Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:36:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Tyrannis - Summer Update 2010 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tyrannis - Summer Update 2010  (Read 39371 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

on: February 20, 2010, 05:50:38 AM

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=733

Build shit on planets - harvest planet goo - build defensive junk also.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 06:42:05 AM

Carebear's paradise but more than a few (all) of the bugs brought in by Dominion are ignored other than lag (which they are trying to fix anyway), let alone things like fixing rockets, clunky GUI etc.

Eve-gate looks like it should be useful - but the rest holds no interest for me

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 07:49:24 AM

Looks like they want EVE players to build the locales, environments, and battlegrounds where DUST 514 players will play their games.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 08:48:35 AM

That's certainly true.

I'm also hoping this provides some of the answers to the 'why the fuck are we based out here in 0.0' question that the last update brought with it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Predator Irl
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 06:46:20 PM

It seems to me like they took away the moon goo in order to redirect it to planet goo! A bit of a pointless exercise as it will never benefit the players, alliances will just claim ownership over the valuable minerals as they have done with moons.

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one!
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:55:46 PM

Planet goo you have to play a FPS to fight over. Yum f******g yum

Hic sunt dracones.
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 06:56:31 PM

Before they become contested strategic assets, there were a lot of privately held R64 moons, even entire chains controlled by single corps (I set up one for my corp).  But if the entire alliance has to turn out to protect the chain, you should expect that the alliance will wind up taking the prize.

They do seem to have put themselves in a bit of a box, where alliances are so financially strapped just doing basic maintenance on what they have that there's comparatively little incentive to engage in expansionary or exclusionary wars.  Just a little musical chairs and domino-chaining while the losers of the last round sort themselves out, and over-extended empires get pruned.  Hopefully this will be real progress, and not just a failed effort to integrate the new game into the universe of the old one.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 06:55:13 AM

Hopefully this will be real progress, and not just a failed effort to integrate the new game into the universe of the old one.

However it turns out, they are set on this path, and the scheduling of it seems set in stone too.   Regardless of how many people scream "Fix the bugs!" or "What about the promised features?" on the (official) forums, this is what they are working on.  It's "Vision."  It's making me seriously consider why play, because they're asking us to work on creating content for their next game, while at the same time not throwing us a bone by making this game more fun or bugfree.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:19:56 AM

Maybe CCP should switch to an external QA testing company. It really seemed to work for Quantic Dream, among others. It really seems like QA has always been one of their major downfalls.

Partly, I imagine, is because it's so expensive to replicate the universe itself.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:21:45 AM by bhodi »
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 07:53:34 AM

Ambulation?

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:04:42 PM

If they want me to design content for their new game they can pay me 15 bucks a month, thanks.

Hic sunt dracones.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 07:16:30 PM

Hopefully this will be real progress, and not just a failed effort to integrate the new game into the universe of the old one.

However it turns out, they are set on this path, and the scheduling of it seems set in stone too.   Regardless of how many people scream "Fix the bugs!" or "What about the promised features?" on the (official) forums, this is what they are working on.  It's "Vision."  It's making me seriously consider why play, because they're asking us to work on creating content for their next game, while at the same time not throwing us a bone by making this game more fun or bugfree.

It's what CCP is their base. EVE is really just the game a bunch of nerds made for themselves. Unlike every other 'do it yourself' MMO, EVE had some legs and now they have to be a real company.

They've never been a real company, and probably never will. There is still that "craft it in your garage" drive or whatever you want to call it.

Fixing bugs is boring, woo new shiny!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Goumindong
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 04:36:33 AM

They can still design cool new shit. Its not like they two actions are exclusionary.

The real problem is that no one in CCP can do strategic decision making(their economist is a macro guy it looks like and so seems to be fucking useless at the micro side) and so has no fucking clue what is likely to happen when they do implement their "shiny new ideas".

Was overhauling sovereignty a good idea? Probably. Was doing it in the way they did it a good idea? No.

All the successes that CCP has had have been stumbled upon or are relatively simple fixes that had to be lobbied for over and over.  And those mostly come in because they hire someone from the community who they like personally and that person has a proclivity for some certain aspect of the game.

E.G. Amarr boosts. Took how long to get them to even look at it? And then what did they do? They boosted the things that were good to ridiculous levels (resistance changes boosted the ships that were fine, like the Harbinger, Geddon, Abaddon), and only fixed three problems with the rest of it (Omen, Zealot, Apoc). One wasn't boosted enough (lol Omen, at least its not a maller) one was just about right(Zealot yea, finally something that works!) and one was ridiculous (lol Apoc)
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 07:52:43 AM

2nd devblog dealing with Tyrannis

http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=741

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 08:39:15 AM

Unless I missed something, and that info was so badly written it's very possible I did, I don't see any mention of what you're going to use the stuff you mine for? Is it a replacement for moon goo? Asteroid mining?

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 08:48:50 AM

Materials used to construct battlesuit components for Dust players?
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 09:04:32 AM

The devs are being coy in the comments for the article about just what the hell planets produce, aside from saying that it won't step on the toes of POS manufacturing.  We can only hope for T3 modules that will require vital wormhole components to build in addition to planetary production stuff and are worth insane money.   awesome, for real
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 03:47:30 PM

A picture says more than 1000 words, and a video is 25 pictures a second so....ahmm...

Planetary Interaction video from SiSi made by Eve University: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ06wdm8B_0

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 03:56:19 PM

I wonder where they are going in the longer term with this.

If the Dust 514 Eve synergy works well will we see another game in the franchise, maybe a casual facebook game. Feeding your Dust mercs with crops from your spacefarm might be rather fun.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 04:00:51 PM

A picture says more than 1000 words, and a video is 25 pictures a second so....ahmm...

Planetary Interaction video from SiSi made by Eve University: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ06wdm8B_0
Sweet, Star Wars Galaxies - The Patch Edition.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 05:22:06 PM

Dominion (along the collapse of Goonswarm and the loss of my tech 1 production business) finally made me cancel my 2 Eve accounts this week. That blog was the final straw.

This isn't the first time I've left Eve, I might come back if the War story thread gets interesting again. From my point of view, Dominion failed, the best game they had was the one before Wormholes got introduced (though the got fleet fights working at that point, they killed them again in Dominion).

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 12:05:54 AM

I'm not sure what is so terrible about "we're letting you build a new type of mining pos on planets" that could possibly be "the final straw"?

tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 03:07:00 AM

I don't see what's so final straw about it either, really, if only they'd fix the fleet lag problem, and make damn sure the sov system worked perfectly etc.

Then again I'm possibly not the bitter vet Comstar is.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Vaiti
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 06:33:17 AM

I foresee planet goo being the thing used to finally let us customize our ships with Hello Kitty paint jobs. I'm personally excited.

EvE: Caern Robillard | Cua D'Mon
Steam Profile
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 08:59:44 AM

Wouldn't be that surprised if it just turns out to be a way for newer players to do small scale moon mining. If I don't have to manage 27 types of fuel and do 12 hours of logistics a week then I would fuck around with this, even if on my level of commitment the output would be no better than datacore research (current datacore research, not at-launch broken datacore research).

The gear change from sucking rocks to PoS mining is pretty steep at the moment. Needs an intermediate step.

Someone here who knows wtf must be able to tell us if the resources being mined in the EVE University video are new or pre-existing flavours of goo?

As for Dust - I honestly doubt CCP have even figured the connection out themselves.

I foresee planet goo being the thing used to finally let us customize our ships with Hello Kitty paint jobs. I'm personally excited.

Don't you read eve-o? Apparently this would cause lag because ccp generate all the rendering commands server side or something idk.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 09:31:24 AM

9 digits precision past decimal point in the UI ffffffuuuuu
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 13, 2010, 05:47:40 PM

Holy crap this thing sucks.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: March 13, 2010, 05:59:08 PM

Neat video.
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 13, 2010, 06:26:56 PM

Reminds me of Mass Effect 2 planetary probing.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 06:43:40 PM

Well i just spent 6 minutes of my life watching a video finding out there's no way i would spend hours of my life doing that.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 06:59:10 PM

Well i just spent 6 minutes of my life watching a video finding out there's no way i would spend hours of my life doing that.
I know what planet and at what hours you can get quality 1000 water super easily.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 14, 2010, 02:52:06 PM

I know what planet and at what hours you can get quality 1000 water super easily.

I remember when that type of comment would get me moving harvesters ASAP. I miss that....
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: March 14, 2010, 02:55:05 PM

I remember when that type of comment would get me moving harvesters ASAP. I miss that....
You obviously weren't on my server. Because that type of comment wouldn't get made before I riddled the area with large harvesters. I do remember the great corn rush though, in the dead center of my goddamn player city. You couldn't even navigate the place after people found out the area you could harvest from was MASSIVE. It was... depressing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: March 14, 2010, 06:30:15 PM

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 05:39:59 PM

Tyrannids website is up.

http://www.eveonline.com/tyrannis/default.asp

Going live 18th May

Patch also includes making the scorpion look not shit.

Old Scorp                                 New Scorp

Oh, and if you have an alienware laptop PC, the stupid lights surrounding it will start glowly funny colours whenever people start fucking with you in game.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Eve Online  |  Topic: Tyrannis - Summer Update 2010  
Jump to: