Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:22:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Kick Ass 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kick Ass  (Read 27112 times)
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:31 PM

I only found this subject line in a search in the Comics section. I figure since it's a movie trailer... well...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810063108/video/17522078
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:44:15 PM

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:50:05 PM

Looks fun.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:09:18 PM

I'm all over this movie.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:17:44 PM

This is a must see movie.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 01:35:20 PM

This looks so much better than that poorly drawn comic it's based off of, bleh.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 05:46:16 AM

No thread for this yet?

Trailer

I've been hearing positive things about this.

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:41:38 AM

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:55:04 PM

Bleh, I did searches for Kickass, Kick Ass and Kick-Ass and somehow missed this. Sorry

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 05:01:23 PM

None of the trailers did it for me, but this clip will at least have me reading reviews.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 09:45:28 AM

None of the trailers did it for me, but this clip will at least have me reading reviews.

Link now comes with more blokt. Any back up?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 03:55:21 PM

Link now comes with more blokt. Any back up?
Here's someone vaguely official looking. Also here's a terrible bootleg.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 08:44:28 AM

Great film. Manages to handle a wide range of film tones (absurdist comedy, inspirational speeches, ultra-violence, brutal violence, high school drama) without anything seeming out of place.

Cage's Big Daddy out-Batman's "Dark Knight"'s action scenes, IMO.

"Kick Ass" also really shows up how poorly "Spider-Man" dealt with Peter Parker - Parker was always a 'special' nerd that people took interest in. Aaron Johnson's Dave is a nerd that is special in absolutely no way (before he puts on the costume, anyway) which makes things ring with a lot more impact.

I'm not so enamoured with Hit Girl as some people, but the Big Daddy / Hit Girl relationship is the best superhero / sidekick relationship I've seen and makes its own twisted kind of sense.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:51:45 AM

I pretty much agree with UnSub. This movie unequivocally kicked ass. It's enormous fun to watch and pokes at a wide variety of genres. It's incredibly contemporary in the way it pieces together all the things the film industry has learned from teen comedies and comic book films - especially the films of Michael Cera and Sin City.

I went to a 1 AM sneak preview showing and it was totally worth it.

Also, it has McLovin.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 03:16:55 PM

Just saw this today, loved it.  One of the better superhero movies out there by far. 

Although they could have just named this movie Hit-Girl.   awesome, for real
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 11:40:41 PM

Enjoyed this quite a bit.  Definitely going to buy it on DVD so I can look for all the sly little nods and jabs.  I almost LOLed when I saw "The Spirit 3" on a marquee.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 10:39:13 AM

Going to see this tonight.  I suspect my wife is going to hate it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 02:00:05 PM

Two thumbs up from my son & I.

Is the comic it is based on any good?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 02:12:39 PM

On a scale of 1 to Kill Bill, how violent is this movie?  I want to see it, but have a tough time paying to watch gratuitous violence.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 02:14:49 PM

It's pretty violent, but I don't think it's overdone like Kill Bill was. 
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 10:53:04 PM

Just saw it.  Fucking Awesome.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 05:58:36 AM

Saw it.  Liked it quite a lot.  It's violent, but not stupidly so.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 11:27:23 AM

What did the wife think of it?
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 12:06:39 PM

I, too, enjoyed this movie.

They're already talking about a sequel.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 03:33:10 PM

What did the wife think of it?

She was somewhat positive about it.  Kinda liked it, I'd say.  It's hard not to like.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 04:27:56 PM

Great movie.  I was not prepared for it to be as much a super hero movie as it was. I was going in thinking it'd be an utlra-violent parody throughout but it takes itself seriously at times and has a good story.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 06:03:31 PM

On a scale of 1 to Kill Bill, how violent is this movie?  I want to see it, but have a tough time paying to watch gratuitous violence.

There is the wire-fu violence - people losing body parts to a naginata - and lots of stabbing / shooting.

Then there is the more brutal torture bit. It's not "Saw", but it is very much people getting stomped on.

Lots of blood splatter all round. I think it is well done - if you are going to go around fighting crime by beating people up, there will be blood. Also, even the minor league criminals can do massive damage to you.

I almost LOLed when I saw "The Spirit 3" on a marquee.

My friend and I laughed at this too. After the film he was talking about how it'd be great to have "real" superheroes and I commented that for this to happen, "The Spirit" would need to have not just one, but two sequels. We both agreed that this price wasn't worth paying.

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 07:42:12 PM

I saw this today and enjoyed it a lot.  MUCH better than I thought it was going to be.  It does, however, earn its R rating and some people might find the violence, esp. regarding Hit Girl, to be too much.  Still, if you're going to see an R rated movie with violence in it you shouldn't be too shocked when you see it.  I was kind of disappointed to see many kids in the theater, most around the same age as Hit Girl or younger, with their parents.  This is NOT a movie for kids that young, even though its about super heroes and school aged kids.  Take them to see How to Train Your Dragon or something.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 07:36:58 AM

They were checking IDs at the theatre I went to.

Awesome movie. I actually expected a 'sillier' movie, but it has some very serious scenes to it.  I routinely went from laughing to wincing.

Hit Girl will become an iconic character that is talked about for years. That 12 year old girl kicks more ass, and better, than most 'action' stars today.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 08:32:55 AM

Hit Girl will become an iconic character that is talked about for years. That 12 year old girl kicks more ass, and better, than most 'action' stars today.

This.  Even if it was wildly over-the-top, Hit Girl was great.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 09:02:53 AM

Haven't seen the movie but I have read the comic and based on the reviews I've read I'd say the comic does a better job of parodying ultra-violent superhero stuff simply be being more realistic. Hit Girl has got some obvious martial arts skill in the comic and fucks people up but it seems like the did the same treatment Watchmen's fight scenes got with lots of Wire Fu and slow motion impossible to achieve manoeuvres. The comic also spends quite a lot more time following Kick Ass himself and has a pretty good portrayal of what you'd expect the life of someone without powers or training that decided to become a costumed hero.

I'm willing to bet they're both entertaining but the film sounds more like mindless action, though the comic itself is pretty clearly aimed at getting turned into a film rather than just being a graphic novel.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 09:07:15 AM

That was fantastic.

Comic was pretty boring. Not nearly as bad as Scott Pilgrim was though. The movie (for the latter) looks like trash.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 09:22:28 AM

Haven't seen the movie but I have read the comic and based on the reviews I've read I'd say the comic does a better job of parodying ultra-violent superhero stuff simply be being more realistic. Hit Girl has got some obvious martial arts skill in the comic and fucks people up but it seems like the did the same treatment Watchmen's fight scenes got with lots of Wire Fu and slow motion impossible to achieve manoeuvres. The comic also spends quite a lot more time following Kick Ass himself and has a pretty good portrayal of what you'd expect the life of someone without powers or training that decided to become a costumed hero.

I'm willing to bet they're both entertaining but the film sounds more like mindless action, though the comic itself is pretty clearly aimed at getting turned into a film rather than just being a graphic novel.

No...the film captures all of the above pretty well, I'd say. 

The only problem with the 12 year-old girl slaughtering so many grown men is the fact that she is a 12 year-old girl.  That, in and of itself, is completely ridiculous.  The movie is still good (great?).

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:17 AM

The movie is a parody and it's not.  There are some parts that are in fact as incredulous as comic books(hit girl for instance)  I think though that the movie does a good job of blending the realistic and the fantastic

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 01:22:18 PM

The reports that it came in at #2 at 19.8 million? Turns out it was #1, and How To Train Your Dragon was falsely reported at #1 with 20.0 million (it's 19.6 million).

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Kick Ass  
Jump to: