Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:27:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPad 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33 Go Down Print
Author Topic: iPad  (Read 302578 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #980 on: June 07, 2010, 07:34:37 PM

What HTC offering is better than the iPhone 4? The screen is pretty damn sharp. Sure the Evo is a little bigger (and heavier and thicker), but much lower resolution.

Not trolling, I actually want to know.

- Viin
Nerf
Terracotta Army

The Presence of Your Vehicle Has Been Documented

Reply #981 on: June 07, 2010, 08:51:10 PM

What HTC offering is better than the iPhone 4? The screen is pretty damn sharp. Sure the Evo is a little bigger (and heavier and thicker), but much lower resolution.

Not trolling, I actually want to know.

Unlimited data?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #982 on: June 07, 2010, 09:28:32 PM

Unless you're just being a snark, that's an AT&T thing.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #983 on: June 08, 2010, 05:36:17 AM

A good comparison of the Evo 4g and the iPhone 4:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-20007000-233.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

Seems pretty even to me on a lot of levels. I guess the biggest difference would be you get a bigger screen with the Evo and more resolution with the iPhone.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #984 on: June 08, 2010, 06:13:56 AM

Unless you're just being a snark, that's an AT&T thing.
The device and carrier are inseparable if it's your only option, and you should treat the experience as such.

It's about the total experience package. It doesn't matter how sweet your rims are if they are on a piece of shit honda.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #985 on: June 08, 2010, 06:19:40 AM

I'm not going to lie:  despite being a life long Apple hater, I have a giant boner for the iPhone 4.  Do want!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #986 on: June 08, 2010, 09:04:29 AM

I, on the other hand, threw up a little bit in my mouth when I heard that the new iPhone will allow iAds. It'll probably have me switching carriers -back- to Sprint and into an EVO.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #987 on: June 08, 2010, 09:18:24 AM

You do realize that mobile ads are coming to Android too right?
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #988 on: June 08, 2010, 09:21:04 AM

The new iMovie app for $5 coupled with the new 30fps 720p video record will allow you create your own HD pr0n  why so serious?
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #989 on: June 08, 2010, 09:22:12 AM

No, I did not. sigh. I figured, what with the whole open source yay I'm a hippy unix-ey phone where the girls are unshaven and the men can scour a pot with their necks, they'd be safe from it. Naive me.

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #990 on: June 08, 2010, 09:24:49 AM

The extra special joy of iAds is that they come right on the heels of AT&T's new "we fuck you for every megabyte" data plans.  So enjoy your magical and revolutionary iAds, and oh by the way you also get to pay for the bandwidth they consume.  And while the new video chat intelligently shuts itself off when you're not on a wifi connection, Steve must've accidentally forgotten to mention that iAds do the same too.  Right?   Ohhhhh, I see.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #991 on: June 08, 2010, 09:25:21 AM

No, I did not. sigh. I figured, what with the whole open source yay I'm a hippy unix-ey phone where the girls are unshaven and the men can scour a pot with their necks, they'd be safe from it. Naive me.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/weve-officially-acquired-admob.html
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #992 on: June 08, 2010, 09:29:22 AM

Steve must've accidentally forgotten to mention that iAds do the same too.  Right?   Ohhhhh, I see.

Are you just speculating or have you read somewhere that somehow the embedded ads keep using 3/4G while on wifi?

Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #993 on: June 08, 2010, 09:33:55 AM

Are you just speculating or have you read somewhere that somehow the embedded ads keep using 3/4G while on wifi?

They probably do use the wifi connection if you're on wifi, dunno one way or the other.  But that wasn't my point.  The video chat won't work if you're on 3G, to protect AT&T's crap network from the bandwidth consumption.  But I guarantee you that the iAds will still be merrily churning away while you're on 3G, consuming your now-finite bandwidth regardless of your wishes on the matter.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #994 on: June 08, 2010, 11:47:28 AM

Don't use apps that have ads?

I was annoyed by the new plans too, bu after lookin at my monthly usage for the last 6 months, I rarely get over 150mb/month. Between my wife and I, we're saving $30/month on the lower plan. Not sure how I'd ever see 2gb/month. Nice to have the option to pay less for less if that's all you need.

- Viin
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #995 on: June 08, 2010, 11:55:41 AM

Don't use apps that have ads?

I was annoyed by the new plans too, bu after lookin at my monthly usage for the last 6 months, I rarely get over 150mb/month. Between my wife and I, we're saving $30/month on the lower plan. Not sure how I'd ever see 2gb/month. Nice to have the option to pay less for less if that's all you need.

That 2 gig limit is probably going to put a serious damper on their Netflix integration.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Kitsune
Terracotta Army

Reply #996 on: June 08, 2010, 12:06:06 PM

Trying to stream Netflix over 3G is retarded in any event, it simply doesn't have anything approaching the constant bandwidth necessary for that endeavor.  Anyone trying to stream decent video to their mobile device will hopefully be bright enough to be on wifi to a real broadband connection, or using a better wireless tech like 4G.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #997 on: June 08, 2010, 12:07:48 PM

They've already been there forever -- see admob, etc.

Generally, in-app ads are used by some free apps as an alternative way of making money -- this happens on all smartphone platforms today, as far as I can tell.  I tend to uninstall such apps.  Screen real estate is too valuable on a mobile device.

Nobody's sticking ads in the core device apps or making you look at ads when making a call or nonsense like that, and if you hate apps with built-in advertising, you can uninstall them.  I don't think I use any apps that have advertising, except Pandora, which only shows ads if you don't have a paid account.

Google still does inline ads (sponsored results) with mobile search (just like desktop search).  You don't see them as often, but they tend to be quite valuable... there's a reason our friends in Cupertino kept Google as the default search engine even while adding Bing as an option...
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #998 on: June 08, 2010, 12:36:40 PM

True but I expect with your acquisition of AdMob it'll become more like iAd where it'll be a service developers can access through OS API calls rather than being a 3rd party thing.
schild
Administrator

Reply #999 on: June 08, 2010, 12:41:12 PM

True but I expect with your acquisition of AdMob it'll become more like iAd where it'll be a service developers can access through OS API calls rather than being a 3rd party thing.
I actually figured it was for some of their tech and distribution rather than in-boarding it into the Android experience in some well-designed but ultimately flawed and super annoying Apple-way.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1000 on: June 08, 2010, 12:43:20 PM

I think Trippy's point is that an iAd type of system is coming to Android as well.  The way iAd was presented, it seems like the bandwidth advertisements are going to use will go up exponentially since they can be tied to audio, video, and more complex animations.  At the current (at least on Android) ads are pretty basic and not very advanced and iAd seems like a huge step up from that.
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #1001 on: June 08, 2010, 12:49:44 PM

Oh, that sounds awesome. Like I don't hate ads with sounds on the PC to start with, now they're going to go for pissing me off on the cellphone as well? I can't wait.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1002 on: June 08, 2010, 01:00:23 PM

disclaimer: I don't work with the mobile ad guys, but I do work with the core OS team and know how we do things, however the following is personal speculation, not the Google party line, etc, etc:

I expect that it'll be more like a library+service from Google similar to how it's a library+service from AdMob today.  We expend quite a bit of effort in maintaining some clean separation between Android (the platform) and the Google Apps and services that can run on top of it (gmail, maps, market, etc).  One of the major efforts in Froyo was to make that separation even cleaner and fix some cases where the Google apps were "cheating" and using nonpublic APIs, etc, and to adjust the development process to avoid that happening again in the future.

I would be extremely surprised if the Android ever had advertising bolted in to the platform or core apps (at least as we build and ship it -- obviously some crazy oem+carrier could build some kinda of fully ad supported phone, I guess).

Google has made a business out of building advertising systems that make money for advertisers and don't piss off users.  I'd be shocked if we suddenly changed direction there.

Also, I personally suspect that, given an open market for apps, apps with annoying/intrusive advertising will naturally be displaced by those that are less annoying, etc.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:02:08 PM by Quinton »
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1003 on: June 08, 2010, 01:01:25 PM

Apparently, there are a few more issues with the iPhone 4 that give me pause:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1653278/ten-reasons-iphone-4g-bad-idea

Most notably for me, the wifi may blow goats (as usual). I still constantly struggle with my iPad's wifi. Currently my 3G iPhone's wifi, while a bit fussy, more or less works. Not all the time, but its ok.

I just don't get it. HOW does Apple go into production without thoroughly testing wifi on various networks, and more importantly, in wifi multi-hotspot environments, such as campuses? Makes my head hurt.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1004 on: June 08, 2010, 01:05:59 PM

I'd wait to see how the wifi fares in saner environments before passing judgement.  The Moscone West wifi situation is horrible and a room with thousands of people with active wifi devices really pushes the bounds of what the technology does well.  iPad does have some pretty bizarre antenna design (tiny antenna behind the plastic apple logo in the aluminum case), and apparently interference problems with the backlight, (which hopefully iPhone 4 with antenna-at-the-sides will avoid.
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1005 on: June 08, 2010, 01:11:36 PM

Even google had issues during their conference due to the bluetooth and wifi saturation
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1006 on: June 08, 2010, 01:13:43 PM

Most notably for me, the wifi may blow goats (as usual). I still constantly struggle with my iPad's wifi. Currently my 3G iPhone's wifi, while a bit fussy, more or less works. Not all the time, but its ok.

I just don't get it. HOW does Apple go into production without thoroughly testing wifi on various networks, and more importantly, in wifi multi-hotspot environments, such as campuses? Makes my head hurt.

At work, home, coffee shop, bar, etc.… …all in a WiFi cloud and iPhone 3Gs (and Mrs. Naum older 3G) and WiFi is very reliable… …new iPad model is being shipped to me, so don't have experience… …others in office, friends at the coffee shop, geek meetups, etc.… — WiFi functioning seems OK and have not heard complaints about WiFi…

…OTOH, although mobile coverage seems good and I don't get the drops and flakiness like others report except in one critical location — home, where 3G coverage can be very spotty, 4 bars, then nothing… …I believe it's a combo of both AT&T and some iPhone hardware architecture issues…

Have an annoyance with 3Gs phone now that I am headed back to Apple Store when I get a chance — headphone jack works but the controls on all my headphones (be they quality Etymotics or standard iPhone issue) no longer work — very annoying not to able to stop, play, FF, rewind, skip, change volume from the little mic clicker…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1007 on: June 08, 2010, 01:19:30 PM

Apparently, there are a few more issues with the iPhone 4 that give me pause:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1653278/ten-reasons-iphone-4g-bad-idea

Steve is incredibly anal about making sure his presentations are perfect. I can guarantee you that iPhone 4 was tested on Wi-Fi in that room before the keynote started.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1008 on: June 08, 2010, 01:33:03 PM

You guys DO know that AT&T has *always* had a 5GB cap on mobile bandwidth, right?

Yes, "unlimited" = 5GB. Which means that if you actually used 5GB of 3G internet, your bill would go up to $55 from $30.

I use iPhone/iPad 3G a lot on a daily basis (I use a jailbroken iPhone to tether the iPad) including occasionally streaming video and I've never gone above 1GB in bandwidth.

Sky - not falling. Unless you use your iPhone to tether your entire home's internet access or something.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:34:36 PM by Lum »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1009 on: June 08, 2010, 01:39:27 PM

The 5 GB "soft cap" is true of all the major carriers' "unlimited" plans here in the US. Dropping all the way down to 2 GB is pretty significant to me, though, despite AT&Ts claims. Mobile bandwidth usage per user is just going to be keep going up, not down.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #1010 on: June 08, 2010, 01:40:52 PM

Yeah, I'm debating whether or not to give up my grandfathered 5GB/mo rate when I pick up my launch day iPhone 4. According to AT&T I rarely have even come close to 1GB in the past year; it helps that I'm usually on some sort of wifi. The most I usually stream is radio while commuting.

You're not going to be streaming HD video over AT&T's 3G even if you wanted to, so there's pretty much a constant bandwidth cap in place anyway!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 01:42:40 PM by Lum »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1011 on: June 08, 2010, 01:48:31 PM

You guys DO know that AT&T has *always* had a 5GB cap on mobile bandwidth, right?
It wasn't always like that for the iPhone data plan. Pre-2008 it really was "Unlimited" (i.e. no "soft cap" fine print), though there presumably was the standard "we reserve the right to terminate/reduce your service for whatever reason at any time" clause in there somewhere. Course back then it was just EDGE so AT&T wasn't so worried about people using massive amounts of bandwidth of their iPhones.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1012 on: June 08, 2010, 02:14:05 PM

It wasn't always like that for the iPhone data plan. Pre-2008 it really was "Unlimited" (i.e. no "soft cap" fine print), though there presumably was the standard "we reserve the right to terminate/reduce your service for whatever reason at any time" clause in there somewhere. Course back then it was just EDGE so AT&T wasn't so worried about people using massive amounts of bandwidth of their iPhones.

Actually, just before the recent pullback and new rate categorization by AT&T, they went on record saying that the $30 a month iPad fee really was a "unlimited" that truly meant "unlimited" (unlike all the other "unlimited" mobile plans).

Which begs the question — why isn't AT&T, Verizon, etc.… being brought in front of congressional committees (or at least issued cease and desist, or subject to some fairness in advertising principle) for the particular perversion?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1013 on: June 08, 2010, 02:17:29 PM

Cause everybody knows they are supposed to read and understand all the fine print in their contracts? awesome, for real Ohhhhh, I see.
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #1014 on: June 08, 2010, 03:39:32 PM

The 5 GB "soft cap" is true of all the major carriers' "unlimited" plans here in the US. Dropping all the way down to 2 GB is pretty significant to me, though, despite AT&Ts claims. Mobile bandwidth usage per user is just going to be keep going up, not down.

Sprint's data plan for the EVO costs an extra $10 and is truly unlimited for both 3G and 4G.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 33 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: iPad  
Jump to: