Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:00:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 March Madness? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 March Madness?  (Read 20490 times)
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #35 on: March 20, 2010, 05:38:32 PM

Tournament has been absolutely glorious so far.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #36 on: March 20, 2010, 07:11:47 PM

Holy Shit, Kansas. I think that killed the brackets of about half the folks here.

I'm completely done, but I don't care.  Watching Kansas lose to UNI was well worth it.

Amen. Totally worth it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #37 on: March 22, 2010, 07:04:29 AM

Georgetown, Vandy and Marquette may have skullfucked my bracket.

This.

I had Pitt going way too far too. I think I can win my bracket if OSU and Baylor make it to Final Four, and Kentucky wins it all.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #38 on: March 22, 2010, 07:49:06 AM

I think for the 3 guys left who haven't picked a team that's already knocked out in the bracket, if their team doesn't win it, it's wide open again. If Duke, Syracuse or West Virginia win, whoever picked them wins. If all of those teams are knocked out, it's up in the air again.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 07:55:42 AM

I think that this year looks like a perfect opportunity for Duke to win.  Kentucky is really the only team that I see giving them fits. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 07:59:28 PM

Re: Duke, against a team that can actually match their size I think they will lose if Scheyer is as cold as he was against my Bears (1 for 11.)

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 02:06:48 PM

Still another 87 minutes of work before I head home to watch the games and I am already getting a little nauseous and want to pace around the office.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 09:58:39 PM

Well, fuck. Not unexpected, but disappointing nontheless. Still decent season. I think Butler is my new fav team.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 10:17:50 PM

I scored a ticket to the Elite 8 game so was hoping Syracuse v. K State, but at least it wasn't Butler v. Xavier.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #44 on: March 26, 2010, 07:13:34 PM

Damn Ohio State couldn't make a shot to save their ass all night.  Set up the fucking play already, dammit.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 08:24:01 PM

Wow, Tennessee is playing great defense.  First time in the Elite Eight!
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 28, 2010, 04:08:38 PM

Ugh, fuck Duke.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #47 on: March 28, 2010, 04:38:13 PM

Spartans have an underrated coach and solid team, even without Lucas. They seem to know how to pull out W's.

Should be a fun final four.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: April 05, 2010, 08:42:35 PM

Bleh. If that half-court heave goes in at the end one of the greatest stories in basketball history. Now, pfft.

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #49 on: April 05, 2010, 08:56:39 PM

Duke, bitches.  awesome, for real

I'm mostly happy because I win $45 in my work pool.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #50 on: April 05, 2010, 09:44:02 PM

Duke winning solidifies this as a random and forgettable tournament. In two years, we've gone from all #1's making the final four to complete grabassery. Was it a decent national championship? Sure, Butler stayed in the game...because Duke let them. There was no time on the court where I went, "Wow! This Butler team is better!"

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: April 06, 2010, 06:43:40 AM

I think that this year looks like a perfect opportunity for Duke to win.  Kentucky is really the only team that I see giving them fits. 

Like I said...

I enjoyed the tourney.  Seeing two 5 seeds make it to the final 4 was a nice twist. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #52 on: April 06, 2010, 07:42:01 AM

Butler had every chance to win that game. They were doing a decent job rebounding and keeping Duke off-balance. Duke just happened to be the better team, a more talented team. Had Duke played against Butler like they played against West Virginia, it wouldn't have been close.

It's the same as in college football. The big, traditionally successful schools all too often beat the shit out of the lesser known schools. But at least Butler got there - I don't see a school that size making a BCS National Championship.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: April 06, 2010, 10:05:15 AM

It's the same as in college football. The big, traditionally successful schools all too often beat the shit out of the lesser known schools. But at least Butler got there - I don't see a school that size making a BCS National Championship.

It's a lot easier to field a team of 7-10 players than 40+.  Football is a whole different animal for the small schools. 

-  Mark Twain
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 10:06:29 AM

The score is misleading. Butler played poorly. They only shot 35% from the field and had two starters go 0/8 from 3-point range. I keep thinking of a 4-on-2 fast break towards and end where one of the Butler players decided to pull back and shoot a three, which he bricked. As much as I wanted them to win, Butler's game was defined by poor decision making.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #55 on: April 08, 2010, 09:26:33 AM

So long.. entire Kentucky roster.    I wonder how long the Kentucky fans are going to put up with this.  Of course, he's going to get a John Wall/Derrick Rose/Tyreke Evans caliber player every year, which will make them just good enough to not win it all.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 09:39:58 AM

So long.. entire Kentucky roster.    I wonder how long the Kentucky fans are going to put up with this.  Of course, he's going to get a John Wall/Derrick Rose/Tyreke Evans caliber player every year, which will make them just good enough to not win it all.

I don't see what's wrong with this.  The kids see their value peaking and want to turn it into a financial career.  When you attract highly skilled, scholarship athletes this is one of the potential pitfalls.  The fans should see this as a value-added feature of their program.  Good ball players will go to Kentucky even more now as they see it as a pipeline to enter the NBA.

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #57 on: April 08, 2010, 09:47:21 AM

Well, my problem with it is that before, the kids like Wall would go straight to the NBA out of high school (a la Lebron) but most would go for at least 2-3 years in the college game. As it is, you have Kallipari recruiting entire teams worth of one and done players. They are the best players in the country, but it turns the program on its ear every year. It's turned the NCAA tourney from a showcase of future stars to a whole bunch of mediocre teams competing with future NBA bench warmers.

Rasix

Reply #58 on: April 08, 2010, 09:52:06 AM

Nothing wrong (how are you going to tell college student it's in his best interest to pass up millions?), it's just the system.  One and done rule is a waste now for the college game.  I imagine David Stern loves it, but the college basketball fan would probably rather see these kids just go straight to the NBA.  What Calipari is doing is similar to what we had at Arizona, but just on a larger (and more immediate) scale. 

Kentucky wants national championships. The superstar player gets you close, just not there.  I wonder if they're going to regret hiring Cal in the long run, but at least he isn't Billy Gillespie. 

This oddly makes me hate Duke less.  ACK!

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 09:53:35 AM

Well, my problem with it is that before, the kids like Wall would go straight to the NBA out of high school (a la Lebron) but most would go for at least 2-3 years in the college game. As it is, you have Kallipari recruiting entire teams worth of one and done players. They are the best players in the country, but it turns the program on its ear every year. It's turned the NCAA tourney from a showcase of future stars to a whole bunch of mediocre teams competing with future NBA bench warmers.

My solution is to create an NBA farm system.  Players of the highest caliber should be earning a living at the game rather than pretending to not be taking money while simultaneously pretending to be college students.  

-  Mark Twain
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #60 on: April 08, 2010, 10:44:30 AM

My solution is to create an NBA farm system.  Players of the highest caliber should be earning a living at the game rather than pretending to not be taking money while simultaneously pretending to be college students.  

This is my biggest issue. Agree.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #61 on: April 08, 2010, 11:36:39 AM

I agree as well. I actually like the Euro footbally system that lets teenagers sign professional contracts and get paid for playing football. The NCAA is such a bunch of hypocritical fuckheads - kids can be paid for playing sports without damaging their status as student athletes.

Rasix

Reply #62 on: April 08, 2010, 11:47:42 AM

Presumably the NBA's D league should function as a farm system.  However, the NBA wouldn't want to do this.  One-and-doners are free marketing for the NBA.  They get an entire college season to build up the next NBA superstar and hype the draft.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #63 on: April 08, 2010, 06:14:03 PM

The NBA players collectively bargained for one-and-done because the mass influx of young talent out of highschool would shut out the older and higher paid players. The year in college inevitably exposes a few players who can't get the same cred and same money they would normally have gotten coming straight into the league. All this is good for the established player and his money.

The owners don't mind one-and-done either because it's a better evaluation point of a guy's potential talent. They get a free look at a guy without having to pay for a year on their team at high dollar amounts.

The NCAA doesn't mind one-and-done because they get massive hype in the actual tournament, where they make 90% of all their television revenues every year.

The players don't mind one-and-done because they don't need to win games for their team; they just have to look good doing it. There's no reason for them to rely on anyone else for their success.

The problem is that this attitude of following the quick money isn't working. CBS is losing their ass on the TV deal, because they totally overbid for it, and they want more revenue for their payment. Instead of letting CBS go, the NCAA wants to keep their cash cow by putting 96 teams into the tournament for more games. It's just a band-aid for the real issue that the NCAA is spending entirely too much for these programs, with most of the NCAA basketball teams in the non-football powerhouses essentially supporting the rest of their entire athletic program.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #64 on: April 08, 2010, 08:55:39 PM

The idea of a 96 team bracket is  swamp poop ACK! to the extreme. I can only imagine the travesties of seeding and the slapdash nature of those first round games with that many more teams.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: April 08, 2010, 09:01:11 PM

The idea of a 96 team bracket is  swamp poop ACK! to the extreme. I can only imagine the travesties of seeding and the slapdash nature of those first round games with that many more teams.

Imagine how awesome the NIT will be!   why so serious?

-  Mark Twain
EWSpider
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 04:40:48 AM

Imagine how awesome the NIT will be!   why so serious?

I can't wait to see all those 4 - 25 teams battling on the hardwood.

most often known as Drevik
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 05:05:48 PM

They could always go with the college bowl logic and send almost half their teams to the tournament. Why stop at 96? Why not add the entire extra round for everyone and go 128? Better yet, let's play some #1's against the best high school teams from each state first.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 07:20:16 PM

Fuck all that. At the end of the season, all the conf champions meet up and play a game of HORSE to see who plays in the final game.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 March Madness?  
Jump to: