Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:47:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior  (Read 3467 times)
Azazel
Contributor

on: July 02, 2010, 12:54:14 AM

Just watched the blu ray of this, though I've naturally seen it a number of times on different media over the years. I really have to say that it still stands up extremely well as a film, and doesn't even feel particularly dated. So much post-Apocalyptia has come since this film was released, and so much of it still holds to the templates created here. The first Max film was equally good, but very different, while the third one (Beyond Thunderdome) heads into lalaland after an injection of Hollywood money and Tina Turner. (Though Master Blaster is still cool, in a very special way.)

I haven't seen it since it was newish, but I'd guess the third one is the kind of film that isn't bad in and of itself, but when compared to the one(s) that came before comes off like a poor relative.

But yes, the second film. Still stands up very well. I think I might play some Fallout 3 now for a bit.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:21:59 AM

I haven't seen it since it was newish, but I'd guess the third one is the kind of film that isn't bad in and of itself, but when compared to the one(s) that came before comes off like a poor relative.

Naw, it's pretty bad.

2 is awesome though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:25:52 AM

See, I think the first one is not very good.

The third one has an interesting first half and then it sort falls apart in narrative terms. Still some interesting world-building going on, though.

Second one is still nearly perfect.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:10:48 AM

I really can't remember much at all about the third one. I saw it at the cinema and/or possibly on video when it was released, but not since then. I do remember that when I got a DVD player, it was one I chose not to purchase.

fake edit - ok.. read up on it on Wikipedia. I totally did not remember anything about the second or third acts. All I recall was an arena battle that I presume looked cool. After reading up I take back that it may have been good.

As for the first one, it's a very different kind of film. It's basically a small, 1970's independant Australian film. Not deep, but a good film nonetheless. Also, those freeways are pretty close to where I live and I've been ip and down them many times. The Hall of Justice is about a 15-20min drive from my place, so it's also got local love.  awesome, for real

Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:29:34 AM

The third one has an interesting first half and then it sort falls apart in narrative terms. Still some interesting world-building going on, though.

This.  It's definitely not a very good movie and has a problem with going full retard in several places, but I enjoy it regardless.  There are several gems scattered throughout which make it a fun watch, at least for me.

"I've got skills.  I can trade them."  "The brothel's full."

Even the EwoksLost Children had their moments.  Like that bit where they do the telling for Max, and show him the inscription left behind by Captain Walker, reciting in that creepy monotone, "may God have mercy on our soooooouls..."

Ah fuck it, who am I kidding?  I love every bit of this shitty movie.  The Road Warrior is still better, though.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 01:25:14 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 02:21:16 PM

It's taken him 7 years so far from the time it was originally given the greenlight to get around to doing Fury Road.  He shouldn't be so quick to promise a second movie.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:52:19 PM

Yeah, Fury Road has been going around the traps for roughly forever. The videogame is supposedly also going to factor into the mythos in a key, canonical way. Just like Force Unleashed and Ghostbusters.  why so serious?

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 01:30:25 AM

Don't forget Enter the Matrix!

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 05:15:25 AM

Yeah, Fury Road has been going around the traps for roughly forever. The videogame is supposedly also going to factor into the mythos in a key, canonical way. Just like Force Unleashed and Ghostbusters.  why so serious?

I think the Genesis game Outlander is the closest we'll ever get to a good Mad Max game.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 10:30:48 PM

I'm just happy to have the post-apoc genre to play around in. It's not like the Mad Max world is especially well developed or anything. Hell, you could easily say that Mad Max's world is the same as Fallout's world and it'd fit perfectly, especially since MM is set in Australia.

I never played GW's Dark Future, but it was clearly set in a MM world and centred on vehicular combat. It was also pretty much designed to be compatable with Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars with various Warhammer 40k and Tamiya model WW2 guns glued to them. hm.. might be worth trawling the net to see if the rules are out there.

edit -

thank you Wikipedia, Boardgamegeek and GW:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Future
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2285/dark-future
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1340008_Dark_Future.pdf
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 10:34:08 PM by Azazel »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:34 AM

I'm just happy to have the post-apoc genre to play around in. It's not like the Mad Max world is especially well developed or anything. Hell, you could easily say that Mad Max's world is the same as Fallout's world and it'd fit perfectly, especially since MM is set in Australia.

They'd need to add some driving to Fallout 3 or New Vegas in order for it to feel more like Mad Max.
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 05:52:08 AM

Eh. I don't know. Making a Mad Max movie without Mel Gibson would be like making an Indiana Jones without Harrison Ford. Or a sequel to Dumb and Dumber only without Jim Carrey in it.

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 01:10:58 AM

Really? I thought Jeff Daniels was the one who stole the show.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 03:21:34 AM

They'd need to add some driving to Fallout 3 or New Vegas in order for it to feel more like Mad Max.

Yeah, I just mean it could easily be the exact same setting. Even the gangers in F3 look like they were lifted from MM2.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior  
Jump to: