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #171 on: August 01, 2010, 11:32:02 AM

I am absolutely terrible at this game. I mean, like, BAD.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #172 on: August 01, 2010, 11:39:42 AM

Looks and feels like they're setting it up for a MMO to me. Anyone else get that vibe?

Pretty much

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #173 on: August 01, 2010, 12:36:54 PM

You only feel like that because the Story reminded you of Warcraft III.

In the same way as crabs reminds you of syphillus.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #174 on: August 01, 2010, 12:43:10 PM

I figure the 'setting up for sequel/ MMO feeling you're getting' is because you haven't seen the entire story yet.  The end of the Human campaign in WC3 didn't feel like the end of a story, either.  You had to play through the Orcs, Undead and then Night Elves to get it all.  Same thing here, only you have to wait until next year to get the Zerg bit, then the ending with the Protoss at some time after that.   

If it STILL feels like "Oh look, set-up for another game" after that I'll concede.  However, I think Blizzard has learned it's better to just come up with new IPs for MMOs so you don't have to cram stuff in that makes no sense.  Then again, Blizz isn't in charge anymore so it could be, "Hay make everything into an MMO, NOW!" time.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 50 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: StarCraft II  
Jump to: