Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Inception 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Inception  (Read 50197 times)
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #175 on: August 31, 2010, 02:23:44 PM

The theory only works if the I.P. was self-contained, and even then it increases the chance of its possibility. The prequel comic brings about more of a "this is how the world is" theory.

In all honesty, there isn't a correct answer. It is a template by which multiple answers are correct without further evidence. It was designed that way on purpose.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #176 on: September 29, 2010, 05:54:21 AM

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:35:52 AM by K9 »

I love the smell of facepalm in the morning
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #177 on: November 20, 2010, 03:05:46 AM

I finally saw this on the plane just now. It was about as good as I thought it would be.

I can understand why some of the people here liked it, but for me it was a bit boring and pointless. I didn't think the special effects had much novelty and I cared more about the rich kid, the asian ceo dude, and that guy from 500 days of Summer than any of the other characters.. which still wasn't that much.

Stalker (the russian one) is a much better movie for me, in a somewhat similar vein.
schild
Administrator

Reply #178 on: December 26, 2010, 08:56:45 PM

Just saw this. I put it on the same level as Pan's Labyrinth.

Something a shitload of people loved, something that looked cool in the trailers, and something that was boring as hell when I finally saw it. Nothing was spoiled as all the memes about it made no goddamn sense without seeing the movie. (The rest of the post has nothing to do with Del Toro, who I love outside of Pan's Labyrinth)

Just regular old Christopher Nolan doing regular old Christopher Nolan bullshit.

He's the M. Night Shyamalackadingdong of action.

Both wander aimlessly through a desert trying to recreate their first meaningful movie, being Sixth Sense and Memento. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice? You can't, you half-baked, over-hyped, under-qualified uncreative jackasses.

PS The movie was absolutely gorgeous. But if I want something absolutely gorgeous AND good, I'll just go watch some Kurosawa or something. Or hell, Stalker, as mentioned in the post above this one.

PPS Ellen Page is kinda adorable.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 08:59:24 PM by schild »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #179 on: December 26, 2010, 08:58:42 PM

wb awesome, for real
schild
Administrator

Reply #180 on: December 26, 2010, 08:59:37 PM

Had some edits to make. I hadn't insulted Nolan enough.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #181 on: December 27, 2010, 01:29:12 PM

Needs more turtlenecks and berets

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #182 on: December 27, 2010, 03:33:09 PM

No surprise, but I disagree with what you said. Especially the part about Momento being Nolan's best work.

schild
Administrator

Reply #183 on: December 27, 2010, 03:35:09 PM

Fine, his Batman stuff is his best work but I don't really consider it his work. Much like I don't consider Spiderman 1 and 2 (THERE WAS NO 3) to be Sam Raimi movies.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #184 on: December 27, 2010, 03:37:49 PM

I would argue that I think some writers/directors/artists can take a character/setting they did not create and put so much of their own stamp on it that it could definitely be considered their work. Just the Batman mythos, I could say that Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams as well as Frank Miller took something from other creators and made wholly original works that could stand on their own (except for Dark Knight Strikes Back - that was fucking godawful).

Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #185 on: December 27, 2010, 03:57:48 PM

Fine, his Batman stuff is his best work but I don't really consider it his work. Much like I don't consider Spiderman 1 and 2 (THERE WAS NO 3) to be Sam Raimi movies.

Agree with this. Also didnt see what the big deal was about Inception. It was like a bad boring Bond movie with parts of The Italian Job added in.

Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #186 on: December 27, 2010, 04:05:55 PM

I can't think of any Bond movie that is as boring as Inception.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #187 on: December 27, 2010, 04:25:35 PM

Nolan's movies are good, not great.  They all seem to make me not want to re-watch them. 

But you have to give the guy credit for his ambition.  Memento, a movie told backwards and Inception, a dream within a dream within a dream. 
schild
Administrator

Reply #188 on: December 27, 2010, 04:30:03 PM

Inception wasn't a dream within a dream within a dream.

It was just a poorly edited action movie that happened to be gorgeous.

Silent Hill's ending did the same thing, but better. Yea, I went there, choke that down.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #189 on: December 29, 2010, 12:07:45 PM

Ellen page is cute as fuck.

That said, I dug it more for the beauty of it as well. The story was bog standard though. The biggest kick I got was just noticing that their city of dreams was partially shot in my old neighborhood in Tokyo.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #190 on: January 01, 2011, 04:24:32 AM

The dream-within-a-dream bit isn't really interesting in terms of overarching plot.  However, it allows Inception's action scenes to correlate with subconscious states, identity construction/deconstruction, and meaning/purpose.  Placing action scenes inside the realm of the subconscious allows for alot of play regarding those themes. That fucking hit the spot for me.  Memento and The Prestige explore those themes as well, but I think Inception does it best.  Simply a fantastic, A+ movie, despite it being kind of pigeonholed into a 'summer action blockbuster' kind of deal.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #191 on: January 01, 2011, 01:11:49 PM

Saw this a couple weeks ago. It was aight.
I tried putting it on during Xmas holiday, and my mom was all "So far, not interesting!" before they even finished up the first dream thing. So I turned it off and put in the WB animated Wonder Woman movie.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #192 on: January 03, 2011, 07:16:49 AM

You people are broken. I've known this for awhile but some of your reactions to Inception only confirms it. It was a damn good, smart sci-fi movie.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #193 on: January 03, 2011, 07:22:33 AM

ITT: Posters compare good, decent, even awesome movies to movies that never existed, yet were infinitely better and changed the world, or somthing.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #194 on: February 15, 2011, 04:36:32 AM

You people are broken. I've known this for awhile but some of your reactions to Inception only confirms it. It was a damn good, smart sci-fi movie.

Yes, this is a late reply...

Don't look at me.  I loved Inception.  Nolan for me is one of the top 5 directors working today.  In fact, I feel particularly blessed that even though most of 2010's movies sucked, I got new movies from Nolan, Aronofsky, the Coens, Danny Boyle, and to a lesser extent, David Fincher.  On average, 2010 wasn't really a great year for film, but I think the high points were really fucking strong.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #195 on: February 16, 2011, 08:11:26 PM

The wife liked it a lot.

I just have a hard time admitting to myself the Leo somehow became a decent actor. (Or someone who has an amazing ability to pick roles.)

And I totally agree Ellen Page is cute.

Boring but visually interesting is a great way to describe the film.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #196 on: February 17, 2011, 04:57:00 AM

Leo was always an OK actor, most of my hate was directed at the phenomenon that turned women into gibbering teenage masses over him.  Much like my hate for Twilight. (well, that and fucking sparkly emo vampires.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #197 on: February 17, 2011, 09:36:47 AM

Same reason guys hated Duran Duran in the 80's, because the girls liked them.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #198 on: February 17, 2011, 11:49:34 AM

I hated their music.  AND the videos made me want to smack them and MTV. 

Come home from a night out at least half in the bag, grab something to eat, hoping to stare at Pat Benetar's ass while she sings whatever in that black jump suit or Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love girls and have to endure Duran Duran being... well, Duran Duran.   Like a hot needle in the eye.  Yeah, I guess I hate them.  And girls definitely had something to do with it, but not in the way that you implied.

Somehow now I'm remember the Safety Dance assholes as well.  REALLY hate them.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #199 on: February 17, 2011, 02:50:29 PM

Safety Dance is like some weird-ass nightmare. I want to see a video of it slowed down to half speed, with Marilyn Manson's "Sweet Dreams" playing under it.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #200 on: February 19, 2011, 05:11:48 AM

I loved Duran Duran.

At least 'til the album after Notorious.

And as other people have said, Leo has always been a decent actor. Partially because of the roles he's chosen and partially just because, yeah he can actually act. Basketball Diaries was the shit.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #201 on: February 21, 2011, 01:30:04 PM

First thing I saw Leo in was Romeo + Juliet by Baz Luhrman, an otherwise solid flick. But based on his performance in that, I didn't think he'd ever act again. I'm glad to see his career went forward.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Sand
Terracotta Army

Reply #202 on: February 21, 2011, 01:50:02 PM

I think his best has been "Catch Me If You Can" from 2002 with Tom Hanks.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #203 on: February 22, 2011, 10:56:52 PM

The Departed gets a close second.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Korachia
Terracotta Army

Reply #204 on: February 24, 2011, 02:41:06 AM

His performance in Shutter Island was also quite good.
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #205 on: February 25, 2011, 01:58:06 AM

He's quite interesting, he really doesn't make that many films, but where he does he makes great films in which he is the star, He has only made 17 films since the basketball diaries in 1995. Compared to actors of a similar age who have made more films (I generally used 1995 as the benchmark or nearest to): Ben Affleck (33), Matt Damon (~43), Mark Walhberg (24 since Basketball Diaries), Ethan Suplee (~37), Christian Bale (~26), Edward Norton (22). The actor who has done the closest number of films is Orlando Bloom (18), although the quality if his films, and the significance of his part in them does not compare to Leo.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #206 on: February 25, 2011, 03:45:35 PM

He took a break from acting, I thought, to get away from the Titanic craze, then slowly reinserted himself into quality pieces. Also, probably can afford to be picky because of the money he made off Titanic?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
K9
Terracotta Army

Reply #207 on: February 25, 2011, 04:32:40 PM

He did Man in the Iron Mask and some other film I have never heard of (Celebrity) in 98, the year after Titanic. Man in the Iron Mask is a decent film and he's good in it. I'd say it's more the latter, he can pick and chose and given how highly he is regarded I'm guessing he tends to get the best scripts going. His track record suggests quality rather than quantity; he hasn't done any voiceover work for animation or video games (which I believe is more of money thing than artistic quality thing?).

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #208 on: February 26, 2011, 06:17:02 AM

He was also a big party guy in his youth, but I think he's slowed that side down and now considers what he wants to act in, rather than picking a film based on its shooting location.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Inception  
Jump to: