Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:04:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  (Read 134903 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #105 on: May 21, 2010, 05:36:09 AM

Is there busty women in tight corsets in this game?  Preferably ones screaming from high windows and rooms that I can get to, to like use the bathroom 'n stuff y'know.
 DRILLING AND MANLINESS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaI5dSbCdWc

Feisty women with guns. DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 21, 2010, 05:40:16 AM

Anyone else getting it for PS3?

Probably.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: May 21, 2010, 05:51:32 AM

Someone asked earlier and I haven't seen an answer yet. How do you figure out what type of horse you are using?

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #108 on: May 21, 2010, 06:59:08 AM

Someone asked earlier and I haven't seen an answer yet. How do you figure out what type of horse you are using?

So far the only indicator I've seen is size and muscle build. The bigger the horse and the more define the muscles are on that big horse, the better it is.

Edit: Duplicate words, hurr durr.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:30:10 AM by NiX »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: May 21, 2010, 07:00:25 AM

Ah, the benefits of age and disposable income. Sometimes it's good to be old.  awesome, for real

I'm not old, you bastard.

why so serious?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 21, 2010, 07:07:55 AM

Well-aged, then? Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: May 21, 2010, 07:37:43 AM

I'm going to pray to ever deity that will listen to please please pleeeeease let this be ported to the PC. I don't care about crappy controls or patches or things like that. I want to play this game but I don't have the moolah for teh PS3s or Xboxens.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #112 on: May 21, 2010, 08:28:07 AM

I'm going to pray to ever deity that will listen to please please pleeeeease let this be ported to the PC. I don't care about crappy controls or patches or things like that. I want to play this game but I don't have the moolah for teh PS3s or Xboxens.

My thoughts exactly.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #113 on: May 21, 2010, 09:09:36 AM

If they ported Manhunt and Bully, they'll port this one. Patience, grasshopper.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #114 on: May 21, 2010, 09:17:00 AM

If they ported Manhunt and Bully, they'll port this one. Patience, grasshopper.

Yep, it'll happen. Give it 6 months to a year. Controls should be a little easier on you (if you play KB & mouse) as you're not dealing with traffic so much.  Weapon selection method is a bit crappy, pray that they rework bit of the UI for the PC (yah, I know, I laughed).

Sight issues for me aside, this one is pretty fun so far.  Granted, I probably said similar about GTAIV before it wore out it's welcome, but I don't really foresee a falling out with this title.  It's fun and the little side stuff you're able to do is mostly entertaining and non-crappy.  I can play for more than an hour and only really feel the need to do one mainline quest. Plus, like others have mentioned the setting and tone are just wonderful. 

-Rasix
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: May 21, 2010, 09:31:53 AM

Right now I'm obsessed with exploring, unlocking costume bits, and advancing challenges. I'll be damned if I can find rabbits to shoot for my sharpshooter challenge though! And I'm about to break down and buy one of those 20 minute maps for my survivalist challenge.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 21, 2010, 10:08:57 AM

I'll be damned if I can find rabbits to shoot for my sharpshooter challenge though! And I'm about to break down and buy one of those 20 minute maps for my survivalist challenge.

Check forested areas where Coyotes hang, like outside Macfarlane's Ranch to the southeast. They tend to be viewable from paths so you can rush around if you want. It's more annoying in Free Roam to find.

Those 20 minute maps are probably a sound investment given you can scrounge up $25 pretty fast and what will likely be a surplus of cash late game. I'd recommend getting them. I'm not sure what the herbs are for though except for selling. Compared to animal skins I feel a strong desire to hang onto herbs.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #117 on: May 21, 2010, 10:32:04 AM

Desert rules apply: During the day they try to stay cool and out of sight, at dusk/night they tend to come out more.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: May 21, 2010, 10:33:22 AM

So. I've been hearing the PS3 graphics are slightly less impressive than the 360. I was over on Gamefaqs and some dude said he disabled 1080i and 1080p in his settings and it made them look better. I thought "what the hell" and tried it. Sure enough, things look smoother and very slightly higher resolution.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 21, 2010, 10:40:09 AM

Desert rules apply: During the day they try to stay cool and out of sight, at dusk/night they tend to come out more.

I wish they had a knowledgeable trapper or some in-game resource to train the player on how to track animals. Instead I feel like I just go to spawn point and wait. I do however have enough general knowledge to know birds won't be out when it rains, owls appear at night, etc. Typically when you hear the telltale YIP (or, really, ANY animal noise) you should stop and look around. Also: coyotes like to hit the chickens at that farm to the south of MacFarlane's. That's how I got mine quickly.

Now, how about some explanation between Casual, Normal, and Expert targeting. Nothing in the manual, and I didn't see anything in the game. The game tends to do a little auto-aiming even on Expert and the cursor isn't right on the target, which leads to an unfortunate problem of blowing the head off a guy whose hat is the only thing you want to take off.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Moosehands
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:07 AM

There's a reason for that abrupt end with no explanation.

Which ending are you talking about here?  What I mean is:

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 21, 2010, 11:20:38 AM

So. I've been hearing the PS3 graphics are slightly less impressive than the 360. I was over on Gamefaqs and some dude said he disabled 1080i and 1080p in his settings and it made them look better. I thought "what the hell" and tried it. Sure enough, things look smoother and very slightly higher resolution.
This goes for any HD source, really. You want it to be converted by whatever has the best converter in your chain. Sometimes that's the tv, sometimes it's the source.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 21, 2010, 11:24:12 AM

This goes for any HD source, really. You want it to be converted by whatever has the best converter in your chain. Sometimes that's the tv, sometimes it's the source.

From what I'm reading now it appears the PS3 scaler isn't that great so I guess my HDTV does it better when I turn off the 1080i and 1080p whereas the 360 scaler is pretty good hence it looks slightly better. I can tell a difference now that 1080i and 1080p are unchecked on the PS3. The textures look crisper and things look smoother. It's not HUGE but it is noticeable.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #123 on: May 21, 2010, 11:32:27 AM

I can't find the article right now now but the author was claiming the PS3 version has a native resolution slightly under 720p and is upscaled to 720p while the Xbox 360 version is 720p native. It also uses a different AA method than the Xbox 360 version. So the PS3 has a slightly blurrier but smoother look (apparently, I haven't played either version yet) while the Xbox 360 is "crisper".
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: May 21, 2010, 11:34:28 AM

Upscaled to 720p? If true, ouch. Wait for the PC version and get 1080p :)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: May 21, 2010, 11:36:05 AM

Oh, awesome. Dug out the old 360 and fired it up, only to get RROD upon startup. I guess the old girl has finally given up the ghost, even though she hasn't been used much. (it's a first gen thingy)

Helps if I 1) connect the AV to the 360 before firing it up, and 2) understand that all 4 corners is it complaining about AV, not 3 (which is what the RROD is). Onwards to the west!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 11:54:43 AM by tgr »

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #126 on: May 21, 2010, 11:55:14 AM

I can't find the article right now now but the author was claiming the PS3 version has a native resolution slightly under 720p and is upscaled to 720p while the Xbox 360 version is 720p native. It also uses a different AA method than the Xbox 360 version. So the PS3 has a slightly blurrier but smoother look (apparently, I haven't played either version yet) while the Xbox 360 is "crisper".
Found the article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/196661/analysis_red_dead_redemption_on_ps3_vs_xbox_360.html
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: May 21, 2010, 12:12:01 PM

Yeah, but the point is after disabling 1080i and 1080p the graphics look crisper. IE, closer to the 360 version. It's unscientific true but I can see the difference. Things look more "smudged" with the 1080s enabled but crisper with them off.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: May 21, 2010, 12:29:17 PM

Is there anyway to display the current horse you have?  Also, what's the deal with duels (do those little x's show up on their own) and the new dead eye mode? 

I really wish you could replay certain tutorials, one mispressed X and now I have no idea what I'm doing with certain game mechanics.

I did the same thing on my tutorial duel.  I have no idea what to do, I just press buttons until something works.  2 duels so far, won both.  I suspect it will become more difficult.

Dead Eye has something to do with pushing the R3 button/joystick down but I'm not sure what.

Wtih regard to horses, I don't think there's a way to tell which one you have by looking at inventory or anything.  If you whistle, it comes.  If you lose it, you can buy a deed for another one at the store.  I don't believe that you can sell horses.

This seems like a helpful site:
http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Dead_Wiki
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 21, 2010, 12:57:39 PM

Dead Eye has something to do with pushing the R3 button/joystick down but I'm not sure what.

When you tap R3 and activate dead eye it slows down the movements on npc's. As you rank up you will have access to auto target the npc in slow movement, the last mode will allow you to mark target area's with an x in slow time. When you exit dead eye you shoot at every x in very rapid succession automatically. Note: On lower NPC's their draw speeds are slower but find a boss etc and you will notice they can draw quick in deadeye.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #130 on: May 21, 2010, 01:49:11 PM

Now, how about some explanation between Casual, Normal, and Expert targeting. Nothing in the manual, and I didn't see anything in the game. The game tends to do a little auto-aiming even on Expert and the cursor isn't right on the target, which leads to an unfortunate problem of blowing the head off a guy whose hat is the only thing you want to take off.

Casual - Full on auto aim with the ability to flick the left stick to snap to different targets

Normal - Snaps to targets on aim, but movement is possible and another target isn't picked until you leave and re-enter aim

Expert - Dunno, haven't tried. I was under the impression it's full manual aim unless there's "nudge" aiming like CoD or Halo.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 21, 2010, 01:49:25 PM

Cheat a poker and get caught. Plenty of duel practice there.

I feel bad killing people in this game though. Even though in certain instances it's no hit to honor or anything. Duels, for instance; I want to teach them not to fuck with me, not to make them permanently pay for a mistake.

Applies to any "chase and capture" events as well.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 21, 2010, 01:50:58 PM

Casual - Full on auto aim with the ability to flick the left stick to snap to different targets

Normal - Snaps to targets on aim, but movement is possible and another target isn't picked until you leave and re-enter aim

Expert - Dunno, haven't tried. I was under the impression it's full manual aim unless there's "nudge" aiming like CoD or Halo.

Expert was what I was using, by default. It doesn't snap, but there is some auto-aim. However the reticule isn't even explained until the second Marshal mission. In multiplayer there's a "circle" I assume means that's how much auto-aim you have with your weapon (anywhere the target is in the circle has a chance of being hit, but preferably you want it on the dot).

Similar problems exist in other games that implement auto-aim on manual aiming. Targets moving left to right affect the acceleration of your cursor. Also, aiming at a target downrange to have another valid target run in front of him will throw off your aim. This is one of the main reasons I wish I could shut off auto-aim so I have a consistent movement of my cursor.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 02:09:16 PM by Lorekeep »

Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: May 21, 2010, 01:51:57 PM

Got it for xbox (Chuckles Brown)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: May 21, 2010, 02:03:08 PM

Cheat a poker and get caught. Plenty of duel practice there.

I feel bad killing people in this game though. Even though in certain instances it's no hit to honor or anything. Duels, for instance; I want to teach them not to fuck with me, not to make them permanently pay for a mistake.

Shoot them in the gun hand. They drop their weapon and the duel is over. As a bonus you also get a bonus to honor and fame.

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: May 21, 2010, 02:05:39 PM

I haven't tried yet, but do you lose honor at all after being caught cheating and before the duel?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: May 21, 2010, 02:07:24 PM

No. In fact you can gain massive honor and fame by using the duels to shoot guns out of the hands of people. Armadillo is a great place to do it. However you do lose your buy-in, but $25 is easily obtained.

Oh hey Riggswolfe said that.  awesome, for real

Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: May 21, 2010, 02:23:42 PM

Weird, I figured cheating at cards would have lost me honor, then winning the duel would regain the lost honor and then some. Though, I believe I'm off to the tailor for my new card playing suit once I get home knowing all this now.

Pennilenko
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: May 21, 2010, 09:51:24 PM

Expert was what I was using, by default. It doesn't snap, but there is some auto-aim. However the reticule isn't even explained until the second Marshal mission. In multiplayer there's a "circle" I assume means that's how much auto-aim you have with your weapon (anywhere the target is in the circle has a chance of being hit, but preferably you want it on the dot).

Similar problems exist in other games that implement auto-aim on manual aiming. Targets moving left to right affect the acceleration of your cursor. Also, aiming at a target downrange to have another valid target run in front of him will throw off your aim. This is one of the main reasons I wish I could shut off auto-aim so I have a consistent movement of my cursor.

I tried expert first, then normal. Then I realized how horrible I am with console style shooters, and the setting now resides on casual.

"See?  All of you are unique.  And special.  Like fucking snowflakes."  -- Signe
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #139 on: May 21, 2010, 10:55:14 PM

Bought it for the 360. Damn wife is watching a movie. Noooooooooo. Tomorrow the West is mine.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  
Jump to: