Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:51:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: World Cup 2010 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 184183 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #35 on: June 12, 2010, 06:30:04 AM

yep, "too little, too late" indeed. The difference of pace was embarassing sometimes, even in the second half (with that last save by Greece goalkeeper).

It was really important by either Greece and South Korea to start with a win given the other two teams of the group, so this might result as a fundamental win for the asians. It will be interesting to see them against Argentina.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #36 on: June 12, 2010, 06:55:58 AM

hrm... Argentina v Nigeria in a few mins. I want to see this game, and also US-Eng. It's also 11:54pm, and I'll have to be up until aboput 5am..  swamp poop Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? swamp poop

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 12, 2010, 06:56:10 AM

Argentina-Nigeria starting in a few minutes. Argentina is definitely one of the favorites in this edition. Nice initial line-up with Messi-Tevez-Higuain starting. But leaving Milito on the bench...Ugh.

If he comes up later in the match today or in the following ones, keep an eye out for argentinian player Pastore: I saw him playing all year here in Italy (he plays for Palermo) and he's very promising (he's an attacking midfielder)

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #38 on: June 12, 2010, 07:09:24 AM

Beautiful goal. Even Nigeria look so much more skilled than Korea. I'm going to enjoy watching Argentina vs Greece.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 12, 2010, 07:55:06 AM

Nice first half, especially the first part; great saves by Nigeria keeper!

Anyways, Argentina wingbacks, Jonas and Heinze, are clearly the weak spot, together with Demichelis, who is just an average full back, IMO (compared to World-class Samuel). Other, more talented attacks could really create problems.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 12, 2010, 09:04:17 AM

...More great saves by the keeper, and chances wasted by Higuain and Messi. They could be punished with a draw, but Nigeria strikers weren't precise enough. Still some doubts about Argentina defense, but we'll see them against more "serious" attacks :).

And now waiting for England-USA...

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #41 on: June 12, 2010, 11:35:57 AM

Heh. That was fast.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 12, 2010, 12:13:33 PM

Wow.  If England loses this game, their keeper is never going to be able to go outside again.  As the US announcer said, that's about the softest goal you'll ever see at a World Cup match.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 12, 2010, 12:13:46 PM

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 12, 2010, 12:15:45 PM

Well, LOL  swamp poop DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #45 on: June 12, 2010, 12:26:54 PM

Shilton, Seaman, James, and now Green. I understand everyone wants to play the ball, but I can't remember any other country in the world hating the goalkeeper position as much as England.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #46 on: June 12, 2010, 01:21:27 PM

Decent match by the US.  They are clearly overmatched in the talent department.  Good of them to hold it together.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 12, 2010, 01:26:56 PM

It'll be interesting to see if England can recover from this, or if its the start of the inevitable death spiral. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 12, 2010, 01:34:14 PM

Ok, never judge a favorite team by their first World Cup match, but England really needs to find more fluidity in their game, they were quite clumsy. We've seen better stuff from Mexico and South Korea, just sayin'.

Tim Howard on his way to become a National Hero, but nice display by the U.S. ; their group is not impossible at all, they can score a good result both with Algeria and Slovenia.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: June 12, 2010, 01:59:31 PM

Yeah, well, the eyes were fixed on the ball, at least...Butterhands! :P

Here in Italy, we call an error like the one Green did a "papera", duckling (Green committed a duckling), probably referred to the clumsy way a duck walks, and hence a clumsy intervention/error.

Ahem, ok, lesson is over :P
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:04:31 PM by Lucas »

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 12, 2010, 02:25:15 PM

Just seemed to me that the U.S. was much more meshed as a team. They just are not nearly as deep talent-wise.

Definitely happy with a draw as a result for going up against the heavy favorite in group play.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 12, 2010, 02:46:46 PM

Fucking England, never a dull moment. Must be one of the worst international teams to support as we always find new and innovative ways to snatch calamity from the jaws of victory.

Fortunately we've been put in a group with us, the Yanks (who still haven't quite worked out they're not allowed to catch the ball), some Arab stoners and some country that is approximately 1/5th of the country it used to be in the old Eastern Europe (and it was small then). Please please don't let us fuck this up at qualification, my gran and her knitting circle could qualify from this group.

Afterthought: yes, yes, after Green's goalkeeping I shouldn't poke jibes at Yank outfield players. At least when they handle the ball it actually stops.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:49:22 PM by Stabs »
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 12, 2010, 02:57:05 PM

Decent match by the US.  They are clearly overmatched in the talent department.  Good of them to hold it together.

Fuck this bullshit.

Clearly overmatched?  Better, yes. Clearly so? No, fuck no.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 12, 2010, 03:21:43 PM

Tomorrow, Day 3:

Algeria - Slovenia 1.30pm CET (7.30am EDT)

Serbia - Ghana 4pm CET (10am EDT)

Germany - Australia 8.30pm CET (2.30pm EDT)
---

Well, obviously very important for Algeria and Slovenia to get three points (draw may be useless for both, given their next matches), so one of them can immediately get ahead of the two other favourites of their group.

Serbia-Ghana should be interesting. Traditionally, Serbia is quite solid, traditional european play (that someone could define "boring", hopefully not as in "Greece-boring" like today :P) Ghana has rock solid players as well, mixed with agility.

And of course, the debut of Germany: "yeah, they don't seem to play that well...OMG boring, this and that"...And you always find them in the very final stages of the competion :P. Don't know how/if Australia progressed in the last four years.

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 12, 2010, 03:32:42 PM

Well that's one spill the US won't be angry about

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #55 on: June 12, 2010, 03:51:32 PM

Fuck this bullshit.

The US played better as a team today, but England is much better at almost every position.  But that's why they play the games, isn't it?  It's a team sport and today team won.  I expect to see England get better as it goes on.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 12, 2010, 05:06:47 PM

Fucking England, never a dull moment. Must be one of the worst international teams to support as we always find new and innovative ways to snatch calamity from the jaws of victory.

But you won the world cup in 1966!  why so serious?

(Seriously, it might help you do better if your commentators and media actually shut up about that for 5 minutes)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 05:39:20 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
sigil
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 12, 2010, 05:11:42 PM

Fuck this bullshit.

The US played better as a team today, but England is much better at almost every position.  But that's why they play the games, isn't it?  It's a team sport and today team won.  I expect to see England get better as it goes on.

and I disagree at the concept of almost every position and being much better. some places much better, sure, but the difference overall is smaller than you're seeing.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #58 on: June 12, 2010, 05:20:05 PM

A draw for the US means is about the best result I could have expected. Now we need two good wins to gain some momentum.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: June 12, 2010, 05:25:40 PM

But you won the world cup in 1966!  why so serious?

Even that was a calamity. My Dad went and didn't take me!
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #60 on: June 12, 2010, 05:43:37 PM

My favorite comment from today was during the Argentinia-Nigeria match....

"They don't need a beautiful goal, a scruffy one will do."

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 12, 2010, 05:47:34 PM

I've always wondered if those giant Mickey Mouse hands they use actually make easy pickups harder.

-H.L. Mencken
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 12, 2010, 05:49:59 PM

It would depend on the design and the material used, I suppose. When I was a goalie in my school I always preferred to use my bare hands. Always felt I got a better grip. That said I didn't play very often and its one guys opinion, but whatever.

Hic sunt dracones.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #63 on: June 12, 2010, 06:11:45 PM

Went and watched the rest of Nigeria-Argentina from bed. Great keeping from the Nigerian. Lots of talent in both teams. Set the alarm for ENG-USA, then when it went off, fell asleep after turning it off. Made myself wake up almost an hour later and they were only 25mins in. Fell asleep again with about 5mins + injury time left. Not impressed with the game. Goalie fuckup notwithstanding, the USA played as a team and ENG played as 11 players. This cancelled out the skill difference, and the US deserved to draw against them.

I'm just going to give up on supporting England in their games from now on, despite the English roots I have. This shit seems to happen every time.

Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 12, 2010, 06:14:23 PM

I've always wondered if those giant Mickey Mouse hands they use actually make easy pickups harder.

No way.  Those things are like those wide receiver gloves with that foamy shit that's almost too sticky to be legal.  There's just more foam.  Speaking as someone who played keeper in his younger days, trying to play without them would be a severe handicap.  Also, it would hurt.

AKA Gyoza
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 12, 2010, 07:44:13 PM

Goalie gloves are specifically made so your fingers won't snap off when stopping the ball. I can't imagine playing at that level without them.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #66 on: June 12, 2010, 10:27:44 PM

And of course, the debut of Germany: "yeah, they don't seem to play that well...OMG boring, this and that"...And you always find them in the very final stages of the competion :P. Don't know how/if Australia progressed in the last four years.

Oz is very defensive this year and unfortunately not that interesting to watch.

But w/e.

GOOOOOOOOOOO SOCCERROOS!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #67 on: June 12, 2010, 11:14:16 PM

Yes. Back to the ultra-boring days of old. Watch them try to grind out a draw vs Germany tonight. Or not.  swamp poop

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #68 on: June 13, 2010, 01:25:51 AM

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #69 on: June 13, 2010, 02:37:14 AM

What's 4chan got to do with anything?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Sports / Fantasy Sports  |  Topic: World Cup 2010  
Jump to: