Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:57:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT]  (Read 413626 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1050 on: September 29, 2010, 01:21:48 AM

And just so you know, we had already decided to fire you right off the bat. You just made it happen quicker when you ...The plan all along was to fire you after the April launch. So don't kid yourself.

This should be made into a television show. D-Smart: CONTROLling your game, fighting the forces of chaotic game scheduling, traitors and scapegoats.  
Just reading through this thread again to see if I could find the whole comment about David not investing his own money, and I come across the links to the gamasutra article. It's gone now, anyone remember to make a copy of it before the lawyers told he who must not be named to get his brainfarts off the internet?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: September 29, 2010, 04:26:07 AM

Regarding Abagadro's point about the equity, yes, I accept the point. We don't know whether David Allen received what he put in, more, or less. My nit was to simply observe that we can't say as outsiders Allen made money off the fiasco unless precise details are made public. It's hard to believe though that Serek Dmart would be able to resist the opportunity to crow if Allen were being paid one cent in the dollar.

As for Smart's allegations that Allen never put any money in they are repeated in Smart's most recent blog post. Point 2 in his "100% factual chronology". The chronology doesn't add up though. If Allen never put any money in, did all these blatantly terrible things, etc then why would anyone settle such a case? They could just laugh it off or go to court and win very easily if the facts are as Smart states. (And please don't tell me that people settle cases they would win simply to avoid bad publicity - bad publicity very clearly isn't something Smart and QOL have shown any inclination to avoid).

More interestingly there are reports by players in the MMORPG forums. Someone suggests they have 200 players and gets laughed at. Searching for other players comes out with less than 10 online. People are trying to form pugs by posting on the MMORPG forum. Now bear in mind this game has gone free to play and many of these players will be playing for free. It really is just a vanity project at this stage.
http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/289852/Populations-Status.html
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:29:12 AM by Stabs »
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: September 29, 2010, 04:36:25 AM

This is what he who must not be named claims is the case now:

Greg agreed and together they formed Quest Online, LLC in Arizona where Allen resided. They split the company into 50/50 shares. Greg was the money guy and Allen would bring the ideas for the game, put a team together, take a salary from QOL (funded by Wexler) etc

I've no idea what sort of share David has now after all the investors they've pulled in over the years, but in short, David probably made money off of the whole deal, unless it's worth literally nothing these days (which I wouldn't put it past, to be honest, with the shitstorm he who must not be named has caused).

The whole "settle out of court" business reinforces my initial reaction that he who must not be named is/was talking out his ass. Either that or the investors have finally had enough with the whole negative PR deal and just said "fine, fuck it, we'll pay him to go away".

And just to get back to the deal with the state of the game, how many here have actually tried it? I haven't (didn't want to stroke his ego), and I'm glad I haven't when I read things like this in that thread:

Yes and no, IMO.  So far, I've played up to level 19 for free quite successfully.  That being said, I'm irked that it costs money to be able to chat publicly with other players.  To me, that's ridiculous and probably a big turn off for many players.

Seriously? Play for free, but demand money to talk to other people? In an MMO? Whose bright idea was this?

Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #1053 on: September 29, 2010, 05:14:09 AM

I tried it in January. It was simply a low quality version of WoW. Kill ten monsters then run back to the quest giver. They had an Eve style offline learning tool which was quite well designed but I didn't like it that you could buy speed-ups for cash. It essentially meant other people could become better tanks, healers or whatever by RMT which wasn't a pissing match I wanted to get into.

What put me off was a lack of faith in a viable end game. Imagine leveling up in a game like WoW but with the real chance that there would be no end game - just the journey without the destination. Too much bad word of mouth - group content buggy etc.

One interesting feature was in-game dungeonmastering/live events. However now I rather cringe at logging in and finding His Supreme Holiness Derek the Smart offering an opportunity to bow down and adore him in-game. I have no idea whether Alganon live events are actually like that or whether they even happen but that's the mental image I now have.

I guess the draw of Alganon is to play a single player game for free. If you like kill 10 orcs quests. A lot. The other stuff they have is group content in a game where the online population isn't enough to make a raid and (possibly) Live events if they actually do them. But it doesn't hold a candle to free EQ2 or Lotro even if you only want to do solo questing.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: September 29, 2010, 05:46:05 AM

One interesting feature was in-game dungeonmastering/live events. However now I rather cringe at logging in and finding His Supreme Holiness Derek the Smart offering an opportunity to bow down and adore him in-game. I have no idea whether Alganon live events are actually like that or whether they even happen but that's the mental image I now have.
And if you don't act the way his supreme holiness demands, his gargantuan head will spew forth a wall of text for 10d20 damage?

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: September 29, 2010, 06:55:14 AM

And if you don't act the way his supreme holiness demands, his gargantuan head will spew forth a wall of text for 10d20 damage?

worse yet your avatar's head turns into his face
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: September 29, 2010, 11:27:06 AM

worse yet your avatar's head turns into his face
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1057 on: September 29, 2010, 12:00:10 PM

KILL IT WITH FIRE
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1058 on: September 29, 2010, 12:09:46 PM

As if fire is strong enough to kill that
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: September 29, 2010, 01:05:19 PM

His true Kzinti name is untranslatable to monkey-meat tongue. Roughly it can be said to be Demented-to-Multitudes.

Rishathra is not recommended.
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #1060 on: September 29, 2010, 06:34:31 PM

ACK!

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: December 16, 2010, 03:01:30 AM

http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/12/15/free-for-all-an-insight-on-indie-from-alganon/

"It's not a WOW clone! but every game out there borrows from games that came before it, so yeah, it's a wow clone."

And, of course, some chest-beating in what he does best, a blog:
http://www.qol.com/blog/?p=233

fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: December 16, 2010, 07:38:55 AM

And, of course, some chest-beating in what he does best, a blog:
http://www.qol.com/blog/?p=233

Generally, people tend to take credit for things that they either had no knowledge of or hand in. This usually happens on the creative side of things. It happens in all industries, from the guy who built my house to the guys who are working hard to raise the APB game from the ashes. It is one thing to build the foundation for a house and say, “..hey I built that foundation” and clearly another to say “..hey, I built that house“. The honorable and decent ones tend to give credit to the hardwork of those that came before.

Think he will give credit that David Allen did get the game together?
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #1063 on: December 16, 2010, 08:25:26 AM

Think he will give credit that David Allen did get the game together?

That got a chuckle outta me... thanks

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
veredus
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: December 23, 2010, 01:00:47 AM

edit: nm spammer removed...
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 09:46:05 AM by veredus »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT]  
Jump to: