Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:42:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  (Read 59594 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #175 on: September 11, 2010, 06:58:05 AM

This reminds me of a situation today where I read an article speaking about the popularity of Female Shepard from Mass Effect only to have the numbers come out and show that 80% of people who play Mass Effect play Male Shepard. (Article is here.)

Those stats may be misleading: you'd need a stat that showed how many / proportion of players played male only, female only and how many played a character of both genders. There would be some overlap.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: September 11, 2010, 11:54:38 AM

Sure, but I think even taking that into account, a clear and massive majority of players picked the godawful Male Shepard.

Soldier outweighing all other classes combined was probably more damaging to the game as previously mentioned.

Where were we? Oh yeah. Scott Pilgrim is a oneshot for the fans and there won't be anything like it for a long while and I think low box office is the least important factor compared to lack of interesting video game culture based IPs / stories.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #177 on: September 11, 2010, 12:00:21 PM

Luckily, Scott Pilgrim doesn't want or need a sequel.  The movie managed to cover the entire story pretty well, and a sequel would only diminish the brilliance of the first movie.  And I'm pretty sure Edgar Wright is going to keep making awesome stuff no matter what.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #178 on: September 23, 2010, 02:25:38 PM

This movie wasn't that good. It wasn't that bad either but its amazing you guys managed to care enough to talk for six pages about if it was good or not. It was a fairly average movie that had funny parts and lots of who cares bits.

Certainly it wasn't something worth seeing in a movie theater for ten bucks.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #179 on: September 23, 2010, 02:26:59 PM

And yet you posted!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #180 on: September 23, 2010, 02:35:16 PM

I only watched it because I figured if it had generated this much response there had to be a chance that I would really like it. I liked it but how anyone could have strong feelings one way or the other baffles me. Some I'm posting to complain that such a big deal was made, what of it?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #181 on: September 23, 2010, 02:54:40 PM

You are a horribly broken person.  awesome, for real

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #182 on: September 23, 2010, 03:27:45 PM

And you're excalating things further, Hoax. That's why we have a 6-page thread! PEOPLE LIKE YOU! YOUUUU!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #183 on: September 23, 2010, 03:55:55 PM

The director should have just stuck to tried and true movie themes like in Dancing with Wolves.  That's what all the popular movies do!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #184 on: September 23, 2010, 04:07:11 PM

The director should have just stuck to tried and true movie themes like in Dancing with Wolves.  That's what all the popular movies do!

Think how awesome Dances With Wolves would have been if the Confederates had had mechs.  With giant knives instead of guns!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #185 on: September 23, 2010, 04:13:15 PM

Could you improve that with giant tree hugging smurfs?  I think you could!

On topic.. I just saw this.  I wasn't really blown away, but I just suspect it was built up a little too much.  Still, it was quite enjoyable and worth seeing.  First movie I've seen in a theater in 15 months and I was all alone (one showing in all of Tucson).  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 10:26:54 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: September 23, 2010, 04:20:01 PM

Truth be told, almost all discussions I run into are whether or not the movie is important, and to whom.

schild
Administrator

Reply #187 on: December 25, 2010, 09:22:52 PM

Read the comic book. Hated it.

Watched the movie. Still bad.

Michael Cera is just unbelievably godawful.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #188 on: December 26, 2010, 09:41:46 AM

You're crazy.  This movie only gets more awesome each time I see it. 

Michael Cera is probably the weakest actor in it, though.  It's really all about the supporting cast.

schild
Administrator

Reply #189 on: December 26, 2010, 09:01:27 PM

Schwartzman sucked in it and I was most looking forward to his stuff.

Cera is so bad in it (and everything) that he makes the rest just completely unenjoyable.

Brandon Routh was the high point.

BRANDON ROUTH WAS THE HIGH POINT.

That means the movie is shit.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: December 26, 2010, 10:33:35 PM

awesome, for real

It's not for you?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #191 on: December 27, 2010, 02:08:04 AM

Final box office stats.

Production budget: $60m if you believe Mojo, $85m if you believe Numbers
Total worldwide gross: $47.5m according to everyone
Home video projection from Box Office Spy: "With what it took in this past week, it could very well earn anywhere from $14-$19 million from hard-copy sales in the first six months of release, but that will be contingent on just how front-loaded it turns out to be."

If you believe Mojo, which is the lowest estimate around and certainly doesn't include marketing costs, then this movie might eventually begin turning a small profit somewhere around the middle of 2011. However, it's more likely that the production of this film was functionally equivalent to taking several million dollars cash and setting it on fire.

If you want to tell me you enjoyed the movie, then good for you. I've never seen it and have never attempted to argue it's merits or lack therof. But next time I call a flop, don't any of you chucklefucks try to argue with me.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 02:10:32 AM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: December 27, 2010, 04:01:48 AM

I figured it'd flop about halfway through reading Vol 1.  awesome, for real

Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: December 27, 2010, 08:29:21 AM

Half-watched it this weekend.  Movie for dorks and nerds who play video games, didn't disappoint as I didn't have high expectations or know anything about it except for what I'd read on threads like this.  I thought it was amusing, but I had to explain to the geeks I watched it with that, no, it was NOT a box office hit despite them thinking that it was the best movie in years when they wouldn't shut the fuck up about it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #194 on: December 27, 2010, 11:38:27 AM

I had to explain to the geeks I watched it with that, no, it was NOT a box office hit despite them thinking that it was the best movie in years when they wouldn't shut the fuck up about it.

You dick. Even I only do that on the internet.  why so serious?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: December 27, 2010, 01:01:06 PM

You dick. Even I only do that on the internet.  why so serious?
It was my ex's new boyfriend who I dislike.  He deserved it ;-)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #196 on: December 27, 2010, 03:35:40 PM

I think anyone who saw the trailer could tell it was going to do shit at the box office, mostly because people wouldn't "get it." I would have expected it to break even at best. Still doesn't change the awesomeness of it, mostly because it's not my money going up in flames.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: December 27, 2010, 04:30:32 PM

Watched it.  Enjoyed it.  Like a live action anime.  Lead actress sucked, Cera was pretty good with his one-note acting.  How can the guy be an 'awkward youth' even when in combat?  I liked how it was in Toronto, not a lot of mainstream films about our overly polite neighbors to the north.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: December 28, 2010, 09:23:44 AM

Just watched the movie and my main take away was, how did they find such an ugly asian actress in Toronto?  That seriously takes skill, congratulations on scraping the bottom of the casting barrel.

Ok, hiring:  makes up for part of the fail. 

Some great lines though...:

"What's that from?"
"My brain!"

"Kick her in the balls!"

"I gotta pee on her."

Brandon Routh, ve-gon, fucking awesome, lol... punched the highlights out of her hair...  Woot!    Just awesome, lol.  Fun?  In Toronto?!  Chicken isn't vegan?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Overall, not a bad movie and I even liked the music.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #199 on: December 28, 2010, 10:09:03 AM

I was shocked by how much I liked the music in this movie.  I'm pretty sure that in an objective sense it's crap, but there's something I really dig about that rough garage band sound.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #200 on: December 28, 2010, 10:19:01 AM

I was shocked by how much I liked the music in this movie.  I'm pretty sure that in an objective sense it's crap, but there's something I really dig about that rough garage band sound.

You have Beck to thank for that.  awesome, for real

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: December 28, 2010, 10:25:51 AM

Just watched the movie and my main take away was, how did they find such an ugly asian actress in Toronto?  That seriously takes skill, congratulations on scraping the bottom of the casting barrel.

If you're talking about Ellen Wong then your definition of ugly confuses me.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #202 on: December 28, 2010, 10:36:16 AM

Yeah, I've been thinking I need to pick up a CD and see if I like the rest of his work.

That Ellen Wong looks waaaay better with long hair.  Damn.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #203 on: December 28, 2010, 11:09:16 AM

Yeah, I think they had her look the way she did as a style choice, and I liked it.  She looked normal, like what an average nerdy asian High School girl running around Toronto (no matter what Oban says) would look like.  I think it would have thrown things off if they had him dating some Asian super model.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: December 28, 2010, 01:48:59 PM

The soundtrack is by Beck? Damn, another Scientology stooge that tricked me into giving him money.
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: December 28, 2010, 01:52:19 PM

So it's ok for him to date... never mind.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #206 on: December 28, 2010, 02:52:50 PM

So it's ok for him to date... never mind.
Other chick wasn't suppose to be a desperate high school nerd.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: December 28, 2010, 03:03:04 PM

Woah. That's Knives Chou? Dayamn.

The movie rendered everyone in the same realistic, grungy, high school style fitting the manga. Dawson's Creek and other "everyone is BEAUTIFUL" it ain't.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #208 on: December 28, 2010, 03:42:41 PM

Yeah, I've been thinking I need to pick up a CD and see if I like the rest of his work.

Head scratch  You've never heard Beck before?  The song "Loser"  "Where It's At" or "Devil's Haircut"?  Never seen the episode of Futurama that had him in it?  Am I just watching the joke fly over my head? 

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #209 on: December 28, 2010, 03:50:08 PM

Woah. That's Knives Chou? Dayamn.

The movie rendered everyone in the same realistic, grungy, high school style fitting the manga. Dawson's Creek and other "everyone is BEAUTIFUL" it ain't.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HollywoodHomely

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World  
Jump to: