Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:25:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned.  (Read 445485 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #350 on: September 20, 2010, 10:58:48 AM

Who are you and what have you done with the real Sky?!
Drug testing.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #351 on: September 20, 2010, 11:32:05 AM

GameTrailers gave Civ V a 94.  Not sure if it's the highest score they've ever given but it's up there.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #352 on: September 20, 2010, 11:59:46 AM

I've seen nothing but excellent reviews so far (for whatever they are worth).  Looking forward to playing some tomorrow night, though to be honest, I am going to have a lot of work to do... going to try to squeeze in a couple hours.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #353 on: September 20, 2010, 12:55:25 PM

Did they ditch espionage and corporations?

Those are two systems that flatly ruined Civ4 for me, and - apparently - they were both the precious, precious children of Civ5's lead designer.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #354 on: September 20, 2010, 12:56:53 PM

Did they ditch espionage and corporations?

Those are two systems that flatly ruined Civ4 for me, and - apparently - they were both the precious, precious children of Civ5's lead designer.

Read one review that said they're both gone.
WayAbvPar

Reply #355 on: September 20, 2010, 01:15:30 PM

As is religion.

I broke down and bought it from Steam over the weekend. And couldn't control myself, so I ended up with the deluxe edition. In my defense, I was under the impression it was $69.99 instead of $59.99, so I figured the 10 bux was doable.

A little less than 18 hours to go. Woooooooohoooooo.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #356 on: September 20, 2010, 01:43:21 PM

Not liking espionage I can understand.  Having spies whack parts of my infrastructure, when I simply couldn't figure out a defense, was really irritating.

I'm not sure I get disliking corporations though.

I don't mind both being gone from Civ V, for sure.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #357 on: September 20, 2010, 02:51:38 PM

I think streamlining the game in those regards was a good idea since the single unit thing really brings the strategy back into this TBS game. A lot of the features were really just pointless bloat they added to the game when everything devolved into stack on stack wankery.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #358 on: September 20, 2010, 02:52:29 PM

You can save $15 if you buy it through D2D before 10am tomorrow, if you want the first DLC (scenario maps and extra civ) and don't care about the music CD & making of video, using the D2D and the PAX promo code "PAX".

Get what amounts to the steam deluxe edition gameplay for $44.95

Note that this is exactly like buying through steam, since civ5 is a steamworks game; they literally email you a cd-key and you add it to your account & preload through steam. Just like a steam game, except that you save $15.

Small note: This MIGHT not be 100% true, it includes "Double Civilization 1st DLC" instead of "Babylon" which some people think may be different. This is why I hate fucking DLC.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:17:27 PM by bhodi »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #359 on: September 20, 2010, 03:17:11 PM

I'm going to miss religion in Civ V.  I wish they had made it less powerful.  I like to try to convert every religion to mine, haven't done it yet, was close with Buddhism but those damn Hindu kept at it.  Sent them all to meet their pagan gods!

BUDDHA OR A BEATIN', YOUR CHOICE.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #360 on: September 20, 2010, 03:20:10 PM

The reviews are making this hard to resist.  But I must.. tomorrow is also DeathSpank and next week is Dead Rising 2.   I MUST BE STRONG.

-Rasix
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #361 on: September 20, 2010, 03:31:54 PM

http://fidgit.com/archives/2010/09/10_cool_things_in_civilization.php

OTOH, don't like reading the reports that the game has been dumbed down.

That and dumping religion.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 03:41:12 PM by naum »

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #362 on: September 20, 2010, 03:43:50 PM

snip

You just saved me 15$.  Thanks, bro.

AKA Gyoza
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #363 on: September 20, 2010, 03:58:46 PM

Not liking espionage I can understand.  Having spies whack parts of my infrastructure, when I simply couldn't figure out a defense, was really irritating.

I'm not sure I get disliking corporations though.

I don't mind both being gone from Civ V, for sure.

I think a lot of people disliked corps because they ate resources and you couldn't block people from sending them at you without nuking open border agreements, which was worse than the resource nuking.

Religions, on the other hand, were fun but couldn't be implemented correctly in their attempt to keep them PC.  I'll miss them but we're better off without them as they were implemented.

Until I play, I keep filing people who complain it was "Dumbed Down" into the "They used all the stacking exploits they could" file.

Ed: From reading the list naum linked, the complaints about 'dumbing down' also seem to be aimed at quality of life fixes.  No micromanaging planes and transports?  About fucking time.  The only thing I'm iffy about is the insta-build with gold.. but hey, if a turn is a decade why not.  Also, #5 on that list? Definitely not 'dumbing down.'  I like it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:07:09 PM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #364 on: September 20, 2010, 04:11:47 PM

Small note: This MIGHT not be 100% true, it includes "Double Civilization 1st DLC" instead of "Babylon" which some people think may be different. This is why I hate fucking DLC.

Thanks man at worst you saved me $5  awesome, for real

Preloading now on steam.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #365 on: September 20, 2010, 04:25:13 PM

You can save $15 if you buy it through D2D before 10am tomorrow, if you want the first DLC (scenario maps and extra civ) and don't care about the music CD & making of video, using the D2D and the PAX promo code "PAX".

Get what amounts to the steam deluxe edition gameplay for $44.95

Note that this is exactly like buying through steam, since civ5 is a steamworks game; they literally email you a cd-key and you add it to your account & preload through steam. Just like a steam game, except that you save $15.

Either it is only $5 off or the deal changed (I put the text on the checkout below in the spoiler). The Pax promo code is only for $5 off, not $15. The link you provided only leads to the regular version ($49.95 -$5 = $44.95) and only has the scenario pack DLC for pre-ordering, while the deluxe version includes the scenario pack and Babylon but will cost $54.95 after the promo code is added.

Here's the differences of the deluxe versions (not counting soundtrack and behind the scenes because those don't matter anyways  why so serious?):
D2D is the first double civilization DLC scenario pack (for pre-ordering) and Babylon civ (for the deluxe version)
Steam is the Cradle of Civilizations map pack (for pre-ordering) and Babylon civ (for the deluxe version)

Supposedly, both the double civ and cradle of civ will be available for purchasable DLC at a later, unannounced, date.

All that said, thanks for the code and saving a few people $5. Hopefully people are clear as to which version does what.

Edit: Obviously, buying the regular version you lose out on the Babylon civ and leader, but then it really is $44.95
Edit 2: due to taxes, $5 off saves just over $1 compared to Steam (US-IL resident fwiw)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 04:42:32 PM by Segoris »
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #366 on: September 20, 2010, 04:58:05 PM

I don't suppose the Steam version will be active at midnight tonight... right?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #367 on: September 20, 2010, 05:47:47 PM

I believe 10am pst tomorrow as that is when Steam starts their Tuesday. Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that is accurate.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #368 on: September 20, 2010, 07:07:17 PM

Drug testing.
Conservative board of directors. Not worth losing my career because my name shows up in the paper for a violation. Sucks, but I like my house.
I keep filing people who complain it was "Dumbed Down" into the "They used all the stacking exploits they could" file.
Civ IV was a dumbed-down version of FFH2. Civ is dumbed down to bland vanilla mediocrity.
Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #369 on: September 21, 2010, 04:47:55 AM

I believe 10am pst tomorrow as that is when Steam starts their Tuesday. Could be wrong but I'm fairly sure that is accurate.

It would appear from when it says it will unlock that it's 10am eastern.

I had no clue, I had expected to get in a half hour of playing before work :(

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #370 on: September 21, 2010, 06:39:44 AM

I did, too.  Have a bit of extra time because of a dentist appointment.  Now I'm reading about Civ V instead of playing it.  Cry

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #371 on: September 21, 2010, 06:49:29 AM

Thanks a lot! Steam and PayPal have up until this point refused to allow me to use my Norwegian VISA-card to shop steam-games from Canada, and I do not yet have a Canadian credit-card, so was kinda stumped on how to actually pre-order this :P Direct2Drive accepted my order though. Installing the game in Steam right now xD

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #372 on: September 21, 2010, 06:53:52 AM

Is it time to impotently rage against regionalized Internet again? My Steam tells me that Civilization 5 will be available at the 24th of September.

If boxed copy distributors are to blame I hope they go bankrupt and die a slow agonizing starvation death.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #373 on: September 21, 2010, 06:57:21 AM

Is it time to impotently rage against regionalized Internet again? My Steam tells me that Civilization 5 will be available at the 24th of September.

If boxed copy distributors are to blame I hope they go bankrupt and die a slow agonizing starvation death.

Have no fear. We'll post updates!  awesome, for real

Sorry man, that sucks.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #374 on: September 21, 2010, 07:20:56 AM

Trying to get it running, but shockingly the Steam servers seem to be getting hammered. Who'd have thought that would happen?

Edit- and suddenly it jumped from 0% updated to 81 then 82%. Squeee!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #375 on: September 21, 2010, 07:24:00 AM

Unlock faster dangit!
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #376 on: September 21, 2010, 07:27:03 AM

27%.  Sigh.  I guess I can eat breakfast.  Possibly lunch and dinner too.   Heartbreak
WayAbvPar

Reply #377 on: September 21, 2010, 07:28:05 AM

Updated thread title to reflect launchedness.

Decrypting 25%  Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart Heart

K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #378 on: September 21, 2010, 07:29:29 AM

There is an ingame unit called the Giant Death Robot
 Heart

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #379 on: September 21, 2010, 07:44:05 AM

Because I had to have the stupid mini's, I don't get the game until tomorrow.     Heartbreak
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #380 on: September 21, 2010, 08:05:49 AM

Not a good sign. NVidia 465 GTX (ver 258.96 stock). Launch a game with default video settings. Flickering crap all over. I can't see a map at all. I've tried various resolutions and video settings. Nothing. I also was surprised that DirectX10 and DirectX11 aren't supported on my system (tons of RAM, Quad-core, etc). Also the Anti-Alias settings are greyed out.  Very strange.

Waiting for a patch on launch day. Figures.

Note: After it's de-crypted make sure to check file integrity. It seems a lot of people are getting partial downloads that are reported as complete. This will download the remaining files needed. I still cannot play full-screen but at least it's running in a window now.

Well telling Steam I'm NOT running Vista fixed everything. Just played a complete game fullscreen.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam, right click on steam.exe, go to properties, got compatability, click on change settings for all users. Unselect "run this program in compatability mode"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 08:33:01 PM by bhodikhan »
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #381 on: September 21, 2010, 08:09:27 AM

Mine's in the mail.

I hope.

GoGamer doesn't seem to offer tracking on order paid through PayPal.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #382 on: September 21, 2010, 10:11:14 AM

I have to wait another 2 days. I am not happy with Steam.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #383 on: September 21, 2010, 10:12:32 AM

Performance is terrible, quad core, 4GB ram, windows 7, 8800gt and its dog slow. Also steam warned me the files were heavily fragmented right after decrypting (some achievements so far).
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 10:15:00 AM by fuser »
ffc
Terracotta Army

Reply #384 on: September 21, 2010, 10:21:11 AM

I managed to resist buying it until trying the demo, which is now available if anyone is interested.

Also, I just noticed being able to grab AMD Catalyst video card updates through Steam.  Pretty nice.  InfoMore info.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 51 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned.  
Jump to: