Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 08:00:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Game of the Year - 2009 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game of the Year - 2009  (Read 121143 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #70 on: January 07, 2010, 05:32:21 PM

2009 really, really wasn't OK. Not for people that live and breathe games as their primary hobby. It was fucking dreadful. Months and months of nothing and then.... Demon's Souls, Dragon Age, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2. That's a terrible year, not because these games are bad but because the rest of the year was so, so bad. Only people that imported Demon's Souls got any sort of reprieve from 2009 being the worst year since who knows when.

Jan/Feb 2010 is more impressive than all of 2009. Not even counting March, which is monstrous, which I've already said.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #71 on: January 07, 2010, 06:27:52 PM

Basically, there were a ton of "almosts" - including games that I personally enjoyed. However, there are defining games that you will look back upon and remember fondly - of all the games that came out last year (of which I played many), Anno 1404 is really the only one that stood above the pile. But don't get me wrong - it didn't stand far above it, just enough to get noticed. Any other year, it would have probably been buried.

Batman AA was a fun game - it was not exceptional, game breaking nor did it introduce any new innovation. I played it and then discarded it. Anno didn't really have any of those either, but Anno had the "Oh god, it's 4am" factor, which caught me personally several times. That was why it got my mention.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 06:30:10 PM by bhodi »
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #72 on: January 07, 2010, 11:06:15 PM

If we're talking about Batman though, the reason I haven't bought it yet isn't because of mechanics.. it just seems claustrophobic. "Arkam Asylum". That shit should be a level or two. Not an entire game. Someone convince me otherwise.

The worst place in the Batman universe has just gone to shit with Batman locked inside and the Joker at the helm. It's pretty much one man against an army of psychos. If Batman could drive around Gotham looking for power-ups the impact would be less.

The claustrophobia (and running commentary from the Joker) added to the game imo.

Batman: AA 2 (hmm, Batman: Alcoholics Anonymous does have a ring to it) will have more things around Gotham - personally I think this will just make the game run flabby, but we'll see.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #73 on: January 07, 2010, 11:27:54 PM

Well, I'm not exactly talking about power ups.. Err, like Crackdown? That's too much combat for Batman imho.

Not that I'm in the business of making Batman games, but now that you mention it, a wider scale ninja detective story would be cool. Perhaps that's more suitable for a Riddler game, I guess.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #74 on: January 07, 2010, 11:34:07 PM

If we're talking about Batman though, the reason I haven't bought it yet isn't because of mechanics.. it just seems claustrophobic. "Arkam Asylum". That shit should be a level or two. Not an entire game. Someone convince me otherwise.

You're not stuck in a single building; in the game Arkham is an island that's maybe a little bigger than Alcatraz.  There are several large buildings, a system of sewers and caves, and a lot of outdoor space.  It's not quite as sprawling as a GTA game, but it's by no means cramped.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #75 on: January 08, 2010, 06:52:46 AM

2009 really, really wasn't OK. Not for people that live and breathe games as their primary hobby.
And there we have it.
schild
Administrator

Reply #76 on: January 08, 2010, 07:29:36 AM

There we have what Sky? This IS a gaming website, you know.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #77 on: January 08, 2010, 08:18:53 AM

I think Sky is defecting.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 09, 2010, 03:08:12 AM

Demon's Souls, Dragon Age, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2. That's a terrible year, not because these games are bad but because the rest of the year was so, so bad.

Can taste in games get more generic?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #79 on: January 09, 2010, 05:31:10 AM

Can your reading comprehension get much worse?

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #80 on: January 09, 2010, 06:22:27 AM

I think this is the first time I've ever been accused of having generic taste in anything.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 09, 2010, 07:16:47 AM

Maybe he was referring to the public.
Rasix

Reply #82 on: January 09, 2010, 07:23:25 AM

Sure would make more sense than the inferred pronoun omission.   If so, my bad, but given the tone of the thread, it's easy to assume the worst.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 07:27:05 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 09, 2010, 09:58:41 AM

Just got here.

I agree with most of what you voted for, and definitely on your write-categories at the end. Except for two:

• Best multiplayer. Actually going with MW2 for this one, just personally. I'm biased by the type of game though. I like DoTA and all, but not more than online FPS with XP and unlocks.
  • Best PC game. Going Dragon Age here. In my opinion, this was a PC game that was effectively ported very well to consoles, a nice break from the usual way ports go. It just has too much of that old school feel in my mind. It isn't the usual style of RPG you find on consoles, and the whole control scheme just seems to work much better on PC. Torchlight is my #2 though for sure.

I'd also have voted for Super Mario Brothers Wii for a "only Wii title worth mentioning" category. It's a very solid and fun game. Sorta does to Mario what MW2 did for MW1: took an established popular thing and figured out how to actually make it better, not just rewrap it and call it new.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #84 on: January 09, 2010, 10:19:20 AM

Really...MW2? I'd rather vote for a fucking TF2 update than that pile of trash.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: January 09, 2010, 03:28:13 PM

I'll guess we have different opinions about that then smiley

Do you not like it because you protest the gimping (wouldn't blame ya) or because you don't think it's any good at all? I ask because if it's the latter, you may just not be a fan of the CoD series. And if you are but didn't like MW2, I'm really curious why. It's basically more of the same with emphasis on more. So if you don't like the source, you won't like it no matter how they polish it.

For me, I've liked the formula since CoD2 (really snappy UI) and very much like the later addition of XP and unlocks. And that snappy UI is why L4D and TF2 were never for me anything more than a passing fad for a few weeks.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #86 on: January 09, 2010, 03:52:10 PM

I've only played MW2 multiplayer, and don't own it.. But I'm not sure what's so different about it. Maps feel a bit small and frantic like shooters of the past. I'm bored of it, because it's just.. unrealistic. I see that there's all the ranking shit too, but that's been there before in other games.
Strazos

Reply #87 on: January 09, 2010, 05:54:43 PM

I dislike the gimping of the game. I had the previous one. I even wasted money on WaW.

But what is this "snappy UI" you speak of? Do you mean flashy?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: January 09, 2010, 06:47:35 PM

Can your reading comprehension get much worse?

Care to explain how I misread something?

This should be entertaining.

Out of Demon's Souls, Dragon Age, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2 Demon's Souls is the only game on that list that is even remotely different from the tastes of the general public and that list is basically a list of most hyped games. I don't see how anyone can claim that it isn't extremely generic.

Sorry to call a spade a spade.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 06:59:38 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rasix

Reply #89 on: January 09, 2010, 07:04:12 PM

Who exactly are you calling a spade?  How are you even responding to that second quote?

Head scratch

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #90 on: January 09, 2010, 07:17:27 PM

There's a good chance he's gone full-retard, as far as I can tell. Hell, I have no idea what he's talking about now.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: January 09, 2010, 07:28:49 PM

Who fails at reading comprehension here?

schild
Administrator

Reply #92 on: January 09, 2010, 07:29:50 PM

If we're still talking about the first post in this chain, you.

If we're talking about anything else, apparently you.

Make your fucking point in non-grunk already.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: January 09, 2010, 10:01:53 PM

Demon's Souls, Dragon Age, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2 represents an extremely generic list, it reads as an aggregation more than any sort of expression of personal taste.

Which is why I asked "Can taste in games get more generic?"

It's like someone saying "man the movies sucked this year outside of Transformers, Star Trek, Twilight and Avatar!" It reads to me as a list of "big" games, rather than a list of good games or games that any particular person would personally enjoy.

schild
Administrator

Reply #94 on: January 09, 2010, 10:03:50 PM

No shit it's a generic list. 2009 sucked. Read that post again and again until it sinks in.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: January 10, 2010, 05:16:16 AM

I've only played MW2 multiplayer, and don't own it.. But I'm not sure what's so different about it.

It's really just a bunch of little tiny improvements.The maps don't have as many obvious-best spots as MW1 did, the weapons can be further customized (double-attachments are awesome), all of the Perks now have sub-levels within them (and there's more variety of them), death streaks are interesting, you can shoot down UAVs, and so on. Like I said though, if you don't like the source or are bored with it, MW2 doesn't bring anything really new to the party.

I'm not missing dedicated servers as much as I thought I would. Can't say the same about lean though. That I miss. And it's a lot more gametic than immersive, with all the micro-win popups.

But what is this "snappy UI" you speak of? Do you mean flashy?

"Snappy" may not be the right term. For me it's really two parts:

• TF2 and L4D type games pidgeon-holed me into roles I felt were too restrictive. That's fine for an MMO because I expect that. And it was fine for old-school FPSes because it's what we had. But the recent CoD mp series let me customize things enough I felt like there was some choice.
  • L4D felt more like Tabula Rasa (or even Hellgate) than an FPS for me. I can't get past the feeling that these wanted to be FPSes but weren't really coded to act like them.

I don't want realistic. Because honestly that's usually lying in a sniper perch for three hours waiting for the one opportunity that day to take a shot smiley I just prefer the style of FPS the CoD series offers over others. Eventually when they don't make these for PCs anymore, I suspect I'll be completely done with the genre.
Strazos

Reply #96 on: January 10, 2010, 08:50:02 AM

Your beef isn't really with the UI then, and your second point...well, I'm not sure what to make of it.

And the pigeon-holing? What roles can you make for yourself in MW2 besides sniper and guys with guns? At least TF2 has medics and engineers, and now demo-knights.

Fear the Backstab!
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: January 10, 2010, 12:51:48 PM

I'm not articulating right. But it really doesn't matter. This is so far within YMMV land that it's not like I'm out to convince anyone smiley

I haven't kept up with TF2. Back in the day, I'd join a match, choose a class, do that one or two things, then when I died, choose another class, along the way getting achievements that gave me buffs (or were they actual abilities? Been that long...). Based on that description alone, the CoD series is the same, except you're building your own templates by combining stuff you unlocked. TF2 like that nowadays or is it still the weapons your class have are the only weapons you can use during that turn?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #98 on: January 10, 2010, 02:00:34 PM

Like I said though, if you don't like the source or are bored with it, MW2 doesn't bring anything really new to the party.

Not sure what you mean about the source. I'm not caught up in some hate against the Modern Warfare series if that's what you're asking. I know next to nothing about it. I just don't like the maps I played. Some feel tight and overcrowded, some had openings and holes everywhere which just makes for kill streaks from cheap ass angles. Living and dying feels sort of... random and not up to me. Granted, I didn't play a bunch. But that's my impression. That I can customize a "character" is sort of cool, I guess, but not something I'd miss. I mean umm.. actually I don't give a fuck. FPS's are about maps, not characters.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: January 10, 2010, 02:05:20 PM

I don't think you're alone in that experience Stray. Maybe it's also because I didn't play MW mp, but I just kept 'randomly' dying. My survival rate did go up once I started learning the maps, but by then I was sick of the game  awesome, for real
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: January 10, 2010, 04:58:25 PM

That the maps are too small and dense in MW2 appears to be a very common complaint.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 11, 2010, 08:31:49 AM

Demon's Souls, Dragon Age, Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2 and Modern Warfare 2 represents an extremely generic list, it reads as an aggregation more than any sort of expression of personal taste.

Which is why I asked "Can taste in games get more generic?"

It's like someone saying "man the movies sucked this year outside of Transformers, Star Trek, Twilight and Avatar!" It reads to me as a list of "big" games, rather than a list of good games or games that any particular person would personally enjoy.

There seems to be a large logical fallacy in your thinking.

It is true that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good but it's also true that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's bad or unoriginal or not worthy of applause.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #102 on: January 11, 2010, 03:25:26 PM

I think a game with a fairly big scale and high production values is a necessary qualifier for being considered GOTY material. More than likely, that means it'll be from some big publisher or something. Which in turn means it'll be popular somewhat. That isn't to say some clever indy idea isn't a good game, but for the most part, those are sort of "core" type of gameplay experiences. While better funded games, when done well, can do that and more.

[edit] I don't think comparing it to movies is a good idea. Barrier to entry and tools to make movies are different. I mean, like Robert Rodriguez for example can make a Blockbuster family movie under $40 mill. There's no such thing like that in gaming.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 03:35:21 PM by stray »
schild
Administrator

Reply #103 on: January 11, 2010, 03:32:46 PM

I think a game with a fairly big scale and high production values is a necessary qualifier for being considered GOTY material.

I am not willing to apply the Titanic Theorem to gaming. Sorry.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #104 on: January 11, 2010, 03:36:54 PM

I think a game with a fairly big scale and high production values is a necessary qualifier for being considered GOTY material.

I am not willing to apply the Titanic Theorem to gaming. Sorry.

Especially considering most of the games on this GOTY list didn't have a ton of money thrown into development (Dragon Age and Uncharted 2 pretty much being the only exceptions).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Game of the Year - 2009  
Jump to: