Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:49:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online  (Read 165435 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: June 17, 2011, 09:21:54 AM

NVM, wrong game.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:23:34 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #526 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:54 AM

Dark Millennium Online to be Playable at E3 2012
Last year, and earlier this year, rumors of a complete rebuild for the game began to surface. Darksiders developer Vigil made it very clear that in order to compete with established properties such as World of Warcraft, or the upcoming BioWare MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic, DMO is going to need to bring something special and different to the table. However, this would need to be done in a way that would not utterly alienate seasoned MMORPGers. Bilson's goal is that anyone who has played WoW, EQ, or the upcoming SW:ToR, will be able to pick up DMO and feel enough at home that they want to play and explore, but also intrigued by the new offerings.

THQ on everything - Interview
But what I know about our 40K game is that if you've played WOW you'll be able to pick up and play this instantly, and you'll find all these things that feel like upgrades, in a way.

Looks like all the being different stuff is off the table and they are just shooting for a WoW clone now.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #527 on: September 15, 2011, 08:41:07 AM

/sadf  Facepalm

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #528 on: September 15, 2011, 09:31:50 AM

While I'd still prefer a massive shooter set in the 40k universe, that doesn't automatically mean WoW clone. I mean, it PROBABLY does, but there also seems to be a recognition between the lines that they need to offer a few doodads to impress people.

I will say that my interest is higher than the previous Zero after playing Space Marine. Different teams, I know, but there seems to be a general understanding of what makes 40K work over there that carries over across games and genres.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: September 15, 2011, 11:23:12 AM

So TOR is WOW with lightsabers, this will be WOW with guns.  We have WOW with rifts, Algawow, Everwow2...
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #530 on: September 15, 2011, 12:12:00 PM

that doesn't automatically mean WoW clone. I mean, it PROBABLY does, but there also seems to be a recognition between the lines that they need to offer a few doodads to impress people.

They dumped "Serbian PVP" for "like WoW but better", they chickened out just like nearly everyone does.  Every design meeting is now going to involve second guessing choices Blizzard made for an entirely different game.  It's as exciting as a new soft drink that has to be black and fizzy.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: September 15, 2011, 12:18:43 PM

roflcopter
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #532 on: September 15, 2011, 12:24:36 PM

Copter, indeed. "this would need to be done in a way that would not utterly alienate seasoned MMORPGers." Way to insult your 'seasoned' fans.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #533 on: September 15, 2011, 03:20:17 PM

They dumped "Serbian PVP" for "like WoW but better", they chickened out just like nearly everyone does.  Every design meeting is now going to involve second guessing choices Blizzard made for an entirely different game.  It's as exciting as a new soft drink that has to be black and fizzy.

Not saying it's some highly anticipated, must buy on my part. I'm just saying... I figured Space Marine might be utter dogshit. It's not. It's fucking good. The guys at THQ at least get the atmosphere, visuals and scope of the setting. That may not be enough to carry it to good game status but it's not on my immediate dustbin list, either.

Scroll back through this thread, though. I'm still on board with calling them idiots if they think they're going to be able to bank on 1mil subs.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #534 on: September 15, 2011, 03:28:01 PM

On the fence until I'm told if I can play a commissar. If I can, I'll probably still buy the game even if it sucks.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #535 on: September 15, 2011, 04:42:18 PM

On the fence until I'm told if I can play a commissar. If I can, I'll probably still buy the game even if it sucks.

Especially if I can execute my group mates when they are playing like shit.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: September 15, 2011, 05:41:38 PM

Yes that has been in my mental design doc for a 40k MMO for a long time. Really, it's pretty much the first thing that came to mind.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #537 on: September 16, 2011, 08:58:23 AM

If you can't, there is no point whatsoever to have a Commisar playable character.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #538 on: September 16, 2011, 09:01:53 AM

That would totally work in an MMO.  Its shocking we haven't seen this yet.

"Me am play gods"
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: September 16, 2011, 10:45:03 AM

Not saying it's some highly anticipated, must buy on my part. I'm just saying... I figured Space Marine might be utter dogshit. It's not. It's fucking good. The guys at THQ at least get the atmosphere, visuals and scope of the setting. That may not be enough to carry it to good game status but it's not on my immediate dustbin list, either.

Scroll back through this thread, though. I'm still on board with calling them idiots if they think they're going to be able to bank on 1mil subs.

If they'd came back and said they're making an action-MMO rather than a WoW Clone your philosophy might've held up

In any case, I'll have to be brutally honest myself, if they simply made WoW in 40k (which was my first question upon entering the world of Azeroth so many years ago: "why the fuck isnt this a 40k game?") I'd probably have to play it.  But, the development of this game is in no way on the scope WoW is, therefore the most "WoW" it'll probably be is just having "!" over quest NPCs.   Ohhhhh, I see.   It's like saying 'Allods' is a perfect WoW clone.   awesome, for real

Anyways, if you think back in the thread the original design doc was always pretty vanilla.   I suppose they could action-up the DIKU, but just like Space Marine it'll get old towards the end regardless.  Tab-target, 'Press 1 for wild bolter swings.'  'Press 1 for wild bolter swings.'.....

It'll be interesting to see the numbers PS2 generates as opposed to DMO.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #540 on: September 16, 2011, 11:52:54 AM

Play EVE.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: September 16, 2011, 12:01:39 PM

It's all very vague, but it would be funny if in their desperation to copy Blizzard's last success, they may have just blown a chance to actually compete with Blizzard's potential next success if "Project Titan" turns out to be some kind of shooty sci-fi MMOFPS type deal, something they would be well poised to do with a license screaming for that kind of game. Talk about fighting the last war.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: September 16, 2011, 02:22:00 PM

It's all very vague, but it would be funny if in their desperation to copy Blizzard's last success, they may have just blown a chance to actually compete with Blizzard's potential next success if "Project Titan" turns out to be some kind of shooty sci-fi MMOFPS type deal, something they would be well poised to do with a license screaming for that kind of game. Talk about fighting the last war.

Absolutely.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #543 on: September 17, 2011, 06:27:57 AM

Wonder how Vigil has faired given THQ's recent cost cutting? Or how they'll go if Darksiders II doesn't get a bigger audience than the first one.

Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #544 on: October 13, 2011, 01:06:14 PM

Some rumors cropped up from an 'unconfirmed source', so take 'em with a grain of salt, some news sites picked up on it, source here

Pasted below:

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: October 13, 2011, 01:18:44 PM

Blah, hate the order/disorder thing a lot more in 40k than in WH Fantasy. Otherwise it doesn't sound unpromising.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: October 13, 2011, 06:44:42 PM

This game will live or die based on whether you die in 2 seconds or 40 minutes.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 07:40:44 AM by DLRiley »
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: October 14, 2011, 06:59:47 AM

I'm going to play a Horde Disorder Ork Warrior!

For the Horde Disorder!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #548 on: October 14, 2011, 07:49:06 AM

Don't do that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #549 on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:04 AM

That list of rumors sounds like a mixture of old design docs and pie in the sky bullshit.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: October 14, 2011, 09:21:42 PM

That list of rumors sounds like a mixture of old design docs and pie in the sky bullshit.

It does, but I sure hope a lot of it is true. They really should just make Space Marine into a full fledged MMOG, leaving combat as is. Hell, right now, multiplayer is 8v8. Not really a far cry from what existing MMOGs do with "scenarios" and "battlegrounds" and "warfronts" and "insert synonym for PvP instance here". All they need to do is tack on a persistent world and a bunch of timesink quests. Voila!

But seriously, Space Marine is a fun damn game. I certainly hope the W40K MMOG gets action, "FPS" combat and not pre-defined skill button press combat.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: October 19, 2011, 03:04:08 AM

If they put in dedicated servers and spent some time adding in other RPG type features and different classes to turn Space Marine into an MMO I would play the fuck out of it for a good while.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #552 on: January 15, 2012, 09:30:07 AM

Rise! Rise from your grave!

...and immediately get staked in the heart, because the latest scuttlebutt is that Dark Millennium has been canceled:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459014
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #553 on: January 15, 2012, 10:46:44 AM

Is there something going on with THQ? Why does everybody instantly believe this Kevin Dent person is telling the truth?
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: January 15, 2012, 02:42:59 PM

THQ's been on the skids for years. You can only release so many AAA-budgeted titles to middling sales before they catch up with you.

2011 in particular was pretty rough; Saint's Row 3 was the only THQ game that really did all that well. Red Faction Armageddon came out and was promptly forgotten, Homefront came and went (that its sequel is being done by a different team is telling), Space Marine's launch was a disaster on every platform except the 360, where it launched mere weeks before Gears of War 3.

I can't imagine THQ's perennial Spongebob and WWE titles are enough to really keep them going.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #555 on: January 15, 2012, 04:45:37 PM

It sounds right because the mid-tier publishers are getting squeezed hard, on top of which 2011 was a year full of great games which makes it hard for any one of their titles to really stand out.

Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #556 on: January 15, 2012, 04:58:44 PM

I wonder who's on the short list for potential buyers.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #557 on: January 15, 2012, 05:18:58 PM

I remember hearing something.... fuck, four months ago? Five? About THQ being dead in the water due to not having a mobile division or something. It was an industry rag reporting out of a big conference but it's hazy now. I remember being really confused because I've always thought of THQ as pretty healthy.
ezrast
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: January 15, 2012, 11:28:12 PM

Is there something going on with THQ? Why does everybody instantly believe this Kevin Dent person is telling the truth?
Winner.

Move along, nothing to see.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #559 on: January 15, 2012, 11:54:38 PM

Depends on if Dent's source is better informed than THQ's Australian PR department.

After all, if they are trying to sell to an external party it would devalue the company to say they had just killed their 2014 plans.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Dark Millennium Online  
Jump to: