Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 02:34:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned. 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned.  (Read 452933 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 22, 2010, 03:28:09 PM

This will be my first Civilization game. The need to play something like Dawn of Discovery that isn't Ubisoft and a desire to return to games like Master of Orion has fueled this purchase.

I'm scurred.   huh

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #71 on: June 22, 2010, 04:55:32 PM

I'm still a bit torn on the one unit per tile thing.

Its been a long time, but isn't that how the original played out?

IIRC you could stack in the original but the entire stack died if you lost on defence.

Yep... which lead to only stacking defenseless units (like the settlers or diplomats) with an offensive unit so they weren't raped.

This will be my first Civilization game. The need to play something like Dawn of Discovery that isn't Ubisoft and a desire to return to games like Master of Orion has fueled this purchase.

I'm scurred.   huh

Just play at a level that's fun for you.  Start out at Chieftain or Settler if you're really scared and want to learn it to the endgame.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #72 on: June 22, 2010, 05:23:29 PM

I don't think I've ever played above Prince. Beyond that it just became really obvious the computer was cheating, and that bothered me more than it felt like a challenge.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 22, 2010, 08:05:38 PM

I don't think I've ever played above Prince. Beyond that it just became really obvious the computer was cheating, and that bothered me more than it felt like a challenge.

Back in the day I played above that level.  These days I just want to play an even game and enjoy doing so.  But yeah I hated them cheating bastards.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #74 on: June 22, 2010, 08:11:28 PM

I forget what level I played on, but I recall puttering around thinking I was doing ok as I had triremes, swordsmen and 3 cities going and hadn't seen another civ yet.

That was when the stack of Knights showed up.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #75 on: June 22, 2010, 10:16:51 PM

I'm excited for this more than any other game.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 23, 2010, 06:14:03 AM

Same.  I don't mind a challenging AI, but I simply couldn't keep up with massive bonuses above that level.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: June 23, 2010, 06:41:48 AM

Yeah, the people who play at the highest levels are generally borderline abusing game mechanics to achieve victories.  To me, that's not very compelling but some people like it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:41:42 AM by Murgos »

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: June 23, 2010, 08:09:01 AM

I forget what level I played on, but I recall puttering around thinking I was doing ok as I had triremes, swordsmen and 3 cities going and hadn't seen another civ yet.

That was when the stack of Knights showed up.
I tended to play my first few games on the easiest or second-easiest level. However, once I got to the point where I got so pissed about my neighbor's chariots stooging around inside my borders that I used F-16s to blow them up, I'd make a note to bump up the difficulty next game. :)

Then again, sometimes that is the fun.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: June 23, 2010, 01:02:02 PM

I always set at the 1:1 level (can't remember which one that is)… …and if I need a challenge then will opt for totally random world setups (i.e., dryer/wetter/warmer/colder planets can make it tough getting your civ ramped up, especially with a bad start location draw).

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 23, 2010, 02:27:38 PM

noble is essentially 1:1.  i find monarch challenging.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 23, 2010, 04:54:26 PM

Just won a random civ Pangaea game on Monarch.  Got a diplomatic victory at 1726 A.D.  Normalized score was like 86,000.  Of course, I lucked out with Rome.  Praets are so far and away the best unit in the game it's basically easy mode considering they are viable from the iron age until someone gets riflemen.  Even macemen/x-bows don't totally own them because praets are so cheap.  I think I could take the next difficulty up after Monarch but it would be a chore because I'd have to get a domination victory.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 24, 2010, 05:49:31 PM

Another Civ fan here!  I've played II-IV and looking forward to V.  As a veteran wargamer, I'm glad to see hexes and I do hope the combat is more detailed.  Civ is one of the very few games that I can't stop playing.  Also liked Civ Rev very much.  I didn't mind giving up some complexity for lay on your couch eatin' Cheetos fun.

Shit, I may fire that up again...
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 24, 2010, 06:38:01 PM

The tutorial, user experience, and how well the game conveys information will make or break this game for me. I gotta be confident that I know what I'm doing.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #84 on: June 24, 2010, 07:12:45 PM

Don't play the best Civ, FFH2. It's got a pretty rough learning curve. For a game like that, I'm ok with it, since it means decent versatility and depth, something vanilla civ lacks. Kael has actually made me somewhat 'meh' about Civ V, I want to know what he's doing next.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #85 on: June 24, 2010, 08:28:07 PM

Kael has actually made me somewhat 'meh' about Civ V, I want to know what he's doing next.

Chedd linked previously he's doing a standalone game next

WayAbvPar

Reply #86 on: August 05, 2010, 11:35:36 AM

Gamespot preview

I hate (HATE!!!!!) the art deco crap. The actual gameplay sounds awesome, however.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: August 05, 2010, 11:52:42 AM

I think the Art Deco look is fantastic, but I'm a fan of it in general so Ohhhhh, I see..

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #88 on: August 05, 2010, 11:55:31 AM

I really like the art deco interface.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: August 05, 2010, 11:59:52 AM

Also an art deco fan.
WayAbvPar

Reply #90 on: August 05, 2010, 12:07:13 PM

You people are deranged!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: August 05, 2010, 12:13:06 PM

Art for art's sake...

AKA Gyoza
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: August 05, 2010, 01:12:27 PM

Interface looks great, imo.

Over and out.
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: August 05, 2010, 01:22:36 PM

I like it.  Futura is the greatest font of all time. 

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #94 on: August 05, 2010, 01:23:52 PM

Indubitably.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: August 05, 2010, 01:48:17 PM

Love Letters
proudft
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: August 05, 2010, 01:48:51 PM

Careful, his mountain lion will get you.  That thing is possessive.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: August 05, 2010, 02:28:04 PM

You people are deranged!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Its not like anything they've shown is like way out there art deco either, its pretty tame and doesn't take a lot of chances.  Is it really that bad?  I imagine most people wouldn't even recognize it as art deco without being told thats what it is.
WayAbvPar

Reply #98 on: August 05, 2010, 02:30:50 PM

The stuff around the edges is pretty apparent, as is the look of the modern cities when they get large. Something about the outline or the shape of the interface stuff just annoys me. I am sure I won't even notice it after a few hours of play, but just looking at screenshots it is glaring.

Edit- looking at the screenshots again, it is definitely the outlining around all the icons that bugs me, as well as the font. Bleah.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:36:02 PM by WayAbvPar »

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #99 on: August 05, 2010, 02:59:12 PM

I just hope it's narrated by Leonard Nemoy.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: August 05, 2010, 03:16:46 PM

I imagine most people wouldn't even recognize it as art deco without being told thats what it is.
Quote from: gaming rag
Also, the game's clean art deco look--a tip of the hat to 2K Games' BioShock--
Ohhhhh, I see.
JWIV
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: August 05, 2010, 03:27:52 PM

Sys requirements are up.  Time to plot out your upgrade if required:

http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/system_requirements

Minimum Requirements
Operating System: Windows® XP SP3/ Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: Dual Core CPU
Memory: 2GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 256 MB ATI HD2600 XT or better, 256 MB nVidia 7900 GS or better, or Core i3 or better integrated graphics
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 9.0c

Recommended Requirements
Operating System: Windows® Vista SP2/ Windows® 7
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 8 GB Free
DVD-ROM Drive: Required for disc-based installation
Video: 512 MB ATI 4800 series or better, 512 MB nVidia 9800 series or better
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX®: DirectX® version 11
Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.
Internet Connection and acceptance of Steam™ Subscriber Agreement required for activation. See www.steampowered.com/agreement for details
WayAbvPar

Reply #102 on: August 05, 2010, 03:28:09 PM

I just hope it's narrated by Leonard Nemoy.

Gonna be Morgan Sheppard.

Hopefully this will be optimized for quad cores and not bog down to a grind in the modern/future age.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 03:30:03 PM by WayAbvPar »

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #103 on: August 05, 2010, 03:38:04 PM

The tutorial, user experience, and how well the game conveys information will make or break this game for me.

I want  you to promise me now that you will BiiF this.   why so serious?
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #104 on: August 07, 2010, 07:11:17 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 51 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Civilization V- Might actually be good now. Stay tuned.  
Jump to: