Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:56:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  (Read 59599 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

on: May 31, 2010, 05:56:49 PM

Read the manga after seeing the first trailer. Second trailer is much better for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUBVcit5VM

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:26:29 PM

Read the manga after seeing the first trailer. Second trailer is much better for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUBVcit5VM

I don't need to read any manga that looks fun as hell.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:29:09 PM

That looks absurd.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 07:46:10 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that this movie will be even better than I Am Legend.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 02:39:13 AM

That looks annoyingly funny. Putting this on my to-watch list.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:28:41 AM

I'd heard of this but thought it was pretty much what the opening minute of the trailer made it look like it would be. I didn't realise there was also awesome.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 07:36:29 AM

The premise on its own looks awful, but it might be palatable with enough CGI and laughs.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 07:48:45 AM

I really want to see it, but it's still a Michael Cera movie and the only person I want to punch in the throat more than Michael Cera is Jonah Hill. Well, him and the entire cast of the Twilight movies, but I digress.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:08:55 AM

Give this one a chance. If you won't, then read the manga at a book store. It's aimed at a younger crowd but the manga brings up a lot of video game stuff from the 80's, modern music... etc. It's for the MTV Generation but I never watched MTV and it's still fucking awesome.

It having Michael Cera is actually a perfect fit given the main character; in fact, him being involved is almost a non-factor given the strength of the original work.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 09:20:22 AM

I'd heard of this but thought it was pretty much what the opening minute of the trailer made it look like it would be. I didn't realise there was also awesome.

Ditto. I was like, hm, teen romance comedy or something, all my friends are excited, might as well check out the trailer, oh how cute OH WAIT WHAT THE FUCK JUST HAPPENED!!!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 10:07:20 AM

It looks like a young teen version of No More Heroes with more awesome.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 11:24:27 AM

Edit by Trippy: oops I fucked up your post.

Ooooooh, you bastages! I'm being repressed, I tell ya!

What I think I put here was that I read the comic and it is all sorts of kick ass and that the supporting cast looks solid, But Michael fucking Cera.  Mob
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:47:39 PM by Surlyboi »

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 03:36:47 PM

It looks awesome, but does Cera have to be in every damn movie made now?  Wasn't Jesse Eisenberg available?

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 04:39:53 PM

Hollywood can only handle one geek at a time amongst the pretty people, so he gets overused.  Much like it can only handle 3-5 Asians (only one of whom can be elderly) and three black guys.  No, Morgan Freeman and Will Smith don't count.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 05:08:48 PM

Works for stoners too.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 06:59:57 AM

I'm a big Michael Cera fan, and this looks fucking awesome. I want.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 08:54:35 AM

This could go either way.  If it can get past its gimmick, the movie could be pretty good.  Kick Ass being a success.  Repo Man being a failure.

"Me am play gods"
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 09:44:52 AM

Kick Ass's gimmick was fully fleshed out with a cohesive ending. Repo Men was nothing but a gimmick that had the story it was based off of end at about halfway through the movie, with a lot of elements inserted to try and make it complete. Scott Pilgrim has had 5 of its 6 volumes released, with the 6th volume being done differently between the manga and the movie studio according to the creator. So, I'm thinking it will be 5/6th's as effective?

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 09:55:31 AM

I've never read the books, but I've always been interested in the goofy concept. This looks to be pretty fun, and in the very capable hands of Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead/Hot Fuzz), who seems perfectly able to fit camp and awesome together.

beer geek.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 11:00:25 AM

Kick Ass's gimmick was fully fleshed out with a cohesive ending. Repo Men was nothing but a gimmick that had the story it was based off of end at about halfway through the movie, with a lot of elements inserted to try and make it complete. Scott Pilgrim has had 5 of its 6 volumes released, with the 6th volume being done differently between the manga and the movie studio according to the creator. So, I'm thinking it will be 5/6th's as effective?

Actually that's kinda encouraging to me, because I get the feeling the end of Scott Pilgrim the Manga is going to translate poorly to film. Just a feeling.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 11:13:42 AM

Likely. They cut some of the subplots that will probably see realization in the manga in order to fit into the timeframe of a movie. But it works for me because the final manga is coming out before the movie, so it'll be good to see what the differences are.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 12:36:43 PM

If you are criticizing Repo Men, then have at it.  If you are criticizing Repo Man, then shut your dirty whore mouth.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 03:34:08 PM

Would you really call this a Manga?  I glanced at the artwork and it doesn't really look Manga'ish.  Also, you know, its not Japanese.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:43:03 PM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 03:51:50 PM

Would you really call this a Manga?  I glanced at the artwork and it doesn't really look Manga'ish.  Also, you know, its not Japanese.

I think it's mostly because of the style/size the book is, though the artwork is definitely asian inspired.

beer geek.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #24 on: June 02, 2010, 03:59:49 PM

Still not fucking manga though.

And yes, I'm a snob, but no matter how much I may like it, GTO it fucking ain't.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 02, 2010, 04:24:38 PM

I'd call it a digest, because it is in fact a digest.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #26 on: June 02, 2010, 04:33:17 PM

I'll buy that for a dollar.

angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #27 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:10 PM

Blargh, you guys beat me to it: not manga. Japanese inspired independent comic by Irishy Irishy O'Irishname guy.

Also, the only difference between Kick Ass and Repoman is twenty five years and a standard movie ending for their respective eras.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #28 on: June 03, 2010, 07:05:29 AM

The true test of "is it a manga?": are fat girls in Barnes and Noble reading the entire thing standing in front of the shelf?

-Rasix
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 07:30:29 AM

I just like the word manga to describe the style and format.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 09:12:05 AM

Manga is a digest too! Just sayin.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 03, 2010, 09:27:06 AM

NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #32 on: June 04, 2010, 11:54:22 AM

Coming from a Manga or Digest doesn't dilute the fact that the movie looks awesome.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: June 12, 2010, 12:19:31 AM

For a while there I was like, why is the fight with the twins a Battle of the Bands? They weren't even musicians in the comic. Then I came across the game's E3 footage....

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-scott-pilgrim/101185

"let's do a game that seems like it was made by japanese people who couldn't actually understand the scott pilgrim comics". -Bryan Lee O'Malley, on his .ning forum.

ACK!

Fat Chun Li wearing a cape, with a Dragon Warrior slime on her head.

ACK!

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 12, 2010, 01:19:57 PM

The art style of that looked EERILY fimiliar to something someone posted a while back (with freaky zombie babies exploding when the hero killed them)

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  
Jump to: