Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 07:15:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Pacific 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Pacific  (Read 43198 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

on: March 11, 2010, 06:46:23 AM

I didn't see a thread for this and being a HUGE fan of Band of Brothers, I thought I'd see what the rest of you thought. 

Here is the HBO site with a trailer.

Think of Band of Brothers, Pacific Theater Edition. 

I, for one, am looking forward to this quite a bit.  Then again, I'm a huge sucker for the WWII era. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:08:30 AM

I'm squeeeeeeeeeee-ing so much over this miniseries, based on how utterly awesome band of brothers was. I can't wait.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:43:03 AM

My DVR is salivating waiting to record this. If its anywhere near the quality of band of brothers its going to be an instant classic.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 11:14:49 AM

I, too, can't fucking wait for this. Instead of my usual piracy, I might even sub for 6 months for this!

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 11:15:42 AM

Hey, this will keep me from dropping HBO for a while. Still need to see Band of Brothers...

-Rasix
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 11:17:19 AM

I'm a little scared, to be honest. Is there any way any show, even by the same people, can match the awe of BoB without reverting to rewrapping the original conflicts and making it seem derivative? We shall see!

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 11:24:28 AM

I'm a little scared, to be honest. Is there any way any show, even by the same people, can match the awe of BoB without reverting to rewrapping the original conflicts and making it seem derivative? We shall see!

I saw glimpses of love story in this in the trailer I saw.

Fuck that.

The only love story I want in my historically based WWII mini-series would be some hot little grateful Asians being plowed. Let's hope that was not an indicator of things to come.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 11:35:31 AM

The only love story I want in my historically based WWII mini-series would be some hot little grateful Asians being plowed. Let's hope that was not an indicator of things to come.

They may not have been that grateful; some estimates claim there were thousands of rapes committed by GIs after the battle of okinawa.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:28:46 PM

Love story?  Sounds like they're putting SG:U in my Band of Brothers.  Better not fuck it up  Mob
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 02:58:33 PM

One of the guys I know from my WW2OL squad got to play an US Marine extra when they were filming in Queensland. I think he's in the background lugging a .30cal on his shoulder up a mountain somewhere.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 07:54:26 PM

I read an interview somewhere with the producers that this has a much different feel than Band of Brothers.

It's a much more bleak, sober, war-is-hell kinda series. Whereas BoB was shot and released in the pre-9/11 world, when we mythologized "the good war", this was produced and shot after 8 years of war and is less hopeful and heroic.

Instead of scenes of virtuous Allied soldiers sharing chocolate with the locals, or feeling guilty after gunning down young German soldiers, you get the "no prisoners" slaughter and brutality of the Pacific War. Cooking suicidal Japs up close with flamethrowers then prying out their gold teeth while they are still alive...that kinda thing.

If you have On-Demand there are some interviews and trailers & previews available already.

I'm reading With the Old Breed right now to get some background.

It should be great.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:56:13 PM by ShenMolo »
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:36:45 PM

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 10:03:00 PM

That review says it way better than what I would have said.

Marine Corps in the Pacific was way different than the Army in France.  I froth for this both as a Marine and a fan of historical drama.  I can only hope that this sheds light on a largely unknown part of the war like it's predecessor made us understand things we'd only heard about Europe.  But I have no illusions, as if it's faithful, it will be hard for people to swallow.  No love story will ruin this.  Bet on it.  Fuck, you'll probably be grateful for a love story break, even if you're the most hardened heart.

AKA Gyoza
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 03:41:22 AM

I subbed to HBO HD last night just so I could catch this miniseries.  No one brings the authenticity of WWII like Spielberg and Hanks.  I am also a major military history buff and have read books on all the campaigns that will be covered.  From that review it sounds pretty intense!
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 07:43:47 AM

That review says it way better than what I would have said.

Marine Corps in the Pacific was way different than the Army in France.  I froth for this both as a Marine and a fan of historical drama.  I can only hope that this sheds light on a largely unknown part of the war like it's predecessor made us understand things we'd only heard about Europe.  But I have no illusions, as if it's faithful, it will be hard for people to swallow.  No love story will ruin this.  Bet on it.  Fuck, you'll probably be grateful for a love story break, even if you're the most hardened heart.
Yes, this, exactly.  Anybody who has studied the pacific war knows how different it was from the European war, and how brutal.  ShenMolo, I don't think the difference has anything to do with 9/11 or war glorification.  There is just a legitimatly stark difference between the wars.  I think Band of Brothers captured the European war excellently, and by all accounts, this should capture the feel of the pacific war.  I've only read parts of "With the Old Breed" (which is in based off) and need to pick it up. 

A good book I read in college on this particular subject is War Without Mercy.  Does a good job of laying out reasons why things became so brutal.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 12:25:02 PM

Since hbo's site is failing for me, when does this start?
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 01:01:11 PM

21st I think.

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 01:02:41 PM

This Sunday, the 14th

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 01:53:14 PM

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 07:53:47 PM

wow that's so awesome.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 08:17:04 PM

First episode wasn't anywhere near the quality of Curahee. 

I hope this gets better. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 03:39:35 AM

Yeah, not too engrossing yet.  Where's David Schwimmer when you need him?  awesome, for real
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 04:23:31 AM

To be honest, I never really thought of the first episode of BoB as all that great either, it was more the calm before the storm, and happily the episode I'm most likely to skip in a marathon. I'm not really worried about the series quite yet based on these comments.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 15, 2010, 07:14:00 AM

To be honest, I never really thought of the first episode of BoB as all that great either, it was more the calm before the storm, and happily the episode I'm most likely to skip in a marathon. I'm not really worried about the series quite yet based on these comments.

This, exactly.

Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 15, 2010, 09:36:07 AM

I believe the show will be classic. I'm happy to have ordered HBO to support this.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 11:59:45 AM

First episode wasn't anywhere near the quality of Curahee. 

I hope this gets better. 

Yeah but BoB had the massive advantage of following a single unit that actually played a key role in the major events, D-Day/Bulge.  From my limited understanding, the Pacific is going to be all over the place just because of the nature of the campaign.

Still need to see Band of Brothers...

The only thing I have bought twice, DVD & blu-ray.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02:07 PM

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 12:09:13 PM

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 12:33:13 PM

murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 12:35:09 PM

The pre-war stuff felt tacked on to me. More like they felt they aught to show that stuff, then they wanted to.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
tgr
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 02:02:09 PM

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 03:01:02 PM

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 10:35:11 PM

AKA Gyoza
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 11:48:02 PM

On one hand, thanks for spoiler tagging everything because I haven't seen the first episode yet.  On the other hand, WTF.  This is "The Pacific" thread.  The last 8 fucking posts are nothing but a spoiler tags.  Shouldn't this be the thread where its ok to talk about whats going on in the series?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010, 03:32:03 AM

The naval battles around Guadalcanal were so severe for the Navy that they didn't release casualty figures for years.

I'm really glad someone is finally doing Peleliu.  It never gets attention, but it was some of the worst fighting in the Pacific.  It taught the Marines, the hard way, how to ferret out the enemy in coral caves and ridges.  "Devil's Anvil" is a great book on it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: The Pacific  
Jump to: