Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:31:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 March Madness? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2010 March Madness?  (Read 20488 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: March 12, 2010, 07:59:15 AM

Usually someone around here does a March Madness thing. Anyone want to set one up?

WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:35:32 AM

I will see if I can get my ass moving on it after the selection show this weekend.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:00:06 AM

Bracket Contest

Password is f13bc. Come one, come all! 3 brackets allowed per person. Scoring system- Seed number is added to the win total (ie add 12 points if a 12 seed wins). That should make for lots of upset picks and some topsyturvy leaderboards.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 10:02:48 AM by WayAbvPar »

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
trotski
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:27:30 AM

In fo' this. Go Rebs! 2nd round will be  ACK!

Xbox live: trotski44
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:58:25 AM

Yeehaw, another year of me guessing my picks based off of cool school names, and names I remember Bill Knight mentioning on my way to work listening to Mike & Mike.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:41:04 AM

Wonder what the bracket will look like when it goes to 96 teams. That said, I can't stand college basketball anymore and really wonder why kids even play considering a leap from HS to PRO nets you major money without the silly educational requirement.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 11:54:00 AM

Wonder what the bracket will look like when it goes to 96 teams. That said, I can't stand college basketball anymore and really wonder why kids even play considering a leap from HS to PRO nets you major money without the silly educational requirement.

Because there are 15 players on an NBA roster, and 30 teams. That's a whopping 450 players. There are something like ~350 division I basketball teams, if you figure 12ish players per team then I would hope the math becomes obvious as to why everyone doesn't just go pro right off the bat.

Also you say it like you're assuming most college athletes don't want the education and that's just not true.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 03:20:15 PM

Right now? Because they have to for at least a year.  Some have chosen to instead play in Europe, which has worked out for some and not for others.  For a guy like Jennings (stiffed UofA /grumble), he still got drafted and is doing quite well.  There's some other cases, where high school players have gone to Europe, made some decent cash and have been branded as immature shitbags and thus are pissing away their chance at a lucrative NBA contract.  Someone may still take a chance on them, but I think going to college and beating up on the lesser talent probably gives you a better chance of a higher draft pick.

Personally, I wish they'd just get rid of the requirement to be out of HS for a year.  I don't care about the NBA as is, and all of the one-and-dones have really hosed the Pac 10.

As for another reason why you wouldn't?  A lot of 18 year old kids aren't done developing.  Sure, someone like Lebron came into the league with an NBA ready body, but a lot of high schoolers aren't going to be prepared physically for the jump.  Also, you better be sure you're a first rounder (and a high one at that).  Expectations, salaries, playing time, and potential are limited if you're not selected high.  It's just the way it seems to work out in the NBA as they've gotten pretty good at assessing American talent (Euros they're still having problems with).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 03:23:46 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 03:37:44 PM

Christ, my beloved Bucs are up against KENTUCKY first round. 
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:05:57 PM

That comment was off the hip so take it with a grain of salt. I think pro-sports should require a degree, especially those on scholarships - but that's for another time. I pick the Spiders to win it all!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:13:45 PM

I'm in. My picks will probably change over the next few days, but then the games don't start til Thursday, right?

As for college basketball vs. pro, I really think they need to require 2 years of college ball before being drafted IF they go to school at all. This one and done shit is idiotic. Either draft them out of high school when they are really too young, or make them do two years in a college program (or a pro league in Europe).

Of course, my views on college athletics are colored by the fact that it's a hypocritical system built to enrich a minority of big schools by exploiting these kids who can't even legally get paid for the money they are pouring into college coffers. But what do I know?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:29:56 PM

Of course, my views on college athletics are colored by the fact that it's a hypocritical system built to enrich a minority of big schools by exploiting these kids who can't even legally get paid for the money they are pouring into college coffers. But what do I know?

I blame the Big 10.

Because it sucks and is boring at everything it does.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 02:49:50 PM

Ah.  Having multiple brackets filled out is the only way to go.  Top my #2 bracket... 583 max points and a Pac10 v. Mountain West final.  GO AZTECS!

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:43:16 PM

I blame the Big 10.

Because it sucks and is boring at everything it does.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 06:44:12 PM

Hmm, filled out my brackets and saved yesterday. Then went back to tweak today and they don't pull up.

EDIT: NM, had a script off.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:12:04 PM

Great- the fucking Irish already fucked my brackets.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 12:17:20 PM

Poor RMU.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 12:18:52 PM

Yeah...I knew Villanova would choke, but didn't think it would be in the first round. No way they get past 16 though.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 02:35:05 PM

Go Murray State!  Compelled to pick them for obvious reasons.

-Rasix
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 02:52:31 PM

Wooo, perfect through 7 games.  I'm sure the suckage will start momentarily.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 03:12:33 PM

Go Murray State!  Compelled to pick them for obvious reasons.

Damn, that hurt me.

WayAbvPar

Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 04:15:37 PM

Had Murray State too. Yay! So glad the games as a whole are a lot closer this year. Last year the whole tourney was a chalky snoozer. Just quit BC2 so I can start pacing around the house for the UW game. LOVE MM.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 04:48:37 PM

Thanks for laying a huge 2nd half egg UTEP. I was starting to get a big head.

-H.L. Mencken
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 06:32:28 PM

WTF Georgetown?

-H.L. Mencken
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 08:04:57 PM

WTF Georgetown?

Ha I was just coming to post this word for word.

Some fantastic games today. Glad I took the day off as a holy day.

Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 02:54:56 AM

At least they got the madness part correct this year.  awesome, for real

edit: Fuck you St. Mary's for crushing my dream.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 08:24:45 AM by 01101010 »

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 08:12:08 AM

Georgetown, Vandy and Marquette may have skullfucked my bracket.

WayAbvPar

Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 08:19:41 AM

Georgetown just ruined all of mine. I had them in the Elite 8 in every single bracket I filled out, and I think I had them in the Final 4 in one. On a more cheerful note, I am in first place after the first day. This is easily the latest I have ever held that distinction  awesome, for real

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 08:40:14 AM

I can probably take solace in that if Duke somehow manages to win the whole thing, I will win as no one else in either this contest or the pool I have at work has picked them to win.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 11:02:33 AM

Anyone else finding it immpossible to get the HD player from cbs today?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 12:09:39 PM

WTF Villanova?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:09 PM

Holy crap is the Big East laying a gigantic egg this year.

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 03:38:50 PM

I am now cheering for UNI in hopes that they knock off Kansas. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 05:07:16 PM

Holy Shit, Kansas. I think that killed the brackets of about half the folks here.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 05:07:52 PM

Holy Shit, Kansas. I think that killed the brackets of about half the folks here.

I'm completely done, but I don't care.  Watching Kansas lose to UNI was well worth it.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: 2010 March Madness?  
Jump to: