Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:30:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Game of the Year - 2009 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of the Year - 2009  (Read 121398 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: January 01, 2010, 03:06:18 PM

Game of the Year - 2009

2009 is too depressing for commentary. So, here we go:

» Read More
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:21:04 PM

Don't own a Wii, but I think Punch-Out would be a solid Wii GOTY contender from what I've played of i.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 03:23:14 PM

It could've been if anyone had remembered it. Silence speaks louder than words though.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:40:46 PM

League of Legends deserves an award for most annoying and repetitive voice acting of the decade.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 04:48:33 PM

Ok.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 05:00:04 PM

You forgot modern warfail 2. why so serious?  But Torchlight..Hmm now I want to try it out.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 05:09:08 PM

Trials HD is frustratingly fun as far as downloadable shit goes. Not sure if it's 2009 per se. Don't know when the original came out.

Also you play too many rhythm games, that's the problem. Unless you're just making a comment against Activision soaking Guitar Hero for all it's worth. Then I agree. But rhythm games in general? You know more than most how many ways you can go about it..  Rez, Lumines, GH, DDR, PaRappa!! They're all different enough.

[edit] Wait wtf am I talking about. Perhaps Rez and Lumines aren't rhythm.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:10:45 PM by stray »
schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010, 05:15:50 PM

Trials was early 2008.

Rez is nearly 10 years old, Lumines 4 years old, Parappa even older than Rez. I get the point you're trying to make, but it's 2010, not the turn of the century. The genre has been beaten to death. Audiosurf was OK if shallow.
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 06:00:20 PM

Torchlight Heart
Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: January 01, 2010, 09:24:46 PM

What's up with the social site button a the end of the article?  Seems like this site is organised enough to submit good article by itself?  Would prefer to vote up an admin submission on Reddit that submit it myself.  Did I miss a protocol for social site?
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 09:29:33 PM

We don't submit our own articles, not that I'd call it as such, really.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 02:49:37 AM

Maybe I've been hanging around too much, because that list was awfully succinct.  I'd love to argue on any of those points, but can't.  At best I could say I'm having fun with SMB Wii, but that's only when I'm playing it with my 4 year old. 

And yes, without question, Demon's Souls is game of the year.  I really hope the devs get the opportunity to do another game in the same genre. 
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 06:33:37 AM

I hate to admit it, but I had a better time with Dragon Age. Preferably, I'd want a game with the best of both worlds, but when push comes to shove, I prefer dating sims over badass combat systems.  why so serious?

Eh, it's not even that good of a dating sim either... :\

Seriously though, Game of the Year for me is Dragon Age. You give a nod to it being best single player game - but that's why I'd vote for it as GOTY actually. Having a bigger story, more characters/party members, etc.. trumps anything online play in Demon's Souls could do for me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:00:17 AM by stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 10:46:01 AM

I wouldn't call the year a disappointment, but I don't play as many games as the author. I agree with DA:O and Anno 1404, both great games, also agree with the disappointment over gearbox lies. I haven't gotten around to playing many more 2009 games. Burnout Paradise is a really fun racer, though. I'm probably the only one who wasn't moist about Torchlight, but I don't like click to attack, especially when combined with click to move  swamp poop

Stray, no use debating the merits of the author's GOTY, we knew that long ago and nothing can change it. Most forum-based sites have a nomination thread and poll  why so serious?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 11:01:38 AM

You seem to think we care about your input.   Rofl Waffle 

This wasn't just schild, this was born of all the mods/admin.  There weren't any real vocal disagreements either (besides me ridiculing the Batman nods).   While my personal GOTY was Dragon Age, I can see where the award could and should go to Demon's Souls.  It was far more ambitious and a much greater achievement than DA.   Difficulty and platform may be issues for some, but other than that if you played it and weren't impressed; I'd say that you're crazy.  I loved DA, absolutely loved, but I can still see it for what it is: Baldur's Gate 3 with a stock Bioware plot and general lack of refinement/polish in certain areas.

It was a dull year.  The first quarter of 2010 will likely produce more serious GOTY candidates than we had this year.  Watch the editor's choice GOTY on Gamespot, not for validation, but for the sure amount of filler they had to lump into the category. 

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 12:15:07 PM

I wouldn't call the year a disappointment, but I don't play as many games as the author. I agree with DA:O and Anno 1404, both great games, also agree with the disappointment over gearbox lies. I haven't gotten around to playing many more 2009 games. Burnout Paradise is a really fun racer, though. I'm probably the only one who wasn't moist about Torchlight, but I don't like click to attack, especially when combined with click to move  swamp poop

Stray, no use debating the merits of the author's GOTY, we knew that long ago and nothing can change it. Most forum-based sites have a nomination thread and poll  why so serious?

Oh, I'm not debating really.. Just voicing my (meaningless  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?) input.

I would agree that Dragon Age isn't as ambitious. It's an odd throwback compared to Mass Effect and to an extent, Jade Empire. But they are pretty good at what they do either way. It also might have come at the right time.. I'm not the biggest fan of western rpgs to be honest, but I was starving for one like that. Go ahead, remake Baldur's Gate! I'm fine. Could use one every so often.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 12:31:25 PM

I hate to admit it, but I had a better time with Dragon Age. Preferably, I'd want a game with the best of both worlds, but when push comes to shove, I prefer dating sims over badass combat systems.  why so serious?

Eh, it's not even that good of a dating sim either... :\

Seriously though, Game of the Year for me is Dragon Age. You give a nod to it being best single player game - but that's why I'd vote for it as GOTY actually. Having a bigger story, more characters/party members, etc.. trumps anything online play in Demon's Souls could do for me.
Actually, if Demon's Souls had no online play, it still would've been more ambitious than Dragon Age. But that's neither here nor there, Dragon Age was pretty much a sequel. It broke no new ground for Bioware, it just took them a long ass time to make it. It was Baldur's Gate 2.5. I wouldn't even call it 3 as I played in Tactical view the whole game and all the 3D added for me was better conversations. The gameplay was as dry as it was back in 2000 and the story was somehow worse. The dialogue and characters were fantastic, there's no question, but it wasn't GOTY material. It might've been if the story didn't suck wind through a garden hose or if the gameplay had improved even one bit. It was a great game, but nothing new. Vampire: Bloodlines was a better RPG and tried to do new things with combat, it got GOTY back in 04 or 05 (too lazy to look up).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: January 02, 2010, 01:05:18 PM

Actually, if Demon's Souls had no online play, it still would've been more ambitious than Dragon Age. But that's neither here nor there,

Speaking strictly single player, it was more ambitious in combat, I agree. Otherwise, I don't. I complained about that before.. There was a less-is-more approach with the story there, and I can glean enough to appreciate it and all that, but I'd rather be beaten over the head with story and dialogue, like in Dragon Age. 144 voice actors! It's ambitious too, but in another way. In Demon's Souls, killing was primary.. and even the vendor NPCs basically told me to fuck off.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: January 02, 2010, 02:05:58 PM

Well then, I hope you enjoy SWTOR, but getting a bunch of people to record stuff doesn't net points at the end of the day. It can improve an experience, but it doesn't make an experience. Particularly when I'd rather it have been a movie and played it as such.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 03:30:10 PM

SWTOR's a neg. I know people say this stuff all the time, but I really have no faith in MMO's.

As far as cinematic goes, I look forward to Final Fantasy or Heavy Rain. It is very possible they'll both have less-than-revolutionary gameplay too.. I'm almost sure of it!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? But I can't help from getting psyched up.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 08:14:49 PM

This was good front page content, to the point and hard to debate because it didn't add a bunch of fluff categories.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 04, 2010, 09:28:39 AM

I think the consoles had a good year, Red Faction, Batman, Demon's Souls, Assassin's Creed II, and of course Borderlands, which has been by far my best "bang for the buck" game of the year.

PC ... eh let's face it my PC still belongs to WoW. Torchlight and MW2 both kept my interest for a couple weeks, then back to the old standby.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #22 on: January 04, 2010, 05:24:02 PM

I want to argue about LoL on that list, but i can't think of anything better for multiplayer.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
schild
Administrator

Reply #23 on: January 04, 2010, 05:28:42 PM

I want to argue about LoL on that list, but i can't think of anything better for multiplayer.

Yea, 2009 was awesome.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: January 04, 2010, 08:36:28 PM

I don't get the Batman AA hate.  Sure, I understand that hating it was schtick because the site meme was to love Demon Souls, and liking anything else was a threat to schild.  But in reality, AA was actually GOTY quality. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: January 04, 2010, 08:38:15 PM

I don't get the Batman AA hate.  Sure, I understand that hating it was schtick because the site meme was to love Demon Souls, and liking anything else was a threat to schild.  But in reality, AA was actually GOTY quality. 

Oh man. Good call on that post.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #26 on: January 04, 2010, 08:46:46 PM

After the whole Fall From Heaven back and forth last year, we don't consider mods for GOTY.

why so serious?

-Rasix
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: January 04, 2010, 09:10:16 PM

Add me to the list of people who doesn't get the Demon Souls love. Everything about the game screams frustration in a box to me.

I'd have gone with DA:O as GOTY as well but eh, it's not my list. Still, if nothing else, it makes me look forward to some of the games coming this year.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 06:58:53 AM

Riggs: If you still own Demon's Souls, play a Royal.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 10:57:55 AM

Most forum-based sites have a nomination thread and poll  why so serious?

We all know how this would turn out.  F13 is the site where people ignore Festivus rules in order to bitch about shit, so a GOTY poll would spring forth from the head of Zeus as a fully-formed SWG thread.

I'd like to think I am objective in my analyses and am aware of my personal biases.  I could not formulate any strong opposition to Demon's Souls.  Dragon Age has flaws, like the storage shit and a somewhat Mass-Effecty inventory.  Also, Baldur's Gate 3: Return of (Not) Pissing Off Your Insipid Teammates.  Having classified Dragon Age as a highly-polished sequel with various irritating flaws, we are left with little to stand against Demon's Souls except "we don't want to seem like we agree with schild in order to maintain cred".

Batman... I liked it and Rasix did not.  I decided that I was more easily impressed with it because I like beat-em-ups and collecting things, and that he probably had a more objective (cynical) opinion.  Besides that, we didn't have any serious alternatives.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 10:58:10 AM

Nah, I don't play games that are built to punch me in the cock while having a mockery of a story.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Dtrain
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 11:04:11 AM

This. Seriously.

I don't regret having started the game as the only naked class (which is also a melee class swamp poop) - it did give me some solid melee skills, but there are most assuredly some classes that are better off than others at the game's outset. But still, GOTY all the way.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 11:25:27 AM

we are left with little to stand against Demon's Souls except "we don't want to seem like we agree with schild in order to maintain cred".
Or, "not having a PS3"  awesome, for real

As I said, I generally agree with the picks as far as my experience goes. I just felt, even with tardery in the nomination thread, it would've been fun to do a community-based GotY thing. Not a big deal.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 11:32:23 AM

Sure.  The SWG threads were fun, too.  awesome, for real

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:02 AM

Community?!  ACK!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Game of the Year - 2009  
Jump to: