Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gog.com  (Read 223581 times)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

on: April 20, 2010, 01:03:16 PM

Since we are talking about such things right now. Got an Email from Gog.

Right now Master of Orion 1+2 for 5,99
with Master of Magic coming soon.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 10:45:04 PM by Tebonas »
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 06:18:25 PM

with Master of Magic coming soon.

Do want.

I am the .00000001428%
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:31:27 PM

Isn't MoM abandonware?  I could have sworn I DLed it from somewhere...
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:46:08 PM

"Abandonware" is not a real concept, it's just a nice word for pirating old shit.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:20:04 PM

Orion 2. So many good memories of destroying Sakkra colonies with orbital lasers. They bred too fast. Hence I must deprive them of habitats...

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:23 PM

"Abandonware" is not a real concept, it's just a nice word for pirating old shit.

Yes.  These companies are just biding their time and one of these days, when you least expect it, they'll sue everyone on the internet!  I just know it! ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:44 PM

The packaging of Gog alone is worth the 5.99, even if the game itself is available for free from less reputable sources. Its a selfinstalling exe without the hassle of a Dosbox setup. Plus a manual and other gimmicks. Also, gog gives us things like Master of Magic, so I see the money as a fee for their continued survival.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 03:32:35 AM

Oh, sweet.  I've still got MOO2 but I lost MOO1 about 2 years after I bought MOO2.  Thanks!

As far as abandonware, some companies sold the rights or had them sold off as they were shuttered to pay off debit.  Some didn't and as they were closing released the games (but not the IP) to the public as freeware.  So, yeah, Margalis is spot-on.  Someone owns the rights to them, even if they're not exploiting those rights.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 11:43:34 AM

Orion 2. So many good memories of destroying Sakkra colonies with orbital lasers. They bred too fast. Hence I must deprive them of habitats...
Orbital lasers? Think bigger - stellar converter then build yourself a nice new planet from the resulting asteroid belt.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 11:49:52 AM

Oh, sweet.  I've still got MOO2 but I lost MOO1 about 2 years after I bought MOO2.  Thanks!

As far as abandonware, some companies sold the rights or had them sold off as they were shuttered to pay off debit.  Some didn't and as they were closing released the games (but not the IP) to the public as freeware.  So, yeah, Margalis is spot-on.  Someone owns the rights to them, even if they're not exploiting those rights.

Although abandonware isn't a legal term I think what people generally mean or at least think they mean is that the work has entered the public domain.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Although abandonware isn't a legal term I think what people generally mean or at least think they mean is that the work has entered the public domain.

Most abandonware isn't public domain.  It's just a term people use for software that is no longer sold or able to be retrieved through legal means due to age. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 03:54:50 PM

Orbital lasers? Think bigger - stellar converter then build yourself a nice new planet from the resulting asteroid belt.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Yeah, but sometimes they're on Gaia Artifact planets and you just don't want to take the time to rebuild.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: April 22, 2010, 01:50:42 AM

EDIT: Okay, Enigma is probably a patent, and it probably won't compile on an x86 or derivative. why so serious?

But AD&D 1st ED becomes public domain in 2054!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:09:06 AM by Sheepherder »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #13 on: April 22, 2010, 11:07:43 AM

EDIT: Okay, Enigma is probably a patent, and it probably won't compile on an x86 or derivative. why so serious?

But AD&D 1st ED becomes public domain in 2054!

http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:03:25 PM

Freespace 1+Expansion for $4.19.
Also Freespace 2, Descent 1+2 and Descent 3 for the same price.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 10:28:47 AM

Baldur's Gate 2 Complete just dropped over on GoG. I know I've been waiting for this with bated breath.

Proceed accordingly.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2010, 05:07:38 PM

I can tell you're excited, but use the search feature next time.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:41 PM

Hey guess what? I never played BG2 or BG1 for that matter.  Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: November 17, 2010, 06:27:03 PM

Hey guess what? I never played BG2 or BG1 for that matter.  Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Working yourself up for a post on Monday that will annoy everyone who loved/loves those games?

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 06:31:40 PM

Should I start with BG1 or BG2?
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 17, 2010, 08:32:17 PM

The second one wont make much sense if you skip the first one.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 17, 2010, 11:00:48 PM

My advice would be find one of the mods that lets you play BG1 in the BG2 engine, and do that, and a high res mod too. Native BG1 really pushes the limits of my old technology tolerance.

koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 02:09:52 AM

The second one wont make much sense if you skip the first one.
I played BG2 first (since I had no PC when BG1 came out), and I honestly had little problem following the story with how it related to BG1. Some things (namely cameos of BG1 characters like Xzar, Tiax, and Kivan) were a little less clear, but by and large it was fine. Everything relating to the first game that's important is told to you.

Though now with BG1 being so easily available there's no reason not to start with it. Just don't start BG1 as a Mage.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 03:50:49 AM

Play BG1, then Tales of the Sword Coast (BG1 expansion), then BG2, then Throne of Bhaal (BG2 expansion). Generate your character(s) at the start of BG1 and carry them all the way through the entire game intact.

S'what I did during university.

Also, protip: Stockpile the living fuck out of the fireball arrows you can get in BG1. You can't find any more in BG2, but if you import your character, the arrows are still there and still usable. Great stuff in crowd fights, so long as you use them cautiously.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 12:09:47 PM

Neat idea, what's wrong with mages in bg1?

Are they weak or does another mage join the party later making it overkill?

Will the mods to enhance the graphics fuck up importing chars?
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 18, 2010, 12:19:31 PM

You have 4 hps at level 1, and like 2 magic missiles, if you're lucky, between rest periods.  You are the glass cannon without the cannon portion at the low levels that BG1 takes place in.  Between that, and some early dick encounters (that stupid fight at the inn and kobold commandos anywhere), pretty much gets you killed often.

edit:  I can't remember, is this also one of the games where you inexplicably instantly lose if the main character drops?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 12:23:03 PM by Ard »
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: November 18, 2010, 12:57:31 PM

Like Ard said, you have only 4 HP at level 1. The assassins in Candlekeep using simple daggers are able to one-shot you 25% of the time when they hit.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 01:03:11 PM

As I recall, sleep is rediculously powerful.

You should be making your own party anyway!

I did play as a mage, mostly because the mage options suck pretty hard in BG1. That, and I just loved mages.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:09:53 PM by bhodi »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 01:05:41 PM

Neat idea, what's wrong with mages in bg1?

Are they weak or does another mage join the party later making it overkill?

Will the mods to enhance the graphics fuck up importing chars?

BG1 starts at level 1.  So, as expected, mages are very fragile and of limited use.  I don't remember who my mage was in BG1.  But, I did have one because..  Spinning star :star:HASTE Spinning star Spinning star.

BG2 is basically a super sized version of BG2.  More classes, more quests, and just a grander scope, although this leads to the story not being as tight as 1.  Some people may like the lower level game of AD&D, but I like it when you start turning into an unstoppable, scary death machine.  You hit that pretty fast in BG2, while in BG1 you find yourself getting killed by lizardmen.  

Both excellent games, and despite liking BG2 more (mostly due to the refinement aspects), you should probably give BG1 a go first.  You'll get a better apprecation for the series.  Tales of the Sword Coast.. I can't even remember it.  Guess that makes it optional.  awesome, for real

As I recall, sleep is rediculously powerful.

You should be making your own party anyway!

This isn't Icewind Dale.  I actually like the characters/party interaction. You get more of this in 2.  Variety could be improved, I remember wishing a lot of time that I had a specific class/spec available. 

Every time I tried creating my own party, I never made it out of the intro.   undecided  Guess I just missed Imoen.   
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:08:44 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 02:22:52 PM

I'd definitely recommend using one of the solutions that imports BG1 files into the BG2 engine simply because it will allow you to get yourself a bottomless bag of holding.  Inventory space was one of the main annoyances I remember from BG1, and one of the reasons I didn't replay it after playing BG2 until I finally found one of those conversion mods.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 02:56:41 PM

Import BG1 content into the BG2 engine with the BG Tutu mod. It doesn't touch your BG2 install, or even your BG1 install unless you tell it to. Then tweak it with the Tweak Pack.

The latter exists as an executable that you put in the folder of either BG Tutu or BG2. It'll prompt you for each individual change, sensing where it is and automatically skipping ones that don't apply to the game being modded. Individual changes can be easily undone by running the mod again and just selecting uninstall for whatever you don't want anymore. The tweaks that let ammo/gems/etc stack in unlimited quantities are a godsend.

If you're playing good, be an Inquisitor. The "dispel magic X times per day as if double your current level" is goddamn indispensable. If you're playing evil, use the Tactics mod to add the Anti-Paladin kit and use that for the same reason. Ignore the rest of the Tactics mod, because it's basically just there to make the game super hard for people who have been playing it forever.

If you haven't played before, do NOT make your own party from scratch. Just create the protagonist and meet the rest of the party on your own. All the banter and shit between characters is half the fun. I only went with an all-created party in the Nythrax thing because I, and my intended audience, had all finished memorizing the usual banter ten years ago.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 04:59:52 PM

Thanks for the instructional, you just prompted me to buy BG1 again (I can see the discs on my desk now) and also BG2.

As if I have time. Ohhhhh, I see.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 05:18:28 AM

GoG is stepping into the new game arena, maybe they will change their name to GonG?

Witcher 2 preorder.

http://www.gog.com/en/page/tw2_preorder
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 05:39:23 AM

Yes, saw that half an hour after preordering on Steam. A real pity  ACK!
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 05:49:32 AM

It's going to be hilarious if they decide they need additional online activations or the like on the steam version why so serious?

GOG actually will end up profiting from my paranoia on this one, as I was going to check with valve what kind of DRM was really going to be on there (if any) before I took the plunge myself. I just hadn't gotten that far yet, which means I'm now going to reward GOG for being cool guys as soon as I get home.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Gog.com  
Jump to: