Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:45:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  (Read 393878 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 12:58:32 PM

Man, that's depressing. :(

Also, goes to show how long it's been since I've logged in.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 02:37:49 PM

Yeah, I've decided. This is just getting intrusive for no reason. I don't want my real name out there, I don't want people to know if I'm on another toon or server, and I don't want to be friends with 5 people only to get 50 requests because they are social butterflys.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 03:09:02 PM

Sp...turn off the functionality?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 03:42:23 PM

Sp...turn off the functionality?

I guess I'm confused why you couldn't check a box to display a meta-alias?

I'd actually be fine with a few folks seeing "March" is playing  SG2 or on an alt or even on his PvP realm character; but exposing my full name really kinda weirds me out... which means I will not use it, but then why must I employ a binary solution to something that doesn't require a binary approach?
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 03:43:38 PM

I don't believe there is a way to turn off the RealID functionality.

beer geek.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 03:45:28 PM

I don't believe there is a way to turn off the RealID functionality.

You can actually turn it off through the parental controls if you wanted to not even see the friend requests that you're going to decline.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 04:29:59 PM

Real name and email address would be my only two concerns with this system.  I don't want to display those.  Everything else I don't care about.  I can tell people 'no' and I've never liked the ability to hide in games anyway.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 05:55:31 PM

Between the giving out of email addresses and real names, plus the inability to go into anonymous mode, this whole thing seems designed to be as obnoxious as possible. Count me out.

You are crushing my dreams of permanently parking raper van outside your house.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:58:11 PM by sinij »

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 06:06:39 AM

I've come up with a real easy solution for this - if you can call me on the phone, we can be RealID friends. Outside of that, no thanks :)

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 06:28:02 AM

Sure.  Gies yer number.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 11:07:06 AM

This *should* have been a way to talk to and group with people from other servers whom you've met through the random dungeon system. Instead it's "You won't need to keep your IM program running as long as you don't have anyone on it you might want to hear from who doesn't play Blizzard games all the time!"

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #46 on: June 30, 2010, 07:09:26 AM

One of my gamer buddies brought up a good point about the system that it may be more useful when Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, and WoW are all out at the same time. At that point, we could still organize raids while hacking through demons or shooting up zerg, avoiding the annoying "Stare at your character's ass while everyone waits on the last guy to show up," business.

Currently, I still think the system is horribly invasive and provides no upside. However, I would expect that when people don't fully accept it, they will change some of their options.

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 07:13:13 PM

You are nuts if you are going to trust your real name to a bunch of intraweb strangers. If you do - we won't even need autopsy to see what went wrong.

Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: July 02, 2010, 01:27:40 AM

I'm already using it for already existing friends who play Blizzard games. I can't say I'm really planning on adding anyone else though.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #49 on: July 02, 2010, 07:05:58 AM

I'm already using it for already existing friends who play Blizzard games. I can't say I'm really planning on adding anyone else though.

But what about when they add friends who add friends who want to BE YOUR FRIENDS!?!?!

caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 07:06:43 AM

Tell them to get bent?  (Yes, I know it discloses my real name to friends of friends, but that doesn't freak me out.)

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 07:35:37 AM

Actually it doesn't. Not on the request, anyway.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 11:28:05 AM

You can see the names of all your friends' friends, but you can't see what characters belong to them, and you can't go beyond one step, so I couldn't browse my friends' friends' friends.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 07:14:16 PM

I don't want my real identity out there, some people know some moves!

http://www.break.com/index/wow-gangsta-threatens-ex-guildies.html

Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 07:33:57 PM

Ow!

I seem to remember my eyes hurting like this the last time I clicked one of your links, WUP.
Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 08:28:05 PM

I don't want my real identity out there, some people know some moves!

http://www.break.com/index/wow-gangsta-threatens-ex-guildies.html

Dude this is making me rethink my decision to resub to WoW to play with you.  But my card's already billed so fuck it.

EDIT:  I just watched that video to find out that the person brandishing the jack handle is a fuckin' woman.   ACK!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:30:01 PM by Roentgen »

The internet is a place where men are men, women are men, and little boys are the FBI.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 08:34:13 PM

EDIT:  I just watched that video to find out that the person brandishing the jack handle is a fuckin' woman.   ACK!

This was my response as well.  It really wasn't obvious.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 08:46:57 PM

As soon as I heard "moves" I knew it was going to be gold. When I heard "ninjitsu" it went right to platinum. They reeeally don't make ninjas like they used to.

Roentgen
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 08:54:25 PM

I have a hard time believing that the hose-beast in that video was serious.  I think it was all tongue in cheek.

The internet is a place where men are men, women are men, and little boys are the FBI.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 09:02:23 PM

This is obviously the work of an incredibly high level troll.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: July 06, 2010, 05:00:47 AM

I smiled.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: July 06, 2010, 09:57:11 AM

Holy crap....

The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: July 06, 2010, 10:00:33 AM

Holy crap....

The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name

Could this be the death of trolling?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: July 06, 2010, 10:04:34 AM

I love it.

It won't make the official forums any good of course, but the freak-out just in that thread is enough to brighten my day.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: July 06, 2010, 10:34:14 AM

It's kind of the death of the official forum, really. Clever from a labor-saving standpoint, and I suspect that is very much the intention: they can cut the community management staff down to a nub that way. This lets them kill their forums without having to actually kill them and take the bad press for that.

Most of my online writing is under my real name, but there is no way in heaven that I want to say anything about WoW on WoW's forums under my real name. Any more than I want anyone but a selected group of people to have any meaningful knowledge of when I'm playing, what I'm doing when I'm playing or anything else.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: July 06, 2010, 10:39:31 AM

It's kind of the death of the official forum, really. Clever from a labor-saving standpoint, and I suspect that is very much the intention: they can cut the community management staff down to a nub that way. This lets them kill their forums without having to actually kill them and take the bad press for that.

Most of my online writing is under my real name, but there is no way in heaven that I want to say anything about WoW on WoW's forums under my real name. Any more than I want anyone but a selected group of people to have any meaningful knowledge of when I'm playing, what I'm doing when I'm playing or anything else.

Anyone who thinks this is the death of the forums is crazy.  It's going to cut down the signal to noise ratio a lot but think on how much MORE valuable peoples voices will become to devs and blue posts once they realize there are less people inclined to troll.  Oh it'll have a big backlash at first but then people are going to start eating it up, feeling like special snowflakes and soon as numbers on the forums rise again, people will forget what the big deal was anymore.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: July 06, 2010, 10:41:20 AM

It doesn't matter what the change is, people will go apeshit over a "change" until the change is the norm and things go back to normal.

Yeah, I look forward to being able to browse the forums and see far less shit-posting.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: July 06, 2010, 10:45:46 AM

Facepalm

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: July 06, 2010, 10:46:16 AM

The volume of posting will be very small. Which, yes, might be just fine and will certainly improve the signal-to-noise ratio. But I also think very few people will read or use them, and any sense of community (bad and good) will disappear from Blizzard's own forums. Which, again, might be fine. I don't think the main motivation is to increase the quality of the forums.  The main motivation is to remove the forums as a managerial headache and to cut down on the need for community relations staff. In general, my sense is that there is a behind the scenes move to streamline everything about WoW's operations both to save money now and to prototype a management strategy for future projects that will further improve the revenue-to-costs ratio.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: July 06, 2010, 10:49:50 AM

The norm? I wouldn't call this insanity the norm. Internet forums aren't exactly new technology, if RealID model worked we would be all using it by now.

I am not sure if Blizzard can afford to piss off entire player base, gaming grew quite a bit over years and there are studios that can compete and eat Blizzard's lunch. It might take millions and big name like Bioware, but it will happen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Real ID comes to WoW  
Jump to: