Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:32:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173400 times)
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2730 on: April 13, 2010, 03:39:56 PM

Beat FF13 and really kinda wish I hadn't.  Really disappointed.  That game goes down the crapper really fast starting around chapter 10, and it never comes out.

I agree somewhat.  I enjoy the streamlined gameplay stuff, but the thing they really needed to streamline was the story.  It's 40-50 hours of characters having doubts followed by motivational speeches and renewing their pledges to protect Cacoon.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #2731 on: April 14, 2010, 09:53:55 AM

Miles Edgeworth:  Investigations.  Squee.

Bwahaha.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2732 on: April 14, 2010, 12:45:01 PM

I told you!  awesome, for real

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #2733 on: April 14, 2010, 11:15:20 PM

It is certainly a lot of fun.  But I do miss the courtroom scenes quite a bit....They gave variety, helped pacing, and were a nice reward for getting through the investigatory parts.

That said, I still love the game.  

And Miles is, of course, a badass.  Edgy, but certainly worthy of being the protagonist...  swamp poop
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2734 on: April 15, 2010, 06:02:48 AM

Took a short break from FFXIII to try our Resonance of Fate.  I squeed.  When I put FFXIII to bed, I'll be able to put RoF into the rotation with Shadowhearts 2 and WKC.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2735 on: April 15, 2010, 12:00:47 PM

I didn't get FFXIII but got Resonance of Fate because of you guys.  If it sucks, I'll just whinge, moan and complain.  Incidentally, the girl at the game shop is stuck in level 10 of FFXIII and seems very frustrated with it.  I want to get Borderlands, too, but should I just get it for the PC?  There's some kind of pack for the PC and not the consoles, right?  Also, is anyone playing Little Big Planet?  We can share!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2736 on: April 15, 2010, 12:47:01 PM

I'd think Borderlands is better for the PC.  I barely have the coordination for that.  I can't imagine trying to play it on a console.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #2737 on: April 15, 2010, 01:40:54 PM

Borderlands had pretty bad consolitis when it came out on PC.  I think they've patched it to the point where it's tolerable consolitis.  It's still an FPS, and so your best bet is PC.  When I got it, a few of my friends and I pitched in for the four pack on Steam.  I don't know if that's the deal you're talking about.

AKA Gyoza
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2738 on: April 15, 2010, 02:28:57 PM

Boderlands is actually quite playable on the consoles. Of course, it's a FPS, so unless you have specific reason to want to play it on console you're better off with PC. They just released a retail disc for console (not sure about PC) which has the first two DLC episodes on it.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
rrazcueta
Terracotta Army

Reply #2739 on: April 15, 2010, 02:32:31 PM

I have both the PC and PS3 versions of Borderlands. The console version of Borderlands has couch co-op. Also, it is retardedly easy with mouse/keyboard.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2740 on: April 15, 2010, 09:04:59 PM

So what's the score with FF13? I heard they just threw in the towel, stripped out the last RPG bits, and made it literally a linear succession of cutscenes and battles.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #2741 on: April 15, 2010, 09:59:24 PM

So what's the score with FF13? I heard they just threw in the towel, stripped out the last RPG bits, and made it literally a linear succession of cutscenes and battles.

It's a linear JRPG stripped down to it's bare essentials.  It opens up for a bit in chapter 11, but after that returns to it's formula.  There's character progression, roles, loot, vendors (well more of an abstraction).  No towns, no real exploring except for 11 (which you can return to post finish), and the level design is fairly uninspired.  The production values are like nothing that's been seen so far in a JRPG, and the story (while shitty and poorly explained) is driven well at the obvious expense of the other aspects.  It's an also-ran FF in my opinion, sitting well below 6 and 4, while keeping pace with 10, 12, and 7.  

If you're actually interested and not just drive-by trolling, read the threads here. I'm guessing you don't give a shit about spoilers.  The gamespot video review is fair and well done. Vanille is as annoying as they emphasize (Snow and Hope are MUCH worse).

Heh, didn't know you even owned a 360/PS3 or cared about JRPGs

-Rasix
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2742 on: April 15, 2010, 10:06:06 PM

There's still a lot of RPG'ish elements to it.  Weapon and accessory upgrading is so complicated you'll need a guide for anything beyond the basics.  The linearity of the areas reminds me somewhat of FFX (although it's been so long since I played that one that I could be misremembering how linear it was). 

I like the combat system, but like with a lot of RPG's I find that each section lasts too long and overstays its welcome.  Way too much filler in both the areas and the cutscenes.  It feels like they tried to stretch a 20 hour game max into 50 hours.  To be fair Dragon Age felt like that in spots also, but at least it didn't have annoying characters like Hope (who at least becomes somewhat better later on) and Vanille (who remains absolute shit throughout).  The guy with the Chocobo in his afro is one of the more interesting characters, but maybe a little over halfway through the story he's pretty much relegated to a line or two in each of the group cutscenes.

So the verdict for me is that the game is still very much an RPG.  It's just a very poorly written one that has a hard time recovering from that fact that they actively try to get you to dislike the characters through much of the game.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2743 on: April 16, 2010, 01:15:58 AM

Heh, didn't know you even owned a 360/PS3 or cared about JRPGs

I haven't really cared about JRPG since the SNES era, or rather the early PS1 era when FF7 pretty much singlehandedly turned me off the genre. If it weren't for my kid brother, the 360 would see zero use. Except for the occasional MMO and a handful of ancient and/or obscure single-player PC games, I don't really play that much anymore.

Well, I don't play that many titles. Most of the stuff I like is timesinky enough that I'm usually playing something. I'm basically completely lame. /ramble

wardeworth

Email
Reply #2744 on: April 16, 2010, 02:53:14 AM

I am currently playing with my XBOX and i love it.
I love to play action game, i am playing Mass Effect 2- it  is the highly anticipated sequel to Mass Effect. It is most amazing an action role-playing game i had ever played.
The most favorite thing of this game is In Mass Effect 2 the player has the opportunity to build a team of twelve at any one time.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2745 on: April 16, 2010, 04:04:29 AM

What do we have here? So far this guy has spammed about how swell Bioware, Apple, and Dell products are. Obviously none of those companies resort to these sort of shenanigans, so I can only assume he's "blending in" prior to mixing in his real shill.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2746 on: April 16, 2010, 06:11:43 AM

awesome, for real

Anyway...
Resonance of Fate
FFXIII
DCSS

Also...
WKC
LotRO

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #2747 on: April 16, 2010, 06:18:29 AM

I just bought Mount & Blade: Warband after kicking the tires on the demo. I've tried 5 different character builds, and I'm having the most success with high INT, medium CHA character that uses sword and board. I'm up to 60 soldiers, have my own village, and captured 3 lords for ransom.

Next move, political shakeups. Fiefs are no longer randomly assigned. You can perform missions within the ranks of the lords to gain favor, spit in the face of other lords to force duals with them that will lower their favor with the king, or you can try to romance daughters within the kingdom to solidify alliances with other lords.

Romance is pretty silly though. It mostly involves buying poems and saying them to the chick of your choice. Her favor goes up if her personality is in line with the type of poem that you learn.  It's simple, but less annoying than dancing your way to marriage in Pirates!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2748 on: April 16, 2010, 07:40:53 AM

I am currently playing with my PC and i love it.
I love to play strategy game, i am playing Fall from Heaven 2- it  is the highly anticipated sequel to Fall from Heaven. It is most amazing an fantasy strategy game i had ever played.
The most favorite thing of this game is In Fall from Heaven 2 the player has the opportunity to build a empire of the world at any one time.

I love the new "So, what're you playing?" format.
WayAbvPar

Reply #2749 on: April 16, 2010, 12:13:16 PM

It's simple, but less annoying than dancing your way to marriage in Pirates!

Quite a short list of items less annoying than that. It reads

EVERYYTHING EVER CREATED FOR ALL TIME

/end of list

I may have to check out Warbands. Does having an copy of the older version of M&B give any discounts?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #2750 on: April 16, 2010, 01:28:47 PM

We finally got in with last decade's game hardware and got a PS3. Picked up Resonance of Fate and a bunch of pre-owned games - Dragon Age Origins, Gran Turismo 5 Prologue, Little Big Planet, Oblivion GOTY Edition (because it was mistakenly priced like the standard edition).

I have mostly been playing GT5P so far.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #2751 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:33 PM

Still dabbling in Mount and Blade: Warband, but the economy being kind of wack, it feels like a day job maintaining the garrisons for your castles.

Playing the shit out of Orbis right now (the Fall From Heaven Modmod), and some Episodes from Liberty City.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2752 on: April 16, 2010, 04:31:39 PM

I'm thinking of going on a Splinter Cell marathon. I have the second game stashed somewhere, never installed, and the rest are available on Steam. Is this a bad idea?
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #2753 on: April 16, 2010, 08:54:46 PM

The new Sam and Max is excellent.  The end of season 2 was probably the peak of Telltale's catalog (including ToMI), but this seems to pick up right where they left off in terms of quality. 

Plus it's called The Penal Zone.  And they haven't even made a joke about that 3 hours into the game...which makes it even better.   Heart
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2754 on: April 16, 2010, 11:44:16 PM

I'll be playing that one soon, I think.  Normally I'd wait until it was on sale, but I wanted this fucking hat so bad.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2755 on: April 18, 2010, 01:23:31 AM

Sam & Max 301 completed, much  Heart. The songs on the jukebox were  awesome, for real.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #2756 on: April 18, 2010, 06:28:58 AM

Usual unexciting shit for me this weekend. Running around in Saboteur Free Range missions blowing up random watchtowers and searchlights and shit while watching the commentary tracks to Life On Mars. A bit of grinding in LotRO to get my Hunter (and my wife's Minstrel) up to 35 so I could get a mount, then lucked out and won the Spring one in the mail.

Also played a round of Scene It! and about an hour(?) of Wii Music. At least I can write the latter down as Personal Development.

Meh, feels like a wasted weekend. Didn't watch any DVDs, barely did any painting, still haven't finished Saboteur which would allow me to start something new on console. meh.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #2757 on: April 18, 2010, 07:17:47 AM

MAG is giving me an aneurysm. Heartbreak

Awesome potential, but the pain of getting anything done is too much for me. I mean jesus fucking christ, five medics run past me and nobody even pauses to consider reviving, even when it gives you double xp compared to a kill.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2758 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:49 AM

So I've been playing DDO for a week.   awesome, for real

I need to finish FFXIII since I'm at the last save point.  Then I can shelve it.  Then I can wait for Resonance of Fate to go cheap.
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #2759 on: April 19, 2010, 11:13:27 AM

Then I can wait for Resonance of Fate to go cheap.

This may not happen if the print run is really as small as I've heard.  It's already out of stock in some of the stores in my area.  It'll come down to if Sega reprints it or not.
Thrawn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2760 on: April 19, 2010, 11:13:56 AM

Getting around to playing Fallout 3.  Really enjoying the game although I was pretty worried about FPS Fallout.  Just wish it played a little nicer with Eyefinity (HUD problems and such is all, game itself displays nicely.)

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the Universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
Minvaren
Terracotta Army

Reply #2761 on: April 19, 2010, 05:20:56 PM

Still playing WoW - 24 quests before I get Loremaster on my main, and it'll probably take a back seat to other things after that.

Actually tinkering with Earth and Beyond via an emulator again.  Nostalgia city.   awesome, for real  Definitely wasn't the deepest game, but it's still pretty.

Now to figure out how to get the Jenquai (David Arkenstone) music out of the ".mix" files...  Probably easiest to loop output around to line in instead of messing with a proprietary file format, stereo quality should be fine.  Just have to park the ship somewhere quiet for awhile.

"There are many things of which a wise man might wish to remain ignorant." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2762 on: April 19, 2010, 07:44:05 PM

Been making attempts to play Bioshock 2 but I really can't get into it at all.  Just feels like a much less interesting retread of the first game.  Glad I borrowed this rather than pay for it.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2763 on: April 19, 2010, 08:00:15 PM

So I finally took a few hours and finished FFXIII tonight.  I'm gonna post my rant in the FFXIII thread but suffice it to say, fuck that game.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2764 on: April 20, 2010, 06:05:12 AM

Pretty sure League of Legends deserves a spot in my top ten games ever. I haven't finished Heavy Rain, FFXIII, God of War 3, Mass Effect 2, Baldur's Gate 2.5 (Ahem, Awakening), Uncharted 2 or anything else because of it. Probably approaching 1,000 hours played. Haven't even started Call of Pripyat or the Majesty expansion. Haven't bought a game since God of War 3.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: