Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:38:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Predators 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Predators  (Read 21298 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

on: March 18, 2010, 06:21:41 PM

Trailer

hmmm... cast looks appealing, and Robert Rodriguez. Adrien Brody makes me wonder though.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:00:55 PM

That preview looks pretty badass actually and it's got some good actors in it. I wonder if Adrien Brody's line was metaphorical or not? "This planet is a game preserve and we are the game." It'd be kind of neat if it turns out they're on an Earth-like planet that humans are bred on so Predators can go on safari.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:03:03 PM

Close.  The premise is that potential prey species are abducted and dumped on a "training" world so the Predators can refine their skills against them.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:36:42 PM

That's cool and all, but I wish they hadn't spoiled it in the trailer.

Looks badass though. 'Bout time.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:11 PM

Topher Grace playing "a disgraced physician and a serial killer formerly on the FBI's most wanted list"?. How the hell did he get a part in this. Unless he dies in the first 10 minutes I think I'll pass.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 10:26:56 PM by MuffinMan »

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 01:36:13 AM

Ahhhh, a reboot.

About time.

Looks good.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 02:02:17 AM

Ahhhh, a reboot.

About time.

Looks good.

Not a complete reboot.  It's supposed to take place right after the first movie.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 02:53:58 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Rodriguez is making a hell of a bold claim with that title? I mean the clear implication is that this would be to the original Predator as Aliens was to the original Alien. That is to say, totally fucking awesome and quite possibly superior to an original that was already awesome in its own right. That's ballsy, and Rodriguez is savvy enough to know exactly what he's saying with that title.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 03:35:26 AM

You're not the only one, WUA.  That's the exact inference I made with the title and thought it was beyond ballsy and into foolishness.  I don't expect this to turn out as anything more than typical current Hollywood action shlock.  Vibrant, loud, fluffy and ultimately forgettable.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 19, 2010, 03:55:29 AM

Ahhhh, a reboot.

About time.

Looks good.

Not a complete reboot.  It's supposed to take place right after the first movie.

No I get that.  I mean wiping the stain of the AVP off.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 03:56:49 AM

Am I the only one who thinks Rodriguez is making a hell of a bold claim with that title? I mean the clear implication is that this would be to the original Predator as Aliens was to the original Alien. That is to say, totally fucking awesome and quite possibly superior to an original that was already awesome in its own right. That's ballsy, and Rodriguez is savvy enough to know exactly what he's saying with that title.

Gripping hand;  what if it works ?

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 04:34:07 AM

Premise wise he's on the right track of going more balls out actiony. I'll guess it's going to come down to how well the characters react to one and another and whether they can get any other storylines in there without using a giant crowbar. Newt and the underlying Company stuff in Aliens worked and stopped it being just a mindless (albeit awesome) action film, I'm not sure if there's room for anything like that with this beyond some sort of love interest thing between two of them? Which is going to be fucking hard to not have scream "We didn't just want to blow stuff up!"

Of course it might just be 90 minutes of people getting killed by Predators in awesome ways, which I would be ok with.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 08:16:40 AM

Of course it might just be 90 minutes of people getting killed by Predators in awesome ways, which I would be ok with.

There's wasn't much more to the original than that, IMO - Arnold's character really didn't have a lot of depth to him, nor did any of the others. It was just so new and fresh at the time that we all loved it (and still do). Remember, Rodriguez is only producing, not directing, so it's not a sure thing that it'll be good. But they've already gone the proper direction by 1) taking it off Earth, 2) casting good actors in the roles, 3) ignoring the AVP atrocities. That bit at the end where Brody has one of the Predator triangle laser lights on him and then a billion others start dotting his body awesome. I'm definitely psyched about this.

sickrubik
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 09:51:17 AM

As a point of clarification, Rodriguez did not direct the flick. A gentleman by the name of Nimrord Antal did.

I always waffle on Rodriguez. He can do great stuff and also awful. The only thing I've seen of Antal's is Vacancy, which was ... less than good. I'm hoping this is better. Good cast at least.

beer geek.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:38 AM

Antal's a pretty famous director in Hungary (lol). I think his best work to date is Kontroll (warning -- the movie may contain extreme amounts of beret)

Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 03:52:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBv4AsGVDxw

Arnold loves the new trailer and approves of it Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?.
Meester
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 04:14:41 AM

The current AvP movies need to be wiped from existence so someone can make a decent film about it based on the games and books/magazines instead of the current pile of vomit.

Predator is one of my favourite movies shame Predator 2 had Danny Glover single handedly defeat a Predator which was a bit unreleastic.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 05:07:55 AM

Predator 2 wasn't on the same level as Predator or Aliens, but it wasn't bad and didn't embarass the series. If the AvP movies had been as good, I would have been pleasantly surprised.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 05:40:48 AM

This looks like ass. Fishburne looks like he'd rather eat the predator than shoot him, and none of the humans knows how to handle a rifle. I loved the chick pulling the scope back until it was wedged in her eye socked. This movie will have to work pretty hard to get above AvP2, and there's no way it's going to be better than AvP. These franchises need to find a new home where someone will use the right setting for them. I realize forrests and suburban neighborhoods are cheap sets, but that's not really the place to get the most out of either aliens or predator.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 10:42:38 AM

I found the following tidbet of information on AvP2 to be surprising:

"Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem was released on December 25, 2007, and received a largely negative response from film critics. The film grossed $9.5 million on its opening day and took in a worldwide gross of almost $130 million in theaters. According to Home Media Magazine, the film debuted at #1 in sales and rentals on Blu-ray and #2 on DVD when it was released on home video on April 15, 2008. Since then, the film has gained $28,550,434 in home video sales, bringing its total film gross to $157,461,400."

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 01:24:48 PM

This looks like ass. Fishburne looks like he'd rather eat the predator than shoot him, and none of the humans knows how to handle a rifle. I loved the chick pulling the scope back until it was wedged in her eye socked. This movie will have to work pretty hard to get above AvP2, and there's no way it's going to be better than AvP.

Work hard to better AvP/AvP2? I think you and I have differing opinions on hard work. Watching Adrien Brody slam his own dick in a refrigerator door to prevent Laurence Fishburne getting at the snacks would be scintilating in comparison. AvP ranks among the worst things I have ever seen commited to film and you would literally have to nail me down to force me to watch AvP2. Predators may at least have an idea what it's IP is about.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 03:04:53 PM

AvP not ALLL that bad.

AvP2 - Well, I'd say it was atrocious, except it was shot by the same guy that did the lighting for Doom 3, so I didn't see all that much of it.

(But seriously, it was total ass and made a fucking mockery of the Aliens AND the Predators by squeezing them into different shapes for the sake of the film.  Which you then couldn't see, it was so dark.)

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 10:26:20 AM

AvP was hilarious if not for the fact that they killed off about 80% of the cast in the first 10 minutes of the movie.

It wasn't great, but it doled up predator badassery which is always welcome.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 10:52:04 AM

I watched The Asylum's mockbuster riff on AvP:R last night, AVH: Alien vs Hunter. Currently at a smokin' 1.6/10 and near the bottom 10 of the IMDB bottom 100 - At the very least, you could see what was going on. Which puts it mildly ahead of the AvP franchise, to be honest.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 11:06:19 AM

I don't see how introducing multiple Predators will help, unless they are ignoring Predator 2 as well. Solo predator gets defeated by prey, the prey is recognized as a predator and the other predators leave him the fuck alone.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 02:52:56 PM

I heard a BBC interview with Ridley Scott a few months back (might have been Mayo) and he was politely disparaging of AvP, but confrmed there was an Alien prequel coming.  They had to "remove" the AvP timeline from the "franchise".  Or something to that effect.
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 05:24:30 PM

I went to this today and I enjoyed it a lot.  No more of this Alien vs. Predator crap.  Reminds me more of the 1st predator film, which is a good thing imo.  Great cast, gorey violence (one dude had his whole spinal cord ripped out, head and all, while he was still alive) and lots of action.  Adrien Brody also surprised me on how well he handled the action sequences, though sometimes I couldn't get past how huge his nose looked in some shots.  Great movie.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 10:30:49 PM

Great movie to watch in a crowd. Everyone there was into it. Thankfully, this one had a tone similar to the original, right down to the score. Good times.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 02:00:14 AM

Good first half, rather limp second half.  Second half being after Morpheus turns up.

If you liked Predator, you'll love this remake.

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 02:20:43 AM

Not a bad movie, not brilliant but not bad. Worth seeing at any rate. Our cinema's sound was off and every now and then the combat noises would go to silence before starting again on the next gun shot.

Only 2 minor problems
It was no Aliens, but it was much much better than any of the AvP movies.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 02:44:21 AM

Seriously, don't start, it's not worth it.  There were SOooooooo Many plot holes we could fill up 12 pages.

Me, I just switched my brain off.

awesome, for real

Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 04:48:45 PM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 02:48:44 AM

That's actually really cool.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #33 on: July 12, 2010, 09:22:33 AM

Saw this last night, really enjoyed it.  It certainly could have been better, and had some plot holes, but overall a good addition to the predators franchise (and it can pretend the AvP stuff never happened).  Some of the fights could have been better (I thought the final fight between the two predators could have been awesome, with them using all their super tricks against each other, but instead they just bull charged each other and beat each other like cavemen), but overall the hunted aspect of the first one was there, and it was fun.

I kind of got the impression from the editing though that there are probably a lot of deleted scenes to this, and more than one ending shot..
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:31:08 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: July 12, 2010, 10:29:38 AM

Yeah, the trailer suggested as much.  Wasn't there something in the trailer where he had red dots ALL OVER HIM ?

No such scene in the movie I watched....

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Predators  
Jump to: