Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:37:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  (Read 134206 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

on: May 17, 2010, 10:57:03 AM

I'm looking for up to 7 other players to get our multiplayer posse on with Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer.

If you're interested in playing at the listed time, leave your Gamertag.

Also, taking humorous names for a Wild Western-themed gang. Bat Country but with a 1911 spin?

Game Details:
Free Roam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jgPSYtTFCI
Competitive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ_z-_4fF4Y
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:55:41 PM by Lorekeep »

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 12:31:42 PM

I might be game for that.  Probably going to be still working through the SP game though.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 01:01:44 PM

Sadly, I work nights and I'll be working for the next six days.  I'll probably play the SP for a few days first anyhow, but I'd be up for some MP pretty much any time next Monday or maybe a little bit between 11am - 3pm PST on Wed or Thurs.
RUiN 427
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 01:22:56 PM

If I'm on my xbox you can most definitely find me wandering red dead on free roam for the next 6 months

"There's been no energy reading of any sort on Cybertron for the past seven hundred or so stellar-cycles."
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 01:26:41 PM

I'll hit single player eventually, but I want to get my Sandbox on in their Free Roam world while the going's good.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:33:13 PM

Also, the reviews are finally out today and seem to be really good all around.  With 20 reviews out so far, it's sitting at 95 on Metacritic.  It should be noted that apparently most reviewers are only just now getting copies of the PS3 version to review.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 01:46:54 PM

Yeah I'll definitely be up for some multiplayer, but probably not right away as I want to explore solo a bit first and get the hang of things.

(LiveTag is Boot Stackhead)
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:21:59 PM

I'm assuming the multiplayer is limited to the system you buy it for.  IE, PS3 players just playing for PS3 players.  This is getting really good reviews (of course, all GTA4 got really good reviews also, but this looks more fun), so I may have to pull off some funding trickery to go buy this (just to hide the purchase, I'm doing OK  awesome, for real). 

-Rasix
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:44:43 PM

It would be nice if they made these things cross-platform, but alas, I did throw the 360 in the title for a reason. Then again if there are 8 of you that are PS3, hook on up.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 03:00:23 PM

They probably couldn't, even if they wanted to, due to technical differences and format owner's differences.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 03:01:27 PM

I'm up for the PS3 gang.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 03:58:48 PM

My son and I are having an argument.  He wants the xBox version, I want the PS3 version.  Opinions?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 04:03:00 PM

Beats me.  I haven't heard there are any significant differences yet.  I like using my PS3 a lot more than my 360, but the 360 is likely to have a larger multi community due to what I'm assuming is a larger install base (a more vile community, but let's face it, we're outgunned by the kiddos on any console).

I'd rather let the 360 stay off, but even here, I'll imagine the split will skew towards the 360.  undecided

-Rasix
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 17, 2010, 04:06:56 PM

Get both so you can both play at the same time. Unless the Xbox and PS3 are on the same TV.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 04:08:05 PM

My son and I are having an argument.  He wants the xBox version, I want the PS3 version.  Opinions?

PS3 version has a hideout the 360 does not.
PS3 version has an outfit the 360 does not.
Both online 'communities' are about the same.
Toss up at this point as to whether or not DLC will be equal (cost, content, etc).
I *think* you have to have an XLive Gold account to play the online component.  Could be wrong, though.  So if you DON'T have XLive Gold, you MIGHT have to sub up.  PS3 doesn't have any such animal.

Flip a coin?
Barter some extra yardwork or chores out of the 360 version?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 04:21:39 PM

I pre-ordered the 360 version since I had a good time with some people here playing GTA IV's multiplayer on the 360.

Oh, my gamertag is Velorath btw.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 04:32:18 PM

Thought about getting the PS3 version @ Amazon with that $20 gift card bit, but I just can't get fun out of a Rock* game :( Wish I could though.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 04:53:38 PM

One other thing in regards to PS3 vs. 360 is that from what I've read in a few places, it sounds like the PS3 version is using Gamespy servers for the multiplayer.  I was left with a bit of a bad impression of Gamespy from playing Borderlands online (on the PC).
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 04:58:46 PM

I have an inherent trust in the standardized multiplayer provided by 360. The freewheeling do-it-yourself of PS3 has always disappointed me.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 05:06:08 PM

Thought about getting the PS3 version @ Amazon with that $20 gift card bit, but I just can't get fun out of a Rock* game :( Wish I could though.

Why can't you?
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:38 PM

Because they aren't fun to me.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 05:41:02 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the GTA series.  IV is the only one I've ever actually bought and it was quite a slog to get through the main story.  RDR though from what I've read and seen in videos in a lot of ways seems more like a cross between Fallout 3 and Oregon Trail than it seems like R*'s previous work.  It seems like it's got the "wander across the land and stumble across stuff to do" that I enjoyed in Fallout, with some other sandboxy diversions like hunting and skinning animals in the wilderness or shooting birds.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 05:47:39 PM

It's one of the reasons I want to head to Multiplayer first before single player. I want to see how strong the sandbox holds up before being inserted into a story I know will interest me and keep me going. Everyone else will also be roughly the same skill level so that I'm not stumbling into MP and getting my ass shot off.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 06:31:30 PM

Because they aren't fun to me.

I haven't played the GTA series at all.  It wasn't a game aimed at me or my interests, so I never bought it.  I did buy Bully, though, which I liked.  Coming across unexpected corners of worlds is good, as is non-linearity in a game.

I love the western genre, though.  When I was a kid, my dream was to live in the 1800s and be a gunslinger or a pioneer or a injun fighter or a cowboy or a scout....  All those old western TV shows and movies and books had a big influence on me, I guess.  It seems weird to me that there are close to zero movies, tv shows and books now, given how popular it was.

I'm surprised that you aren't even going to give this one a shot, given how the reviewers are raving about it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 06:43:33 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 07:40:22 PM

I honestly don't care much for open world games where every bit of the world is largely the same thing. I enjoyed Fallout 3 but that's because there were themed areas and the dialogue in Each was better than the crap Rockstar calls "writing."

I'm struggling to think of other open world games I've enjoyed.

Bioware games do not count, they are on rails with minor deviation.

Reviewers like all sorts of shit.

But then, Velorath is right. Too busy playing LoL to have a Mexican tell me where I can see some big american titties.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 08:57:23 PM

I'm not a big fan of open world games either, I like the concept but in the end so many of them boil down to fetch quests and other things that don't show any sort of hand-crafted love. I really dislike the trend of single player games aping WoW and creating a world populated with "skin me 10 beavers" quests.

From what I've heard RDR is very similar to GTA, and the only GTA game I enjoyed was the DS one. On the other hand I am a sucker for Westerns. I'm very much wait and see on this. Of course the reviews are going to be glowing so I have to read between the lines and remember that "Oscar quality writing" means "soap opera quality writing if even."

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 09:10:19 PM

I'd have bought it if this open world contained a sub-theme beyond Western, like Steampunk, Horror (ala Deadlands), or Spaghetti (maybe Sukiyaki Western Django type).  Just having a plain ol' cliche western game appeals not to me, especially in an open world sense.  I'm curious about the SP Story though and how it plays.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 09:54:26 PM

Was mostly ignoring this until now. Someone gave me a second hand description of a trailer where the "hero" rides in to town, lassos a nun, takes her to the train tracks and ties her down so that the train runs over her. I was disgusted.

Gonna look for the 360 version tomorrow. Live Id is Bunktavious.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: May 18, 2010, 06:00:58 AM

I'm a little curious how they're going to make more than 4 weapons and not just have unlockable reskins. But I think I'll look around for this today.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: May 18, 2010, 06:13:33 AM

Is this one of the games that never come to the PC or one of the games that come to the PC in a year?

Because I'd hate to dust off my useless Xbox if I just have to wait.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 18, 2010, 06:49:33 AM

I think I made a mistake in letting my excitement get the better of me. I tried to go to sleep tonight and miss the midnight launch because I had to get up early. What ended up happening is that I couldn't sleep and now I'm on 2 hours of sleep.

Today is going to be caffeinated to the max.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #32 on: May 18, 2010, 07:06:38 AM

Is this one of the games that never come to the PC or one of the games that come to the PC in a year?

Because I'd hate to dust off my useless Xbox if I just have to wait.
I don't think they ever announce the ports well in advance of release. Given Rockstar's history, I'd probably wait if you would rather play it on PC. Worst that happens is you get it cheaper on the console and have a better idea of what kind of game it is.

I love westerns and Rockstar, so I'm excited for a PC version down the road somewhere.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #33 on: May 18, 2010, 07:26:40 AM

Anyone else getting it for PS3?
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: May 18, 2010, 07:44:04 AM

Anyone else getting it for PS3?

I will be
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Red Dead: Redemption a.k.a. How The West Was Fun  
Jump to: