Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:13:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Kick Ass 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kick Ass  (Read 27130 times)
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: August 06, 2010, 10:32:38 AM

I think that was a limitation of the actress and not the character.

When she did the "Lookit the balisong daddy, lookit!" I thought it was a gag rather than a moment of innocence. Like "After bullet training let's get ice cream!"

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #71 on: August 06, 2010, 02:10:07 PM

... the theory that she's intentionally trying to sexuallize herself already.
Facepalm
Care to explain that a little bit? English may not work exactly the way you think it does.
I doubt that a 13 year old girl would "sexualize" herself "intentionally". Even today.

Or did you just mean that she hit puberty ?

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #72 on: August 06, 2010, 03:40:21 PM

If anyone's trying to intentionally sexualize her image, the smart money is always going to be on her agent and/or parents.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #73 on: August 06, 2010, 04:50:48 PM

Ya because girls never imitate what older women do.

"Me am play gods"
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #74 on: August 06, 2010, 05:11:02 PM

I doubt that a 13 year old girl would "sexualize" herself "intentionally". Even today.

Are you serious? I'm just going to choose to believe it's a difference between Germany and America and leave it at that, though I find that a stretch since google says your age of consent is 14. Normal, everyday girls here are starting to sexy themselves up by then, let alone celebrities.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #75 on: August 06, 2010, 05:17:19 PM

My daughter is 11 now, 12 in a month and a half.  Based on her friends 13 is late to start it.  She asked to begin shaving her legs a few weeks ago and wanted to do it last year but we said no way.

Her 13 year old friend up the street looks like and wears clothes I remember girls of 16 doing when I was that age.  Yes, indeed, 13-year-olds can and do tart themselves up. Unless belly tanks with spaghetti straps and those terry cloth daisy dukes are the only attire in the 13-year-old clothing aisle.  (Hint, it's not.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: August 06, 2010, 05:57:02 PM

Are you serious? I'm just going to choose to believe it's a difference between Germany and America and leave it at that, though I find that a stretch since google says your age of consent is 14. Normal, everyday girls here are starting to sexy themselves up by then, let alone celebrities.
I don't want to argue semantics. In my mind, to "sexualize" oneself is not the same thing you and others are talking about. Teenage girls and puberty (and all that comes) with it are not the same as sexualization(imho).

If anyone's trying to intentionally sexualize her image, the smart money is always going to be on her agent and/or parents.
This I agree with.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #77 on: August 06, 2010, 07:15:24 PM

What a "normal" girl gets away with and what a child actor does in scheduled TV appearances are not comparable.  I guarantee you that the clothes she puts on before she has any sort of public appearance are at least approved, if not carefully selected, by her parents or some other adult authority figure.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: August 06, 2010, 08:34:33 PM

What a "normal" girl gets away with and what a child actor does in scheduled TV appearances are not comparable.  I guarantee you that the clothes she puts on before she has any sort of public appearance are at least approved, if not carefully selected, by her parents or some other adult authority figure.
Are we argueing or are we in agreement ? I can't tell anymore.  awesome, for real

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #79 on: August 06, 2010, 11:47:41 PM

You and I are in agreement.  Everyone else is clinging to the fantasy that this little girl is offering herself to them of her own free will.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: August 07, 2010, 12:09:30 AM

Can't we all just agree to blame 'society' and get along?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: August 17, 2010, 11:22:45 PM

Saw this tonight. Was very impressed with how good of a film it was.  The violence was a bit over the top, I don't think he spent enough time looking around for crimes, but they did do a fairly good job with him looking for "Bitey".

Best superhero film I have seen all summer! (Note I have not seen Ironman 2 yet).

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: August 18, 2010, 03:39:23 AM

Caught this on Netflix and loved it.  It felt very original, with a fresh take on superheroes.   Plus, a lot of references to comics and comic book movies.  The last line was the best!  Great acting, though the main kid was average.  Nic Cage did good!  I actually believed he was someone other than Nic Cage.

I don't know anything about the books, but I'd love a sequel. 
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: August 18, 2010, 12:47:47 PM

Book sequels are happening. Movie sequels are...probably?

http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/32667/kick-ass-2/videos/MarkMillar_KickAss2.html

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: August 22, 2010, 02:21:52 PM

Watched this last night on DvD and was pleasantly surprised.  I would have preferred less gore, but the pace and action were as interesting as the story.  I expected not to enjoy this and really fell in love with it. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #85 on: September 03, 2010, 06:27:35 AM

Exceeded all my expectations. Loved it.  I didn't prepare the wife very well and the share was a bit "wtf?" at first, especially when Kick Ass gets graphically stabbed and hit by that car.  I liked the final fight between HG and the crime boss.  They didn't try and gloss over the fact that a grown man would have to really be a pansy to lose to an 11 year old girl in hand to hand, no matter her skills.  Nic Cage did a good job with a small role. 

I love it when movies combine parody and strong violence. Am I broken?

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Kick Ass  
Jump to: