Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 10:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT] 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT]  (Read 413806 times)
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: March 15, 2010, 10:50:37 AM

... drawing a comic about he who must not be named ...

You're going to make us wait, aren't you.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: March 15, 2010, 10:52:33 AM

Exactly!
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #72 on: March 15, 2010, 12:08:18 PM

ACK!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 12:23:05 PM by schild »

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: March 15, 2010, 01:26:33 PM

Awwwww come on man, they weren't all in a row...

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #74 on: March 15, 2010, 01:36:10 PM

I feel like I'm missing some context for the last couple posts.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: March 15, 2010, 02:06:59 PM

The first post by me originally was about how great it would be to have some game people from the "rock star" days of the late 90's to show up here along with a short list of examples. I had also written Voldesmart's full name three times, two of which were consecutive. I mean it's not like he would search for instances of his name being mentioned three times in a row, right? Right?

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #76 on: March 15, 2010, 02:15:19 PM

Oh I see, the edit was from Schild. It all makes sense now.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: March 15, 2010, 06:00:32 PM

Are you saying Schild edited out the V word to save the F13 forums from an unspeakable doom?

That's very... meta...
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: March 15, 2010, 07:03:08 PM

We all know the old wives' tale. It is widely known that you need only speak his name thrice and spin about three times widdershins, but in truth that is most unlikely to work. Knowledge of the sinister one is widely disseminated these days, and fools attempt to bring him forth quite often, foolishly attempting to utilize His power for their own ends. He only possesses six hundred and sixty-six mouths and roughly three thousand forkéd tongues to deliver the Speech that Loosens Bowels and must prioritize His attentions. As was written in pages flayed from human skin in the Necronomicon, one need but speak the full invocation thrice and he will appear. It is as follows.

Fhtagn <Name the Beast that must not be spoken>!

Ph'd glui mglw'nafh ta'ko <Name the Beast that must not be spoken> B'yl huf'maln fhtagn!

iä! iä!

(Repeat twice more. But you should really reconsider.)
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: March 15, 2010, 09:34:51 PM

Are you saying Schild edited out the V word to save the F13 forums from an unspeakable doom?

That's very... meta...
Well, if by "V word" you mean the words 'edit' and 'edit', then yes.

<Don't make Schild angrier>
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 11:11:54 AM by rattran »

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #80 on: March 16, 2010, 12:06:32 AM

There's an amazing "V-Card" joke I can make here concerning Derek, tying in with that list from the funny pictures thread.  I'm just to drunk to think of it.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
LC
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: March 16, 2010, 02:25:04 PM

I still run Serek Dmart's Desktop Commander.
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: March 16, 2010, 04:51:24 PM

Sry guys, I am late.
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: March 16, 2010, 04:54:44 PM

Fueled by the souls of the damned!

Heh

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #84 on: March 16, 2010, 06:27:05 PM

Reading through THAT GUY's replies to the Gamasutra article linked in the Alganon thread, there was this:

What happened is a text book example of what not to do and just how so very much can go wrong in the hands of very inexperienced people. There is a massive Gamasutra blog entry about it in my near future, once the dust settles.

He's also kept up the "I'm not going to talk about how bad David Allen is, but here's how bad David Allen is" routine.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #85 on: March 16, 2010, 08:40:55 PM

It's picking up, a guy from other side of the fence showed up in that thread now...
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: March 16, 2010, 09:00:47 PM

Even for Derek, badtalking former employees in a public forum like that is remarkably stupid. He actually warned other dev houses not to hire them in public, destroying their careers! He implied they were criminals, invoking the FBI! That's all legally actionable!

Unlike Derek's usual parade of "I'm gonna sue you for bringing up my alleged soda machine beatdown" bogus threats this is for real, and the size of that liability is very possibly sufficient to sink their business.

I work in the real world, and when I fire somebody and subsequently am contacted as a reference, I simply don't take the call. I never provide a bad reference for precisely this reason-- they can and probably will sue your ass.

It's downright astonishing that anyone would be so naive as to sit Derek in a position where he could do so much damage. I would love to follow that thought process.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: March 17, 2010, 12:27:43 AM

That's a good point. As far as I know, over here former employers are legally prohibited from giving bad references, but they can simply refuse to give a reference for someone, which carries as much weight.

Hic sunt dracones.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #88 on: March 17, 2010, 03:23:10 AM

What I posted was crystal clear and not open to any sort of misinterpretation. I stand by it as was originally posted. You don't have to like it and thats not my problem, nor is it my goal to cater to everyone's personal feelings. We're all unique individuals and whoever thinks they're the better person, just needs to get out more.
How can people really say something like what I bolded while keep a straight face and NOT realize the irony?

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #89 on: March 17, 2010, 03:53:47 AM

I simply don't have the time or patience for petty bickering when there is so much work to be done.

<Insert picture of owl here.>

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: March 17, 2010, 05:35:31 AM

He's also kept up the "I'm not going to talk about how bad David Allen is, but here's how bad David Allen is" routine.

I thought that was odd too. "I am not at liberty to say anymore, here is more about it"

EDIT: Holy shit, is this guy out to personally destroy peoples careers? Quoting, and linking a linkedin recommendation like that and the publicly disputing it? On a highly visible GAMING and DEVLOPMENT site?

Huge fucking shit bag. That has got to be one of the most unprofessional moves I have ever seen. Especially considering (opinion not withstanding) they created something more complicated than he ever has. Even if you think it failed as a game, the man hours, talent, and work that went into the tech behind it puts his battlecruiser, and subsequent titles, to shame. The game, for the most part failed due to public opinion, not because it wasn't real. "this is the sort of thing we have to deal with : " <--- What? It is not your job to dispute what he said on a personal site or, for all intents, resume, in public. Your involvement ended when you let them go. Dick.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:58:03 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: March 17, 2010, 06:03:11 AM

You know what is the only thing that could make this drama even better than it's already high, high level?  Lawsuits, c'mon guys don't fail me now!

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: March 17, 2010, 06:39:41 AM

At this point the only possible scenario I can see in which Allen and co. won't sue is if (as Derek says) they embezzled from the company coffers, the forensic trail is solid and sure to hold up in court, and both sides agree to a deal. Otherwise, they're going to rake the company over the coals for Derek's inability to act like an adult by putting on a smile and "wishing them the best of luck in their future endeavors".
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: March 17, 2010, 06:57:06 AM

Oh, I am sure he will provide all the rope required himself, again.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: March 17, 2010, 07:02:51 AM

Will? I'd assume he already has, in ample amounts.

I'm awaiting the fallout myself.Popcorn

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:33 AM

Quote from: Mrbloodworth link=topic=18916.msg779035#ms
Huge fucking shit bag. That has got to be one of the most unprofessional moves I have ever seen. Especially considering ([i
opinion not withstanding[/i]) they created something more complicated than he ever has. Even if you think it failed as a game, the man hours, talent, and work that went into the tech behind it puts his battlecruiser, and subsequent titles, to shame. The game, for the most part failed due to public opinion, not because it wasn't real. "this is the sort of thing we have to deal with : " <--- What? It is not your job to dispute what he said on a personal site or, for all intents, resume, in public. Your involvement ended when you let them go. Dick.

I'm assuming that when DS calls himself a "Magnet for controversy" he means "Drooling shitbag".

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: March 17, 2010, 07:22:21 AM

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:34:28 AM by Mrbloodworth »

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #97 on: March 17, 2010, 07:34:29 AM

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #98 on: March 17, 2010, 07:39:58 AM

He's funny. He manages to post things like this:

I simply don't have the time or patience for petty bickering when there is so much work to be done.

and then he posts stuff like this:

Some stats. 6 pages when pasted directly into word. 3127 words.

"haven't got time" and "so much work to do" indeed.

Popcorn

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44:37 AM

He's funny. He manages to post things like this:

and then he posts stuff like this:

Some stats. 6 pages when pasted directly into word. 3127 words.

"haven't got time" and "so much work to do" indeed.

Popcorn

I read the first post, but screw that, its way too fucking long to consider this time.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: March 17, 2010, 07:45:14 AM

Serek Dmart: he can see right through his eyelids. Blindfolded. In the dark.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #101 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:39 AM

I read the first post, but screw that, its way too fucking long to consider this time.

It's totally worth the effort. Trust me.

tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: March 17, 2010, 07:55:33 AM

Damnit. I was going to quote that, but there's so much more hilarity in that paragraph:

He was apparently setting me up for failure. By getting his golden parachute and trimming the core team before "retiring" from the company before the Mar 1 disaster hit, I would be left with a skeleton crew to finish a game that, for all intent and purposes, wasn't finished. That all backfired because he severely underestimated me and the fact that I've done this for so long, I can see right through my eyelids. Blindfolded. In the dark.

He does go into very specific details on what they did, so either he's ranting, or what he's saying is true. I don't know if the way he went about airing this dirty laundry is going to be without repercussions, even if it is true.

Edit:
You're a designer - with *near zero* experience. I'm a snr. developer who has actually developed engines (lots of them) and shipped games (lots of them). So unlike you [in-experienced] three, you can't fool me - and that was David's first mistake once I got involved in all this and at the request of the investors who own the company.
He's experienced like he's a PhD?</rimshot>
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 07:57:49 AM by tgr »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: March 17, 2010, 07:59:06 AM

Damnit. I was going to quote that, but there's so much more hilarity in that paragraph:

He was apparently setting me up for failure. By getting his golden parachute and trimming the core team before "retiring" from the company before the Mar 1 disaster hit, I would be left with a skeleton crew to finish a game that, for all intent and purposes, wasn't finished. That all backfired because he severely underestimated me and the fact that I've done this for so long, I can see right through my eyelids. Blindfolded. In the dark.

He does go into very specific details on what they did, so either he's ranting, or what he's saying is true. I don't know if the way he went about airing this dirty laundry is going to be without repercussions, even if it is true.

Its still, IMO, not a classy thing to do, but completely in keeping with anything I have ever seen him do/post. He clearly cares about the drama, more than the the game, or development of any kind.

I feel sorry for those that have to work for him. Knowing, everyone but him will always be the fall guy. I can't imagine the atmosphere this creates in the office.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:02:53 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #104 on: March 17, 2010, 08:07:25 AM

You really, really have to wonder if Mr. Smartypants was simply brought on to the team in the capacity as professional troll.

The stupid game was completely off everyones radar until this messy wet explosion and so for that reason alone his CEO-ship is a massive success.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Mr. Smart is the Best Forum Poster [INTERNET HISTORY ITT]  
Jump to: