Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:12:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT]  (Read 413123 times)
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #665 on: May 06, 2010, 10:37:43 AM

Was that a stealth edit or does the forum automatically prevent DS from being mentioned?

It's clearly to stop plagiarism.  We wouldn't want him suing the site out of existence for improper use of his name, would we?
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #666 on: May 06, 2010, 10:49:37 AM

To name him is to summon him, to summon him is to doom us all.

The howls of a thousand hells rides on his heels, and his sycophantic minions of syphilitic decay scurry with him.

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #667 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:03 AM

Ohhhhh, I see.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #668 on: May 06, 2010, 11:26:37 AM

I wasn't aware He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named had minions.  Maybe they are instead correctly referred to as sock puppets?
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #669 on: May 06, 2010, 11:56:55 AM

plagiarism's okay now

brb off to make Planet of Combatcraft
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #670 on: May 06, 2010, 12:56:44 PM

You should make Algenon: The Plagiarning instead.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #671 on: May 06, 2010, 07:45:01 PM

Holy crap, that is literal plagiarism.
No, no he changed the tense there, see. It's not literal.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #672 on: May 07, 2010, 03:05:49 AM

Last week I received an e-mail from Alganon, announcing their launch.

I thought I'd share this:

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," Serek Dmart continued. "In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story

Good stuff, eh?

I wonder how long it will be until he accuses SWTOR of stealing his ideas.

At first I thought maybe that e-mail might have been some sort of joke or something, but it's right there on the fucking website also.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #673 on: May 07, 2010, 06:22:54 AM

SWTOR faq:

Traditionally MMOs are built on three pillars; Exploration, Combat, and Progression. We at BioWare and LucasArts believe there is a fourth pillar: Story.

Alganon official press release, on their website, April 28th, 2010:

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," Serek Dmart continued. "In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story."

I had to double check it myself. I still find it hard to believe he is that amount of idiocy. Unless he coined that phrase, wore it so proudly to say it out loud at every given time, told it to a friend working for Bioware, who ended up using it for the SWTOR faq wthout realizing the legal trouble he was getting himself into!

Grumblesmurph
Terracotta Army

Reply #674 on: May 07, 2010, 09:28:17 AM

SWTOR faq:

Traditionally MMOs are built on three pillars; Exploration, Combat, and Progression. We at BioWare and LucasArts believe there is a fourth pillar: Story.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," Serek Dmart continued. "In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; a story."

It's actually from a Bioware press release:

""Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - combat, exploration and character progression," said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder and General Manager/CEO of BioWare and General Manager/Vice President of Electronic Arts Inc., "In Star Wars: The Old Republic, we’re fusing BioWare’s heritage of critically-acclaimed storytelling with the amazing pedigree of Lucasfilm and LucasArts, and adding a brand-new fourth pillar to the equation – story."

http://www.swtor.com/news/article/press-release-001
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #675 on: May 07, 2010, 09:53:19 AM

I had to double check it myself. I still find it hard to believe he is that amount of idiocy. Unless he coined that phrase, wore it so proudly to say it out loud at every given time, told it to a friend working for Bioware, who ended up using it for the SWTOR faq wthout realizing the legal trouble he was getting himself into!

To be clear, since I started working at Bio in 2004, the company has internally talked about those four pillars. They applied to single-player RPGs before they were applied to SWTOR.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #676 on: May 07, 2010, 11:05:20 AM

To be clear, since I started working at Bio in 2004, the company has internally talked about those four pillars. They applied to single-player RPGs before they were applied to SWTOR.

Then it CLEARLY means someone at Bioware met Serek Dmart before 2004  awesome, for real

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #677 on: May 07, 2010, 11:09:06 AM

I had to double check it myself. I still find it hard to believe he is that amount of idiocy.

i am become idiocy, destroyer of worlds, voldesmart voldesmart
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #678 on: May 07, 2010, 05:18:00 PM

There's clearly an easy fix for this:

SWTOR faq:

Traditionally MMOs are built on three pillars; Exploration, Combat, and Progression. We at BioWare and LucasArts AND MR D. SMART believe there is a fourth pillar: Story.

schild
Administrator

Reply #679 on: May 07, 2010, 05:23:18 PM

Traditionally MMOS are built on three pillars; Exploration, Combat, and Progression. We at Bioware AUSTIN believe there is a fourth pillar: Slave Labor.
Raegar
Terracotta Army

Reply #680 on: May 08, 2010, 08:49:27 PM

Pardon my recent registration, but this is just way too good to not come here for.

I had to go and read the whole gamasutra battle for its awesome entertaining/time wasted ratio, + now this.

Lets just say, F13 has a new visitor for life because of Smart's smarts!  awesome, for real
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #681 on: May 09, 2010, 09:20:53 AM

Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #682 on: May 09, 2010, 09:33:00 AM

Ah, it's someone else's fault!

"Serek Dmart continued" was clearly not supposed to be taken literally.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #683 on: May 09, 2010, 09:41:13 AM

Pfft.

AKA Gyoza
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #684 on: May 09, 2010, 09:42:31 AM

How very Smart of him.
Raegar
Terracotta Army

Reply #685 on: May 09, 2010, 09:59:59 AM

like with wine, gets better and better huh?

Having read all that garbage just recently and still for the most part, fresh on my mind, the fact that company finances and assets were mishandled (by who it doesn't really matter) is clearly undeniable. So sweeping Dave and friends under the rug and forgetting [for whatever it is they're at fault] may not be such a great idea, but this guy is just beyond me. It's almost as if he saw the shitstorm and said "hey guys, I wanna join in on this...and I wanna be in the center."

edit: clarification
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #686 on: May 09, 2010, 02:51:34 PM

"Traditionally, massively multiplier online games [...]"

Didn't notice this before. Lovely. And the press release is still up, hilarious misspell included.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:41:22 AM by Falconeer »

Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #687 on: May 09, 2010, 03:39:28 PM

they should just permanently keep the G out of it, officially make this al-anon
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #688 on: May 09, 2010, 03:39:51 PM

I want to know what church he attends. As crazy as he is, I'm betting they handle snakes in the evening service.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #689 on: May 09, 2010, 04:19:03 PM

Serek Dmart said on 4:00PM 5-09-2010

I don't know wtf you're going on about or what motivates your ire (at least I have an excuse), but wtf does the announcement (in the news you linked to on MMORPG) about the game being released have to do with this discussion?

Of course I knew about the release. But how the hell am I supposed to know if parts of it were either plagiarised, referenced without credit to the source, based on homage or whatever if I didn't compose it? Do we have to now go out and fact check press releases? Seriously?

More importantly, what has this got to do with Google Alerts? You do know how that actually *works*, right? Right? My guess is that you don't. And even if you did, you're trying to claim ignorance in order to continue your net rage ire.

The first I even heard of this issue was when Warcry sent me an RFC which I was greeted to this morning when I opened my email. Then I got one from Massively and others. Most of us with families and jobs, actually have *lives* beyond the Net. So its not like we're no-life-having cretins looking to stir up trouble at every opportunity. So excuse me if I wasn't trolling the net on Saturday when this was first posted.

I am waiting to get an official answer back from the PR firm, but from where I'm sitting, this is a non issue and I'm not throwing anyone under the bus.

Anyone with more than two functioning brain cells can read easily see that the opening commentary is nothing more than a reference.

Even running the original link* through www.copyscape.com doesn't yield anything other than similar phrases being used in both releases.

The reference to "pillars" is a commonly used phrase in various structure driven arenas (e.g. the government). And the bit that preceded my commentary is a single line that the firm chose to use in order to make their point and precede my commentary.

"Traditionally, massively multiplier** online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars – combat, exploration and character progression,”"

Nothing beyond that is remotely the same. Since John Smedley made similar remarks in a talk he gave, go find out who first uttered those words, source it, then go back and accuse anyone else who uses it of plagiarism.

And if you really want to have fun with semantics, go ahead and run "Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games" through Google. Have fun with that.

This is just stupid and why it even made the news is beyond me. But it just goes to show that sites - trying to scrap a few dimes together - will do anything for hits. And since we're the latest flavor of the day, here we are.

You clearly have an axe to grind and have no common sense whatsoever; so arguing with you is going to just be a lesson in futility. So go ahead, have fun. I'm sure you need to validate your otherwise inconsequential [anon] existence.

* http://www.swtor.com/news/article/press-release-001

** sp due to spellchecker

comment #63 in the Massively thread.

He's outed me. I'll do anything for hits on someone else's site. Apparently Schild owes me a few dimes.

Edit: I think the first person to notice this publicly was a guy called Blazinglynx at mmorpg.com. I posted here after noticing it before I saw that thread when I read the e-mail, Kill Ten Rats picked it up from our discussion, Massively picked it up from Kill Ten Rats.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/277158/page/1
later in that thread is a true wonder of Smartist rhetoric:

Yeah it is 6:40 MST and there is 61 players in total playing from all the servers. So not a lot of people to play with or talk to.  But then Smrt said he is happy with  no more then 100 players because of the network code. Funny way he deleted that in his post on the forums.

Marvellous! A comment so dumb that even Serek Dmart retracted it!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:32:20 PM by Stabs »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #690 on: May 09, 2010, 06:28:50 PM

Best part of that: the president or whatever of a MMO developer who himself has been a long-time computer game developer pulling the, "Christ, don't you online losers have lives? Get out of your parents' basement!" routine.

He should take this show on the road.

Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #691 on: May 10, 2010, 04:12:19 AM

So, summing up Derek's rebuttal:

It is NOT plagiarism.
And if it is plagiarism, Serek Dmart didn't write it.
And if he did write it, GET A LIFE.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #692 on: May 10, 2010, 05:20:59 AM

A rebuttal that pretty much covers all bases. I like it. We still have much to learn from this man.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #693 on: May 10, 2010, 05:39:38 AM

Thank you, I adapted it from a defence a lawyer friend told me is commonly heard in criminal cases:

I wasn't there.
And if I was there, I didn't do it.
And if I did do it, I didn't mean it.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #694 on: May 10, 2010, 07:51:25 AM

And if you did mean it, your father/mother/aliens abused you as a child and so they're to blame?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #695 on: May 10, 2010, 08:30:07 AM

Traditionally, massively multiplier online games have been about three basic gameplay pillars - plagiarism, plagiarism, and plagiarism. In Alganon, in addition to these we've added the fourth pillar to the equation; plagiarism.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #696 on: May 10, 2010, 09:00:54 AM

Quote from: Dmart
And if you really want to have fun with semantics, go ahead and run "Traditionally, massively multiplayer online games" through Google. Have fun with that.
Or you could try the more statistically improbable phrase "three basic gameplay pillars" which, despite many hits on the Dmartisms, still front pages the SWTOR press release.
March
Terracotta Army

Reply #697 on: May 10, 2010, 09:20:38 AM

Do we have to now go out and fact check press releases? Seriously?

Random forum posts, maybe not... but Press Releases - yes.  Seriously.

I am waiting to get an official answer back from the PR firm, but from where I'm sitting, this is a non issue and I'm not throwing anyone under the bus.

Kinda the definition of throwing someone under the bus... or at least positioning someone to stand in the street at the bus-stop while holding the schedule in your hand.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #698 on: May 10, 2010, 09:46:06 AM

I have heard some grumblings about the back story and wows back story being quite.. the same. 

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #699 on: May 10, 2010, 09:47:24 AM

I have heard some grumblings about the back story and wows back story being quite.. the same. 

I don't think you understand the 4th pillar.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 31 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT]  
Jump to: