Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:43:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  (Read 59665 times)
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #35 on: June 13, 2010, 09:01:56 AM

The art style of that looked EERILY fimiliar to something someone posted a while back (with freaky zombie babies exploding when the hero killed them)

Are you speaking of Pirate Baby's Cabana Battle Street Fight 2006?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: June 13, 2010, 09:25:21 AM

So does he eventually become the 8th Evil Ex?  That seems like the only logical ending.    DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 13, 2010, 01:24:32 PM

The art style of that looked EERILY fimiliar to something someone posted a while back (with freaky zombie babies exploding when the hero killed them)

Yep, that would be it.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 13, 2010, 04:10:46 PM

So does he eventually become the 8th Evil Ex?  That seems like the only logical ending.    DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I'm guessing the movie will end happily ever after, while the comic will end with a lonely kid playing online games, and the whole series was a game all along. The video game ending will probably involve pudding and elves and giant robots or something even weirder.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 01:15:10 PM

Makes sense, appartently he is making the games art.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 17, 2010, 01:40:52 PM

I cannot imagine a more perfect format for a Scott Pilgrim. It looks like his sister is 2P.

Art style matches perfectly. What it could use is just a tiny bit more River City Ransom, as it looked more like Streets of Rage.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 17, 2010, 02:19:22 PM

Oh man. This one looks made for the fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjt4vhSqtFQ

"Cleaning lady?" Lolz

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 02:51:39 PM

Goddamnit, that keeps looking more awesome every time I see anything on it.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 17, 2010, 03:09:57 PM

She dusts...

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 12:39:03 PM

I get the feeling this movie will be awesome, make like $2 in the theater but go on to become a cult classic.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 12:40:25 PM

I get the feeling this movie will be awesome, make like $2 in the theater but go on to become a cult classic.

It's almost like it's an Edgar Wright flick.

beer geek.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: August 05, 2010, 07:23:36 PM

I'm looking forward to this one.  It looks completely over the top silly.  Even Brandon Routh looked good, and that's saying something!

Over and out.
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #47 on: August 05, 2010, 07:33:06 PM

My local comic shop has these books on prominent display. I am unsure whether I want to buy 'em now and possibly ruin the movie (hey, that's not how it goes!) or buy 'em and have some fun comics to read.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 08:01:39 PM

The best way to approach the difference is to realize they intended it to be radically different. Like, apeshittingly different. Two totally different stories. There are some characters who were robotic scientists in the books who were changed to be rock and roll stars, and there are armies of clones.

To further this, they made the video game to have nothing at all to do with any of it. The Gay Roommate is a shopkeeper, the rock star chick rides around in K.I.T.T. from Knight Rider, and there are armies of zombies.

It makes it all go down easier.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #49 on: August 05, 2010, 08:04:09 PM

So I can safely get the Scott Pilgrim TPBs and not worry. Got it.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #50 on: August 05, 2010, 08:16:51 PM

She dusts...

Um, was that Superman wearing Freddie Prinze Jr's wig from the Scooby Doo movies?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #51 on: August 05, 2010, 11:51:01 PM

Yes. The ex-boyfriend cast list is quite interesting in its range.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: August 11, 2010, 02:06:12 PM

I just realized that's the cheerleader from death proof and Bruce Willis daughter in the last Die Hard movie, what a huge freaking difference a wig makes.

I am the .00000001428%
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 11, 2010, 03:02:52 PM

Evil Ex Girlfriend Roxie was also the President's daughter in ID4!  awesome, for real

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 13, 2010, 04:24:05 PM

Fucking. Amazing.

The fight scenes were great and they even gave proper respect to the music. I enjoyed it a lot. Kieran Culkin was an amazing Stephen Stiles.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 13, 2010, 11:42:36 PM

Wallace Wells. (just sayin)

Yeah I saw it tonight, myself. Better than I thought it'd be, and I thought it would be freaking awesome. I think what makes it work is it defines a generation that never had definition.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 03:04:17 AM

Damn it, knew I got them mixed up.

Yoru

Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 06:01:57 AM

Fucking. Amazing.

The fight scenes were great and they even gave proper respect to the music. I enjoyed it a lot. Kieran Culkin was an amazing Stephen Stiles.

This. The opening credits floored me and from there on it was just a lightning adrenaline ride of awesome.

If you grew up with a (S)NES, this movie pretty much was made for you and explicitly for you. Anyone from the pre-gaming generations is going to be puzzled as fuck.

I really like the different approach they took to fight-scene choreography, moving away from the 90s-esque shakycam stuff. Especially the really subtle motion trails they put on all the hand-to-hand stuff.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #58 on: August 14, 2010, 09:33:42 PM

This is getting creamed at the box office. I really wish Wright would have a break-out hit as his movies are just too good for the amount of money they make. I'm worried he won't be able to get stuff financed.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Yoru

Reply #59 on: August 14, 2010, 10:42:43 PM

This movie will live and die on word of mouth. It has cult hit written all over it. The 60something mainstream critics are murdering it. It is not for them. It is for us.

Go.

Watch.

See.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: August 14, 2010, 11:43:50 PM

Where are you seeing the box office results so soon?

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: August 14, 2010, 11:49:15 PM

The theater was less than half full when I saw it on opening night. It made me  Sad Panda

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #62 on: August 15, 2010, 12:35:04 AM

Box Office Mojo is usually pretty good. It puts "SPvsW" at #4, while "The Expendables" earned $13.2m for #1.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: August 15, 2010, 01:11:06 AM

I saw it today too. It started out a little slow but once he and Ramona got together it really picked up and I loved every single second.

Highlights:

I actually liked Knives Chou by the end of the movie. She was annoying at the start.
Kieran Culkin was awesome as the gay room mate. I loved him texting in his sleep.
I also really enjoyed the dance-dance ninja game for some reason. That scene cracked me up.

In a way I had mixed feelings about the end:

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #64 on: August 15, 2010, 02:59:39 AM

At the megaplexes in my area it's only showing on a single screen per theater (except for one place which has it one two) which means the distributor and theaters expect it to be a "small" movie rather than a big one like, say, The Expendables which is showing on 3 to 4 screens per theater.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #65 on: August 15, 2010, 03:02:39 AM

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: August 15, 2010, 04:00:14 AM

I was quite surprised on how good the movie was. The highlight for me was the Sienfield music and the following scene devoted to it.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: August 15, 2010, 10:30:51 AM

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #68 on: August 15, 2010, 11:51:33 AM

This movie will live and die on word of mouth. It has cult hit written all over it. The 60something mainstream critics are murdering it. It is not for them. It is for us.

Based on the weekend, this thing will struggle to get to 20-25 million domestic and will likely do basically nothing internationally (might do some business in UK, Japan and SK, but not much). This on a 60M budget.   I can't see this thing making any money. Each time he does this Wright's ability to get financing goes down.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: August 15, 2010, 12:25:04 PM

DVD sales might save it.

Not that I care but I always found it amusing and indicative of that "First to Report" style of news when they can announce Friday Through Sunday receipts on Sunday morning.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  
Jump to: