Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Arise, Hellgate! Arise! (Free-to-play Hellgate coming to the States) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Arise, Hellgate! Arise! (Free-to-play Hellgate coming to the States)  (Read 36332 times)
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

on: January 18, 2010, 01:14:52 PM

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/61977

Flagship's ill-fated post-Apocalyptic MMORPG Hellgate: London will relaunch in North America, HanbitSoft announced today after securing the worldwide publishing rights.
The publisher picked up the rights from the action RPG's North American and European publisher Namco Bandai, who had continued running Hellgate's servers for several months after Flagship's demise but ultimately shut them down in February, 2009.

HanbitSoft has continued to develop and operate Hellgate: London in South Korea and recently launched a revamped version with a free-to-play option under the name of Hellgate: Resurrection. The publisher says this will be rolled out this year, "starting with China, Taiwan, and South East Asia followed by North America, Europe, and Japan."

Flagship's other MMORPG 'Mythos'--which was only ever playable in closed beta--is also slated for a US release courtesy of Hanbitsoft's fellow T3 Entertainment subsidiary Redbana, who are planning to make the fantasy action RPG free-to-play.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 01:29:46 PM

Oh good.  I still miss this game.  I never even deleted it from my computer. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:07:58 PM

Totally awesome, I cannot wait!   Heart

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 04:34:16 PM

I never got to try Mythos, I am intrigued.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:01:22 PM

Hellgate was the only game I have ever played with ZombieSigne, I believe.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
lesion

Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:39:26 PM

brrrrrg

vzzzzp

nqqqqt

*reinstall*

steam|a grue \[T]/
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:22 PM

Hellgate was the only game I have ever played with ZombieSigne, I believe.

That's you, that is.  You made that.  So you played with  yourself!  HA!

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 03:39:19 AM

I never played this in it's 'glory days' may give it a try, loot looks interesting.
Nightblade
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 08:40:40 PM

I never played this in it's 'glory days' may give it a try, loot looks interesting.

Er... This game had "Glory Days"?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 09:00:03 PM

Yes.  It was very well liked by the f13 community.  It was fun with random loots, but lack of updates killed it.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 09:59:30 PM

Splitting your playerbase into subs and non-subs is more likely what killed it, at least imo. 

I know that I didn't like it enough to pay monthly for it and I didn't like seeing other people that paid $50 for the box have access to shit I didn't.  If not for that, I'd likely have played it for months instead of three weeks.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 07:44:37 AM

The hub and spoke design of the game seems tailor made for DLC.  Throw in some free content from time to time to keep your non-paying audience returning (to give people someone to play with).

That's the current wisdom, anyway.  How is Borderlands doing?  Seems like Hellgate (other than being fully online, and a FAR friendlier mulitplayer experience) and Borderlands could have had a similar business model except for the fact that the Hellgate folks had to manage data centers.  If Borderlands is doing good enough to support continued development and sustain data centers, maybe Hellgate could have worked like that.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 08:11:47 AM

Borderlands has a separate problem in that its non-LAN multiplayer is a pain in the arse.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:06:34 AM

Yeah, I alluded to that with, "other than being fully online, and a FAR friendlier mulitplayer experience". 

A frequent point made about Borderlands is - it's MUCH more fun with a group of friends, which was my experience as well.  If getting into a group was less painful, doubtless Borderlands would have sold better (I think it sold pretty well as it is).

IMO, Hellgate crashed and burned due to financial reasons (queue f13.poster.X to correct me that Hellgate crashed because "it sucked!, jackass!") - they didn't have enough cash to create enough time to create enough content to maintain a subscription model (wow that sentence sucked).  But hell, even WoW doesn't have enough content to maintain everysubscription, but since they made a shitload of money they have plenty of time.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 02:41:17 PM

Yes.  It was very well liked by the f13 community.  It was fun with random loots, but lack of updates killed it.

I don't know about "very well liked". I remember Schild frothing over it a bit, but a lot of us could see the potential for the game to go both ways. I also don't think it was the subscription model that killed it. It was the utter buggyness, crap character design and skills that made no sense and where completely unbalanced that killed it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 05:23:35 PM

It would have done much better had they put in splitting stacks earlier.  I really believe that.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 06:26:13 AM

I don't know about "very well liked". I remember Schild frothing over it a bit, but a lot of us could see the potential for the game to go both ways. I also don't think it was the subscription model that killed it. It was the utter buggyness, crap character design and skills that made no sense and where completely unbalanced that killed it.

Well-spoken.  It was a pile of shit.

It would have done much better had they put in splitting stacks earlier.  I really believe that.

Further proof.  This is just a symptom of the underlying problem of DURRR that lay at the core of Hellgate.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 08:22:16 AM

I liked it.  It made me feel tough. 

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 03:51:17 PM

It made me feel like I was trying to have fun through a cardboard box.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 06:06:21 PM

The things I think I liked the most were the sounds my guns made, especially when reloading and the outfits were very nice.  That's mostly what I look for in games these days.  Nice clothes and cool noises.  Looking much beyond those is very nearly almost always disappointing.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 02:29:32 AM

Me too Signe (regarding the outfits and cool sounds - we're gonna rock APB!)

Also I think it's on my hard drive too... but mostly because you need the original disks to remove it for some stupid reason.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:32:26 AM by Furiously »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 09:04:07 PM

Just last week I found the beta files on one of my hard disks and deleted them.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 09:24:07 PM

Just last week I found the beta files on one of my hard disks and deleted them.

Cool story bro.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 12:00:23 PM

I am very tired.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 04:32:32 PM

I'm kinda interested to see HGL get a second shot. I'm also concerned with how Hanbitsoft is gonna treat the IP.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 05:20:22 PM

I'm also concerned with how Hanbitsoft is gonna treat the IP.

Really?

schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 05:39:25 PM

lol. The IP, right, because it's just caked in gold.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 09:14:05 PM

I'm also concerned with how Hanbitsoft is gonna treat the IP.

Really?

Yup. I rather like the setting. I'm hoping they don't smush the tone of the post demon-apocalypse world. And I also hope they don't throw the randomized levels and loot out for more static stuff.
In short, I hope they don't change the game too much and lose what I liked in the first place.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 10:15:55 PM

OK, when you say "IP" I think of the setting, lore and so on.  Personally, I think it would improve the game if they added neon ninjas, but I didn't find the setting unique enough to attach any significance to it.  I'm also not sure why I wouldn't just reinstall Titan Quest.

schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 11:03:00 PM

Hellgate, as an IP, is worth... well, probably not much. Pennies on the dollar of what it probably cost to make, IP would be thrown in as a bonus.
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 07:20:01 PM

I figure they'll be making a movie soon.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 05:00:02 PM

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 05:50:59 PM

Do the lifetime subs carry over to this new incarnation?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 06:54:59 PM

That would be... funny. I can't wait to see how they RMT this up.
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 01:11:15 AM

HG:L paperbacks are still going for eight bucks a pop on Amazon. They must be terrific to hold that sort of value! Since the game disappeared before I could play the first time around, maybe I should brush up on the lore.  why so serious?

(Just read a few pages from an excerpt. The Halo books are better haha)

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Hellgate: London  |  Topic: Arise, Hellgate! Arise! (Free-to-play Hellgate coming to the States)  
Jump to: