Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:09:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  (Read 134201 times)
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 07:55:42 AM

I will be

Not sure if I have you on my friends list, I'll be sure to add you when I get home.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 07:57:06 AM

Probably.  I'm still up in the air.  I'm just waiting to see if there's any word on fuckups with the PS3 version.  To be honest, multiplayer really shouldn't figure that heavily in my decision, since I hardly ever play console games with others.

-Rasix
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 08:02:33 AM

Anyone else getting it for PS3?

Yes. ( I won the 360/ps3 argument by virtue of paying for the game.)

I have never played multiplayer console anything though, so I don't know when if ever I'll do that.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 18, 2010, 08:56:52 AM

I'm thinking about getting the PS3 version, but am waiting to here if there are any major issues with it.  If anyone hears anything on that topic, do tell.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #39 on: May 18, 2010, 09:42:29 AM

Same. I have both systems, I just prefer PS3. I'll wait to see if there's any game-stopping issues before purchasing.
Rasix

Reply #40 on: May 18, 2010, 09:47:27 AM

Some digging has found:

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/3178/red-dead-redemption-360-amp-ps3-identical

I haven't seen anything yet.  Usually if there is a problem, even a small graphical issue, there's a ton of RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE everywhere.

edit: God forums on other sites make me cringe. 
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:50:53 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: May 18, 2010, 10:03:41 AM

I would normally get this on 360 as its supposed to have crisper graphics (Better AA method used on the 360), a slightly better framerate along with a controller that is better suited to shooters but I am picking it up on PS3 to play with NiX....well that and I can no longer play on Live.

So for those with the PS3 version my PSN ID is Phire
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #42 on: May 18, 2010, 10:34:06 AM

Some people think the L2/R2 Aim/Shoot is weird. Outside of that, I've heard no bad things from people who have already played the PS3 version.

I would normally get this on 360 as its supposed to have crisper graphics (Better AA method used on the 360), a slightly better framerate along with a controller that is better suited to shooters but I am picking it up on PS3 to play with NiX....well that and I can no longer play on Live.

You don't get to play until Thursday. ENJOY WORKING! why so serious?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #43 on: May 18, 2010, 11:20:46 AM

Some people think the L2/R2 Aim/Shoot is weird.
Isn't that GTA-style? That's how it is with my 360 controller on the PC, anyway.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #44 on: May 18, 2010, 11:27:54 AM

Probably.  I'm still up in the air.  I'm just waiting to see if there's any word on fuckups with the PS3 version.  To be honest, multiplayer really shouldn't figure that heavily in my decision, since I hardly ever play console games with others.

Like I said, the main thing that would have me worry about the PS3 version are the Gamespy servers.  But like you, I don't play a lot of console multiplayer so it wouldn't have been a huge deal to me if I hadn't got the 360 version.
Rasix

Reply #45 on: May 18, 2010, 11:36:50 AM

Got the PS3 version.  ID is Rasixf13. 

It's fine so far.  Nothing wrong with L2/R2 for the shooting. 

-Rasix
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: May 18, 2010, 11:42:43 AM

Comparison by ars.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: May 18, 2010, 11:47:47 AM

So, one article categorically promising no differences between the two versions.  The second claiming a clear graphical advantage to the 360 and that anyone with a choice should buy that version.

Thanks Internet!

Ohhhhh, I see.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 18, 2010, 12:04:43 PM

It's just the internet being as useful as ever  awesome, for real
Phire
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: May 18, 2010, 12:07:01 PM

Some people think the L2/R2 Aim/Shoot is weird. Outside of that, I've heard no bad things from people who have already played the PS3 version.

You don't get to play until Thursday. ENJOY WORKING! why so serious?

Or I could steal your copy and play all night while you sleep!  awesome, for real
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 12:09:50 PM

Put me down for a ps3 person here since we get exclusive top hats.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 12:10:39 PM

So that's... everyone in the PS3 column?  Ohhhhh, I see.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 02:21:56 PM

I'll be sitting around LONELY tonight as kildy on the 360. ALONE IN THE WILD WILD WEST. Or, you know, when I'm done shooting it all.
Rasix

Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 02:29:52 PM

I like it so far. It feels like a Western GTAIV with a lot of side content to do right from the start.  This is game where you could be constantly doing something other than progressing the main plot.  Feels a bit like a TES game in that regard.

Minor complaints:

-Horse controls are a bit wonky at the start. 
-There seem to be a few framerate issues.  OMG PS3.  It's not bad but enough that you can notice it a little bit.
-I'm having issues seeing things.  It's the wild west, so everything is brown. People wear brown and are sometimes hard to see in combat when they hide behind brown rocks.  I think I need a bigger TV.  I don't think my wife will buy this as a reason to get one.
-I'm red/green color blind. The waypoint line color is dark red. This is incredibly hard for me to see.  I wish companies would choose a bright color or one that isn't part of the most common form of color blindness.  A big purple line is less manly I guess.

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:42 PM

Ugh another color-blind unfriendly game. That moves it down a few notches on the 'want' list.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 03:15:03 PM

Ugh another color-blind unfriendly game. That moves it down a few notches on the 'want' list.

Yah, I'm getting sick of it.  At least with SC2 it had a button I could click when Phry and I were basically the same color to me (yellow, light green).  But this? Dark red on gray and nothing I can do about it.   At least it's not that crucial, but I really can't see it a lot of the time.

Don't these guys have accessibility testing at all?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:19:10 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 03:45:46 PM

Given the number of color-blind nerds I know (something like 10% of the male population are color-blind) it is amazing to me that this doesn't come up just with the people *making* the game, let alone testers.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 06:53:03 PM

I'll be on XBOX, as Viin7.

- Viin
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 08:19:58 PM

So far it's.. ok. But, I'm not far into it yet. I think I'm not in Sandbox mode, as I keep doing the main quests, which I hear is only half of the fun.

My advice: Do ALL of the Bonnie missions. They're pretty much tutorials, but they don't tell you that and you'll be left thinking "WTF?" if you stop after she tells you you can do missions for the Marshal.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 12:34:07 AM

It feels like a Western GTAIV with a lot of side content to do right from the start. 

-I'm having issues seeing things.  It's the wild west, so everything is brown. People wear brown and are sometimes hard to see in combat when they hide behind brown rocks.

An all-brown GTA game. Well I'm out.  awesome, for real

Seriously though thanks for the impressions. I'd heard it described as Grand Theft Horse but only third-hand and while I do love the western setting GTA does nothing for me.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 01:20:11 AM

Free Roam turned into players practicing ganking players at spawn points. I've also noticed severe issues with models going missing in Free Roam.

Lots of network issues too, which is surprising. I couldn't get the Free Roam thing going at 7. Wasn't able to download my preorder outfit due to being unable to connect to their servers. On the bright side, got my Kill a Rockstar Dev achievement.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:21:53 AM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 03:14:48 AM

I'm not sure the IGN reviwer could have fellated this game much harder.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 03:26:59 AM

Yeah, he seemed to like it.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 06:20:36 AM

I'm not sure the IGN reviwer could have fellated this game much harder.

I really think it'll be GTA4 all over again. Stellar reviews, glasses come off and then the backlash.

That being said, I'll give it more time before I give an actual impression.
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 07:36:15 AM

It feels like a Western GTAIV with a lot of side content to do right from the start. 

-I'm having issues seeing things.  It's the wild west, so everything is brown. People wear brown and are sometimes hard to see in combat when they hide behind brown rocks.

An all-brown GTA game. Well I'm out.  awesome, for real

Seriously though thanks for the impressions. I'd heard it described as Grand Theft Horse but only third-hand and while I do love the western setting GTA does nothing for me.

I enjoy the game, but in many ways Lead and Gold is a better western "video game".  Red Dead Redemption is more of an "experience" but the gameplay itself is as wonky as the GTA games always are.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 12:49:33 PM

I'm enjoying riding my horse as fast as possible along a winding trail and then ending up falling down a very large cliff.

So far it's interesting from a single-player exploration point of view, not really a huge fan of the combat (so far) but it's not awful.. just have to remember to look toward my target and hit the AIM trigger to auto-aim and it's a lot easier.

The Bonnie and Marshall quests are pretty well done (though the cut scenes are a bit long and many, hopefully those start getting shorter).

- Viin
WayAbvPar

Reply #66 on: May 19, 2010, 01:49:35 PM

I am not sure if I want a Steam option or not. I don't think my sanity could survive another shitty console port UI.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Jherad
Terracotta Army

I find Rachel Maddow seriously hot.

Reply #67 on: May 19, 2010, 03:47:18 PM

I *want* a Steam option, but I'd definitely wait a month or so until after it had been released before taking the plunge.

My advice: Do ALL of the Bonnie missions. They're pretty much tutorials, but they don't tell you that and you'll be left thinking "WTF?" if you stop after she tells you you can do missions for the Marshal.

Not to mention that the Bonnie missions give you an essential piece of equipment that cannot (I believe) be obtained elsewhere.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: May 19, 2010, 03:49:01 PM

I'm surprised they didn't corral you more into the Bonnie missions.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: May 19, 2010, 07:47:20 PM

I'm surprised they didn't corral you more into the Bonnie missions.

Rimshot Facepalm

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  
Jump to: